The 5th Gen is out there

Introduction

I've started getting involved with Gen V pretty late (or at least, later than most) and while I had quite a bit of issues at first, I finally managed to build together a decent team. This team is loosely themed around an old TV show that aired in the 90's that is dear to me ; The X-Files. I say loosely as each member is named after an episode of the show, one that fits it's physical appearance but also it's role, ability or status.

I have tested this team quite a bit, netting wins most of the time on the Smogon server (when the other guy doesn't ragequit) and while I am satisfied with it for the most part, I am always seeking for ways to improve my teams and my game.

I won't make one of those Team building progress section as it literally took forever to build this one. Also, I'm not a native english speaker and it might show in a few places D:

Project Purity Control

Closure (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 200 HP / 56 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Magic Coat
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt / Iron Head

(SCULLY pays the bill then joins MULDER outside the restaurant where he is looking up at the stars.)

MULDER: You know, I never stop to think... that the light is billions of years old by the time we see it. From the beginning of time right past us into the future. Nothing is ancient in the universe. (glances at her) But, maybe they are souls, Scully. Traveling through time as starlight, looking for homes.

-Case File 7X11 - Closure

Description : The team's main lead. This cute little bastard reflects back Taunts, status and hazards right back in the face of Mischevous Heart users with Magic Coat, often stopping them cold in their tracks. This guy usually U-Turns and comes back later on to lay down some rocks of his own. The last slot is taken by a flinch move, dealing surprisingly good damage against most targets and flinching them to death. Jirachi synergizes well with the rest of the team with it's excellent typing and utility moves.

Possible changes - I ran into some issues when it comes to picking between Zen Headbutt and Iron Head. I usually go for the steel move but it's coverage isn't too great on most opponents. I also used to run Azelf with a similar set but came to choose Jirachi for it's better typing and bulk.

Anasazi (Garchomp) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 200 HP / 72 Def / 72 SDef / 164 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Substitute
- Protect

ALBERT: There was a tribe of indians who lived here more than 600 years ago. Their name was Anasazi, it means ancient aliens. No evidence of their fate exists. Historians say they disappeared without a trace. They say that because they will not sacrifice themselves to the truth.
MULDER: And what is the truth.?
ALBERT: Nothing disappears without a trace.

-Case File 2X25 Anasazi

Description : Garchomp is the bulky, strong scout and damage shuffler of the team and one that I came to rely on. It can easily scout ice attacks aimed at him with Protect, put a substitute up whenever it has a chance to and starts shuffling the other team around. When used to it's fullest, this set is extremely aggravating to deal with. The EV spread ensures that he will come back later on for more scouting and phazing while still being able to outspeed a decent amount of threats (especially with support from his fellow team mates) and dent them. Garchomp and most of the team also benefit from Sandstorm even though I do not carry a weather starter myself.

Possible changes - I wonder if a standard offensive set would add more to the team than the current defensive one. It gets the job done but is sometimes walled completely. Defensive Salamence doesn't cut it most of the time and most dragons do not share Garchomp's bulk.

Herrenvolk (Gyarados) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 96 HP / 160 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Taunt

MULDER: Kill me, let them go.
ALIEN BOUNTY HUNTER: You'd trade your life for his?
MULDER: For my mother's.
ALIEN BOUNTY HUNTER: Everything dies.

-Case File 4X01 Herrenvolk

Description : Gyarados hasn't changed much from Gen 4 and it doesn't have to. This set utilizes elements from both the offensive dancer set and the bulky one. Taunt is amazingly useful to stop anything that threatens Gyarados with status or hazards and I have come to rely on it constantly. Water+Flying offers good coverage and Bounce offers some paralysis support from time to time while allowing Gyarados to recover some HP on the way up. It's EV spread combined with Intimidate allows for some bulk while still being able to go on the offensive. This guy always nets a few kills per game.

Possible changes - I picked this guy over SD LO Encourage Feraligatr for it's better resists and Intimidate and while I miss Aqua Jet and a more offensive oriented set, I wonder if there would be a better bulky sweeper that'd fit the team.

Deep Throat (Genosekuto) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SpDef)
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower

MULDER: They're here, aren't they?
(Deep Throat stops and turns to face Mulder)
DEEP THROAT: Mr. Mulder, they've been here for a long long time.
(Deep Throat continues to walk away, leaving Mulder standing by himself)

-Case File 1X01 Deep Throat

Description : Like it's namesake, he shows up out of nowhere, does his thing and vanishes without a trace. Probably the MVP of the team, I know I am in deep trouble if this guy goes out early/midgame. He acts as a revenge killer, scout and overall sweeper with it's excellent coverage and speed, and it's U-Turn can be surprisingly powerful against most enemies. I used to run Explosion but after testing it extensively, the ability to hit more stuff is much more important in most cases. Synergizes well with the rest of the team with it's plethora of resists.

Possible changes - Like I said, before, Explosion could be used as a last resort but I never seem to get good results out of it. Bug Buzz would also add to this set but would hurt the coverage. I might be stubborn but there is really nothing else like this guy out there and I couldn't choose anything else for the team.

all things (Slowbro) (F) @ Rugged Helmet
Trait: Regeneration
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Flamethrower
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

SCULLY: (voiceover) Time passes in moments ... moments which, rushing past define the path of a life just as surely as they lead towards its end. How rarely do we stop to examine that path, to see the reasons why all things happen, to consider whether the path we take in life is our own making or simply one into which we drift with eyes closed. But what if we could stop, pause to take stock of each precious moment before it passes? Might we then see the endless forks in the road that have shaped a life? And, seeing those choices, choose another path?

-Case File 7x17 all things

Description : Slowbro takes care of anything physically oriented with it's excellent bulk, typing and recovery. Since he'll often sponge up physical attacks, Rugged Helmet compliments his almost infinite lifespan wonderfully well. The lack of a water move might look like a weird choice, but Psychic is needed to counter the powerful Fighting types he'll be pitted against while Flamethrower deals with pesky Nattorei's and other steel types who think they can switch in on you and do their thing. Thunderwave rounds up the set nicely, offering much appreciated support for the rest of the team.

Possible changes - LO Rankurusu makes for a similar defensive bulk while being more offensive though I prefer the pink guy over the green one. Surf is not missed at all and I found Thunderwave to be more useful than Yawn in most cases.

Field Trip (Breloom) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Technician
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Spore
- Substitute

SCULLY: Something that we found in that field, Mulder, because that's where it began. (realizing) Wild mushroom. Wild mushrooms, Mulder. They were growing there. I stepped on one, and it gave off spores. Several varieties of … of mushrooms are known for their hallucinogenic properties. If … if we inhaled it...

-Case File 6X21 Field Trip

Description : This guy is a monster. Most of the time, simply getting behind a substitute is enough to make people ragequit. I don't really have to explain how this guy works. Spore or Sub on the switch, and wreck stuff up with the upgrade Bullet Seed or Mach Punch. While this guy isn't as threatening as the Swords Dance variant, he gets more attacks in and that alone is often enough to secure a win. Leftovers was picked over Life Orb for durability as the opponent can sometimes wear you down with careful switches.

Possible changes - Swords Dance lacks durability and is easier to counter and Stone Edge I found to be unecessary in most cases.

PS- Threat list to come after I get some sleep D:

CONCLUSION

Overall, I really have fun using this team against a brand new gen and I'm looking forward to further improve it. Thank you for the future input.

Solid team, but still, has a few glaring issues in my opinion
Im not sure your Jirachi should be running U Turn. I dont think it does enough damage to go over a coverage move. If you got rid of it you have more options to run and that helps to make your team more offensive.
While that Garchomp set is pretty unique and effective at phazing, I dont really see the point. You only have SR and even then those could be spun away easy since you dont have a Ghost type. I think ScarfChomp is more effective, and could easily achieve sweeps. However there are other effective offensive sets as you probably know, but my personal opinion is ScarfChomp as the best set possible.
Also as a final note, I find this EV spread of Gyrados to be quite damaging:
252 Attack 116 Speed and then place the rest in HP(sorry that I cant give you a number, cant think). Make the nature Jolly. After one DD boost, if im not mistaken, you out run all 120 positive nature so I think its better.
Good luck

lol, you have your Gyarados and Garchomp's roles reversed for what you're asking. Because Gyarados can Restalk it is a much better user of Dragon Tail, even without the STAB. Intimidate also helps it immensely in the beginning and then of course there is the great water/dragon coverage. As a result, you can make Garchomp a much better offensive threat by either using Sword Dance or scarf. I recommend Sword Dance with Genosect. Course, you can make Garchomp the scarf user and give Genosect Rock Polish.

Your team is cool, but i have to agree with the people above me. Garchomp should always be offensive. It is nice to scout for ice beams, but you can make him offensive and still do the same thing with proper prediction. SD haban since you are scouting ice beams, so that way he can provide a proper sweep. The gyarados layout that someone said is a very dangerous set and i would suggest strongly in using it. I am certain it has swept me several times, and if your opponent doesn't have a check for it, it sweeps on its own. Also, gyarados and garchomp make a good combo, if anyone throws an electric attack garchomp can just soak it and counter back with either the SD set or Scarf set, both are good. Everything else on your team i like, i like the originalness of the people and on paper they look fine, and from how you talk about it they perform right.

Im not sure your Jirachi should be running U Turn. I dont think it does enough damage to go over a coverage move. If you got rid of it you have more options to run and that helps to make your team more offensive.
I don't use U-Turn for the damage potential, it's purely for scouting. Jirachi functions well as a lead and later on can still annoy pokes. I don't expect to sweep with it anytime soon.

Also as a final note, I find this EV spread of Gyrados to be quite damaging:
252 Attack 116 Speed and then place the rest in HP(sorry that I cant give you a number, cant think). Make the nature Jolly. After one DD boost, if im not mistaken, you out run all 120 positive nature so I think its better.
Not sure where you're going with this ; my set has more speed for a bit less HP and attack in return.

Because Gyarados can Restalk it is a much better user of Dragon Tail, even without the STAB
I dunno, Sleep Talk has always been so unreliable for me, always picking Rest when I needed to attack something. I really can't stand it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)