The Next Best Thing... [V2]: Set Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys do realize that King UU's set is basically the first set listed in the analyses, LO 3 Attacks + Encore, except trading the utility of Prankster Encore for the situational but useful Infiltrator, right?

Anyway, the Sunny Day set is original and awesome for setting up a sun sweeper. My vote goes to...

Hogg

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Wow, two days and not even one response. Tentatively reserving a mixed Work Up set, if I can get it to actually work.

After some brief testing, Work Up Melo is kind of awful. I never wanted to waste turns on Work Up, especially considering that I needed a turn for Relic Song to switch forms. That said, mixed Relic Song Melo is actually kind of cool (as opposed to the more or less fully physical sets on the analysis). Maybe I'll play with it a bit more and see what I can come up with.

Last edited:
Wow, two days and not even one response. Tentatively reserving a mixed Work Up set, if I can get it to actually work.

After some brief testing, Work Up Melo is kind of awful. I never wanted to waste turns on Work Up, especially considering that I needed a turn for Relic Song to switch forms. That said, mixed Relic Song Melo is actually kind of cool (as opposed to the more or less fully physical sets on the analysis). Maybe I'll play with it a bit more and see what I can come up with.
Considering that there's like 57 sets listed in the analysis (not really but a lot), most of what Meloetta does well is taken. I thought of mixed Relic Song, since that was Mel's standard OU set last gen, and it was quite scary, so I say go for it. I have only 1 idea that's actually viable.

On a side note, SubCM is amazing, just saying. Used it in OU for a long time this gen and it rips thru stall, even setting up on and breaking thru Chansey and Blissey with max SpA. Too bad it's listed.

Last edited:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Meloetta @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Perish Song
- Heal Bell
- Shadow Ball / Knock Off

Yeah, I know SpD Meloetta is on the RU analysis (I wrote it lel), but iirc as long as it isn't on the UU analysis, I am allowed to post it. Anyways, SpD Meloetta may seem outclassed in most cases by Blissey, but Meloetta has access to a move that is pretty much mandatory on stall teams, but almost always forgotten, Perish Song (it also has Heal Bell which is a huge bonus, as two mandatory stall moves on one mon frees up a slot for some utility elsewhere). Unlike Blissey, which is set up bait for Pokemon that destroy stall, such as Sub CM Chandelure, CurseLax, and opposing Sub CM Meloetta, this set forces them out before they can do too much damage to your team, and prevents last mon set up sweepers from beating you. Meloetta's Psychic-typing is also kind of nice now that Alakazite is going to be tested, as a resisted Psyshock is much easier for Meloetta to shake off than it is for Blissey. So yeah this is actually a pretty cool set that shows off Meloetta's underrated 100/128 special bulk. Bouffalant if you aren't okay with me posting this set, then let me know and I will edit this with something else that will also be an ez win n_n.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

Meloetta @ Silk Scarf / Life Orb
EVs: two fifty two attack and two fifty speed with four evs in special attack
Lonely Nature
- Relic Song
- Last Resort

so this set capitalizes on the relative uncommonness of ghosts in the UU Metagame in order to wreak havoc on teams. With a blistering 128 spe stat and an impressive 128 atk stat, melo-p is a huge threat - especially when it can spam a base 130 STAB attack. The general concept is this - bring it in on a weakened threat and finish that threat off with Relic Song (or just do it against something that can't hurt you), then spam Last Resort and sweep the rest of the team, bar steels and random rock types I guess. the freedom to switch back and forth across formes is important because it lets you play mindgames around stuff like mega blastoise. relic song also has that beautiful 20% sleep chance if you're really desperate.

will update with replays, but it does fucking work ok

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
"Go ahead, ask me what the 'P' stands for, I dare you"

Meloetta @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Relic Song
- Close Combat
- Knock Off/Ice Punch
- Return/Knock off

• If using jolly spread, feel free run enough hit 380 (216 evs, rest in HP) to outspeed Noivern
  • Adamant outspeeds base 110s and hits incredibly hard against everything, even possibly 2koing forry:
    • 252+ Atk Life Orb Meloetta-P Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 157-187 (44.4 - 52.9%) -- 84% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
    • 252+ Atk Life Orb Meloetta-P Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 299-354 (87.6 - 103.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

A fun simple spread that wallbreaks the majority of the tier whilst threatening a lot of Meloetta's counters/checks quite hard with a p-set. In general, the set is pretty standard, however what makes it interesting is that the choice between knock off and ice punch has to do with your opinion on getting rid of pesky counters like Crobat and Gligar, which, normally, a P-set couldn't do. Further, this set is never seen in the meta which only adds to its value. 2koing forry means 2koing the whole non-resisted tier except for hippo. In general ghost types are scared of Meloetta's normal typing, which is where knock off can come in handy:
  • 252+ Atk Life Orb Meloetta-P Close Combat vs. 172 HP / 252+ Def Donphan: 175-208 (48 - 57.1%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Life Orb Meloetta-P Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 177-211 (42.1 - 50.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Last edited:

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Mixtape

Meloetta @ Life Orb
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball / Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Relic Song

Yeah, Mixed Meloetta. Most Relic Song sets focus solely on the physical, but mixed Meloetta is pretty amazingly difficult to wall.

Nothing too complicated here - you play as a special sweeper with the constant threat of Relic Song, which moves you from the respectable 297 Speed (outspeeding 252+ base 85s) to the outstanding 380 Speed (outspeeds Noivern), and lets you toss off STAB LO Close Combats off of 302 Attack.

Psychic/Shadow Ball gives you better initial coverage and power, especially alongside Close Combat, but if your team lacks Knock Off support then Knock Off is a viable alternative.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
Kitten Milk, because gimmicky or not, Dugtrio -> Last Resort Meloetta-P sounds like a scream

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
yeah i hate to be that guy again but

Physical Sweeper
########
name: Physical Sweeper
move 1: Relic Song
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Return
move 4: Knock Off
ability: Serene Grace
item: Life Orb
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

this is the set, straight off the analysis.

in the future, you guys really need to check before you post :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)