The 1v1 Metagame

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
That thing is really impressive - you only really lose to physical sleepers and physical stuff that OHKOs.

Working on some cool new sets/spreads. Looks like PO has mail implemented now.

Wild Eep

pet pet pet
is a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
So after the late start (sorry guys, won't happen again), the second tournament has come to a close!

1. Wild Eep (3-1)
2. drcossack (2-2)
3. Tyler422 (1-2)
4. LinIsKorean (1-2)

drcossack and I were tied at 2-1, so we rematched for the crown, and I got my revenge! :P

See you all next week!

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
So what did everyone use?

The set I would have gone with had I been able to participate would have been this.
Garchomp @ Haban Berry
Sand Veil
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
Outrage
Earthquake
Fire Fang / Fire Blast
Swords Dance

Essentially, survive Chomp/Mence and KO them, SD on Counter Blissey and KO it, Swords Danced Fire Fang cripples Levitating Steels.

EDIT: A similar tourney is starting on PO and it looks as if it's going to be quite popular. This one's going to be best of 3 though.

Wild Eep

pet pet pet
is a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
We switched up to best of 3 on PO for this week (with Chomp and Mence still allowed).

1. ice-eyes (3-1) [7-3 in games]
2. timetwister (2-2) [5-6 in games]
3. Wild Eep (1-2) [4-5 in games]
4. Ferrouswheel (1-2) [3-5 in games]

timetwister and ice-eyes played a tiebreaker match, and ice-eyes won! Congratulations ice-eyes!

See you next week!

EDIT: ice-eyes that was a typo

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
3-2, Eep? I was 2-1 (and only because you haxed me, but I guess Night Slash does have a high crit rate so w/e).

What does everyone think of Chomp?

Garchomp sounds powerful, with its STABs, power, and speed. I've never tried 1 vs 1 yet but it sounds cool. Heracross sounds very powerful thanks to his resistance to fighting and dark, and mighty power + coverage.

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Adamant
Evs: 4 HP/ 252 ATK/ 252 SPE
Guts
~Megahorn
~Close Combat
~Stone Edge
~Sleep Talk/Night Slash

Yeah, this is totally just the scarf set. But it can kill with it's amazing power. Sleep Talk is preferred due to all the sleepers, but Night Slash kills ghosts easier. Not much to say. It resists dark and fighting which is great because they hit everything for atleast nuetral other than hera. For example, if there's Spiritomb, chances are that it's two attacks will be dark and fighting.

@Ice-eyes: Perhaps we can hash something out this time to do next time.

Well, as the close combat tournament just ended, I am going to disclose the pokemon that I used in the tournament, and ended up winning it for me.

Blissey - Heart Mail (Earlier in the tournament was a chople berry)
Bold - Natural Cure - 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Toxic
Counter
Rest (Earlier in tournament was Softboiled)
Protect (Earlier in tournament was Seismic Toss)

This was an anti-typical strategies Blissey, with Mail to stop people from Tricking, Rest to stop toxic stall, Protect to scout, Counter for physical pokemon, and Toxic for special pokemon. After careful examination I decided that Mail, Rest, and Protect were more important then their replacements, as Chople just beats Infernape, a pokemon that I didn't expect to see much of with focus sash banned. Although I was a little worried about losing the instant recovery of softboiled, not losing to toxic ended up out weighing it's use in my opinion. And after a scare about mispredicting a mixed pokemon, I decided to use Protect instead of seismic toss, as I didn't expect to see many special steels or poison pokes in the tournament.
Agh thats the moveset that stopped my Slaking from pwing the whole tournament, Itsuki was using a Dragonite, and everyone else was using something Slaking can OHKO/2HKO with Giga Impact
But lol, thats my fault for using a pokemon whos only counter is Protect :)

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
This was a fun tournament, I ended up loosing to Itsuki's Dragonite in the 3rd place play-off, it was interesting as I never expected a Dragonite out of all of the pokémon and it took my by surprise how simple it was, yet at the same time really complex.

Question at Ditto: Do you think we should take this metagame forward with using it not only on wifi but also on PO and Shoddy?
PO can work well but with Shoddy we can have your lead being your pokémon and the rest being bulbasaur's with 1 move

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Heracross is unfortunately weak to Flying and neutral to Steel - it does badly against Flinch. Other than that, it looks pretty good.

What was that Dragonite set?

I think the PO people are planning on implementing a 1v1 tier on the beta server.

What about just the 2vs2, Double Battle
Could open interesting combinations, and it relies less on your matchup
You could ban Explosion, or just allow it, and make everyone hold Protect

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
Heracross is unfortunately weak to Flying and neutral to Steel - it does badly against Flinch. Other than that, it looks pretty good.

What was that Dragonite set?

I think the PO people are planning on implementing a 1v1 tier on the beta server.
Posting for Itsuki:

Dragonite @ Yache Berry
Quiet - Inner Focus
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Superpower
- ExtremeSpeed

I wanted something with Inner Focus to stop flinches. Dragonite was susceptible to Ice-type attacks so I used Yache Berry, ExtremeSpeed + attack picked off anything weak, and a mix set would prove hard to deal with against Counter/Mirror Coat strategies (which I had to deal with in my battle with badalcristiano and Ferrouswheel, I totally forgot about Counter and just went for it lol). Anyways it has proved me well. =]

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Dragonite set looks really nice.

Anti-lead Machamp tends to not work that well for a couple of reasons. Lum Berry is absolutely everywhere, making DynamicPunch less effective. The metagame is also shaped by Serene Grace - if Machamp is not getting taken down by a Jirachi or Togekiss, it's losing to one of the incredibly hard hitters that is the best way to get past the Flinch users.

It's still OK, but it doesn't beat everything like it does in the OU lead metagame.

Just a thought... should Salamence perhaps be added to the Uber clause, considering its recent tier shift? It is a very, very good sweeper, especially for the 1v1 environment. Choice Specs Draco Meteor will KO quite a bit.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Salamence isn't actually that good. It loses to Jirachi most of the time, it loses to Togekiss, it loses to Blissey...

It probably hasn't been edited into the Uber Clause section because Ditto hasn't got around to it yet.

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
In my opinion, Mence is just too frail.
We could try adding Sleep Clause? Making it less stall like... This could be an interesting twist

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Sleep Clause? As in, banning Sleep? It's a viable strategy, but I don't think it's broken - making metagame changes to give an 'interesting twist' is kind of pointless. All the Sleepers lose to Jirachi as well.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So this is an idea I had, I haven't tested it yet, but the design seems good.

Breloom @ custap berry
Jolly 252 attack 252 speed
Spore
Endure
Focus punch
Stone edge

If your opponent thinks they can OHKO Breloom, this throws them a curveball. Endure Spore can take out almost anything. Pokes with lum cause problems and pokes with access to a move that OHKOs and a priority (Dragonite with fire blast and espeed comes to mind). Otherwise you can sleep and destroy them. Any input/suggestions?

So this is an idea I had, I haven't tested it yet, but the design seems good.

Breloom @ custap berry
Jolly 252 attack 252 speed
Spore
Endure
Focus punch
Stone edge

If your opponent thinks they can OHKO Breloom, this throws them a curveball. Endure Spore can take out almost anything. Pokes with lum cause problems and pokes with access to a move that OHKOs and a priority (Dragonite with fire blast and espeed comes to mind). Otherwise you can sleep and destroy them. Any input/suggestions?
I've been testing it in Pokemon Online (they got 1v1 tier now!) and what beats this is things that are meant to be sleeping (like something with Chesto or just something bulky enough that uses rest), things with Insomnia (Honchkrow), Abomasnow if it's faster (can't Endure because of Hail; Tyranitar and Hippowdon are both slower so it's not that much of a problem), things with priority, Alakazam (encore variation) and lucky 1-turn-sleeps.

In case no one's realized yet, this tier has a huuge following on Pokemon Online's beta server, and the stats are here, updated daily. http://steve.dynalias.net/po/pokestats/1v1/index.html. Click on a Pokemon to see movesets and stuff in terms of percentages.

Also, I broke the metagame, I'm at #3 on the leaderboard and I've only lost once with this. I'm sure as soon as today's stats get posted, everyone and their mother will have a counter, but until then, this wins every time.
@

Swampert @ Rindo Berry
EVs: 252 HP|160 Defense|96 Special Defense
Nature: Careful|Ability:Torrent
|Yawn
|Protect
|Waterfall
|Earthquake

So yeah, it should be pretty obvious.
: Protect 1st turn to see if they Hyper Beam or Trick. If they Hyper Beam, I Yawn next turn, surviving the hit, and Protect the next. Waterfall/Earthquake 2HKOs. If they Trick, I skip the Yawn and go straight to EQing.
: Same deal. Protect t1, Yawn t2, Protect t3, and start Earthquaking.
:lol protect lol
: Same deal as the others. Protect, Yawn (surviving the Grass Knot or the Close Combat), Protect, EQ
: Protect, Yawn, Protect, EQ OHKOs.
: A little risky. Protect, Yawn, and hope I don't get confusion hax'd.
: Um, Protect, Yawn, Protect, Waterfall. Being in Torrent range if they get a crit is a plus.
: Natural Cure won't help you know, bitch! Protect, Yawn, Protect, Earthquake 2-3HKOS.
: Heatproof is for whatever reason more common, so Protect+Yawn+Protect+Earthquaking a couple times works. If they get off multiple Iron Defenses I have to stall until I get a crit.
: This got a lot more common today, but none of them carry recovery, so Protect+Yawn+Protect, followed by repeated Waterfalls gets the KO eventually.

Everyone expects the Protect+Mirror Coat+Counter Swampert, which this conveniently also beats ^_^ The only thing that beats me is a crit Hyper Beam from a Porygon-Z, which is quite frankly uncommon.

How do you handle:

Breloom @ Toxic Orb Lv. 100 -- Poison Heal
Nature: Jolly - EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd (52.5 %)
Focus Punch
Seed Bomb
Spore
Substitute

Toxic Orb prevents yawn from working, and Seed Bomb kills.

How do you handle:

Breloom @ Toxic Orb Lv. 100 -- Poison Heal
Nature: Jolly - EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd (52.5 %)
Focus Punch
Seed Bomb
Spore
Substitute

Toxic Orb prevents yawn from working, and Seed Bomb kills.
Very easily, Lum berry and a nice powerful flying type attack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)