Other The Next Best Thing - ORAS OU Edition (Discussing Gardevoir sets) Check Post #920

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chesnaught @ Salac Berry
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb

Disclaimer: I did not make this set

Sub + Belly Drum Chesnaught is an awesome and very unexpected sweeper. It relies heavily on the advantage of surprise but when it gets set up it is very difficult to stop. Basically you come in on something you wall (e.g bisharp) or something that can't do anything but status you (e.g Rotom-W) or something that outright can't touch you (Ferrothorn) and set a substitute up. Then you can go for a free Belly Drum which at that point will activate your Salac Berry and allow you to sweep with your dual STAB.
Thoughts on running Shadow Claw for complete neutral coverage instead of Seed Bomb? or maybe Rock Slide?

Chesnaught @ Meadow Plate
Ability: Bulletproof / Overgrow
EVs: 92 HP / 192 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Wood Hammer
- Super Fang
- Substitute

This set aims to weaken defensive teams with Super Fang, which cuts the target's current HP in half. This means that it can lure in, just for example, Mega Venusaur, and take off 75% of its health with two rounds of Super Fang which can allow a teammate like Mega Altaria to then wreak havoc. Another example would be weakening Skarmory so that Excadrill can sweep.

Drain Punch is self-explanatory.
Wood Hammer allows it to 2HKO Mega Sableye, who is immune to Super Fang, after a small amount of damage. Drain Punch can patch up the recoil damage.
Sub blocks status, prevents Scald burns and eases prediction, and Drain Punch again pairs well with this.

192+ Atk is enough to 2HKO Mega Sableye with Wood Hammer while using Meadow Plate. 224 Spe creeps Rotom-W/Azumarill/Mega Venusaur/etc. The rest is put into bulk, and is just about enough to where Lando-T can't break its subs with U-Turn.

Bulletproof allows it to beat Mega Venusaur, but Overgrow can be used for a stronger Wood Hammer.

Chesnaught @ Salac Berry
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb

Disclaimer: I did not make this set

Sub + Belly Drum Chesnaught is an awesome and very unexpected sweeper. It relies heavily on the advantage of surprise but when it gets set up it is very difficult to stop. Basically you come in on something you wall (e.g bisharp) or something that can't do anything but status you (e.g Rotom-W) or something that outright can't touch you (Ferrothorn) and set a substitute up. Then you can go for a free Belly Drum which at that point will activate your Salac Berry and allow you to sweep with your dual STAB.
Overgrow is worth considering as you'll be in Overgrow range after using Sub+BD, allows you to OHKO the latis at +6.

+6 252 Atk Chesnaught Seed Bomb vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Latias: 249-293 (78 - 91.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252 Atk Overgrow Chesnaught Seed Bomb vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Latias: 373-439 (116.9 - 137.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Wow, all these entries are really cool :]
However, I'm not a really big fan of CB Chesnaught. Being locked into a Fighting or Grass type move isn't exactly good, while as a physical attacker, CB Kyu-B hits a lot harder.

Also, Sergeant Spooky, your Super Fang Chesnaught is kinda similar to ZANBAKUresh's set, so I'd recommend you to change it.

Chesnaught @ Choice Band
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Low Kick
- Stone Edge
- Iron Tail

With maximum Attack investment and a Choice Band equipped, Chesnaught reaches a fantastic 516 Attack stat, giving it tremendous firepower. Wood Hammer is Chesnaught's primary STAB attack, being able to OHKO or severely dent most of the metagame. Low Kick hits Steel-types hard, as most of them are fairly heavy. Stone Edge nails Mega Charizard Y, Mega Pinsir, and Talonflame on the switch, while Iron Tail is used to hit Fairy-type Pokemon for super effective damage. I decided to invest 144 EVs into Speed in order to outrun Adamant max Speed Azumarill. 252 EVs were put into Attack to hit as hard as possible, and the remaining EVs were put into HP for extra bulk.

• 252+ Atk Choice Band Chesnaught Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 266-314 (67.5 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Chesnaught Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 362-428 (86.1 - 101.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Chesnaught Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 470-554 (88 - 103.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • -1 252+ Atk Choice Band Chesnaught Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 144-171 (37.6 - 44.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Chesnaught Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Steelix: 218-258 (61.5 - 72.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Chesnaught Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 181-216 (52.6 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Chesnaught Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Heatran: 390-462 (101 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Chesnaught Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 282-332 (80.1 - 94.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes
  • -1 252+ Atk Choice Band Chesnaught Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gyarados: 176-208 (44.6 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Chesnaught Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 218-258 (51.4 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Chesnaught Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 276-326 (70 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Chesnaught Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sylveon: 294-348 (74.6 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
I feel like Breloom does this better. Access to Spore, Swords Dance and better Speed sets it apart, plus Technician and it can run focus sash

Thank God I got here before bulk up Ches was taken.

Chesnaught @ Leftovers/Lum Berry (so you can beat Rotom-W without sub up and not get burned at +0)
EVs: 164 HP, 120 atk, 224 spe
Adamant nature

Drain Punch/Substitute
Seed Bomb
Bulk Up
Synthesis

Similar to stuff like CroCune, that's bern around for ages, but physical and sadly less bulk.on the non boosting side. Bulk Up is the main point of this set, canclean up teams if nothing left has the sheer power to one shot it. Played similarly to CroBro/CroCune, and does the role well. If you opt for sub over drain punch, you can set up on scald pokes/status pokes, but have a harder time V grass resists and seismic toss Chansey. Synthesis is a great recovery move, and T-Tars that set sand are destroyed by STAB, as is rain teams save the hurricane spammer and Ferro if lacking drain punch, and reliable recovery is key on a set like this. It also has more utility than RestTalk, allowing a spare moveslot for sub (avoiding the status rest heals you from) or more coverage in Drain Punch. Seed Bomb is the move of choice>Drain Punch if going for sub due to MegaBro, MegaEye, Rotom-W, Azumarill, ghosts and the fact that pokes that resist Grass are either pokes that can do little back such as Bisharp, or pokes you want removed before setting up like Talonflame.

EVs are to outspeed standard Rotom-W, 2HKO it after lefties with Seed Bomb, and the rest put in bulk. It also OHKOs 252/0 Azumarill. The bulk doesn't have to be all HP, I just couldn't be bothered with more calcs.

Last edited:

blinkie

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ dank meme crew
I'm just saying but Chesnaught is a pretty good HM slave. Access to Cut, Dig, Flash, and Strength give it a stronk niche over Mew who is limited by some severe 4MSS.

I feel like Breloom does this better. Access to Spore, Swords Dance and better Speed sets it apart, plus Technician and it can run focus sash
This.

Breloom also has a higher attack stat, and a multi hit move in bullet seed to take down sash / sub users. Priority mach punch is also nice.

Wow, all these entries are really cool :]
However, I'm not a really big fan of CB Chesnaught. Being locked into a Fighting or Grass type move isn't exactly good, while as a physical attacker, CB Kyu-B hits a lot harder.

Also, Sergeant Spooky, your Super Fang Chesnaught is kinda similar to ZANBAKUresh's set, so I'd recommend you to change it.
Uh it's only similar in that both have super fang.

Well the whole point of using Super Fang is to wear down your opponent, and that's the goal of your set and zanbakuresh's.

Overgrow is worth considering as you'll be in Overgrow range after using Sub+BD, allows you to OHKO the latis at +6.

+6 252 Atk Chesnaught Seed Bomb vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Latias: 249-293 (78 - 91.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252 Atk Overgrow Chesnaught Seed Bomb vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Latias: 373-439 (116.9 - 137.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Oh wow it was meant to be overgrow. I think I clicked the wrong ability. Thanks for picking that up.

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
His set is helpless against Mega Sableye, has more bulk investment and doesn't have a Grass STAB.
Thinking about it, I didn't see that M-Sab hardwalls my variant. I'll change up mine a bit. firehusky our sets are really really different. My Set just uses purely the defensive side to break teams down slowly and using Super Fang to weakening more defensively oriented teams with mons like Glis lacking Acro and the like. His set however, takes on a more offensive stance with Meadow Plate + Sub (Very interesting btw) and allows him to help break down teams less passively as well. Our sets have the same purpose and end goal, just different ways to achieve.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
TANK CHESNAUGHT

I Think that Tank Chesnaught it´s the best set to run on him in the current metagame, so here you go:

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Drain Punch
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed/Taunt/Spikes/Toxic

Dual stab allows chesnaught to check a good number of mons (Azumarrill, Landorus, regular Gyarados, etc.), synthesis is for longevity and finally, the fourth move slot syndrome. In my case, I prefer leech seed, since synthesis only has 8 PP, but taunt it´s also good for bulky, calm mind users, water types like: CroBro, CroCune and Manaphy, which are becoming more popular. Spikes are for team support and toxic, it´s a little present for switch-ins like the Lati-twins, Altaria and Charizard. Other options could be roar, a set-up move or a coverage move (poison jab?).

Following, I´ve made a list with the Mons that Chesnaught walls and checks:
-Bisharp
-Breloom
-excadrill
-Ferrothorn
-M-Gyarados
-Landorus-T
-M-Lopunny
-Tyranitar (Physical)
-Crawdaunt
-TALONFLAME

-Azumarill
-Conkeldurr
-Gyarados (No Bounce)
-Keldeo
-Scizor / M-scizor (no SD Bug Bite)

-Slowbro / M-Slowbro
-Suicune
-Manaphy (Defensive calm mind)
- Tyranitar (Lure) / M-Tyranitar
-Diggersby Tho
-Empoleon
-Lucario (SD set)
While tank Chesnaught is a great set, it's arguably the most standard set that is seen and this project is mainly to discuss new, creative, or non-standard sets.

Alright, you told me to be creative, to make non-standard sets, to be innovative. Here is what I have for you:

Lure Chesnaught

Based Set (Chesnaught) @ Life Orb
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 228 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Poison Jab
- Drain Punch
- Dragon Claw / Seed Bomb

The idea of these set is to attract Keldeo´s common counters and weaken them with unnexpected moves (Basically, lure them). Zen Headbutt it´s for Venusaur and Amoongus, Poison Jab for Fairy types like Clefable and M-Altaria, Drain Punch for recovery. The fourth move can be Dragon Claw for Lati-twins, but if you want Tyranitar in your to do that job, you can always use Seed Bomb insteed.

Calcs:
252+ Atk Life Orb Chesnaught Zen Headbutt vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 182-216 (50.6 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock.

252+ Atk Life Orb Chesnaught Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Amoonguss: 224-265 (51.8 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery.

252+ Atk Life Orb Chesnaught Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 190-226 (48.2 - 57.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery.

252+ Atk Life Orb Chesnaught Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Altaria: 148-177 (41.8 - 50%) -- 88.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock.

252+ Atk Life Orb Chesnaught Dragon Claw vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Latias: 239-283 (74.9 - 88.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock.

Chesnaught: Sub-Endeavor
Chesnaught @ Salac Berry
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Endeavor
- Superpower / Drain Punch / Low Kick
- Stone Edge / Wood Hammer / Seed Bomb

A twist to typical Chesnaught sets with an offensive set with Endeavor turns it into a decent sweeper with the ability to lure out faster checks like Altaria, Charizard, Latios, Gallade etc, sub down to gain a +1 to outspeed them, Endeavor them down to 1 HP, to eliminate them, while getting some sweeping power at +1 Spe assuming the opponent lacks a priority user. Due to the unique resistance and immunity Chesnaught has, it is not hard to get a free Sub on a predicted switch. Typically the opponent would switch to a check or a counter to attempt to kill Chesnaught, but Chesnaught can Sub down to the berry and get a +1 to outspeed, then Endeavor while the opponent breaks the Sub, followed by an attack for the kill. Against a defensive team, Wood Hammer in the last slot could get yourself down to low HP for the Endeavor, and subsequently defeating the defensive mon.

224 Spe with a Jolly nature allows Chesnaught to hit 363 Spe after the berry is activated, allowing it to get the jump on base speed 115s like Starmie. Atk is maxed for some sweeping power after the berry is activated, and rest is put into HP, which still gives a HP stat indivisible by 4 so you can make 4 Subs before having to Endeavor. 3rd slot would be the main STAB considering Fighting provides superior coverage over Grass. Superpower gives greater immediate power since 2 Superpowers are stronger than 2 Drain Punch factoring the Atk drop from Superpower. Drain Punch on the other hand allows Chesnaught to sustain itself a while longer against frailer teams. Low Kick is still a pretty decent move, albeit less reliable than the other 2. Stone Edge provides the best overall coverage with Fighting, so it is a great move to round off the coverage. Wood Hammer on the other hand, makes Chesnaught better against slower mons, allowing it to get the Endeavor more easily. Seed Bomb is just there as another option so you won't kill yourself if you are already at 1 HP. Other moves that sort of works in the last slot includes general utility moves such as Taunt to block healing; Spiky Shield to kill stuff that outspeeds you even after the berry; Pain Split to leech some health from the next switch in; or even Spikes to get a layer up before going down.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Chesnaught: Sub-Endeavor
Chesnaught @ Salac Berry
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Endeavor
- Superpower / Drain Punch / Low Kick
- Stone Edge / Wood Hammer / Seed Bomb

A twist to typical Chesnaught sets with an offensive set with Endeavor turns it into a decent sweeper with the ability to lure out faster checks like Altaria, Charizard, Latios, Gallade etc, sub down to gain a +1 to outspeed them, Endeavor them down to 1 HP, to eliminate them, while getting some sweeping power at +1 Spe assuming the opponent lacks a priority user. Due to the unique resistance and immunity Chesnaught has, it is not hard to get a free Sub on a predicted switch. Typically the opponent would switch to a check or a counter to attempt to kill Chesnaught, but Chesnaught can Sub down to the berry and get a +1 to outspeed, then Endeavor while the opponent breaks the Sub, followed by an attack for the kill. Against a defensive team, Wood Hammer in the last slot could get yourself down to low HP for the Endeavor, and subsequently defeating the defensive mon.

224 Spe with a Jolly nature allows Chesnaught to hit 363 Spe after the berry is activated, allowing it to get the jump on base speed 115s like Starmie. Atk is maxed for some sweeping power after the berry is activated, and rest is put into HP, which still gives a HP stat indivisible by 4 so you can make 4 Subs before having to Endeavor. 3rd slot would be the main STAB considering Fighting provides superior coverage over Grass. Superpower gives greater immediate power since 2 Superpowers are stronger than 2 Drain Punch factoring the Atk drop from Superpower. Drain Punch on the other hand allows Chesnaught to sustain itself a while longer against frailer teams. Low Kick is still a pretty decent move, albeit less reliable than the other 2. Stone Edge provides the best overall coverage with Fighting, so it is a great move to round off the coverage. Wood Hammer on the other hand, makes Chesnaught better against slower mons, allowing it to get the Endeavor more easily. Seed Bomb is just there as another option so you won't kill yourself if you are already at 1 HP. Other moves that sort of works in the last slot includes general utility moves such as Taunt to block healing; Spiky Shield to kill stuff that outspeeds you even after the berry; Pain Split to leech some health from the next switch in; or even Spikes to get a layer up before going down.
If you're going to run Sub-Salac you're probably better off using the Belly Drum set with Overgrow, since it can sweep unprepared teams on its own.

Also, Belly Drum set that one guy posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)