ORAS OU "Sword art online" Sweeping ou /w M-Gallade (peak #84) and first RMT

Hello Smogon n_n. My name is Arthur. I recently battled a lot on Smogon with one of my new teams. In this post i'll be explaining everything about it. I hope you all enjoy the read and/or leave a rate so i can improve n_n. Alright, here is the story:

So i was on PS. Wondering what i should play, to get my ladder rating from 1300 back to 1500. I quickly decided to play a team centered around Gyarados mega. But, my ladder would not improve. I would remain at 1300. It was then, when i decided, that i would have to play some other setup-sweeper in order to fix my rating. And, not very much later that day. I had a brand new sableye-mega team bringing me up to 1400. But it was all to beautiful to be true. In about no time i had my rating back at lower than with what I had started.

Next day, a brand new day. I was fully pumped. Today i would only win in ou! But, what was that? Already in my first battle I got haxed (or so i thought). I kept losing and losing, I however, was to stubborn to admit one thing: the team sucked ass. In my final battle with it, i battled some guy with a Gallade team. I remember that he used bulk up/sub mega Gallade and Sylveon /w wish. He put up a real fight, but I got lucky. After some will-o-wisp misses I got some crits and won. After that battle I realized how bad my team was and that i needed something new. Something fresh. All though, i am not very fond of Sylveon. So I decided to build my very own Mega-Gallade team. I was going to dance again. With this:

Gallade (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Inner Focus >>> Steadfast
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off

This is what the team is all about. Setup swords dance and then heal back up with Drain Punch. I was not shure (still not lol) if this was the best spread to go with, but I just went for it. It seemed to work quite well. With the base bulk Gallade has i was often able to take on or two hits and then strike. I went with Zen Headbutt over Psycho Cut just because it does more damage to those pesky Rotoms who ant to burn you. Oh and Ice Punch is very good if you want to take out, well, actually any Dragon. I even took down a musticale Dragonite once (not shure if it was hp invested lol). The only thing i could not beat with Gallade where those annoying fast flying types like Talonflame. That is why my next pokemon is:

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

My own pesky Rotom who wants to burn opposing physical threads. I took the spread directly from Smogon since i could not be bothered to create my own all-powerful Rotom Spread. But it seemed to work out quite well. Also, my opponents seemed to run some more bulkier Rotoms which i could outspeed. There is not much else to say here. Just a Talon-killer that could heal back up with pain split.

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast

As soon as i noticed that Rotom was not enough to ko flying pokemon since it could easily be killed after some skilled play from opponents, that would always switch into something it did not do well against. Also, Rotom was mostly the pokemon that took the burn since it is, well, the only special attacker in my team. This lead to very quick deads. So all i did was just swap my Mandibuzz for Ttar and my Bisharp for a Excadrill. Tyranitar was not only a good poke to take on flying pokemon, it could also pursuit some psychic and ghost type pokemon. I first had Ice Beam and Dark Pulse on this thing, but i wanted pursuit to do more damage so i swapped them for their physical sisters. The reason why i have those attacks in the first place was because i just wanted to put some more damage in play. Not that it really did anything, but i had to do something with it, right? I chose crunch over a fire move because i did not want stone edge to be my only move against Heatran. I never really used stone Edge that much because i mostly predicted a switch from my opponent. No reason to run stealth rocks on this thing either since:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

This poke was just sooo good. Thunder Wave fast threads, put Stealth Rocks in play, heal up with Leech Seed, and take out mega Gyarados with Power Whip. Ferrothorn's only real weaknesses where fire and fighting, but those pokemon i would not give a chance, since i run many ways to defeat both. Also, Ferro often kept himself alive because opponents who put, say, Heatran in play often predicted a switch and went for Stealth Rocks. That was the time to heal up with leech seed, before switching out into my Rotom. All tho, this move did not always pay off.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Excadrill basically became a must in this team the moment i put Tyranitar in. Air balloon gave me enough time to rapid spin and put some damage in play. In sand this thing becomes a real monster. Also, remember that i can active sand more than just once and that I have enough time to switch back and forth with Excadrill since sand lasts 8 turns. I ran rapid spin because it was the only way to get rid of rocks. I would have liked something like Swords dance, but i wanted to give my next poke, Talonflame, enough space to do decent damage. Iron Head and Earthquake where simply the best Stab moves for Excadrill. Rock Slide was there to, well, take more flying pokemon out who could maybe in a later time, stop my Gallade from sweeping the opposing team.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Bulk Up

The finisher. Hp invested Talonflame. It works really. You do not outspeed other talonflames but at least u Survive Knock Off from Bisharp more often. This may not seem like a great deal at all, but (at least to me) it mattered. Now, think of a situation where you have your Talonflame at +2 from swords dance and you knock out one of you opponents pokemon. your talonflame is now at low health and, in order to sweep your opponents entire team, you need to roost before you attack again, otherwise you'll get knocked out from the recoil. And now, your opponents next pokemon is Bisharp. You go for roost and, your clever opponent goes for Knock Off. But ,ha, you are not even knocked out! And now it is time to roost again and sweep the team. By now you should also know what the moves are for. Brave Bird and Flare Blitz for damage, Roost for the heal trick after you got recoil damage. And Swords Dance is there, so i have the option to sweep.

Threads to the Team:

Rotom-W: Annoying Little guy that keeps my pokemon from doing a lot of damage since they get Will-o-wisped all the time. Sometimes I was able to kill it with Power Whip from Ferrothorn, but that would leave me oftentimes with a burn (very annoying).

Sableye(-Mega): Both are on the Threadlist because they pretty much do the same thing: burn my entire team. Seeing this thing usually meant defeat especially when paired with Rotom since i had no way to take it down other than going for Talonflame and use swords dance.

Thanks for reading and pls leave a rate. This was my first RMT with probably a lot of bad grammar and errors in it, anyway, thanks for reading and pls leave a rate.
Mr Snorlax

Sprite (gifs) credits: http://www.pkparaiso.com/
For Stealing: (how do i make importable lol)

Edit: changes are in bold

Gallade (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Steadfast
Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Atk / 36 Def / 100 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 8 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Last edited:
Like the team idea in general but there are some changes I'd recommend, first off scrap your T-T completely and replace it with this set, much more reliable and effective.
Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
With changes to T-Tar also come changes to Excadrill, replace Sand Rush with Mold Breaker as it helps check things like Rotom-W which you listed as a threat. You could a try a choice band or a life orb in place of Air Balloon if you really want to do damage to Rotom-W.

Gallade (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Inner Focus >>> Steadfast
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off

I would invest the extra 4 EVs in Defense or Special Defense instead of HP. This allows you to come in on Stealth Rocks an additional time with 1 HP left in need be. I would run Knock Off over Ice Punch, or run Knock Off over Zen Headbutt. The reasoning is that Gallade's most common switch-ins the Close Combat, and Knock Off nails them hard. It also provides great utility to the team in general. Ice Punch really only hits a select few targets hard, and most of them (namely Lando-T) are crippled by Knock Off.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Sassy
Nature
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

The above EV spread takes advantage of Ferro's mixed bulk. It allows you to live a Hyper Voice followed up by a Focus Blast most of the time, while shoveling the leftovers EVs into Defense for mixed bulk. Gyro Ball is useful if you are already running 0 IVs in speed, as it's a strong option to beat Gardevoir.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Will-o-Wisp

I would try out this Talonflame. It checks Fighting type better in general, while still maintaining some of the general sweeping capabilities that SD Talon does. Your team has 3 Pokemon weak to Fighting and only two resists, one of which shouldn't be switching into many attacks at all (Gallade). Bulk Up Talon gives you a much better chance at handling those Fighting types, permitted you keep hazards off the field.

That's all I have for now, good luck laddering!

Pent

dumb broad
I would recommend a lead ttar, and a scarfed Excadrill, if you truly want to be faster than everything. If you still want the concept of a somewhat of a sand team, try these.

Tyranitar @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Atk / 44 Sp Atk
Rash Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave/Pursuit
- Stone Edge/Rock Slide
- Ice Beam

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Force/Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin/Poison Jab
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head

I feel these would help your team a lot.

Hope it helps

Hey, MrSnorlax :]

You have a good team, imo, and I will suggest some things that could make your team better:

-Because your team looks a tad weak to Greninja, I suggest you run the following spread on Rotom-W, (credit to alexwolf for the spread):

248 HP / 88 Def / 124 SpD / 48 Spd - Bold Nature
This spread gives Rotom-w decent mixed bulk and allows it to tank 2 Greninja Dark Pulses after rocks.

-Change Talonflame's EVs to --> 252 Atk / 168 Spd / 88 HP
This gives Tflame enough speed to outspeed max speed Raikou, Scarf Magnezone and Thundurus. That way, it can just use Flare Blitz on them and not have to switch out or use a resisted Brave Bird and die.

-I would replace Ferrothorn with a fairy type such as Clefable, as that mitigates the apparent fighting weakness your team has. In the case of Ferro going, Clefable or Tyranitar can be the sr setter. Clefable also deals with the Sableye and Rotom-W issue. If you want, you can use this Clefable set:

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
-Stealth Rock / Calm Mind
-Moonblast
-Softboiled
-Thunder Wave / Flamethrower (if using Calm Mind)

-I'd change Tyranitar's set to something like this: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD - Relaxed Nature with the following moves: Stealth Rock / Crunch - Ice Beam - Stone Edge - Fire Blast. With this set, sand checks such as Lando-T, Skarmory, Chesnaught and Ferrothorn do not switch in for free.

Oh and to answer your question on how to make importables, you basically type whatever you want to hide in between hide tags like these:[ hide ]What you want hidden[ /hide ] and to name the tag, you'd type this:

[ hide=Title here ] Insert whatever you want hidden here [ /hide ]

Just make sure there aren't any spaces inside the [ ] brackets; I just put it like that with spaces to show you how it's done.

Anyways, I've rambled enough.

Hope this helped!

Last edited:

Pent

dumb broad
Hey, MrSnorlax :]

You have a good team, imo, and I will suggest some things that could make your team better:

-Because your team looks a tad weak to Greninja, I suggest you run the following spread on Rotom-W, (credit to alexwolf for the spread):

248 HP / 88 Def / 124 SpD / 48 Spd - Bold Nature
This spread gives Rotom-w decent mixed bulk and allows it to tank 2 Greninja Dark Pulses after rocks.

-Change Talonflame's EVs to --> 252 Atk / 168 Spd / 88 HP
This gives Tflame enough speed to outspeed max speed Raikou, Scarf Magnezone and Thundurus. That way, it can just use Flare Blitz on them and not have to switch out or use a resisted Brave Bird and die.

-I would replace Ferrothorn with a fairy type such as Clefable, as that mitigates the apparent fighting weakness your team has. In the case of Ferro going, Clefable or Tyranitar can be the sr setter. Clefable also deals with the Sableye and Rotom-W issue. If you want, you can use this Clefable set:

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
-Stealth Rock / Calm Mind
-Moonblast
-Softboiled
-Thunder Wave / Flamethrower (if using Calm Mind)

-I'd change Tyranitar's set to something like this: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD - Relaxed Nature with the following moves: Stealth Rock / Crunch - Ice Beam - Stone Edge - Fire Blast. With this set, sand checks such as Lando-T, Skarmory, Chesnaught and Ferrothorn do not switch in for free.

Oh and to answer your question on how to make importables, you basically type whatever you want to hide in between hide tags like these:[ hide ] Paste the team here[ /hide ] and to name the tag, you'd do this:

[ hide= Name here ] Insert whatever you want hidden here [ /hide ]

Just make sure there aren't any spaces inside the [ ] brackets; I just put it like that with spaces to show you how it's done.

Anyways, I've rambled enough.

Hope this helped!
[HIDE="Title" ] Don't add le space after the " though, okay?

Thank you guys so much :). I already tried all of your ideas (except for the fairy poke) and some of them really paid off n_n (I really enjoy killing Slowbros with knock off :P) I put the changes in bold, i will probably change the explanation for each poke too. Not sure about the fairy all tho it sounds like a pretty good deal. Oh and i will totally find a Mega Doppelganger^^.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)