ORAS OU Special Mega Altaria

I've made a team revolving around Mega Altaria as a special attacker. I haven't tested it yet, so help is appreciated!

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Roost
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

The star of the show, Altaria-M. I decided to run a special attacker over physical, as the last team I ran with a physical Altaria-M was way to weak to burns, and just prankster users in general. Anyway, I chose Altaria as it has loads of resistances, great bulk, and a move pool that compliments its offensive stats very well. Hyper Voice was the obvious move for STAB, Roost for recovery, and Fire Blast and Earthquake were for coverage over most of Altaria's counters.

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

Although a very standard Bisharp set, it still hits like a truck. I chose Black Glasses over Life Orb as Bisharp is pretty frail, and 3/4 of his moves in my set are dark anyway. Sucker Punch is helpful for anything faster than Bisharp that doesn't resist it, Iron Head for steel STAB and fairy coverage, Knock Off for the obvious, and Pursuit for switch predictions.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Heatran is a great albeit obvious partner for Altaria-M, covering all of its weaknesses. The Air Balloon gives Heatran at least one turn to get damage off before taking an Earthquake, should everything on my team immune to ground have fainted. Fire Blast is a strong STAB move, Earth Power is there for coverage, Taunt for stopping setup sweepers, and Stealth Rock for force switches when Heatran comes in.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Rotom is the team's main physical wall. Will-O-Wisp stops any and all physical attackers and may force them out, Volt Switch for safe switches, Hydro Pump for STAB and coverage, and Pain Split to gain extra recovery coupled with the Leftovers.

Latias @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Trick

Latias is the Defog supporter, and has an interesting role on the team. Trick once again stops setup sweepers, and Psyshock as well as Draco Meteor appear for STAB, and Defog for hazard coverage.

Serperior @ Wide Lens
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power Fire
- Substitute

Serperior is meant to play as a mid to late game sweeper. Leaf Storm obviously appears, and Dragon Pulse is there for coverage, along with HP Fire. Substitute is there mainly for force switches, or if I know that it is faster than the opponent and can take a hit before the sub fades. I chose Wide Lens over Life Orb as this thing would be KO'd very easily, as well as to compensate for Leaf Storm's not so great accuracy.

The ev spread for rotom-w are :248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe to be able to outspeed bellydrumer jolly azu and bold nature to get the best defense

Latias is used to be bulky defoger and healing wisher but in your team you don't need latias

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fire/Roost
- Defog

Work better then latias in your team
Your team look like good

Mur

If you're not first you're last
Hey man cool team! I think I have a few suggestions to improve it though! First I would change pursuit to swords dance on bisharp. Your team really does not fear the latis or bulky psychics too much and nothing on your team really needs them removed to do work so I don't think pursuit is necessary. Swords dance makes bisharp another win condition on your team and can easily take advantage of the opponents team being torn apart by serp and the surprise special altaria.

I would also change heatran to the bulky spdef set. Heatran is a key member to your defensive core so maximizing it's bulk will provide the best results for the role it is meant to preform. Despite serp being on the team you really lack a way to reliably break stall so the toxic+taunt combo aids in breaking down fatter cores for your team further. The extra bulk+lefties also gives heatran some longevity so keeping up rocks throughout the game will be a lot easier than with offensive tran.

Two small changes here. I would change latias to latios, swap wide lens to leftovers, and run hp ground over fire on serp. The change with the latis is simply because latios has more power so it can reliably revenge things a lot better than latias can. Hp ground seems to work a lot better for this team since altaria will be luring ferrothorn all day and can easily be removed early game in this manner. The scizors are also not too threatening since the heatran+rotom core walls them to hell and back so hp ground just gives serp more opportunities to clean up than before since you no longer have to wait for an opposing heatran to go down.
If you are using sub an serperior you want leftovers to give you some residual recovery plus wide lens is not too viable to be completely honest.

Nice team hope I helped! I'l leave the changes in the tab below.

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Trick

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Lava Plume

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Substitute

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright so the biggest problem with your team is, ironically, a big Altaria weakness, though to the DD set and not the Mixed set. Heatran seems like an okay switchin until you realise to does nothing back, so Altaria can just pop the Balloon and EQ it. MGardevoir is also a huge threat since it stomps your revenge killer to the ground and nothing switches in (Heatran, your only Fairy resist, takes a ton from Focus Blast). The easy way out here is Scarf Excadrill>Scarf Latias. Excadrill can revenge kill all those pesky Fairies and also acts as a revenge killer in general.

However, I don't actually recommend this unless you want to preserve as much of your team as possible. There are 3 problems with this : firstly, you become a bit more Water-weak, secondly, you become a bit more Fighting-weak, (specifically, you become super weak to Lopunny which you rely on Latias to check, and Altaria isn't a great swicthin since Return cleanly 2HKOs), and thirdly, Scarf Excadrill just isn't that good, getting locked into Rapd Spin being a pretty bad thing. The first weakness is IMO no big deal since you already have 3 water resists and Keldeo isn't too big a threat to your team so you're covered on that front, but the 3 other problems are actual problems. The best way to fix them would be to just make your team a sand team, by putting Hippowdon on your team and make Excadrill a Sand Rush variant. I'd probably recommend Air Balloon to switch into EQs from Altaria and EPowers from Diancie more easily, but LO gives Excadrill a bunch more power.

As for what to replace Hippowdon for, although Heatran may seem more obvious, losing him gives you a ridiculous weakness to Venusaur, so I suggest running Hippowdon over Bisharp instead and changing Heatran's set so that it doesn't carry SR anymore which it doesn't need. If you want to, you can replace Heatran for another Venusaur check such as Talonflame (if you still want strong physical Priority) or even go back to Latios or Latias which can serve as an additional swicthin to Keldeo, and maybe carry Defog so that you can fit a moveslot for Swords Dance on Excadrill. Both of these Pokemon make you more resistant to Fighting types as well, so they're both very good options, though Heatran is a much more reliable Venusaur check (it can carry EQ I guess, but it's very rare). This really boils down to which of the 3 you prefer, I reccomend trying all 3 out seperately. You could I guess run Hippowdon>Rotom-W since they check the same range of threats, but then Azumarill could become very annoying, and more importantly, you lose a pivot and therefore a great way of getting Excadrill and Serperior in safely. I think running a sand core would work quite well on this team in general since, although you lose Bisharp which is a shame from my experience Altaria and Serperior work very well with sand cores because of what they check and what Sand Rush Excadrill checks for them.

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Excadrill @ Air Baloon / Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature / Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin / Swords Dance

Hippowdon @ Smooth Rock / Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Toxic / Whirlwind

Heatran @ Leftovers / Air Baloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power / Substitute
- Toxic
- Taunt
(this is just an example, as long as you run a set with Taunt and enough speed for standard Venusaur you're fine, this one has the advantage of completely removing Venusaurs that are stupid enough to stay in and try to Leech Seed you)

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost
(good at overpowering physical walls for Excadrill to come in and clean later)

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Def
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp / Taunt
- Bulk Up / Taunt
(takes Venu's Sludge Bomb pretty well, cripples stuff like Lando-T and Hippo for Exca and can also provide you with a secondary stallbreaker if you choose to run Taunt)

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Defog / Calm Mind
- Roost

Latias (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Defog
- Roost / Healing Wish

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)