SM UU The Swoll Sweep (Buzzwole Offense)

Introduction
Back in the early days of SM OU, I tried using Buzzwole on a Sticky Web team and found the results pretty underwhelming. Compared to the various other powerful options on offer, especially Pheromosa, Buzzwole just seemed disappointing. Since it dropped to UU, I've been anxious to give the muscular bug a second pass. This is an offensive team I built with the objective of a Buzzwole cleanup late-game. This is my first RMT so if I've missed something obvious, I apologize, though of course I've tested the team.

The Team

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Focus Punch
- Ice Punch

The swoll bug is the center of the team and my most common win condition. Late-game, Buzzwole often sweeps with a Bulk Up or two. Sub can also be used to heavily punish status spammers. The rest of the team is built to synergize with Buzzwole doing its Buzzwole thing.

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Trick

Pretty much your stock-standard Chandelure set. Chandelure offensively threatens a whole bunch of mons that give Buzzwole trouble, such as damaged Latias, Azelf, Celebi, Amoonguss, Non-Scarf Starmie, and other assorted Psychics. Trick is great for crippling passive walls that might otherwise be able to stall Buzzwole out. Flash Fire synergizes defensively with Buzzwole, blocking Fire attacks and Will-O-Wisp. And of course, Chandelure hits like a truck all on its own.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Roost

I was looking at my core of Buzzwole and Chandelure and trying to figure out what threats I'd left out, and suddenly realized that they both utterly drop to Mega Aerodactyl. Thus, Gliscor. I opted for the Swords Dance set over Sub/Protect because I didn't want to be too passive. Gliscor can serve as the default physical tank for the team, allowing Buzzwole to remain healthy for the late-game. It also eats status, which lessens my reliance on Buzzwole's slow Sub. Overall, the purpose of Gliscor is to chip away at the enemy team so Buzzwole can follow up.

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast

Looking at my first three mons, I realized that for an "offensive" team I was pretty lacking in immediate power. Buzzwole needs a sub to do serious damage, Chandelure is strong but the Scarf limits its damage output, and Gliscor needs an SD or two to hit hard. To remedy this I added Specs Kyurem. Obviously Kyurem is a nuke, but it also fits above other nukes because it can destroy Flying-types that threaten Buzzwole and evade Gliscor's Earthquake. Togekiss in particular was checked often by Kyurem in testing.

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail
- Stealth Rock

My team of four was lacking speed, especially after Chandelure had Tricked its Scarf away. What better answer than Mega Aero? Aerodactyl instantly creates a second win condition, and I found it sweeping through my opponent's last three slower mons pretty often. It resists Flying, a quality I desperately needed, and it can set up hazards which increase my offensive pressure. Honestly, Aqua Tail was pretty much useless in testing, so I can see that being replaced with Roost, Taunt, or Pursuit.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Reflect Type
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
- Scald

First, let me just say that Reflect Type Starmie is an absolute beast. This thing 1v1'd an Electivire in my first game on the ladder. But enough of my swooning. I had initially thought that my team wouldn't mind rocks, but after the additions of Kyurem and Aerodactyl, I knew I absolutely needed a spinner or defogger. The problem is, most defoggers are weak to Ice, which was becoming a problem for my team. Instead I chose Starmie. Scald burns are amazingly helpful, and Starmie can eat status with Natural Cure. I'm not totally sold on physically defensive Starmie, as Gliscor and Buzzwole exist and I pretty much have no special bulk on my team, but lots of common hazard-setters are physical and I found Starmie to be a great blanket check to physical attackers.

Threats
Hazards remain a significant problem for the team, even with Starmie. Many common rockers pack Knock Off, Pursuit, or U-Turn, meaning Starmie can't spin as often as it would like. The team is vulnerable to being overrun by fast special attackers, especially Hydreigon and offensive Mega Blastoise, which I'm going to give their own sections. Buzzwole eats Blissey for breakfast, so stall isn't too much of an issue, although the lack of Taunt or phazing on my part might hurt me against defensive teams.

Hydreigon is probably the single greatest headache for me at the moment. Dark Pulse destroys Starmie, and Draco cleans up everything else. I can chip away at Specs, but at great cost. Scarfed Hydreigon gets a kill every time it comes in. Subbed Buzzwole is basically my only stop to the hydra.

Mega Blastoise gives me all the same problems as Hydreigon. Starmie does nothing to it. Kyurem can take Scald really well, but drops to Aura Sphere. My only saving grace is that Blastoise is slow, so I can threaten it out with Chandelure, Kyurem, or Aero (at low health). Offensive Blastoise is a much bigger problem than defensive because of its increased speed and power.

Conclusion
As a whole, I feel that the team has good synergy and a workable concept in UU. However, my weaknesses on the special side hold the team back. I don't think that a simple reworking of sets will be enough to patch things up. Dark Pulse, Draco Meteor, and Aura Sphere scream for a Fairy type to block them, but I'm not sure what to replace, or what to replace it with. Any advice on this front or any other is appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)