SPOILERS! Sword and Shield in-game team discussion thread

I'm super impressed with all the Bug (fave type) and Ghost types this gen, and it's looking like my team will either be all of each or a bit of both. I'd really like to use my favourite, Tyranitar, too, since I've always wanted to use it in game but Larvitar is usually late/post game so we'll see. Might just fuck around and do mono Bug if Larvitar and Dreepy are late game. Starter is getting canned asap.

So maybe:
Orbeetle - Frosmoth - Centiskorch - Golisopod/Polteageist - Tyranitar/Shedinja - Dragapult/Cursola

OR

Orbeetle - Frosmoth - Centiskorch - Golisopod - Ninjask/Accelgor - Galvantula/Vikavolt/Durant

Speed passing with good ol' Ninjask cause most of the others run slow, but if it breaks the game maybe not lol. Maybe Escavalier somewhere (another all time favourite) but I've used it in X and Black many times.

EDIT: Forgot about young legend Durant! Always wanted to run him but he's always been locked in the post game or super duper late. If I find one early on I might ditch someone.

OR

Polteageist - Cursola - Dragapult - 3 more ghosts

Larvitar and Snom I'd really really like to use so I hope to find them early on. Otherwise I'll pick whatever of the above that's early and fill the rest out as I go! See what synergizes. My team always ends up changing due to poor synergy or I find something that clicks better.

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I'm getting Shield for easy Yung Dramps access so uh

-Rillaboom
-Obstagoon
-Barraskewda/Gyarados (if i find a magikarp i don't have to grind a ton to evolve i'll go with gyara)
-Grimmsnarl/Galarian Rapidash (whichever i find first)
-Falinks/Gallade (Falinks seems to come fairly early on but I might get Gallade instead if Ralts is also fairly early and Dawn Stone isn't too much of a bitch to obtain)
-Dracozolt/Arctozolt (was gonna pick yamper but boltund looks kinda stupid tbh)

Keep in mind last time I tried to plan out a team (SM) the final result looked nothing like my plan so don't take my word as gospel

Inteleon / Corviknight / Copperajah / Grimmsnarl / Toxricity / Frosmoth / centiskorch / Dragapult / Sirfetch'd / Darmanitan

I plan on running a ten man team due to reading some of the thoughts of those who got the game early (piracy). At least 3 people speak of having to make a conscious effort to skip a lot of content (trainer battles and wild area) to keep their mons at the levels of wild trainers. Someone was even able to reach level 30 due to the wild area before the first gym in a couple of hours.

meddle

boomer user
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

• Cinderace was dead to me once I saw its design, and then saw Centiskorch. Seeing its movepool solidified it as my top pick. It also gets Power Whip which is really nice for coverage and has synergy with Coil. Coil/Leech Life/Fire Lash/Power Whip
  • Eldegoss seemed like a fun in-game mon with Regenerator and Leech Seed, but it got cut when I saw Appletun, because the latter does similar stuff with an added dragon typing and cooler design. Appletun can also potentially hurt things, whereas Eldegoss... not really. Dragon Pulse/Apple Acid/Leech Seed/Recover
  • That left Inteleon as the only remaining starter without doubling up on types. I wasn't originally going to be a Sobble boi, and probably prefer Rillaboom overall, but maybe in another playthrough when I can breed and trade over a Grassy Surge Grookey. Was also nice to see it got Water Pulse early, good sweeping stats, and it completed a FWG core. Scald/Ice Beam/Shadow Ball?/??
  • Hatterene got a slot because Calm Mind + Draining Kiss makes it a nice "beats most stuff" sustain 'mon for in-game. Its non-HA abilities suck, but oh well. It was either this 'mon, Polteageist, or Cursola and I guess I prefer having a bulkier Fairy type. Getting a fire coverage move is really cool as well. Calm Mind/Mystical Fire/Draining Kiss/Psychic
  • Sandaconda has an awesome design, Glare is useful, and it just seems like a good all-around 'mon statwise, with no glaring (heh) weaknesses. I always like slotting a paralysis user somewhere for in-game. Glare/Earthquake/Body Press/Rock Blast or Slide
  • Corviknight provides a resistance backbone the team really needs, is available early, and gets great level-up moves. It will be on most people's teams I imagine... it's just solid. Drill Peck/Iron Head/Body Press/Light Screen?

Ideally, my team would be a sticky web team with the following members:
Flapple (Hustle) / Araquanid (Water Bubble) / Bisharp (Defiant) / Toxtricity (Punk Rock) / Sableye (Prankster) / Ditto (Impostor)
(Though this would require trading for either a Sableye or a Flapple with its hidden ability. HA Applin and Ditto can be obtained relatively early via raids.)

If this doesn't work out, my backup team is probably going to be this:
Bisharp (Defiant) / Golisopod (Emergency Exit) / Sableye (Prankster) / Appletun (Thick Fat) / Toxtricity (Punk Rock) / Rotom-W/H (Levitate)

Planning for:

Cinderace (bias for Fire starters)
Gengar (fave mon)
Dragapult (even if it's suuuper late game, I like the design and it's typing)
Corviknight (cuz Skarmory 2.0)
Grimmsnarl (have to use Fairy/Dark, and I like how weird it looks)

And wild card 6th slot for whichever Mon sticks out during the playthrough.

Rillaboom (Grookey has always been my favorite of the bunch)

Centiskorch (A fire/bug type that isn't hard to access and it's early yes please)

Corviknight (standard flying type with greats stats and typing)

Mudsdale (bulky and gets rid of electric type pokemon that can prey on Corviknight)

Falinks (deals with the dark types)

Reuniclus or Gothitelle (both are great pokemon it just depends on which one is in sword)

My plan is:
* Dubwool
* Centiskorch
* Galarian Rapidash
* Arctovish

I don't really like any of the starter designs, so I plan to pick Scorbunny and replace it with Sizzlipede as soon as I can, which is on Route 3. There is, however, a nonzero chance that I get attached to the starter anyway and just leave it on the team.
As I've done for the past few games, my intent is to leave slots open for unexpected team members, which may include Cinderace.

But man, I'm kinda setting myself up for a hard time. Dubwool has great bulk but little offensive ability. Sizzlipede has a 1% appearance rate (and no, I'm not willing to wait until Gym 3 where there are static Sizzlipede encounters). I don't know how late in the game Arctovish is obtained. This could be a pretty suboptimal team! I welcome that, since EXP-wise it looks like this game won't be very hard on its own, and I've never liked doing something artificial like rotating party members to ensure I'm not overleveled. I don't mind being overleveled in the slightest; in some sense I'm counting on it to compensate for what could end up being a very subpar team.

My plan so far
-Inteleon
-Corviknight
-Dubwool
-Grimmsnarl
-Centiskorch
-Flapple
Since I do not watch any streams to avoid story spoilers, could anyone tell me the availability of these mons? Like, in between which gyms you can catch them? Much obliged.

My plan so far
-Inteleon
-Corviknight
-Dubwool
-Grimmsnarl
-Centiskorch
-Flapple
Since I do not watch any streams to avoid story spoilers, could anyone tell me the availability of these mons? Like, in between which gyms you can catch them? Much obliged.
The Datamine thread has links for encounter tables if you wanna know where some of the mons are.

These are the 2 teams i plan to use first in both games.

Pokemon_Sword_Team.png

Mostly going on looks and what i heard. People are saying athievel is bad but i havent checked her moves yet. Hatterene i am very excited about. Life dew sounds like a great move to keep alive in doubles, frosmoth looks great, and dragapult is an amazing ghost.

I do have a question for galarian stunfisk though and havent gotten an answer. For mimicry, it say it changes type on terrain. Is it just terrain effects? Does it change both types or just 1? Does it effect other places like caves or gyms?

Pokemon_Shield_Team.png

Shell smash polteagiest i am super excited about. I love falinks design and that move that boosts all its stats but makes you unable to flee could be great. I wonder what other moves it gets.

Shame we dont have the HA for starters yet as i love Cinderaces one. Ill make her work without it.

I always liked rapidash so excited to use this one. A nice strong pjysical psychic/fairy type for a change is nice. Hopefully doesnt have normal rapidash s move pool issues anymore.

I really should look at the learn dex for these mons i want to use haha. Still i think these are nice solid teams. You guys have some move suggestions?

meddle

boomer user
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Like someone else mentioned, if you want a realistic in-game team for a casual playthrough, check the encounter tables:

Sadly, Dragapult won't really be a thing for an on-release-day playthrough (Dreepy has a 1-2% encounter rate in specific weather and lowest level is 50)

Other new Pokemon sorta in the same boat (level 40-ish lowest):
Eiscue
Mr. Mime
Duraludon
Stonjourner
Clobbopus
and Pincurchin (Route 9 earliest)

My planned team is Rillaboom, Cursola, Grapploct, Appletun/Flapple, Obstagoon, and Alcremie. With the box feature, tho, i kinda want to make a B team with Coalossal andehichever applin evo I dont main.

I'm thinking:

Rillaboom (Grass)
Barraskewda (Water)
Charizard (Fire) (also a good option for the new battle mechanics)
Sandaconda (Ground)
Galarian Rapidash (Psychic/Fairy)
Corviknight (Steel/Flying)

I feel like that gives me pretty decent coverage and uses mostly new Pokemon/mechanics. I don't think it opens me up to a ton of glaring weaknesses, either. That leaves me without STAB coverage for Normal, Flying, Psychic and Ghost though. A Dark type might be kinda nice actually. I might have to putz around and come up with something else.

Words of warning for anyone else looking to use Dragapult, it comes *incredibly* late, from what I can tell. I was considering trying to grab an egg and use Dreepy throughout the game, but it doesn't learn any moves until it evolves at Level 50, so that is not a great option either. I had to rebuild my team taking that into consideration. Much of the ice types seem to also come late, but if you like using ice types you are probably used to that. If I ever replay the games outside of these two teams I will probably be breeding a Mime Jr. for the team, he was one of the closer second choices for these teams.

Sword: Rillaboom, Orbeetle, Event Kommo-o, Perrserker, Grimmsnarl, Sandaconda

Shield: Cinderace, Event Tyranitar, Barraskewda, Cursola, Rapidash, Grapploct
I thought dragapult was able to be captured after the third gym? If what you're saying it true, that's unfortunate.

That being said my team for sword will be Dragapult,
Like someone else mentioned, if you want a realistic in-game team for a casual playthrough, check the encounter tables:

Sadly, Dragapult won't really be a thing for an on-release-day playthrough (Dreepy has a 1-2% encounter rate in specific weather and lowest level is 50)

Eiscue
Mr. Mime
Duraludon
Stonjourner
Clobbopus
Sadly, this is the case...unless you have had the game prior to the release (I do know someone who's already breeding dragapult for shiny 6ivs). I wish these new pokemons were easier to acquire.

Eiscue
Mr. Mime
Duraludon
Stonjourner
Clobbopus
If someone knows when the fossils come, judging by dex position I imagine they might also be on this list.

If someone knows when the fossils come, judging by dex position I imagine they might also be on this list.
Yeah, if anyone knows when/how the fossils are obtained, I'd love to know. It's a huge wild card right now. Dex position doesn't seem like an end-all-be-all but it's certainly an indicator.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)