SM OU Standard Offense

Introduction:

Hello, this is my third RMT ever, and first of sun and moon, and i am generally pretty bad at them so hopefully this will be ok. I wanted to make a very offensive team with Mega Mawile, but not built directly around mega mawile. I am not the best team builder, so the team is pretty standard and uses many generic sets. The team is so standard it may have already been made before for all i know.

Analysis
Team Building/

upload_2017-4-12_1-57-44.png

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt​

I feel like Tapu Koko is one of the best mons in the current meta game. Its great speed tier and powerful electric stab gives it great offensive presence. I chose a taunt set as I feel like having taunt is super important with the njnp web team running around, and sticky web rising in popularity (the imsosorrylol team is absolutely amazing). Thunderbolt is obvious stab. Hidden power ice can punish Garchomp and landorus that may come in on a predicted electric move. I chose u-turn over volt switch in a tough decision, giving up power for the ability to hit grounds. Taunt is absolutely necessary for taunting opposing smeargles, and hazard setters which give this team trouble. The spread is standard max speed max spatk.

upload_2017-4-12_2-0-44.png

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance​
Mega Mawile is my favorite mega and i was super happy when i found out it was being released to sun and moon. Mawile packs a massive punch and is the main wallbreaker team. I chose to use and SD set to allow it to tear holes through teams that lack speed, or are weak to sucker punch. I chose thunder punch as a fourth move as it hits skarmory and toxapex/alomamola. I have considered running fire fang over thunderpunch. The spread has enough speed to outspeed neutral base 70s, which i have also considered changing.

upload_2017-4-12_2-8-13.png

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 28 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn​
I put landorus-therian on almost all my teams because it is just so good at what it does. I chose to use the standard physically defensive set with hidden power ice. Stealth rocks are huge as the apply the chip damage to let my sweepers sweep. Hidden power ice is for opposing landorus and dragons, which are frequent match ups for landorus. U-turn is to provide momentum and get switch ins for my hitters.

upload_2017-4-12_2-14-38.png

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Hydro Pump​
Ah the superior greninja, protean. Protean greninja is so good in this meta as it is hard to switch into and can clean teams very well. It also has the guess factor as opponents may not know if it is ash or not. Ice beam is a great move as it provides amazing coverage. Gunk shot is mainly for tapu fini and other fairys as they are often a switch in to greninja. hidden power fire is for coverage against mons like ferrothorn which mawile cannot deal with. I chose Hydro pump over extrasensory as i felt i wasn't that in need of the psychic stab.I used the standard mixed spread.
upload_2017-4-14_0-28-48.png

Magearna @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast​
This spot of the team was originally a set up volcarona. The decision to change was made based on the realization that the team did not have enough support for a volcarona. SO the choice was to switch it to a trick room magearna. Magearna packs a punch and has late game cleaning potential after a trick room is set up. Dual stabs provide decent coverage, with z focus blast to hit steels. The trick room magearna can set can also help mawile in certain scenarios.
upload_2017-4-14_0-29-2.png

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide
- Outrage​
This spot on the team was originally a scarf latios. The decision to change was based on the removal of volcarona, making the team no longer weak to hazards. scarfchomp has become on of the key members of the team as it hits a solid speed tier and still packs a punch. the standard scarf chomp set was used with dual stab and rock slide.
Threatlist
Tapu Lele: Specs lele is super hard to switch into if i don't have something on the field that can handle it. Scarf lele provides exual trouble as it outspeeds a lot of the team and most pokemon are 2hkod by it's dual stab
Tapu Koko: Offensive koko is hard to switch into and has great coverage against this team. I don't have a great way of handling fully offensive koko besides chipping it to death or sacrificing a mon to a heavy hit.
Zapdos: Offensive zapdos can be really hard to switch into, especially if electric terrain is still up from my koko.
Mamoswine: Although relatively uncommon it is important to note that mamoswine can destroy this team if played well

Importable
Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Mawile @ Mawilite
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 28 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dark Pulse

Magearna @ Fightinium Z
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide
- Outrage

Last edited:
hey, so i like this team and it's definitely a good iteration of what's considered standard, but I do have a few suggestions that could improve it.

the weakness you have to tapu lele is the result is using a relatively frail Steel-type in mega mawile. not saying you shouldn't use it but you usually have to stack steels when building a mega mawile team for a sturdier psychic resist. this brings me to my first suggestion of ferrothorn > latios. what ferrothorn specifically does it fill your bulky Steel-type gap while also providing you with a bulky Water resist for greater insurance against Tapu Koko, Ash-Greninja and Greninja without HP Fire. It also sets up Spikes which is amazing support for Volcarona and Mega Mawile to have an easier time pulling off sweeps. with the loss of latios you get weaker against boosted threats and mons such as mega charizard y, but i'll address that later in the rate. for now, a neat tech would be thunder wave + chople berry on ferrothorn so cripple threats that attempt to use it as setup fodder such as volcarona or a free switch-in like mega charizard y. chople berry is used to tank a hit from mega medicham and catching it with thunder wave which makes it a lot easier to deal with. ferro does have to be really healthy though (around 80%) to lure medicham though, so leftovers would be a superior alternative if you don't like those chances. Protect is also a dope option to punish mindless High Jump Kick spam. Also nice for free leech seed + leftovers recovery
Ferrothorn @ Chople Berry / Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SpD
Impish Nature
- Power Whip
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave / Protect.
- Leech Seed

since we can't use a team with volcarona without hazard removal (you can but let's not take those chances) a hazard remover is in order. so my next suggestion is starmie > greninja. while greninja is definitely amazing it didn't really pull it's weight on your team besides functioning as an unpredictable attacker. however, starmie is a decent alternative as it holds very similar coverage bar gunk shot and slightly lower speed. it also gives you a replacement soft check to keldeo where latios was at first. HP Fire is definitely a good option to snipe Ferrothorn looking for a free Spikes stack, so you don't lose out on too much greninja had at first and you're not worn down too much desperately removing hazards.
Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin

now to address the problem concerning speed control with the loss of a Scarfer, you should try out Choice Scarf Tapu Koko. It's a pretty decent set since it has such an outrageous speed tier that it outruns other common Scarfers and revenge kills dangerous threats just as good as the common Scarfers. A Naughty Nature along with Brave Bird is good for being able to revenge kill Volcarona. You don't miss out on much by gimping the speed tier since you still outrun relevant Scarfers.
Tapu Koko @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Electric Terrain
Naughty Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Brave Bird
- U-turn

As for smaller changes, Mega Mawile should be running Knock Off > Thunder Punch. Reason being its such great overall coverage in conjunction with your set and its useful for smacking such a wide variety of things including Toxapex and Celesteela for very heavy damage. Psychium-Z > Firium-Z on Volcarona alongside Psychic > Hidden Power [Ground]. With this change Volcarona has a much easier time breaking past its usual checks and counters with a powerful Shattered Psyche. The lack of HP Ground doesn't bother your team too much considering Spikes wear down Heatran very quickly, Thunder Wave from Ferro, Starmie, chip, Sucker Punch, pivoting, Knock Off basically there's a ton of factors that make Heatran not that much of a threat to you without godlike prediction. Oh and be sure to use a Timid Nature to make the most out of Volcarona's speed tier.

How these suggestions help you out!

Last edited:
hey, so i like this team and it's definitely a good iteration of what's considered standard, but I do have a few suggestions that could improve it.

the weakness you have to tapu lele is the result is using a relatively frail Steel-type in mega mawile. not saying you shouldn't use it but you usually have to stack steels when building a mega mawile team for a sturdier psychic resist. this brings me to my first suggestion of ferrothorn > latios. what ferrothorn specifically does it fill your bulky Steel-type gap while also providing you with a bulky Water resist for greater insurance against Tapu Koko, Ash-Greninja and Greninja without HP Fire. It also sets up Spikes which is amazing support for Volcarona and Mega Mawile to have an easier time pulling off sweeps. with the loss of latios you get weaker against boosted threats and mons such as mega charizard y, but i'll address that later in the rate. for now, a neat tech would be thunder wave + chople berry on ferrothorn so cripple threats that attempt to use it as setup fodder such as volcarona or a free switch-in like mega charizard y. chople berry is used to tank a hit from mega medicham and catching it with thunder wave which makes it a lot easier to deal with. ferro does have to be really healthy though (around 80%) to lure medicham though, so leftovers would be a superior alternative if you don't like those chances.
Ferrothorn @ Chople Berry / Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SpD
Impish Nature
- Power Whip
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed

since we can't use a team with volcarona without hazard removal (you can but let's not take those chances) a hazard remover is in order. so my next suggestion is starmie > greninja. while greninja is definitely amazing it didn't really pull it's weight on your team besides functioning as an unpredictable attacker. however, starmie is a decent alternative as it holds very similar coverage bar gunk shot and slightly lower speed. it also gives you a replacement soft check to keldeo where latios was at first. HP Fire is definitely a good option to snipe Ferrothorn looking for a free Spikes stack, so you don't lose out on too much greninja had at first and you're not worn down too much desperately removing hazards.
Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin

now to address the problem concerning speed control with the loss of a Scarfer, you should try out Choice Scarf Tapu Koko. It's a pretty decent set since it has such an outrageous speed tier that it outruns other common Scarfers and revenge kills dangerous threats just as good as the common Scarfers. A Naughty Nature along with Brave Bird is good for being able to revenge kill Volcarona. You don't miss out on much by gimping the speed tier since you still outrun relevant Scarfers.
Tapu Koko @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Electric Terrain
Naughty Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Brave Bird
- U-turn

As for smaller changes, Mega Mawile should be running Knock Off > Thunder Punch. Reason being its such great overall coverage in conjunction with your set and its useful for smacking such a wide variety of things including Toxapex and Celesteela for very heavy damage. Psychium-Z > Firium-Z on Volcarona alongside Psychic > Hidden Power [Ground]. With this change Volcarona has a much easier time breaking past its usual checks and counters with a powerful Shattered Psyche. The lack of HP Ground doesn't bother your team too much considering Spikes wear down Heatran very quickly, Thunder Wave from Ferro, Starmie, chip, Sucker Punch, pivoting, Knock Off basically there's a ton of factors that make Heatran not that much of a threat to you without godlike prediction. Oh and be sure to use a Timid Nature to make the most out of Volcarona's speed tier.

How these suggestions help you out!
I tried some of your changes and i really like them. The ferrothorn starmie changes helps me handle things i previously wasn't able to do. I kept taunt koko even though i am weak on speed now, i really wanted to keep the taunt. i also like the Knock off>T punch. I will use it a bit more and decide if i want the changes to be final

TEAM OVERVIEW: The first half of this team seems to have a lot of obvious synergy (Koko Mawile and Landorus make an obvious and threatening pivot/breaker core). The last 3 mons however seem to lack any sort of synergy with the rest of the team. Offensive Volcarona sets like that one require a lot of team support because right now every team packs at least one Volcarona check that you are going to have to somehow lure out and defeat before Volcarona can do anything. Scarf Latios is mediocre at best especially as a defogger. Mega Mawile and Koko seem fine to me and I wouldn't make any changes to their sets t-punch + Koko is especially nice. You are also critically weak to a number of very popular threats such as: Opposing Tapu koko, Metagross, Tapu lele and opposing Greninja. I have two minor changes in mind and two major changes. The minor changes first.
a: The very first minor change i'm going to recommend is to your
set. Metagross is a huge threat to your team with your only real answer being Mawile's sucker punch which is less than ideal as it's easy to play around and is a risk to Mawile. For this reason I would recommend running dark pulse over hydro pump. Although yes you can bluff dark pulse this wont always work and you need dark pulse to scare/rk Metagross. Hydro pump doesn't tend to hit much bar mixed Mega Sableye anyway but with the increased popularity of Phys def spreads and the addition of Magearna below it should not be a problem.

b: The second minor change is to your
set. Koko is a problem for this team with no real answers anywhere. Running yache berry on Lando over rocky helmet is a nice bandage to this threat as it lures Koko into thinking that it can 2hko you with hp ice as you eq it or it can force it out.

1: The first major change i'm going to recommend is to completely remove
in favour of
. As I mentioned earlier Volcarona is difficult to use effectively right now. Setup Magearna can bring a similar level of offensive pressure whilst offering other things to the team like being able to check Greninja and Lele. A Z fightinium trick room set is probably best. Trick room allows you to bring bulk that's close to AV without losing the setup potential of shift gear. Z Fightinium will allow you to break past things like Ferrothorn and Heatran that the team otherwise struggles with. Magearna also greatly aids the stall matchup as it can give you a favourable lead against Mega Sableye which would cost you momentum otherwise.
Magearna @ Fightinium Z
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast

2: The second major change I would make is to swap out
for scarf
they do very similar things but Garchomp is significantly more threatening for a number of reasons. It can RK things like Heatran, Tapu koko and Magearna which can otherwise be troubling and it is a more reliable answer to offensive Volcarona. Garchomp can also be an effective win con in it's own right against offensive teams in the late game with the sweeping potential of scarf outrage and earthquake that Latios lacks. This is partly because opposing Landorus is pressured by Mawile as it has to repeatedly switch into it's powerful hits.
Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide
- Outrage

Last edited:
TEAM OVERVIEW: The first half of this team seems to have a lot of obvious synergy (Koko Mawile and Landorus make an obvious and threatening pivot/breaker core). The last 3 mons however seem to lack any sort of synergy with the rest of the team. Offensive Volcarona sets like that one require a lot of team support because right now every team packs at least one Volcarona check that you are going to have to somehow lure out and defeat before Volcarona can do anything. Scarf Latios is mediocre at best especially as a defogger. Mega Mawile and Koko seem fine to me and I wouldn't make any changes to their sets t-punch + Koko is especially nice. You are also critically weak to a number of very popular threats such as: Opposing Tapu koko, Metagross, Tapu lele and opposing Greninja. I have two minor changes in mind and two major changes. The minor changes first.
a: The very first minor change i'm going to recommend is to your
set. Metagross is a huge threat to your team with your only real answer being Mawile's sucker punch which is less than ideal as it's easy to play around and is a risk to Mawile. For this reason I would recommend running dark pulse over hydro pump. Although yes you can bluff dark pulse this wont always work and you need dark pulse to scare/rk Metagross. Hydro pump doesn't tend to hit much bar mixed Mega Sableye anyway but with the increased popularity of Phys def spreads and the addition of Magearna below it should not be a problem.

b: The second minor change is to your
set. Koko is a problem for this team with no real answers anywhere. Running yache berry on Lando over rocky helmet is a nice bandage to this threat as it lures Koko into thinking that it can 2hko you with hp ice as you eq it or it can force it out.

1: The first major change i'm going to recommend is to completely remove
in favour of
. As I mentioned earlier Volcarona is difficult to use effectively right now. Setup Magearna can bring a similar level of offensive pressure whilst offering other things to the team like being able to check Greninja and Lele. A Z fightinium trick room set is probably best. Trick room allows you to bring bulk that's close to AV without losing the setup potential of shift gear. Z Fightinium will allow you to break past things like Ferrothorn and Heatran that the team otherwise struggles with. Magearna also greatly aids the stall matchup as it can give you a favourable lead against Mega Sableye which would cost you momentum otherwise.
Magearna @ Fightinium Z
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast

2: The second major change I would make is to swap out
for scarf
they do very similar things but Garchomp is significantly more threatening for a number of reasons. It can RK things like Heatran, Tapu koko and Magearna which can otherwise be troubling and it is a more reliable answer to offensive Volcarona. Garchomp can also be an effective win con in it's own right against offensive teams in the late game with the sweeping potential of scarf outrage and earthquake that Latios lacks. This is partly because opposing Landorus is pressured by Mawile as it has to repeatedly switch into it's powerful hits.
Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide
- Outrage
I really love these changes actually, and am gonna update the rmt for it. The only problem is it leaves me pretty weak to ground types if lando goes down, and insanely weak to mamoswine. Luckily mamoswine dips in usage past te 1400s so were good. thank you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)