Suspect Test Process Stage Three - Version 2.0!

kidding me that you weren't expecting it? o_O before you go on about over centralization, remeber it has nothing to do with a pokemon being an uber or not if it's being used more or less, Just look at scizor in OU.

Uh, Garchomp not to be on every team.
Why wouldn't you? Garchomp's tier classification is the most controversial of any Pokemon this gen. Two of its better checks were just removed as you say. Why wouldn't people jump to (ab)use it? To people who truly believe it to be uber, this may be their last chance to use Garchomp in an OU-like environment. Neither Manaphy nor Latias have nearly the amount of fanboys and anti-fanboys. Ranting about Garchomp usage less than 24 hours after the suspect ladder has been up is a bit much imo.

That is what you should've expected on the Suspect ladder.
The sole purpose of the suspect ladder is so that the suspects, keep in mind, can be tested. Imagine the ladder without garchomp and without many players having experiences with Garchomp, it would be hard to count on their opinions and thoughts once the time comes to vote whether the pokemon is UBER or not.
The reason as to why Garchomp is more often used than the other suspects is because it is the most controversial one of all, whether it be for its popularity or effectiveness in the meta. I actually see this as a good thing as more people will be, again, experienced enough with Chomp to hopefully make the "right" decision in the end.

You guys, I stated that I expected Centralisation. I mean, the stats placed him at 60%. However near 100%? Am I not allowed to voice my opinion on the effects that Garchomp's over-useage is having on us finding out if Manaphy is broken, without having my head bitten off?

The only reason I would even consider giving Garchomp the title controversial was because it was OU in the first place, unlike every other suspect. In other words, the bulk of the community have experiance with it. In addittion, it is not banned by Nintendo in things like that Battle Tower, like most Ubers are. This again, leads to more people moaning about why Garchomp is Uber.

Just a little annoyed at how I voice my observations and opinions on the damageing effect this is having on Manaphy, making it possibly appear less broken than it is, and 4 people complain at me.

There's a reason quite a lot of people voted 'Abstain' for Manaphy in the suspect vote.

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Garchomp useage also hampers Manaphy. Sandstorm is used with Garchomp as much as possible. I understand, that this means that people are abusing Garchomp to the fullest extent, which is what we are supposed to do on the Suspect ladder. However, Sand Veil abuse hampers others from abusing what probobly made Manaphy Uber in the first place, Hydration Rest. Due to larger useage of T-Tar and Hippowdon in Suspect than OU, Manaphy is suffering more than it would in the normal OU metagame. In other words, we are not testing it at the potenual it could be at if it entered OU, simply because of Garchomp centralisation.
Okay I'm calling bs on this one. In order to use Sandstream with Garchomp, you have to use Hippowdon or Tyranitar. Not only do neither of these pokemon match up well against Manaphy, they're both actually pretty much countered by it. And this is just Manaphy—if we're talking about supporting Manaphy, we're talking about teams that likely have Kingdra, and Vaporeon, and Starmie, all of which check both Hippo and Tyra at the very least.

I'm pretty sure the fact that you're not seeing Manaphy much is the reason you haven't seen this play out. I highly doubt Manaphy itself is afraid of Garchomp—it's not a counter, but it's definitely more of a threat to Garchomp than Garchomp is to it.

Finally, most people didn't say that Hydration Rest is what made Manaphy uber. It has a lot more to do with Tail Glow and a combination of attacks that's resisted by no pokemon in OU, coming off of a naturally bulky pokemon that naturally resists the most popular priority in the game. Throw Loki's Acid Armor idea into the mix and you start to see why it was so versatile in Stage 1.

You guys, I stated that I expected Centralisation. I mean, the stats placed him at 60%. However near 100%? Am I not allowed to voice my opinion on the effects that Garchomp's over-useage is having on us finding out if Manaphy is broken, without having my head bitten off?

Of course you can voice your opinion.

The only reason I would even consider giving Garchomp the title controversial was because it was OU in the first place, unlike every other suspect. In other words, the bulk of the community have experiance with it. In addittion, it is not banned by Nintendo in things like that Battle Tower, like most Ubers are. This again, leads to more people moaning about why Garchomp is Uber.

Let's not get carried away here - the battle tower bans things like Jirachi, Celebi, and even Phione.

Just a little annoyed at how I voice my observations and opinions on the damageing effect this is having on Manaphy, making it possibly appear less broken than it is, and 4 people complain at me.

There's a reason quite a lot of people voted 'Abstain' for Manaphy in the suspect vote.
If Garchomp is indeed hampering Manaphy, then a case can be made for Manaphy in the future. Remember that the suspect ladder has only just gone up, so it could be a while before people shift toward abusing Manaphy over Garchomp (if they do). Finally, it's not like the Sandstorm use is THAT much more prevalent than in normal OU. According to the Sept. stats, Tyranitar was number 6 at 17.6%, and it's usage will surely remain steady if Latias remains OU (which is extremely likely). Manaphy will be playing in a Sand-based metagame anyways, though admittedly to a lesser extent.

I laddered for about fifteen matches today, and, I must say, Garchomp was in every single one of them. I faced a Manaphy once. Most of them we're Choiced, yet I saw a couple of SD Chomps in the mix. People are getting clever and using strategies like DD Mence + Mamoswine or DD Mence + Scarf Latias. Pretty interesting stuff. Looking forward to this!

From what I've experienced thus far, Magnezone is a must if you're running SD Garhcomp. It single-handedly counters Garchomp's biggest threats such as Bronzong, Skarmory, Scizor and Choice Scarf Jirachi.

Hey guys, I wanted to enter the suspect test but I'm pretty clueless. However, I really want to be a suspect voter.

so, I just go to the suspect ladder with the suspect on my team and play? I've tried but there're aren't a lot of people on.

Also, can someone guide me to the formula that determines the cut-off of being a suspect voter?

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
From what I've experienced thus far, Magnezone is a must if you're running SD Garhcomp. It single-handedly counters Garchomp's biggest threats such as Bronzong, Skarmory, Scizor and Choice Scarf Jirachi.
I have noticed this. SD Garchomp with Magnezone support has been devestating to face in the 3 or so battles I came across the combination, and suddenly Garchomp's biggest threats are eliminated.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
...not even gonna bother saying anything about Garchomp. Sigh. -_-

I'm pretty sure Latias is going to be voted OU by a large majority again. Maybe it's because we're already used to deal with her, but I see absolutely no possible arguments for her to be Uber.
What's the argument for Latios being uber? The 110 SpA on Latias and Salamence are so close to Uber territory that Latios' extra +20 is the breaking point, despite having no versatility in other areas like the former two? Latias has buttloads of good support options and sets up more easily, Salamence is arguably a more dangerous wallbreaker and sweeper because it's a better mixed attacker and DDer. I'm absolutely not convinced that Latios being ~12.5% stronger in the one area it actually competes in, donning Scarf/Specs and just blasting shit, makes it uber. It's not even as good as its sister overall, how is an inferior pokemon more uber than a better one?

I'm absolutely not convinced that Latios being ~12.5% stronger in the one area it actually competes in, donning Scarf/Specs and just blasting shit, makes it uber.
Apparently the rest of the community is.

I don't know what you're even saying here. Do you actually think Latias and Salamence are Uber, or are you just trying to cling the past by sparking a discussion which no longer has any relevance to the Suspect Test process or this thread? I just don't see how you're saying anything about Latias here by claiming that "it's better than an Uber Pokemon that I don't actually believe is Uber."

What's the argument for Latios being uber? The 110 SpA on Latias and Salamence are so close to Uber territory that Latios' extra +20 is the breaking point, despite having no versatility in other areas like the former two? Latias has buttloads of good support options and sets up more easily, Salamence is arguably a more dangerous wallbreaker and sweeper because it's a better mixed attacker and DDer. I'm absolutely not convinced that Latios being ~12.5% stronger in the one area it actually competes in, donning Scarf/Specs and just blasting shit, makes it uber. It's not even as good as its sister overall, how is an inferior pokemon more uber than a better one?
Base 130 offence and 100+ speed = Uber especially if you're a dragon ;)

haunter

Banned deucer.

Mr.E if you looked at my vote in the Stage 3 thread, instead of randomly quoting my post, you'd have seen that I voted Latios OU, and I did it just for the reasons you wrote above.

Base 130 offence and 100+ speed = Uber especially if you're a dragon ;)
Oversimplifying it, IMO. Because Salamence arguably has the better 130+ stat, since there isn't an end-all wall like Blissey to wall it.

In addition to the extra speed, Latios doesn't carry a stealth rock weakness, doesn't have a 4x weakness, has the means to remove its biggest threats (pursuiters are ruined by Specs Surf or Thunderbolt), and can Trick Blissey. To top it all off, it has just the right attack stat to pull off a mixed set decently, thanks to its higher speed.

Seeing garchomp on every team is a lot different than garchomp being on every team. You should know this. I've seen manaphy and garchomp centered teams. I think I have had more trouble with manaphy than garchomp, he's certainly not invincible. If he does get voted ubers I would probably pin the blame on sand veil. I need to play more though, as does everyone else at this point.

for latios I think a big concern is latias+latios teams. I can imagine those would be very difficult to beat, especially if one is carrying hp fire.

So far, I haven't found any of the suspects a problem to deal with. Latias has probably been the hardest to deal with, even though a lot of people seem to be saying Garchomp...

In the hour and a half (ish) I played, Latias was constantly causing me the most trouble. It can just come in on so much and fire off Life Orb Draco Meteors amazingly well (Tyranitar takes a ton with SR, and Scizor is often relied on to lots of other jobs). I have even resorted to changing my Heatran to Passho Berry to take a Surf and Dragon Pulse / Explode (it works, especially when it's so easy to bluff Scarf). Despite the multitude of Garchomp I have so far faced, a small amount have managed to set up a Swords Dance (Choice Scarf doesn't seem to be doing too great at the moment), and when they do I can just revenge kill it. Most people are saving them for late game after spending the game eliminating their counters...and at the point I find I can make a sacrifice to revenge kill it much easier. Manaphy has also caused little trouble...even though on paper my team looks weak to it. Defensive Manaphy aren't able to do enough detrimental damage in time, and offensive Manaphy don't have the defenses and need to catch things on the switch instead (thus often missing the KO).

I'll see how it develops because it's very early days, but so far, I don't have a huge problem with anything, although Latias is a bit of nuisance.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I quoted your post, Haunter, because you bought up Latios and Latias. Nowhere did I indict you for arguing contrary to the point I made.

"I'm absolutely not convinced that Latios being ~12.5% stronger in the one area it actually competes in, donning Scarf/Specs and just blasting shit, makes it uber."

Apparently the rest of the community is.

I don't know what you're even saying here. Do you actually think Latias and Salamence are Uber...
Apparently [most of] the rest of the community is retarded.

Quite the contrary to your question, Latios is completely non-worthy of Uber status. It's seemingly too late to make an impact on the suspect process now but that doesn't mean people can't still be further educated or the suspect process can't change again.

Oversimplifying it, IMO. Because Salamence arguably has the better 130+ stat, since there isn't an end-all wall like Blissey to wall it.
I said AND: Salamence has Base 100 speed!
As of now, what I posted is essentially a sufficient condition for a Pokemon to be Uber based on the voting trends.
(as long as the Pokemon also has a little bulk)

In addition to the extra speed, Latios doesn't carry a stealth rock weakness, doesn't have a 4x weakness, has the means to remove its biggest threats (pursuiters are ruined by Specs Surf or Thunderbolt), and can Trick Blissey. To top it all off, it has just the right attack stat to pull off a mixed set decently, thanks to its higher speed.
Ok, I should have included the no Stealth Rock weakness part too. :)
The rest mostly follows from the original quantitative Uber characteristic.
Anyway, I don't have a strong opinion on Latios and I was being a bit facetious but I'm not too far off!

It seems that many have established Salamence as the closest to Uber that OU can get.
So anything that's fearsome and can't be handled quite like Salamence gets a dirty look.
Which is why comparable offence (to Salamence), superior speed and a lack of Stealth Rock weakness have always featured so strongly in the reasons offered.

These are just my working theories:
The hyper-metagame analysis.

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I quoted your post, Haunter, because you bought up Latios and Latias. Nowhere did I indict you for arguing contrary to the point I made.

Apparently [most of] the rest of the community is retarded.

Quite the contrary to your question, Latios is completely non-worthy of Uber status. It's seemingly too late to make an impact on the suspect process now but that doesn't mean people can't still be further educated or the suspect process can't change again.
What makes you right and the majority wrong? Tiering is a subjective process.

EDIT: @Twash: Is Latias better in stage 3-2 than it was in OU in your opinion? If so, why?

I think latias is one of the best counters for special-based teams. Blissey can do it very well, but, if explosion finish her, it's GG.
Latias can't be ubber.

I have been playing around with a rain team on the ladder, and have found Tail Glow Hydrorest Manaphy to be surprisingly underwhelming. Being outrun by Garchomp hurts, and so does all of the Latias, with a surprising number having T-bolt. That and the fact that you waste almost half of your rain setting up... I see why Manaphy's use on rain teams wasn't a factor in pushing it to Uber in the first place.

I think latias is one of the best counters for special-based teams. Blissey can do it very well, but, if explosion finish her, it's GG.
Latias can't be ubber.
this is a terrible argument, kyogre would also make a good counter to specially based teams

i know, kyogre would be a good counter to specially based teams in OU, but that doesn't mean he should be OU

also does anyone know why the suspect leader board doesn't work?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)