The Smogon "Suspect Test" Ladder is in full effect!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
We're doing things, guys. We're making great strides in competitive Pokémon, strides never taken before. We are bold enough to question convention, and smart enough to assess the results of our actions. But there's a middle ground there, one that can only be trod upon by diligent, dedicated feet. This is where our efforts are, perhaps, most important, but also where our efforts are the most enjoyable. Simply put, as of right now, our work is our play.

Based on the goings-on in the Policy Review forum over the past two months, our staff has decided to implement a ladder separate from the main ladder where we can gauge the impact of changes we make to the competitive Pokémon battling, be them additions of Pokémon to the standard metagame or removals. For some 4-5 months I have been throwing around the word "Suspect" in pokemon, and I will comprehensively define it here:

Any Pokémon, move or clause that respectively may benefit competitive standard or uber battle if moved or implemented elsewhere.

This statement applies to Pokémon, moves like Double Team and Stealth Rock, and Clauses like Species Clause and Evasion Clause. For example, we are first testing the removal of Garchomp from standard play, since it is the most important issue according to my Order Of Operations thread in Policy Review. We will play a "No-Garchomp" metagame for around a month. After that, we are going to let those of you who achieve a certain rating (with a certain deviation) vote after these month-long tests on whether or not you feel the Suspect belongs where it does. Though you may and should have questions, the main point as of right now is that we need you guys to play on this Suspect Test ladder in order for us to make our decisions with the most accuracy and fairness. Please post here with questions, comments, remarks on how happy you are that Garchomp is "gone", etc.

edit: yeah as of the night of August 10th Deoxys-S is gone too, sorry about your teams and stuff but it's the right thing to do because it is indeed a suspect

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What a perfect time for me to get working, reliable internet back :)

My team itself probably won't change much (one pokemon at best, a couple move slots at worst), but my playstyle sure will.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I can't wait to head onto the server and test this as soon as possible. This additional ladder will keep me up late tonight!

Glad to see we're taking steps forward.

I myself never had too much of a problem with Garchomp as of late. For me it was Extremespeed SD Lucarios that have attributed to most of my losses.

won my first battle on the test suspect ladder and I have to say, fighting in a garchomp less metagame is so much fun ;D

Syberia

[custom user title]
I myself never had too much of a problem with Garchomp as of late. For me it was Extremespeed SD Lucarios that have attributed to most of my losses.
The only "problems" I had with Garchomp were usually due to Sand Veil screwing me over at inopportune times, but maybe that's because I had to always carry around three "counters" for it.

i used garchomp to slam those SD lucarios into the ground... now once i find a replacement to chomp myself i'll hop on and enjoy

Dammit! That's one less easy kill for my Kingdra! Seriously, certain teams I have like Garchomp... Still, I do want to see the metagame without him. I can finally give Dragonite and Salamence more play!

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Only thing I notice is that if you do it this way, people who like Garchomp will have to play garchompless in order to get the right the vote to keep him.

Is that not weird?

It's the same situation as when we had, "people who hate wobbufet have to use him to get rid of him."

. . . and we know how productive that was.

Jumpman16

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
fyi:

[18:29] <+GreatSage> doug, i've won 3 consecutive matches on the suspect ladder, but my CRE seems to be stuck at 100
[18:30] <+GreatSage> my rating and volatility haven't changed either
[18:33] <+DougJustDoug> The first ratings period needs to go through.
[18:33] <+DougJustDoug> That will happen at 11:30pm.
[18:33] <+GreatSage> oh, ok

(and great sage is a lucky noob)

Syberia

[custom user title]
Only thing I notice is that if you do it this way, people who like Garchomp will have to play garchompless in order to get the right the vote to keep him.

Is that not weird?

It's the same situation as when we had, "people who hate wobbufet have to use him to get rid of him."

People have played with Garchomp for over a year, and seen what it can do. That's the only reason he's even being considered a suspect.

AWESOME. I love you guys, finally a place where I don't have to see Garchomp, smell Garchomp, win with Garchomp, hear about Garchomp and lose to Garchomp.

Thanks for taking action Jumpman16 and other higher-ups, I appreciate it.

Jumpman16

Is that not weird?

This time it will work because only those whose ratings are high enough will get a say. Seriously, the "work is play" corollary is not by accident—is it really asking that much to play a game to have a say in how it should be played?

This is good. Not that I care much about Garchomp myself (although I might try replacing HP Ice on a few things) but this is one step closer to the no SR ladder, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)