Tournament The LC Old Gens League - Signups (SM slots Full)

approved by Quote

LC Old Gens League

Hello and welcome to the inaugural edition of the LC Old Gens League; aka the “Joltage wanted an excuse to play ORAS before LCPL tour” but that name doesn’t quite roll off the tongue. I am your host, Joltage, and I hope that this tour will be both a competitive and enjoyable experience for all involved.

Tour Format
The LC Old Gens League (further referred to as the “OGL”) is an LC tour in the style of major football/soccer tournaments in that it has both a group stage and a knockout stage, and is very much similar in concept to the ROA Major League tour. In the OGL, players will sign up to play one of the four LC Old Gens (SM, ORAS, BW, and DPP) as their “home tier” before being placed in a group with 3 other players each with different “home tiers.” The target number of players is 64 with 16 players per gen and 16 groups of 4 players. If signups fall short of the target, the format will be adjusted accordingly with 48 total players, or 32 if things get really dire. The 32 player format will look exactly the same, just smaller, but the 48-player format will be slightly modified. More on that later.

Tournament Rules:
General tournament rules and regulations can be found here.
Battles should take place on the Pokemon Showdown or SmogTours server.
Replays must be saved and posted

Group Stage
During the Group Stage, players will battle each of their opponents twice in a double round-robin Bo1 with one “home game” and one “away game” a piece. Players will receive 1 point for a win and 0 points for a loss. After each player plays all 6 games of the Group Stage, the top 2 of each group will advance to the Knockout Stage. Tiebreakers will be based on head-to-head record, and away record if the tie remains unbroken. If the tie remains unbroken after examining away record, there will be a tie-breaker game in a neutral meta agreed to by both players. For example, if Player A and Player B are tied after away records have been compared, and Player A’s home tier is SM while Player B’s home tier is BW, they will have to play their tiebreaker game in either ORAS or DPP and the winner will advance to the next stage.
48-Player Format
In the event of a 48-player tour, the Group Stage will be split into 8 groups of 6 players, all of whom will share the same “home tier.” Each player will play the other 5 members of their group in a single round-robin for a total of 5 games played, and at the completion of all 5 games, the top 3 will advance to the Knockout Stage with the group winners advancing to the 2nd round of the Knockout Stage. Tiebreakers will be determined by the head-to-head matchup.

Knockout Stage
In the Knockout Stage, the players will be placed into a random seeded draw* where the Group Stage winners will play Group Stage runner-ups in the first knockout round. The overall bracket will be set at that point and will be available to see for all. Knockout Stage matches will be Bo3 with the first two games being each player’s “home tier” and the third game being a neutral tier to be decided upon by the players when scheduling their set. For example, if Player J and Player O are opponents in the Knockout Stage, and Player J’s home tier is DPP and Player O’s home tier is ORAS, the third game of the set must be in either SM or BW and that should be decided when they schedule to play each other. In the event that Knockout Stage opponents share the same “home tier,” they may play their entire set in that tier.
48-Player Format
In the 48-player variant of the tour, the first Knockout round will be a randomly seeded draw* between the 2nd and 3rd place finishers in the Group Stage. Winners of the first round will move on to the next round where they will again be randomly seeded and drawn against the Group Stage winners. The actual format of the Bo3s remains the same as with the standard format.
*Note: Players from the same group will not be allowed to play each other in the first round of the draw.

Tier Specific Rules and Resources

SM

SM will be the same as it was when the generation finished its lifecycle. It was contemplated to institute some changes, likely either a Vullaby or Webs banning, but no consensus was reached in the planning phase of this tour. So SM games in this tour will follow standard SM LC clauses.
SM VR
SM Analyses

ORAS

ORAS will also not be altered for this tour and will follow standard ORAS LC clauses.
ORAS VR
ORAS Analyses

BW

BW is where things change, as both Misdreavus and all Sleep inducing moves (Spore, Sleep Powder, Hypnosis, etc.) will be banned. Misdreavus has long been cited as a problem for BW LC that has gone unchanged, and this tour will give us an opportunity to explore the meta in a new light. Sleep moves being banned is a decision made in accordance with their recent banning in BW OU as Sleep has come to be considered a broken mechanic in the 5th Generation. Other than that, all other standard BW LC clauses apply. I hope that these changes will entice people to give the tier another shot and hopefully change the meta for the better.
BW VR
BW Analyses (Not really all that useful with such a big shakeup, but here they are anyway)

DPP

DPP will also see changes as all Sleep inducing moves will be banned here as well. This decision has been made with the perception and understanding that the previous ban of just Hypnosis was not enough to fix the problem with Sleep in DPP. Other than that, all standard DPP LC clauses apply.
DPP VR
DPP Analyses

IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Due to the nature of this tour, it is imperative that players play all of their Group Stage games. Please DO NOT quit the tour during the Group Stage, doing so is not fair to the rest of the participants and I won’t sub people in if games have already been played. If you feel that you cannot commit to playing at least 6 games, either don’t signup or request a sub immediately and before you begin playing.
Additionally; Replays will be 100% REQUIRED for this tour, especially the Group Stage games as I need to know who wins what games specifically. You may hide them, I guess, (just know I will think you’re kinda lame) but you must post them in your match reports.

To sign up for this tour, your post should look like this:
Username:
Timezone:
Home Tier:
Alternate Options
:
I PROMISE TO COMPLETE ALL OF MY GROUP STAGE GAMES

Signups will be first come, first served, so get in sooner rather than later to secure your spot. The alternate options section is for if there are too many signups for a particular home tier and you wouldn’t mind having a different home tier. List your alternates in order of preference and leave off any that you do not want the potential of having as your home tier. If you do not wish to play any other tier as your home tier than the one you signed up for, put “none” next to alternate options.
Username: Joltage
Timezone: GMT-5
Home Tier: ORAS
Alternate Options: BW, DPP

Signups are open now and will close on Sunday, February 23rd at 11:59 PM EST (GMT-5) or when 16 players for each tier have been reached. Whichever comes first.

Oh and feel free to come to me with any questions, comments, or concerns. TY

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Username: Expulso
Timezone: GMT-6
Home Tier: DPP
Alternate Options: ORAS > BW > SM

Edit: changed main tier from ORAS TO DPP

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)