The Legend of Old Gregg (OU Warstory)

Hey there guys, Giovanni here. So I was on the PO servers messing around, mainly because I was procrastinating instead of doing school work. Well I had a really good battle with a guy named Horace and he said I could post it for your enjoyment. Let me know what you guys think, but keep in mind this is my first warstory.

My comments in blue. Horace's team listed at the end.
Giovanni's Team:

Battle between RcktBossGiovanni and Horace started!
Tier: OverUsed Gen 4
Variation: +17, -14
Rule: Rated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Freeze Clause
Rule: Evasion Clause
Rule: OHKO Clause
Rule: Species Clause

Horace sent out Yanmega!
RcktBossGiovanni sent out Empoleon!

VS

Hmm... Lead Yanmega. I don't think it will be running Tinted Lens, but will probably try to Baton Pass the speed boosts to something else. Most Yanmega can't hurt my Empoleon (bar Hidden Powers), so I'll try laying down rocks first.

Start of turn 1
The foe's Yanmega used Bug Buzz!
It's not very effective...
Empoleon lost 75 HP! (21% of its health)

Empoleon used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around Horace's team!

The foe's Yanmega's Speed Boost increases its speed!
The foe's Yanmega's Speed rose!

Bug Buzz did less than 25% to me. If he had a Hidden Power that could take me out, he'd have used it on turn 1. Time to spring into action and take this giant dragonfly out.

Start of turn 2
The foe's Yanmega used Bug Buzz!
Empoleon lost 80 HP! (22% of its health)

Empoleon used Hydro Pump!
The foe's Yanmega lost 99% of its health!
The foe's Yanmega hung on using its focus sash!

The foe's Yanmega's Speed Boost increases its speed!
The foe's Yanmega's Speed rose!

Start of turn 3
Empoleon used Aqua Jet!
The foe's Yanmega lost 0% of its health!
The foe's Yanmega fainted!

Priority is the bane of speed boosting Pokemon. Yanmega drops like (pardon the pun) a fly, giving me an early lead. Let's see what he brings out now.

SCORE: 1 - 0

Horace sent out Flygon!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Flygon!

VS

Start of turn 4
The foe's Flygon used Earthquake!
It's super effective!
Empoleon lost 197 HP! (55% of its health)
Empoleon fainted!

Failed prediction on my part, I should have known that Flygon was scarfed. Oh well, I guess that evens the score as my royal penguin does its job. It wasn't going to stay out much longer anyways.

SCORE: 1 - 1

RcktBossGiovanni sent out Starmie!

VS

Hopefully I can force out his Flygon... Lets see if this works.

Start of turn 5
Horace called Flygon back!
Horace sent out Bronzong!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Bronzong!

VS

Starmie used Ice Beam!
The foe's Bronzong lost 13% of its health!
The foe's Bronzong was frozen solid!

The foe's Bronzong restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Awesome! Some hax goes my way, giving me an opportunity to take out his Bronzong. Usually reserved for late game, I figured now was a perfect opportunity to set up. Make way for...

Start of turn 6
RcktBossGiovanni called Starmie back!
RcktBossGiovanni sent out Scizor!

VS

The foe's Bronzong thawed out!
The foe's Bronzong used Explosion!
Scizor lost 186 HP! (65% of its health)
The foe's Bronzong fainted!

SCORE: 2 - 1

Horace sent out Porygon-Z!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Porygon-Z!
The foe's Porygon-Z's Download activates!
The foe's Porygon-Z's Sp. Att. rose!

VS

SHIT! Bronzong thaws out right away and takes out most of Scizor's life force, and on top of that Porygon-Z got a free Sp. Att boost. All I can hope to do is take it out before it wrecks me too much.

Start of turn 7
The foe's Porygon-Z used Tri Attack!
Scizor lost 96 HP! (34% of its health)
Scizor fainted!

SCORE: 2 - 2

Crap, hit Brick Break instead of Bullet Punch. Oh well, I just have to find a way to shut it down now. I'm going to attempt to use Gyarados because it should be able to KO after a Dance.

RcktBossGiovanni sent out Gyarados!

VS

Gyarados intimidates the foe's Porygon-Z!
The foe's Porygon-Z's Attack fell!

Start of turn 8
Gyarados lost 249 HP! (67% of its health)

Ouch.

Gyarados used Dragon Dance!
Gyarados's Attack rose!
Gyarados's Speed rose!

Gyarados restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 9
Gyarados lost 144 HP! (38% of its health)
Gyarados fainted!

SCORE: 2 - 3

Ok it has to be scarfed. There's no other way it could possibly have outsped me. Flygon, you'd better earn your keep on this team.

RcktBossGiovanni sent out Flygon!

VS

Start of turn 10
Flygon used Outrage!
The foe's Porygon-Z lost 78% of its health!

Flygon lost 292 HP! (97% of its health)

That was lucky.... Very lucky.

Start of turn 11
Flygon used Outrage!
The foe's Porygon-Z lost 9% of its health!
The foe's Porygon-Z fainted!

SCORE: 3 - 3

Flygon calmed down!
Flygon became confused!
Horace sent out Flygon!

VS

Now I am faced with a decision... Do I leave Flygon's fate to luck (I'd have to win the speed tie AND the confusion), or use it for cannon fodder later and let Horace's Flygon get a free U-turn. I decided to risk it, and as I click Outrage I cross my fingers...

Start of turn 12
The foe's Flygon used U-turn!
Flygon lost 9 HP! (2% of its health)
Flygon fainted!

SCORE: 3 - 4

Horace called Flygon back!
Horace sent out Gengar!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Gengar!

Damn. His Flygon outsped mine. Well, his switch in was Gengar, and Starmie can handle that poltergeist.

VS

Start of turn 13
Starmie used Hydro Pump!
The attack of Starmie missed!

The foe's Gengar used Destiny Bond!
The foe's Gengar is trying to take its foe with it!

Never have I ever been happier for Hydro Pump to miss. If I'd hit Gengar with it, Starmie would've been a goner, and that little starfish is gonna help me out later (I didn't know it at the time). I gg Horace, because from this point I think it's over with. Predicting a Tbolt, I switch in my yet-hidden Jolteon.

RcktBossGiovanni: gg

Start of turn 14
RcktBossGiovanni called Starmie back!
RcktBossGiovanni sent out Jolteon!

VS

The foe's Gengar used Thunderbolt!
Jolteon's Volt Absorb made the attack useless!

Haha! Success. Jolteon takes the Thunderbolt like a pro, and counters back with Shadow Ball, taking out the purple spectre once and for all.

Start of turn 15
Jolteon used Shadow Ball!
It's super effective!
The foe's Gengar lost 87% of its health!
The foe's Gengar fainted!

SCORE: 4 - 4

Horace sent out Tyranitar!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Tyranitar!

VS

The foe's Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!

He sends in TTar, presumably to EQ me to death. I'm running HP Grass, so I try to at least weaken him. I know the rest of his team, and there's nothing else Jolteon can do. The electric fox does his best to take out the evil rock monster with him.

Start of turn 16
Jolteon used Hidden Power!
It's super effective!
The foe's Tyranitar lost 38% of its health!

The foe's Tyranitar used Earthquake!
It's super effective!
Jolteon lost 218 HP! (80% of its health)
Jolteon fainted!

SCORE: 4 - 5

Jolteon takes one for the team and weakens the lizard, bringing him into guaranteed KO range for Starmie. Go my little starfish, go!

The sandstorm rages!
The foe's Tyranitar restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

VS

Start of turn 17
Starmie used Hydro Pump!
It's super effective!
The foe's Tyranitar lost 55% of its health!
The foe's Tyranitar fainted!

SCORE: 5 - 5

Down to our final Pokemon... His Flygon versus my Starmie. Starmie has definitely been a trooper this match, but does it have one more left in it? We'll see.

The sandstorm rages!
Starmie is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Horace sent out Flygon!

VS

Start of turn 18
The foe's Flygon used Outrage!
Starmie lost 190 HP! (72% of its health)

Starmie hangs on by an inch! This is gonna be close, because at this point Life Orb might KO me. It's down to the wire!

Starmie used Ice Beam!
It's super effective!
The foe's Flygon lost 82% of its health!
The foe's Flygon fainted!
Starmie fainted!

Tie between RcktBossGiovanni and Horace!
FINAL SCORE: 6 - 6

A TIE! That's a first for me. Props to Horace... He read me like a book at times, and had luck on his side more than once. Overall he's a great battler and I hope all of my future battles are half as good as that one. It kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time.

Props:
- Starmie, for being a trooper
- Porygon-Z, for taking out my 3 of my Pokemon
- Horace's Flygon, for winning the speed tie and turning the tide your way
- Horace, for being a great battler and worthy opponent
- Empoleon, for swinging momentum in my favor early on in the match
- Bronzong, for thawing out right away and weakening my Scizor enough to get it in KO range

Slops:
- Gengar, even though its not his fault, Destiny Bond failing to take out my Starmie
- My Flygon, for losing the speed tie
- Scizor, for not KO-ing Porygon-Z

Anyways, thanks for reading this. Hopefully I can get some CC and you'll see more war stories from me.

Horace's team:

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
A well-done warstory. It was enjoyable enough to read, but not the nail-biting battle which is generally made into a warstory: not enough prediction and counter prediction, and rarely would you find a good enough battle in 13 turns for a warstory anyway. This was really just revenge-kill after revenge-kill. Try a better battle next time and it should be excelent.

I'mmm ooolllldd Gregg!

Nice warstory, and a exciting finish. Not the best comments but who really cares. Porygon-Z sure does rip shit up if it is given the chance.

The battle was short, so at least that's a good thing as it did not just drag on, but other than that or perhaps partly because of that, there was not much prediction involved. The comments you made only makes the reader (i.e. me) realize that you probably should learn / know more about the metagame first.

Yanmega does not learn Baton Pass.

Scarf flygon is the most common Flygon set, but Flygon easily outspeeds Empoleon even without a scarf, so your comment about "I should have known Flygon was scarfed" did not really make sense, because at that point you wouldn't have known.

Your Starmie was faster than Gengar and used Hydro Pump before Gengar used Destiny Bond, so if Starmie's Hydro Pump hit, it would not have been affected by that Destiny Bond, so there was no need at all to be happy about the miss.

The lay-out is good, and the comments were nice too, though a bit short. The battle was short too, and didn't contain things like great prediction, but still a pretty ok battle nonetheless.

6/10

As for my knowledge of the metagame, I only recently gotten into competitive battling and as such I don't have everything memorized. I only included my initial reactions during the battle, and I didn't know that Yanmega didn't get Baton Pass. I saw the Speed Boost and that was my initial reaction, as I've had to deal with Ninjask and I assumed a similar set. I also don't have the speed tiers memorized, hence my Flygon/Empoleon and Starmie/Gengar speed comments.

Good presentation, I liked the layout. The comments were a bit short, but they were satisfying. The battle was pretty short, and it didn't really contain outstanding predictions and strategy, but it was fun to read, which is always a plus.

Overall, not bad for a first warstory, not bad at all. I look forward to reading more of your warstories.

Rating: 7.5/10

Pretty clutch hydro pump miss haha.

This is why I want to run starmie on my team, it feels like starmie's are frequently overlooked.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Great presentation, the battle was short & sweet, but great & we actually had a tie warstoried for the first time (As far as I know). The only criticism in my opinion would be that the commentary was lacking. If you expand on the commentary, you'll be pumping out good warstories in no time. 4/5

well written warstory tho the battle wasn't epic and yea hydro pumps acurracy is a bitch isn't it lolz can't wait to see more in the future.

Yammega does not learn baton pass.
I believe someone else already mentioned that. Like I said they were my initial first reactions, and as such I did not have memorized that Yanmega does not learn Baton Pass. I'm sorry that I don't have all 493 movepools learned and memorized, but jeez, chill.

I got this far: Hmm... Lead Yanmega. I don't think it will be running Tinted Lens, but will probably try to Baton Pass the speed boosts to something else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)