VGC The Hau5 Special (regional top 32 team report + ramblings)

Hi there. My name is Milhau5. I play Pokemon a lot, but I don't really post a lot. Now, there's only 3 reasons anyone posts an RMT: to get help, to show off a team, or to talk about themselves, because deep down we love talking about ourselves and how special our Pokemon our. I'm posting for the latter two, and maybe somewhere in this wall of text, a prospective player will learn something about VGC.

The teambuilding process started with a team I ripped from Battlespot, the earliest draft:
RMT_1.png

It had Assault Vest Kartana. And the worst part is...I actually liked it. Take note, kids: this is how bandwagoning on memes can poison one's mind.

The final draft, below, is what I ended up using at the Hartford, CT regionals, and pretty much most of the season:
RMT_2.png

Now with Celesteela, we have another way to beat Kartana if Arcanine kicks the bucket. But with such a big change, I figure I might as well go from an AFK core to Chomp/RK9/Steela/Koko. Now, on the shit you wanted to read about, the sets:

Garchomp (M) @ Groundium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 44 SpD / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Rock Slide
- Protect
Garchomp really is a bully in this format: lack of ground resists, lack of levitators, and one of the most threatening Z-Moves in the game, period. There are so few hard counters to him in the Alola dex, that teams from all kinds of players end up being very weak to him. Some people need things like Twinkle Tackle Tapu Koko as their best means of getting rid of him. A lot of wins came from keeping him out of danger and using him to cause pressure.
The moveset catches everything for hard damage. You can't go wrong with QuakeSlide. Poison Jab doesn't cover a lot of threats, but the 4 that it does more than warrant the spot. For a while, Bulu/Arcanine/Nihilego cores were popular high up on the ladder, and irl. With Nihilego taken out, the whole team struggles against Chomp, with Bulu being the biggest sitting duck, despite being the centerpiece of the team.
The EVs let him outspeed most Arcanine, survive a Tectonic Rage from fellow chomp, and survive and Ice Beam from unboosted Porygon2. Max attack because you want knockouts.
Scarf chomp could technically also work here, but you would probably want a grass type or second levitator (even Togedemaru w/Balloon counts). And you probably wouldn't like the lack of flexibility, or missing that sweet Z-move. It's good for Best-of-One cheese, but becomes easier to play around in a game 2 or 3. I didn't like it.

Arcanine (M) @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 12 SpD / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Extreme Speed
- Helping Hand
- Protect
If you're familiar with VGC this year, you'll notice that this spread is pretty common, as are most on the team. You may think, "wow, this guy is a stiff, his favorite ice cream irl is probably vanilla". You're right about the second part. But guess what? Standards are standards for a reason: because they work.
This is referred to as the "Sejun Arcanine", because the spread was made by Korean player Sejun Park. Funny thing is, I've been using it for so long I forgot exactly what the numbers are for. It is nice, though, that a terrain-boosted, LO Tbolt from Koko triggers the berry, as opposed to dieing.
The most variance for RK9 is the third slot, and Helping Hand proved to be the most effective. This team has the potential to mount a strong defensive or offensive game. I NEVER have stall matches...either because I get quick kills, or I'm playing someone waaaay better than me. Either way, I like to cockblock stall, and HH helps give the added pressure needed.
Best uses: a HH-boosted Tectonic Rage will kill any Tapu Fini, all of which are EV'd to just barely survive the regular hit, so you give them a false sense of security. HH-boosted Dazzling Gleam also turns RK(+Koko into a hyper offensive lead that pressures opponents.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 180 HP / 180 Atk / 148 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed
- Protect
Improves the team's matchup against Kartana, Nihilego, AND Rain all in one slot. The attack EVs give it a good chance to 2HKO Garchomp, while the rest give it a slim chance to survive Tapu Koko's Gigavolt Havoc outside Electric Terrain. Also, Kartana's SpD is so laughable that, even with a -SpA nature, Flamethrower is a guaranteed OHKO.
I got comments about how unusually strong my steela is. I like it that way. It should hurt when a giant metal alien princess slams into you. All the better to get those beast boosts, which make it ten times more annoying to finish off.
With one boost and misty terrain, it shrugs off attacks from non-Specs Koko and gets the easy 2HKO. That's hard not to like. Speaking of Koko...

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nature Power
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Protect
I shouldn't have to explain to anyone what this set does. If you don't know, you've either been out of Pokemon for a while, or just started playing.
Oh shit, I guess Nature Power actually is kind of special. It gives you Moonblast in Misty Terrain so you can snipe the unsuspecting Garchomp. There isn't something Koko hates more than facing down a full-health chomp with only David Bowie-gleam as its means of defense.

Tapu Fini @ Choice Specs
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 236 HP / 4 Def / 228 SpA / 4 SpD / 36 Spe
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Scald
- Haze
This set used to be full of techs until the meta developed a little more. Scald is much more reliable than Hydro Pump, and still gets the job done in OHKOing all Adamant Arcanine without the worry of missing. Doing 35-42% chip damage to Steela with a chance to burn ain't bad either (iirc those are the numbers, don't ask me to do math on a Sunday night).
Dazzling Gleam is almost never needed, so Haze gives you an out against Belly Drum teams or Evoboost...but you gotta play it like an expert. Switch in on the turn they will boost, Haze, then switch out.
EVS: we want good bulk, almost max SpA, and speedcreep to know we will move before almost every other Fini.
I didn't like Calm Mind fini. It can't threaten anything without a boost. Here, you exert pressure and can pick up kills right away. In a game 1, it catches people off-guard. In game 2 or 3...it's still a big threat, they now know there are fewer things that can safely tay in on it. Its my favorite set this year. Don't fret about them knowing it's Specs right away....all that matters is the KOs.

Snorlax (F) @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 68 HP / 196 Atk / 244 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Return
- High Horsepower
- Curse
- Recycle
A seemingly lazy answer to Trick Room ends up forcing most teams (without Knock Off or Bug Bite) to forego using that option entirely. Even then, it's impossible to get rid of lax once the lax player gets proper board positioning.
It makes people groan during team preview, and at the worst, forces someone to use too many resources just to score one knockout. You get so many advantages from using it, I can't think of building a team this season without Snorlax. It's also worth noting that at +2, Mudsdale's Close Combat deals chump change, removing their would-be lax answer.
This is another case where I forget exactly what the EVs do. But snorlax was a good glue to the team, and, unlike Belly Drum lax, you can still threaten good damage without a boost.

***Weaknesses***
  • Rain: not really a weakness, just need to play around it. Since Double Duck (Pelipper+Golduck) looks like a good matchup for them, you lead in this oder: Fini/Steela/Snorlax/Chomp or Koko. Protect Steela when the Hydro Vortex looks obvious, and Moonblast Golduck. Without a Z-move and low health, it can't be a huge threat...so double up and kill Pelipper next turn so at most it only gets one Tailwind, and Steela gets that oh-so-important SpD boost. The rest should be managable from there. If you win Game 1, they won't use rain game 2, so adjust your leads accordingly. In theory, game 2 will be easier since there is likely no Rain, they know you're prepared for it. Every rain team I faced played out close to this scenario, if not exactly.
  • Nihilego: Just try to kill it. If it's a BAN core, lead Chomp/Steela. They might want to use HP Ice and risk losing Lego this turn, but Garchomp is bad for their team, so you give them the idea that they need to get rid of it when they have the chance. Either way, you get what you want: it switches out, or dies if it stays in (remember to protect or Switch chomp!). For Nihilego on non-BAN teams, play it by ear. There's so much variance in how people play it that you need to judge the situation for yourself.
  • Scarf Chomp: Only for Bo1 cheese. You can almost never see it coming.
  • Koko + Raichu: this is hard to predict exactly, since people of all skill levels play it differently. But with the threat of Fake Out, Encore, and two potential Z-Moves, it's the only bad matchup I have no plan for. Good thing it's super uncommon. The only one I fought at the CT regional, I managed to beat though :)
  • Sun: this actually shouldn't be that bad, but Turn 1 is always a little dicey. Does Lilligant Sleep Powder Arcanine, or Z-move Garchomp? The former is risky, but the latter leaves Lilligant open to dying turn 1 from a Flare Blitz. I need more experience with this because of how rare it is. I don't particularly understand the psychology of this type of team. Also, to add to the fun, Nihilego isn't an uncommon sight on these teams.

***Accomplishments***
  • 6W-2L at Hartford, CT Regionals in what is probably the most ridiculous tie I've seen in a long time: new england clam chowda.png
  • The earliest version of the team did this (which it honestly shouldn't have, considering how bad AV Kart actually is): VeeGeeSeas.png

***Personal Notes***
  • The team's strength is that is has an answer to everything. There is nothing too bad to handle if played right. You can almost always find an advantage.
  • Using common Pokemon gives you good insight into the psychology of those that use it at a high level
  • To that end, try to use as many different mons as possible. Don't worry about losing elo, it's a meaningless metric. Experiment!
***Looking to the future***
I've actually been on a bad post-regionals tilt. I think that's a good excuse to kick back until the Ultra games come out.
The other two excuses are Mario Odyssee and Wolfenstein :)

I'll keep playing in 2018 to improve my consistency. My goal is to feel confident enough to enter the US Internats.

***Shoutouts***
Jio for some team suggestions
Eisenherz I did already thank you for the Snorlax, but a shoutout section with only one name in it looks kind of lame (thanks again :))

***Importable***
Garchomp (M) @ Groundium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 44 SpD / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Tapu Fini @ Choice Specs
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 236 HP / 4 Def / 228 SpA / 4 SpD / 36 Spe
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Scald
- Haze

Arcanine (M) @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 12 SpD / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Extreme Speed
- Helping Hand
- Protect

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 180 HP / 180 Atk / 148 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Snorlax (F) @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 68 HP / 196 Atk / 244 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Return
- High Horsepower
- Curse
- Recycle

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nature Power
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Protect

Attachments

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)