Let's Play! Stun's HGSS Nuzlocke Progression Thread

I've been wanting to do this for a while, but I haven't been motivated to pick the game up due to schoolwork/lack of an audience to share it with. I also wanted to do something while waiting for BDSP because I can barely hold my excitement. I kinda forgot Orange Islands existed, so I decided why the hell not! It would be nice to have an outlet to talk about this to without the effort of, say, making youtube videos that'll probably garner little or no views. This first couple posts are to explain the rules I'll be following as well as having a current status of the team/major updates. Any discussion/strategy sharing is greatly encouraged!

Rules:
1. Basic Nuzlocke Rules. I can only catch the first Pokemon from each area (eggs it depends on where they're received from or from who) and any Pokemon that faints is dead and will be stored in a graveyard PC box. No revives, and dupes clause is in play (because having a team of 6 Pidgeys would literally suck).
2. No item usage in battle.
3. Chikorita is the starter. Why? Because it's notoriously the worst starter in existence/I like the challenge, I hate the Johto starters in general so at least this one has something going for it (even if its for the wrong reasons), and it's a cute mascot of course lol.
4. Not sure how I want to handle the Safari, whether I get one free "play until you catch" encounter or I treat it as my first encounter being my only possible catch. I wouldn't mind thoughts/suggestions on that.
5. Shiny Clause: Random shiny encounters will be considered a blessing from the gods and, no matter if it is a new encounter or not, will be allowed on the team. I will not be purposefully hunting for them of course.
6. Battle Mode is Set.

First Impressions:
  • Bugsy I'm worried about right away. U-turn is a bitch, and my starter is useless for the first 2 gyms (especially this one). My hope is to get a Geodude or an Onix that I can evolve into Steelix early on. The same goes to Whitney, although at least Chikorita shouldn't be totally useless in that battle. I've always wanted to try Steelix on an in-game team at some point.
  • I'm contemplating trying to get my Safari encounter to be Larvitar. Yes it would be a pain in the ass to train, but Tyranitar is such a badass and it would be huge for the post-game Kanto stuff/Elite Four.
  • This one's more minor, but I am OCD when it comes to natures/IVs. It gets really under my skin probably more than it should when my Pokemon have bad natures. I'll just have to get over it lol.
  • Grinding is going to be a pain. Everything is underleveled.
  • I'm playing HG to hopefully get a Growlithe. Intimidate/Fire coverage would be fantastic. Even Flash Fire I really wouldn't mind.
I also wouldn't mind nickname ideas. I'm bad at it, and I like names with some meaning behind them. I hope you guys enjoy this, and I can't wait to share this adventure! :)

Last edited:
I kinda forgot Smogoff existed
rude
Not sure how I want to handle the Safari, whether I get one free "play until you catch" encounter or I treat it as my first encounter is my only possible catch. I wouldn't mind thoughts/suggestions on that.
Honestly, do first encounter is the only catch. It's more exciting and scary.
I also wouldn't mind nickname ideas. I'm bad at it, and I like names with some meaning behind them. I hope you guys enjoy this, and I can't wait to share this adventure! :)
if you don't have a nickname for the Chikorita yet, name it "Bean"

if you don't have a nickname for the Chikorita yet, name it "Bean"
I like the Bean idea. It might be funny to name it Kidney lmao. The name Squishy or Slurpee are also possibilities. I'm from New Jersey, so Hoagie or Veggie Diablo are also being tossed around lmao

release chikorita
Literally go fuck yourself and apologize to the squishy boi. Maybe he'll bless you with a bountiful harvest in the future in exchange for your repentance. Don't fuck with NJ we're the Garden state lmao

Last edited:
Don't listen to all these losers, this is not a speedrun and Chikorita is easily the best starter for Nuzzlocke. Just don't use it as your main sweeper, support with Leech Seed, Synthesis and Body Slam paras ( Screens are also an option) instead and it will make it to the end game.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Hey there. Longtime HGSS fan here. I saw all the toxic crap happening with some of these replies and figured I could step in and try to offer some much needed positivity and advice.

1. In my opinion Chikorita actually isn’t that bad for a Nuzlocke, although I can’t say I’ve tried a Johto Nuzlocke myself just yet. Be sure to pick up the free Miracle Seed item from the guy on Route 32 to make your Grass-Type attacks stronger, and 100%, no matter what you do, absolutely take advantage of Reflect (and Light Screen if the TM is useable on it). Screens have the potential to save your Pokémon’s life. Also, later in the game, your Meganium should learn Petal Dance upon evolution, which is great for PP conservation and Route clearing overall.

2. Thanks to Johto’s leveling curves, well timed Repel uses may actually help or change some of the encounters you can get in the second half of the game. Try it in Cliff Cave off Route 47 for an increased chance at a Steelix, for example.

3. Money is a bit scarce in the Johto games, but there’s a lot of items across the region that you can sell for extra money that serve no use in a traditional Nuzlocke setting. Revives and Max Revives are the main ones, but items such as unneeded evolution stones you can’t use also sell for a decent amount. This extra money can be used to buy Poké Balls, TMs, or healing/battle items.

Best of luck, my friend. Go get ‘em :D

It’s been a couple days since I last updated this (because I haven’t been able to touch the game until now), but I got Weenie the Hoothoot (Timid), Esther the Rattata (Adamant), and Piaget the Pidgey (Bold) in the first few routes. I was hoping for a Geodude from route 46 to play around with dupes, but what can you do lol.

In the meantime,I’m going to do some light grinding before the first trainer battles prior to Violet City. Veggie is level 9, but everyone else is level 2 except for Weenie, who isn’t much better at level 3.

Just caught up with the thread and I'm excited to follow.
I just finished my first HGSS Nuzlocke and had lots of fun, I even used the Pokewalker again since I figured why not. Technically I'm not done because I want my last battle to be against Red. But I couldn't get myself up to it yet.
Wish you all luck and fun.
Btw I also went for Chikorita!

Just caught up with the thread and I'm excited to follow.
I just finished my first HGSS Nuzlocke and had lots of fun, I even used the Pokewalker again since I figured why not. Technically I'm not done because I want my last battle to be against Red. But I couldn't get myself up to it yet.
Wish you all luck and fun.
Btw I also went for Chikorita!
Thanks for the words of encouragement! Adding the Pokewalker sounds like fun. I remember really trying to grind for self-destruct munchlax when I was a kid

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)