Still having fun playing in the sandbox

Hi everyone, after playing around with the rain team from weeks ago i felt like changing the weather (we see enough rain troughout the year right?). I made both a sun and sand team and felt most comfortable with sand somehow.

The team at a glance:

At first when i was building this team i didnt really think of sand, i first thought: Wow Kyurem black has an insane attack stat, i should use him as a revenge killer. So that was the first addition to the team, a scarfed Kyurem Black

After that i thought about a dedicated sweeper. My alltime favorite pokemon 'recently' got unbanned from ubers if used with rough skin, so i gladly added him again -> Garchomp!

At this point i was thinking about what could ruin a garchomp sweep, eventho he has fire fang mosst steel types would ruin his momentum, defenatly when locked into outrage. Therefor i needed something to trap most of the steel types. In comes magnezone!

Then i wanted a defensive core for the team that has 'perfect' synergy with eachother. I opted for the combination of gliscor and jellicent.

Now i was thinking about weather, i needed something to counter it obviously. At first i was thinking: maybe just a pokemon that can do sunny day to atleast make the weather die out after a few turns. But then i thought having my own weather inducer was probably going to be easier. With that in mind i looked at the team and saw that 3/5 pokemon benefit from sandstorm so thats what i went with since the other weathers aren't going to help this team too much. So in comes tyranitar.

After some testing i felt like Kyurem isnt the best revenge killer because alot of the times he needed to revenge kill a bulky pokemon that could live trough most he had to offer. Because of that i replaced him with Latios, draco meteor is less accurate then outrage but atleast lets you switch out after the job is done.

As suggested, gliscor was replaced by ferrothorn. His synergy with jellicent is still awesome and the addition of spikes really helps this team alot.

In depth:

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
IVs: 31/2/31/30/31/30
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Latios is the revenge killer of the team. I'm not sure if he is perfect for the job but he has yet to let me down. With these moves he has some pretty decent coverage. He can, if magnezone fails, kill most of the steel types that could ruin a garchomp sweep however ferrothorn in the rain proves to be a big pain at the moment.

Garchomp @ Life Orb/Lum Berry
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang

Garchomp is the star of the team. It was built around him to allow him to set up and sweep. After a swordsdance there aren't many pokemon that can take a hit from garchomp. Even the known walls will be 3HKO'd at most. I'm not sure about life orb because garchomp has that natural bulk and with life orb picking away from it slowly feels counterefficient. Then again if you see the dammage he does with it you could think its worth is... i guess you could say i'm in a dilemma here.
I am currently testing out with lum berry over life orb, looking good so far.

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 SDef
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Charge Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

The trapper! Magnezone can make ferrothorns life miserable and can handle most other steel types very nicely aswell. Because bulldoze on ferrothorns is quite rare magnezone can easily boost up after his sub (that takes 3 gyro balls to be broken) and kill one more pokemon after killing ferrothorn. He can easily kill the likes of skarmory and forretress aswell. This boosting comes with a downside tho: If they have spikes, i will probably have 3 layers of spikes. Since i have no spinner on the team that can be quite troublesome.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 48 Def / 252 HP / 208 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn is the replacement for gliscor. His synergy with jellicent is still excellent while also beeing alot better at the walling part. This also makes my ice weakness a bit less prominent. I still have protect because it makes me able to scout for trickscarfers as they criple a ferrothorn so badly!

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Ice Fang

Gliscor is my physical wall, altho he doesnt have any Def EV's , he can still take some punches. He covers most of jellicents weaknesses wich makes me able to play around with ease. With protect i can scout for some moves of the enemies pokemon and heal up trough poison heal. Swordsdance is there to scare pokemon that think they can boost up against gliscor, because after a swordsdance, this gliscor can sweep pretty good himself. Ice fang is there to deall with dragons like garchomp that can't OHKO me.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Jellicent, or how some like to call it: Pringles. Other then having an impressive moustache he also has some impressive bulk. He is my special wall but can take some hits on the physical side too and then burn them so they become useless lateron. Ice beam is there mainly as a filler, it hasnt really proven to be usefull so far. I could put taunt there but i feel like jellicent is too slow to make taunt actually usefull. Who cares to get taunted after they get a swords dance off right?

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature

- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stealth Rock
- Superpower

Finally we got tyranitar, the weaather inducer. His role on the team is just creating the weather. His EV's make his attacks hurt but he can still take a hit because of his natural bulk + 252 HP EV's. I opted for both crunch and pursuit because a latios tends to think 'surf will KO' and then i crunch. Tyranitar also puts up my stealth rocks. Superpower is there as a last resort to deal with ferrothorn if all else failed.

Conclusion:

So far i've been having alot of fun with this team and it seems to work allright. It didn't peak that high on showdown (1780 highest) because it has some flaws for sure. I feel very ice weak after Jellicent dies, however i don't know by heart how i should/could fix that problem. The solution right now is : don't let jellicent die...
With gliscor replaced by ferrothorn the ice weaness i felt i had is kind of solved, but i still feel the team can improve.

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 SDef
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Charge Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Ice Fang

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Naughty Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stealth Rock
- Superpower

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Outrage
- Ice Beam
- Stone Edge

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Ice Fang

Thanks for reading and rating!

EDIT: Changes are in blue

Last edited:
I'd reccomend swapping either thunderbolt or charge beam on zone to HP Fire instead. Since you're using it to trap ferro and scar, HP Fire would be very beneficial.

Also, your ttar has no held item.

I'd reccomend swapping either thunderbolt or charge beam on zone to HP Fire instead. Since you're using it to trap ferro and scar, HP Fire would be very beneficial.

Also, your ttar has no held item.
Hi ty , i didnt notice untill now that he didnt have leftovers 0.0 thats fixed now.

As for HP fire, i tried that before and i find myself not using it much. With charge beam i boost up and then kill another pokemon with flash canon or thunderbolt because of stab its usually a OHKO.
Also alot of times ferro gets trapped in the rain so hp fire would be weakened so much that it barely makes a difference.

Why is Tyranitar Naughty Natured? It should be using Adamant Nature so it will not waste its impressive bulk.
And move the Sp.Atk investment to speed, you don't have any special moves on Ttar.

And you should keep Life Orb on Garchomp, because the power boost will be greatly missed if you remove it.

EDIT: If you don't want to lose HP, just use a plate(eg. Meadow Plate).

Garchomp should hold a Lum Berry to get rid of the confusion of his outrages.
Magnezone should run hp
fire with 31/2/31/30/31/30 IVs to hit Ferrothorn. Probably over Flash Cannon.
Latios should be running the same IVs.
You should swap Gliscor for Ferrothorn.
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 hp / 48 def / 208 spd
IVs: 0 spe
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect / Thunder Wave
- Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn is a better wall then Gliscor, and he and Jelly cover each others weaknesses perfectly, if you predict right you'll always take a resisted hit while leech seed is sapping at his health. (Note: this kind of prediction is very rare).
Jellicent should have 0 atk IVs.

Edit: Minor Grammar, Thanks Qualna

Last edited:
Why is Tyranitar Naughty Natured? It should be using Adamant Nature so it will not waste its impressive bulk.
And move the Sp.Atk investment to speed, you don't have any special moves on Ttar.

And you should keep Life Orb on Garchomp, because the power boost will be greatly missed if you remove it.

EDIT: If you don't want to lose HP, just use a plate(eg. Meadow Plate).
Thanks for the rate. I cant believe how flawed that Ttar was xD first no leftoves then wrong nature ... Eitherway his set is now fixed thanks for pointing that out!

Garchomp should hold a Lum Berry to get rid of the confusion of his outrages.
Magnezone should run hp
fire with 31/2/31/30/31/30 IVs to hit Ferrothorn. Probably over Flash Cannon.
Latios should be running the same IVs.
You should swap Gliscor for Ferrothorn.
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 hp / 48 def / 208 spd
IVs: 0 spe
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect / Thunder Wave
- Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn is a better wall then Gliscor, and he and Jelly cover each others weaknesses perfectly, if you predict right you'll always take a resisted hit while leech seed is sapping at his health. (Note: this kind of prediction is very rare).
Jellicent should have 0 atk IVs.

Edit: Minor Grammar, Thanks Qualna
Thank for your rate too! Ferrothorn is indeed a good addon to jellicent, i thought of him before but close to all my teams had him so far so i tried something new hehe. But i guess you cant beat a ferrothorn. Why those IV's if i may ask ? Probably a good explenation but i'd like to know ^^

I also feel like latios isnt always the best revenge killer. Are there any pokemons that would fit this job better? (without allowing breloom to walk all over me?)

Last edited:
Why those IV's if i may ask ? Probably a good explenation but i'd like to know
Certain IVs are required to get certain types of hidden powers. Minimal attack IVs minimizes damage from confusion and foul play at no cost to special attackers. 0 spe IVs on Ferrothorn allow for the most powerful Gyro Ball.

I also feel like latios isnt always the best revenge killer. Are there any pokemons that would fit this job better? (without allowing breloom to walk all over me?)
Terrakion is always boss, especially in sand, but he doesn't especially help with breloom. I think Alakazam could help you, not traditionally a Scarfer, but he can easily revenge with a sash.

Certain IVs are required to get certain types of hidden powers. Minimal attack IVs minimizes damage from confusion and foul play at no cost to special attackers. 0 spe IVs on Ferrothorn allow for the most powerful Gyro Ball.

Terrakion is always boss, especially in sand, but he doesn't especially help with breloom. I think Alakazam could help you, not traditionally a Scarfer, but he can easily revenge with a sash.
Thanks i will try that. With the IV's you suggested, will HP fire still be at full power? If i recall correctly its power scales with IV's , or is thats incorrect?

Isn't Latios a good Breloom counter?

But if you want other revenge killers that do his job better and is a good Breloom counter too, I will give you a short list.

Latias
Alakazam
Gengar
Celebi
Salamence
Scizor

Basically, most Breloom counters are fast/has priority, and has decent bulk or resists it's STAB.

To solve your HP problems just use this : http://www.psypokes.com/dex/hp.php

Isn't Latios a good Breloom counter?

But if you want other revenge killers that do his job better and is a good Breloom counter too, I will give you a short list.

Latias
Alakazam
Gengar
Celebi
Salamence
Scizor

Basically, most Breloom counters are fast/has priority, and has decent bulk or resists it's STAB.

To solve your HP problems just use this : http://www.psypokes.com/dex/hp.php
latios is an awesome breloom counter but i'm doubting if he is a good enough revenge killer is all :P Maybe i should run sleep talk over one of his moves ?

After some extra testing, i find that the team is balanced enough but i still cant get past 1750 points (altho i lost some points messing around with another team earlier on a side note)
I used lum berry over life orb in some fights and it felt almost the same unless when facing a wall it sometimes doesn't KO where life orb would have. Then again walls don't really have anything to hurt Garchomp too much so maybe thats ok ?

In some fights i feel like i really miss a rapid spinner, defenatly when i set up against ferrothorn with my magnezone, that almost garantuees 3 layers of spikes wich i have no answer to really.
I thought about adding a spinner... but where? at the moment i feel all the pokemons play an important role in clearing the path for garchomp :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)