super mario galaxy 2

so i bought this today, lets discuss it! i wasnt quite feeling it after the ridiculous opening and lack of any setup, but after playing a couple hours and realizing that none of that stuff matters at all, im actually enjoying the more streamlined level structure stuff a whole lot more. it feels like, since they arent using the same galaxy for like 5 different stars, only one or two, theres alot more ideas and less filler.

so yeah, after a couple of hours i literally dont want to do anything but play a whole load more and thats really not something ive felt about a game in a long time.

discussion go!

The best Wii Game by far. I wasn't sure if it would beat Mario Galaxy, but it so does. I actually get excited and look forward to playing it, which can't be said about many games these days. It's just so fun to play and looks so good.

i enjoyed it quite a bit myself. The music matches the levels and is nice to lisen to. After getting all 120 stars, I can say that it was really challenging. Sure some stars make you throw your Wii remote and Nunchuck out of frustration but after succeeding, you feel so accomplished. When the designers said this game was going to be more difficult than the last, they were not kidding. I'm glad that the game does not make you get the EXACT same 120 stars again.

I think it just might be the best game of this generation. Just saying, Mario galaxy was pretty perfect, and galaxy 2 is even better. Dare I say it, galaxy 2 is better than Mario 64.

so far im enjoying it more than galaxy 1 in terms of pure gameplay and ultimately thats all that matters, but i do kind of miss the whole generic nintendo epic quest storyline what with rosalina and the huge flying ship. i mean, this doesnt even have that, it literally just threw you into the exact same scenario with no explanation and then said "hey, here you go". but at the same time i kind of like that also :\

I liked SMG2 slightly less than the first one for a number of reasons (worse soundtrack, more annoying gimmick levels). Still one of the most fun games I've played in a long time and Cloud Mario was a pretty cool powerup.

It was a great game. It's no longer a matter of opinion, now it's a fact. What makes it great are the level design powerups, and the wide variety of gameplay that you get from it. A must buy for any wii owners.

Coincidentally, I just finished this game today.

I haven't heard such a catchy tune in any game (Yoshi Star Galaxy's music) since... jeez, I don't know, awhile. I can't help but hum it whenever I'm bored.

Overall I really enjoyed the game, and while there could have been a few more levels with Yoshi playable (Really, when will they bring back the SMW style of bringing Yoshi wherever you go, and merely just abandoning him when you reach an obstacle he can't cross like a pole?) not to mention given Yoshi the ability to properly swim, I loved his inclusion in the title and didn't feel that it was a tack-on addition.

What I really enjoyed was that there aren't 4-7 stars per galaxy like in SMG1, which caused each galaxy to eventually feel like a chore. However, this method of star distribution made me wish there were MORE stars for the really awesome galaxies.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I got it last Friday, a week or so after release in the UK. It's an amazing game. The level designs are so imaginative, even if some are rather small. I really like all of the power ups and some of the characters have been instant classics. The game looks beautiful, the controls are fantastic for the most part and the difficulty levels are increased from the original Galaxy game. The only thing I can fault is that a lot of the game is still relatively similar to the first game, so the impact of this one isn't as vast, but that doesn't really matter much.

I've currently collected 70 Stars and I'm up to World 5. I've avoided any spoilers so absolutely everything is a surprise and I prefer it that way. It's definitely one of the best games going at the moment, and in terms of plat-formers, this is the pinnacle of excellence and it cannot be matched.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
The whole worlds thing would have had more impact if there was some theme between the galaxies.

Anyway, it got really tiresome seeing Purple Coins everytime there was a prankster comet. Still a great game, but I don't feel it was as well rounded as the first.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The whole worlds thing would have had more impact if there was some theme between the galaxies.

Anyway, it got really tiresome seeing Purple Coins everytime there was a prankster comet. Still a great game, but I don't feel it was as well rounded as the first.
Well, I may not have completed this yet, but of the Prankster Comets I've done, only about three of them have been Purple Coin ones... In the first Galaxy, I'm pretty sure they were all Purple Coin ones ._. lol

I've liked a lot of the Prankster Comet Stars and the Hidden Stars. They're so fun and usually more difficult.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
I love the game. So far I have collected 203 stars without succumbing to the temptation of looking at strategy guides, but I think I may need to soon, because I just can't find one of them!

I'm not surprised, though, as all of the Mario 3-D platformers are awesome. They are almost as awesome as Paper Mario 1 & 2.

Haunty Halls Galaxy's music is the best gloomy Mario music I've heard in a while. The soundtrack is more well rounded than SMG1 in terms of being able to shift the mood.

Still need to play the game though. >.<

It's going to be released next week in Australia, I'm really looking forward to playing it. Hopefully firmware 4.2 won't brick my Wii...

Got it a couple days after it came out, and I must say, I LOVED it. More addicting than the 1st one simply because the galaxies were more creative, and you just wanna see what every new galaxy looks like. I don't like the HUB world or the (rather, lack of) story, but I still enjoyed it as a game more than the 1st one.

I LOVE the new music and way to fight Bowser.

Overall, I think it's a must-buy for Wii owners, and one of the best games of the year.

P.S. ily Yoshi

I just bought it yesterday. Thus far it's pretty awesome.
Being better than the original is a difficult task that I'm surprised Nintendo could pull off.

Well I got this two weeks ago, it's been awesome so far. Currently sitting at ~90 stars, just playing through galaxies and nabbing comet stars, hidden stars and other stuff I missed in order to finish the last galaxy. I'm eager to unlock the green star challenge, I like the idea of exploring galaxies more thoroughly.

I still have not gotten this game which is weird for me since i got galaxy 1 on the day it came out but i am probably going to get it soon because of all the recomendations it has gotten from gamers. I hope it is more challenging than galaxy 1 because i thought galaxy 1 was really easy throughout the game (except the luigi purple coins level of course).

I didnt play Super Mario Galaxy 1, but I want to buy Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Is it that good, that someone new to Mario gaming, would be OK at it?

NOTE: I love difficult games, and games that make you hrow your nunchuck and wiimote, and the TV :)

Not sure if it's just me, but I'm finding Super Mario Galaxy 2 a bit of a slog to play through. Most of the levels are far too linear - get from X point to Y point, as opposed to the more open ended galaxies of the original game. The music's not really up to scratch either - many of my favourite pieces are missing (Megaleg's theme from the original was awesome!). There's also a load of rehashed ideas...many of the galaxies are practically the same, but with a new name. Freezeflame = Shiverburn?

There's still a massive amount of plus points though - the new power ups are ace (Cloud Mario :pimp:), Yoshi is a fantastic addition, and some of the galaxies are mindblowingly awesome - Flip-Swap just defies epic.

Had I not played the original game, I would've enjoyed Galaxy 2 a lot more. But that doesn't stop the sequel from being a great game!

/rant

P.S. - Apologies if I'm making no sense/for the typos, it's 2:53AM here and I really should be sleeping xD

Most of the levels were actually easy. Barring the Daredevil runs, Timed runs involving clocks, the Stroll down Rolling Lane (wow, that was hard), and the Grand Master Galaxy (to this day, I have not yet finished The Perfect Run), that is.

Little tip: do not grab the flag before Yoshi's egg in the final bowser mission speed run. If you die, you pretty much can't win from there anyways.

I love all the prankster comets, the speed runs are an absolute blast, and I seem to be the only person who enjoys the purple coin ones ?_?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)