ORAS OU The best offense is a great defense

This is my second RMT and I've been having some pretty decent success with this team and I wanted to see what you all though about the team and am always open to constructive criticism, ideas, thoughts, what you like about it etc. So without further ado.

upload_2016-5-18_14-59-9.png

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 SpD
Impish Nature
-Dragon Tail
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast
-Stealth Rock

Your standard Garchomp lead. Usually always is able to get out a Stealth Rock and EVs and Nature allow him to be somewhat of a pseudo-tank, being able to take hits, deal them out moderately well. His ability and item allow him to be a great counter to physical attackers low on health, usually killing them on passive damage alone, especially on a switch in when they're not expecting it.

upload_2016-5-18_15-3-28.png

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
-Iron Head
-Whirlwind
-Spikes
-Roost

I chose to go with a specially defensive Skarmory, taking advantage of his already sky high defense, because it allows him to tank more hits. He is somewhat of a teammate of Garchomp, acting as a second phazer and a set up for more entry hazards. Roost and Whirlwind allow him to keep the pressure on, and is a great counter to fairies that would normally harass the hell out of Garchomp.

upload_2016-5-18_15-7-44.png

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 20 SpA / 88 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb
-Hidden Power [Fire]
-Synthesis

I love this thing. His amazing bulk and ability make him a great physical and special wall. I've seen him take down Talonflame, Tornadus, Weavile etc. just to name a few. Giga Drain and Synthesis allow for reliable recovery while Sludge Bomb is a great STAB and Hidden Power [Fire] to take care of the Steel types that think it can phase him.

upload_2016-5-18_15-15-18.png

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
-Magma Storm
-Earth Power
-Toxic
-Taunt

The combination of Heatran and Venusaur is the perfect example of type synergy allowing them to almost flawlessly cover each other's weaknesses. Heatran is also another great lead, allowing him to get a Taunt on most leads or sweepers stopping them at their set-up. After a Taunt he can always get a Toxic if the Poke decides to stay in or switch and with the combination of Magma Storm, gives great passive damage and a timer on most pokes keeping the pressure on. His EV spread allows him to take hits easily.

upload_2016-5-18_15-20-45.png

Azumarill @ Watmel Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
-Natural Gift
-Aqua Jet
-Waterfall
-Play Rough

You might be questioning my intelligence putting an Azumarill on my team without Belly Drum, a sitrus Berry or Leftovers and allowing him to have one of the most underrated moves in the meta: Natural Gift. Why? Because it's one HELLUVA surprise to ANY common Steel type (Scizor, Ferrothorn, Bisharp etc.) Thinking they're gonna force a switch on him and BAM they're KO'ed in one hit. For those of you who don't know, a Watmel Berry gives Natural Gift a base 100 power Fire type attack. Combine this with its stellar attack stat, he very seldom takes out less than two Pokémon a battle. I figured I'd try it out since Azumarill always has kind of a free move slot to play with anyway and it has worked excellently.

upload_2016-5-18_15-26-14.png

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Dazzling Gleam
-Sludge Wave

Last but not least, my late-game clean-up/spin blocker/defog killer. I originally had Alakazam in his place but I noticed I was being taken advantage of by Rapid Spin and Defog getting rid of my entry hazards so I opted for Gengar to stop any rapid spinning from happening, and even if say Latios or Latias wanted to Defog, they did so sacrificing them my Gengar's Shadow Ball. He's so fast and hits so hard, he's my main dragon tamer/fairy destroyer. He's usually used better late when all of the faster threats are gone and he can wipe out the rest with hazard support.

Weeeeeeelp. There you have it. My OU team. So far I'm peaking in the 1400s and plan on keep moving up. Again open to suggestions and discussions!

I really like that innovative azu set. Do you have any replays of you using it? I would love to see it in action.

Hey Alkasesler, Spikes Balance is definitely a solid and generally consistent playstyle, but your team struggles quite a bit with common balance breakers like Volcanion, M-Medicham, and Kyurem-Black. Your team also doesn't have a win condition, and relies solely on hazard stack and sort of outlasting your opponent, though 2 of the 4 members of your defensive core don't have a recovery move, plus you have no hazard removal to help with their longevity. My rate will focus on patching up these issues for you while providing your team with a bit more direction.

First, I want to comment on your Azumarill set. It's definitely an underrated gem that is very useful on certain builds, but I don't think it holds much utility on your team at all. Between having Skarmory, Fire Blast Garchomp, Hidden Power Fire M-Venusaur, and Heatran on your team, stuff that Watmel Berry Azumarill tries to lure in like M-Scizor, Skarmory, and Ferrothorn are well covered as it is. Plus if you're going to be running that set, you shouldn't be running literally no speed investment. In general, only Assault Vest Azumarill shouldn't be running speed investment, otherwise you should be running at least 84 Speed EVs to outspeed uninvested Base 60s such as Clefable and Sylveon. For that set I'd actually say to run 208 Speed EVs to outspeed M-Scizor (and Klefki). However, since your team is weak to Volcanion like I said before, as M-Medicham and Calm Mind Suicune, I think you should run Calm Mind Slowking > Azumarill. Calm Mind Slowking beats Calm Mind Suicune (that don't carry Roar > Sleep Talk) due to it having Psyshock, and it also benefits from Magma Storm Heatran trapping Chansey, though Slowking can beat Chansey 1v1 if they don't run Toxic.

Speaking of Heatran, that isn't really the proper spread for Magma Storm Heatran. You should run Max SpA on Heatran since this allows it to not only break through slower Heatran better, but also helps add on to the damage when trapping since the extra power + Toxic + Magma Storm damage at the end of turns helps guarantee a kill or leave whatever you're trapping is very low when they're freed. It's also nice for being able to 2HKO physically defensive Gliscor, guarantee an OHKO on M-Heracross, and makes breaking M-Sableye much easier.

I honestly feel like the only two viable spinblockers in the tier after Aegislash's ban would be M-Sableye and Jellicent. Starmie outspeeds and kills Gengar with Psyshock, SpDef Excadrill takes a Focus Blast and can OHKO it with Mold Breaker Earthquake, Choice Scarf Excadrill OHKOs with Iron Head or Earthquake if they predict your switch, and the same happens with Sand Rush Excadrill (except it can't go for Earthquake). Gengar can mitigate its weakness against them, outside of Sand Rush Excadrill, by running Choice Scarf, but that's a pretty lackluster set that would only really fit on Hyper Offense builds that have Custap Skarmory, Froslass, Spikes Scolipede, etc.. This team is pretty defensive, so running that set isn't very optimal. It's kind of hard to replace M-Venusaur since it's capable to checking much more than stuff like Amoonguss, Ferrothorn, and Tangrowth can, plus its speed tier allows it to check Belly Drum Azumarill unlike the rest of them, so dropping it for M-Sableye is impractical. Jellicent can beat Excadrill and Starmie fairly reliably and has the utility in being able to check stuff like Keldeo, M-Scizor, Landorus-T, and Volcanion, but it's extremely passive, and only adds weaknesses if used alongside Slowking. So, to help improve your matchup against Kyurem-Black, and be able to Pursuit trap the Latis and Starmie, while also threatening Defoggers like Zapdos and Mandibuzz, you should run Choice Scarf Tyranitar > Gengar. Tyranitar helps dispose of all viable hazard removers in the tier bar Excadrill, which loses to both of your hazard setters since it fails to break your Skarmory, and can't consistently Rapid Spin against Garchomp due to all of the extra recoil. Tyranitar also helps check M-Pinsir which can OHKO Garchomp at +2, and can pick off weakened Skarmory with +2 Close Combat, assuming Skarmory doesn't get trapped by Magnezone which is commonly paired with it.

Lastly, a few of your EVs can use improvement to help get the most of your team's defensive capabilities. I'm not too sure if running 92 SpDef was a typo or intentional, but you should be run 92 Speed EVs on Garchomp to allow you to outspeed Base 70s like Bisharp, Breloom, and Volcanion. This helps you beat Bisharp and Breloom without taking extra damage in the process, as well as help with revenge killing Volcanion if worse comes to worse. You should also run a spread of 232 HP / 104 Def / 148 SpD / 24 Speed EVs on M-Venusaur with a Calm Nature. This spread helps you take two +3 Ice Beams from Timid Manaphy after Stealth Rock very comfortably, the speed allows you to outspeed max speed Adamant Belly Drum Azumarill, and the investment in physical defense helps you safely avoid the 2HKO from M-Lopunny's Return, Life Orb Weavile's Icicile Crash, and M-Diancie's Diamond Storm, all when Stealth Rock are up. This spread also gives you a fair shot of taking a Hyper Voice + Psyshock from Timid M-Gardevoir if you're at full.

An alternative you can take with this build is to run Clefable instead of Garchomp since your main two hazard setters struggle in getting up hazards against M-Sableye, plus your team relies solely on M-Venusaur to be able to switch into Rotom-W. On top of that, Tyranitar can't check Kyurem-B very consistently, and it's a huge threat to your team. This does make you a bit weaker to Bisharp, but you get a better matchup against Kyurem-B, Rotom-W, and M-Sableye. Clefable can act as a lure to Ferrothorn and Amoonguss with Fire Blast to support Calm Mind Slowking. Fire Blast is also nice for catching Excadrill switches so it can't try to freely come in to Rapid Spin away your hazards. It can alternatively run Thunder Wave to provide your team with a bit of speed control. I'll leave imports to both versions of the team below so you can try them out to see which you prefer.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 104 Def / 148 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Heatran @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Skarmory @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Iron Head
- Roost

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Crunch
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast / Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 104 Def / 148 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Heatran @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Skarmory @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Iron Head
- Roost

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Crunch

By the way, Dazzling Gleam is a poor option to run on Gengar since it has perfect neutral coverage with Shadow Ball + Focus Blast as it is, and there's nothing that it can't break that Dazzling Gleam is helping it take out, outside of maybe SpDef M-Sableye, which isn't very common. If you're going to run 4 Attacks Gengar then Icy Wind is a far better option since the premier Gengar check at the moment, outside of Chople Berry Tyranitar, is Assault Vest Tornadus-T. Icy Wind helps Gengar break Tornadus-T, assuming Stealth Rock are up, as well as SpDef Gliscor which is one of the only other viable checks to it. If you're not going to run 4 Attacks Gengar, Taunt is generally the best option to run outside of dual STAB + Focus Blast since it allows you to break Chansey and helps break unprepared balance teams by preventing recovery or status options from being being used.

Hope I was able to help!

I really like that innovative azu set. Do you have any replays of you using it? I would love to see it in action.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-63620

^First (known) use of Watmel Berry + Natural Gift Azumarill.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)