Projects SS National Dex UU Metagame Discussion

Niadev

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
(op shamelessly creatively borrowed from here which was stolen from here, cannot wait for the SV oldgens thread to creatively borrow the format from this one to continue the chain)

SS National Dex UU Discussion Thread
This thread is dedicated to the discussion of the SS National Dex UU metagame. Discussion topics span from such things as metagame developments, set innovations, and general observations you have noticed as of late. You are welcome to post anything you like as far as the metagame goes, with a few simple rules. The resources can be found from here.

Rules:
  • Do not ask simple questions here; instead, post them to our Simple Question, Simple Answer thread.
  • Do not post one-liners that contribute nothing to the discussion. We do not ask that you write giant paragraphs with each post; we simply ask that you ensure your post has substance and adds to the discussion.

Here are some prompts to help guide your thinking:
  • What are your personal favorite Pokemon to use in the metagame, and why?
  • What current cores do you find to be strong or fun to use?
  • Do you like the current metagame, or find it to be well balanced? Why or why not?

Remember that at any point, moderators have the discretion to intervene or remove posts as necessary

If I had to pick one pokemon out of all of UU then it would be greninja hands down. He's faster than alot of mons, ice beam goes crazy with protein and pairing that with Specs or life Orb makes it shred through some teams. I can't count how many times people have forfeited because of the specs set

Welcome back everyone! I'm TheShowdownHoedown, your resident Natdex UU voice! It is finally time to unload all my SS NDUU thoughts :D. What a breath of fresh air!

I think the metagame is in a solid state atm. Many different playstyles are good atm and pretty much every threat in the meta rn has enough room to checked or outplayed imo. Pretty much every friendly I've had has been some sort of fun. There isnt anything stupidly broken atm imo. Firstly, I'll go over some mons that, imo are improving or are interesting atm

:sv/cobalion:

This mon is super great and is one of our more splashable steels rn imo. You check so many important mons rn from :scizor: to :nihilego: to :hydreigon: (somewhat) as well as setting rocks pretty consistently. You have options to lure otherwise good checks like SEdge for :moltres: as well as Megahorn for :slowking: and :tangrowth: . Safety Goggles is also pretty cool to turn :amoonguss:, especially foul play ones, into fodder for SD. Its also one of the best Knock Off absorbers, having a positive MU into :scizor: as well as :bisharp: and getting a boost from Justified. SD can even fit rocks onto the set asw if u need it. Overall W mon imo.

:sv/volcanion:

Also very good rn. It is super annoying to switch into, with little resisting the STAB combo and getting worn down quickly. It is one of our better Defoggers, as u force out a lot of rockers like :rhyperior: and :hippowdon: and usually chips something very hard. the water immunity is also invaluable in a metagame with 10000 good strong waters (:urshifu-rapid-strike: :keldeo: :primarina: :rotom-wash:). cool mon.

:sv/dragonite:

This mon is potentially one of the most slept on picks rn. It doesn't have the same sweeping potential as :salamence: but u do have a much-improved time setting up due to Multiscale. The coverage issues hurt at times but STABs + Fire Punch hits most things enough. Defensive sets could also be interesting, as you have some stuff over :salamence: like Heal Bell and the aforementioned Multiscale. Explore this mon more.

:sv/diggersby:

Underrated. Choice Scarf is honestly p solid. not outspeeding :zeraora: is such an L and u lack defensive utility outside of the 2 immunities, but its a super scary mon at times. stabs are gross, movepool is very good between koff/spikes/u-turn. Interesting stuff :3

Speaking of interesting stuff, I'd like to talk about a few Pokemon that are seen as unviable by the playerbase but I believe have more than enough of a case to be used. This metagame has seen its fair share of experimentation and Ive seen that you should be very careful what you deem as garbage.

:sv/togekiss:

Stop sleeping on this. This mon has so much potential it's not even funny. Firstly, its typing is simply fantastic. You are able to check mons like :zarude: defensive variants of :salamence: :hydreigon: . You also resist the STABs of :buzzwole: and :mienshao: can throw, but be careful of the rock/ice coverage. You also are one of the best checks to :primarina: in the entire tier. Specs is a rarity and u completely take a dump upon the other sets, allowing teams it's on to breathe a sigh of relief when seeing it in the builder and have more flexibility as a result. Mon also pressures :amoonguss: :tangrowth: Checking this mon is also not as simple as it seems, as :rotom-wash: and :rotom-h: struggle to pressure it if they are not Scarf, as Togekiss is faster. It also provides valuableutility like Heal Bell, which allows teammates to take more risks as well as letting Togekiss completely curbstomp many defensive Pokemon such as :hippowdon: :slowking: :skarmory: etc;. Steels like :celesteela: and :aegislash: must worry about fire coverage if it potentially has it, and many popular steels rn like :scizor: :cobalion: are not flying resists. In fact, the former cannot OHKO with Bullet Punch unless it is at +2 or if it is Band. Usage of good checks like :nihilego: and :rhyperior: have also decreased. Revenge killing is mostly through stuff like :zeraora: :terrakion: :roserade: :manectric-mega: which are common threats but some arent that eager to switch in unless pivoted in by something else. Low-key this mon might even be good. (Theres my hot take of the day :psycry: ). Imo valuable traits and is very different from malt, who my friends have constantly compared it to for no reason asides from both being thick fairies.

:sv/dhelmise:

This one is a little spicier but whatever. This mon is very niche but has interesting applications. Mon has a lot of good attributes for spikestack, a playstyle that took off before the gen ended. Mon is able to check a lot of waters like Keld Prim and IPunch-less Shifu. It also spins and not fogs, so u keep ur own hazards. Rhyperior is also very scared of u asw. Pairs well with spikes and beneficiaries too. Is also a t-arrows resist which helps with zydog which can be annoying. interesting stuff!

Ok thats it, cya guys later ;-;

Meminger21

Lágrimas Ocultas
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
It's been a while since someone posted here, so I'll show some teams that I built mainly after Hydreigon was freed and talk a bit about the metagame and my building process (that is, if I still remember).

Basically, I think all my teams are quite alike. For example, all of them have a poison-type, since these pokemons are usually really great overall and can be used as a special sponge, while also keeping Altaria-M and sub/toxic Aegis at check, the main ones in this tier are Amoonguss, Nihilego, Nidoqueen, Roserade and Slowbro-G. Another role that I find important in this tier is being able to deal with Rotom-W, grass-types were the main ways to keep them at check but now with Hydreigon it's easier to forgo them and it is also a great fit on more offensive teams.

About the metagame there's not much to be said as no tour happened since last year but there's some mons that I see a lot of potential. Diggersby is an incredible scarfer, being able to revenge kill a lot of stuff and make progress with knock off or spikes and regain momentum with u-turn, although being a ground-type affects it since in most teams you'd rather not go with double ground, but it's still really great. Hydreigon is an incredible pokemon, being able to act as a revenge killer with scarf or wallbreaker with specs or life orb sets, it's essential that you have a way to absorb its attacks and rk it, mons like Hippo, Nihi, Altaria-M, Primarina, Swampert, Cobalion,Amoonguss and Mienshao can absorb some of the hits but it's important to have more than one check to it. Hippowdon imo is one of the best, if not the best, pokemon in the tier, it's ability to keep so many things at check while setting rocks and having a reliable recovery makes it really annoying to break, ofc there are a lot of ways to punish it, since it's a very predictable mon but I still find it an extremely effective pokemon.

:Hydreigon: :Roserade: :Swampert: :Scizor: :Zeraora: :Buzzwole:

:Hydreigon: :Nihilego: :Diggersby: :Tangrowth: :Aegislash: :Rotom-Wash:

:Primarina: :Skarmory: :Scizor: :Hydreigon: :Nidoqueen: :Azelf:

:Crobat: :Cobalion: :Bisharp: :Nihilego: :Rotom-Wash: :Tangrowth: (Idk if I ever used this one honestly)

The next 3 follow a very similar structure:

:Primarina: :Cobalion: :Amoonguss: :Hippowdon: :Moltres: :Diggersby:

:Primarina: :Cobalion: :Tangrowth: :Nihilego: :Moltres: :Diggersby:

:Primarina: :Cobalion: :Amoonguss: :Hippowdon: :Moltres: :Hydreigon:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)