The Three R's: Refine, Revenge, and Raze

The Three R's: Refine, Revenge, and Raze

My Pokemon story is as short and relatively uninteresting as the vast majority of Smogon users, but it bears some relevance here, so let me summarize it for you. I first played Pokemon with Leaf Green, and fell in love with the game. I quickly organized my friends, and we played tournaments of sorts with some sense of competitiveness, with tiering. (although our bans were rather strange. We had Articuno banned yet Zapdos and Moltres legal for some reason.) I quickly became better then my friends, more due to a couple of simple strategies than anything else. When D/P came out (on my birthday, incidentally) I quickly began to roam the internet in search of competition.
And I found Smogon. I was never an active participant during the fourth generation. I never played Shoddy, and I made my first account during the twilight of HG/SS. Instead, I was a quiet observer, like many hundreds of Smogonites, watching competitive battles on Youtube and reading RMT's and analyses. It wasn't until the beginning of 5th gen that I decided to join the crowd, and I was among the first wave of players to play B/W on PO.
I've liked to think I've learned something in that time. Since then, I have deleted my old account, and started anew. I've never laddered really, as I find it rather boring and time-consuming. Instead, I play PO for fun, and fun it is. This team is the result of all the collective knowledge I've built up since then. Please help me improve it.

Team Building

Alright, when this team first debuted a few months back, I had never used Terrakion. I had heard many prominent Smogon users rave about it, as well as a few prominent users of other sites politely and delicately explain how goddamn stupid they were being. I decided to see who was right for myself.

I decided that, looking at the top most used Pokemon, many were weak to fighting type moves. I decided to use another one to capitalize on this. I carefully selected Conkelldur for some bulk and boosting power, as well as the ability to beat Excadrill.

I now desperately needed an effective special sweeper. I decided on NP thundurus, for its sheer speed and power, as well as offering some decent type synergy with Conkelldur and Terrakion.

I now wanted a lead capable of doing three simple things.
1.Set up Stealth Rock
2.Spread some kind of status
3.Provide maximum possible type coverage in conjunction with my sweepers

I picked specially defensive Heatran as it fulfilled all of these attributes.

I now needed a dragon. In this metagame, teams made without a single dragon type are in the minority. Dragon types are that dominant.
I'd used Choice Band Haxorus to some considerable success in the past. To brag a bit, I used Haxorus back when everyone thought it was a useless overhyped piece of crap. (the lack of speed tiers never bothered me for a wallbreaker). This time, however, I wanted something specially based. I briefly considered Hydreigon, but settled on Haxorus's specially based blood-brother; Choice Specs Latios.

Last but not least, I needed a revenge killer. After discarding my usuals, Scizor and Chandelure, I looked around the musty pages of Gen. 4 until I found what seemed like a pretty suitable revenge killer; Scarf Jirachi. It sported great coverage, U-Turn, speed, and decent bulk complemented by a steel typing.
This was the first draft of the team. It became moderately successful and was my default team when I was between drafts of new teams. Still, I knew something was missing. The team struggled mightily with many quick, frail sweepers. Scarf Hydreigon could very well sweep my team without taking a scratch if Jirachi and Conkelldur were down, and Jirachi was too weak to OHKO it anyway. I struggled similarly with Dragonite, Gengar, and even Gliscor. however, my team actually fared pretty well against common threats such as Ferrothorn, Tyranitar, and Excadrill. It wasn't the fact that my team was weak to others that mattered so much- it didn't have a strong enough supporting roster for the core.

With some help from the Simple Question, Simple Answer Forum, I replaced Jirachi with a Scarf Krookodile. Krookodile has a few notable things going for it. Most importantly, no one quite knows what to expect from it. Secondly, it has Moxie. Thirdly, it has better Attack than Jirachi, as well as access to more useful STAB's and coverage moves. Finally, it just looks so goddamned awesome.
The team became very, very close to perfection. However, I became aware of horrific Ice/Water type weaknesses, which left me completely at the mercy of Politoed and friends.

And finally, the final draft of the team itself! I reluctantly abandoned both my only source of entry hazards and my only attacking fire type move, but Jellicent has consistently impressed with its bulk, access to Will-O-Wisp, and most importantly, instant recovery.

A Closer Look

Supress (Jellicent) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Surf
- Recover

I named this Jellicent Supress, and Supress it does! This is the only wall on this team, the next bulkiest thing being Conkelldur. It is also my "lead" and my de facto switch in on hard-hitters, so it has its hands full.
The set is pretty standard. Will-O-Wisp is to burn things. I run Shadow Ball over Taunt so I have an easier time against opposing Jellicent and Reuniclus. I also use Surf over Scald as the power difference is noticeable and I can easily get something burned with W-O-W anyway. Finally, Recover is obviously used to increase Jellicent's longevity.
Jellicent can wall special hits all day, and is capable of taking a few physical ones when needed as well. Its biggest weakness is not being able to set up entry hazards. It is also rather predictable in style of play. I'm considering changing this to Tentacruel for the entry hazards, but I prefer the instant recovery.
Overall, I am extremely satisfied with Jellicent, but would be open to any changes or replacements.

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- X-Scissor
- Earthquake

Ah, CB Terrakion. Nothing in the history of the competive pokemon world more perfectly combines power, speed, bulk, and coverage. Its STAB moves hit almost the entire metagame for neutral damage, and its coverage moves complement them nicely. Stone Edge/Close Combat are monstrously powerful, Earthquake is. . . well, its Earthquake, and X-Scissor can be useful in quite a few situationn.
I run Jolly, as it won't really be missing the power boost, and the extra boost of speed is absolutely critical.
Many people rave about the RP/SD set, or the individually boosting sets, but I prefer the immidiate power that a Choice Band gives.
No way I'm replacing this unless you give me one helluva replacement. Terrakion is truly an MVP.

Conkeldurr (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Guts
EVs: 4 Spd / 252 Atk / 252 HP
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Payback

Conkelldur is really Terrakion's antithesis, despite their superficial similarities. Terrakion's job is to come in and be immidiately threatening. Conkelldur's job is much more complicated. It entails slowly boosting, absorbing status, revenge killing, checking Excadrill, tanking physical hits, and luring out Gliscor, among others.
Despite all it has to do, Conkelldur is great. I almost always win stall wars with other Conkelldur (the key is to keep on Bulking Up), and Conkelldur's Mach Punch is immidiately threatening even after going up a mere plus one. Drain Punch keeps it healthy while dealing a lot of damage, and payback is decent coverage that works well in conjunction with Conkelldur's lackluster speed.
Conkelldur is very, very good, but I would not be above a replacement.

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Nothing quite screams "BAN ME" like Thundurus. With three viable sets, all of which must be countered differently, great speed, access to the best possible boosting move it could ask for, and one of the best abilities in the game, Thundurus is borderline Uber at first glance.
That said, it is currently comfortable residing in OU, and is not even one of the most highly used. This is for good reason. Thundurus has lackluster coverage to say the least, and it has truly pitiful defenses. Although Thundurus has a few different sets, all of them can be countered by any stall team worth its name. It also has to deal with being slowly worn down by priority and life orb damage.
That said, once I get up a NP, the opponent should be sweating. Almost nothing can comfortably switch into this set. After two NP's, even Blissey will not relish switching into my Focus Blast. Thundurus is particularly threatening to a team that relies on powerful sweepers with average to low speed, as it can easily outspeed and OHKO all of these.
Thundurus is the epitome of boosting power, but its frailty and wallability makes it replaceable if needed.

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam/Trick/Hidden Power Fire

Latios appears on 9 in 10 of my teams, and for good reason. Nothing in the current metagame is quite as much of a middle finger to the opponent then mauling with Specs STAB Draco Meteor. Decent coverage, absurd power, and the ability to outspeed most non Scarfers makes Latios great for ripping holes in the opponent's team and forcing switches. It also has decent enough special bulk to switch in multiple times.
The only thing really bothering me is the final move-slot. I currently run Ice Beam to get the clear OHKO on all varieties of Gliscor, as well as to more adequately handle Dragonite, but I ran a Latios with Trick on a different team and that worked pretty well. I also am considering running Hidden Power Fire to hit all those pesky steel types trying to switch in off my Draco Meteor.

Krookodile (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

Last and yeah, kind of least, we have Krookodile.
Now, don't get me wrong. Krookodile is certainly not a weak link. It holds its own. Choice Scarf/Moxie is a combination built in heaven late game. Crunch and Earthquake both hit hard, and Stone Edge provides key coverage to hit opposing Thundurus, among other things. Many other people run Dragon Claw/Outrage/Elemental Fang in the last slot, but I prefer Pursuit to nail Lati@s and kill retreating Pokes.
That said, 92 base speed just isn't all that great, and it leaves me susceptible to a whole host of Dragon Dancers out there. While 117 Attack is excellent, Krookodile is not holding an Attack boosting item, and has lower natural power than most of my other Pokemon, which means that it'll be walled and taken advantage of by a clever opponent.
Then again, Krookodile's biggest advantage is the ability to be unpredictable. Most opponents have never seen the thing in action before. The few that have expect the Bulk Up variety. They don't expect to be outsped and KO'd, or Pursuit baited. While you may call this set outclassed by Tyranitar, Krookodile's natural speed and surprise factor makes it an equally viable choice.
Overall, I'm very satisfied with Krookodile, but I would not be above a replacement.

Final Thoughts

Whew! Well, that was my RMT! Please take the time to help me out, I promise ANYTHING you suggest will be thoroughly tested. Thank You.

Importable

Supress (Jellicent) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Surf
- Recover

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Prankster
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Conkeldurr (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Guts
EVs: 4 Spd / 252 HP / 252 Atk
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Payback

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Trait: Justified
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- X-Scissor
- Earthquake

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam

Krookodile (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Sun teams will shit on you for a couple of reasons. First, you have no way to change the weather, and second, nothing on your team can stand an assault from the Clorophyll sweepers. Hell even Volcarona if its the Morning Sun variant will give you trouble, as Terrakion can only last so long until layers + constant switching into boosted Fire Moves take their toll. The main problem here, however, is Venusaur (Sawsbuck too but you at least have Conkeldurr). Hell if Venusaur has Sleep Powder you may as well give up instantly as theres no way you will be able to beat it. Latios is a good answer to it, but if its Growth + HP Ice, or like I said, Sleep Powder, you wont be able to do anything. The best way to deal with this is probably by adding something like Blissey, but your team doesnt appreciate how slow it will make you. So youll need an offensive Pokemon that can deal with Venusaur. First thing that comes to mind is Heatran, good offensive Pokemon that also gives you the much needed Stealth Rock. This will also help you a lot with Jirachi and Skarmory. The hard part is where to fit it, id think over Krookodile works, mainly for one reason, which is that Choice Scarf users arent that good anymore, with Excadrill around and all that shit. Especially not ones like Krookodile, that get walled to hell and back by Skarmory, Gliscor, Rotom, etc., of which youll see one every single time you play. Heatran could do well over it with like Will-O-Wisp and Stealth Rock. WoW can lure in Dragonites and fuck them up real bad, but you can also run something like Roar in case a CM Jirachi or Latias is giving you problems.

Dont run Ice Beam on Latios, thats a biiig waste. Run Trick, way better than Ice Beam as it gives you a way to fuck key counters to things on your team. Tricking it to a say, defensive Jirachi, will let your Thundurus sweep easily.

Latios should take down Blissey and Jirachi, or at least cripple those badly, so why not run something like Lum Berry or Leftovers on Thundurus? You wont need the extra power from Life Orb if your main threats are down, and considering you have Trick on Latios for Jirachi and PsyShock for Blissey, the Life Orb will more often than not drag you down on a sweep. Lum Berry lets you set up a Nasty Plot on something like a defensive Rotom-W trying to T-Wave you, or a defensive Celebi, or many of the other T-Wavers like Jirachi itself. Leftovers gives you a shitload of durability. A lot of the time people counter Thundurus by switching on its attacks back and forth, letting SandStorm + Life Orb kill it slowly, but with Leftovers your opponent wont be able to do that, considering youre not losing any health per turn.

Solid team, not much to change really.

SuperKnuckles

I like the team, Lookss hard but you should bring a steel type pkmns for dragon moves. Double Dragon Stragety is used in these days so much.

-I think ScarfMence + ScarfHaxorus + SR can beat your entire team so :) Check how you can put some steel in there.
-Use Hp Fire on Latios Instead of Ice beam.
-I perfer to use 252hp & 252SpDef on Conckeldurr, you have Bulk Up.

Hope I've helped you

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hey,

Since you carry no weather changer, you will generally struggle against sun and rain. Jellicent, your main weather counter, is taken down by Thunders in the rain while its main STAB attack is weakened in the sun. Growth Venusaur and Scarf Darmanitan in particular are very threatening. Nothing on your team can outspeed Venusaur and take its attacks at +2, while Darmanitan simply rips through your team with boosted Flare Blitz's. So, I'd recommend using replacing your Krookodile with a Scarf Tyranitar. Tyranitar summons sandstorm upon entry, which provides your team with an insurance against opposing weather. It is an excellent check to common rain sweepers such as Thundurus, Tornadus and Starmie, but be careful of switching into Focus Blasts/Hydro Pumps. Venusaur and Darmanitan are both quite easily revenge killed. Sun should not cause even the slightest bit of trouble, with Ninetales being completely dominated by Tyranitar. Make sure not to lead with Tyranitar against sun, since this would give your scarf away. Tyranitar also forms an excellent offensive duo with Terrakion. Terrakion is able to lure in common switch-ins to Scarftar like Skarmory and Gliscor, and take them out. This opens up a path for Tyranitar to sweep. You are still able to trap and KO the likes of Latios, but Tyranitar's immense special bulk means that you can actually afford to mispredict, unlike with Krookodile. A moveset of Stone Edge | Crunch | Pursuit | Superpower/Ice Punch works well, with EVs of 252 Atk | 252 Speed | 4 HP and a Jolly nature.

Replace Life Orb on Thundurus with a Lum Berry. Thundurus doesn't really need the extra power, and Lum ensures that status will not stop Thundurus' rampage. It's especially useful against specially defensive Jirachi and Blissey, two of Thundurus' common checks.

Conkeldurr is actually not that reliable a check to Excadrill and Terrakion, since Mach Punch fails to OHKO while both of them OHKO back with boosted STAB moves. Both of them then proceed to 6-0 you, Terrakion after getting an RP in, which it can easily get from your choiced Pokemon. So, I suggest replacing Conkeldurr with a defensive Gliscor. Gliscor provides you with a 100% counter to both Excadrill and Terrakion, an absolute nuisance towards stall, and a status absorber. Gliscor is able to defeat almost any physical sweeper through its immense defense and Poison Heal. It also allows you to retain the electric immunity that you lost from Krookodile. Use the standard set of Earthquake | Ice Fang | Protect | Swords Dance, and EVs of 252 HP | 176 Def | 80 Speed, which ensures you outspeed and 2HKO most opposing Gliscor after an SD.

Lastly, you lack any form of entry hazards. Although they aren't necessary, they help immensely against sun and rain teams alike, and the fact that you already pack a spin blocker makes it very easy for your team to accommodate. So, I would recommend replacing one of Latios or Thundurus for a Ferrothorn. Ferrothorn has incredible synergy with Jellicent, and is able to set up both Spikes and Stealth Rock. Ferrothorn gives you a very important Dragon resist, which is almost necessary these days with the rise of CB Haxorus and Specs Latios. It provides your team with paralysis support, a second Excadrill check, a another counter to rain. Latios is the more replaceable Pokemon since you already have Terrakion to blow holes through teams, while Thundurus makes such an excellent late-game sweeper that I wouldn't recommend replacing it. Ferrothorn and Latios also carry similar resists between them barring Fire and Fighting, which are not problematic attacking types for your team anyway. Run a moveset of Power Whip | Thunder Wave | Spikes | Stealth Rock, with EVs of 252 HP | 48 Def | 108 SDef and a Relaxed nature. Good luck!

This team seems sorta ice-weak, what with only Jellicent to absorb ice moves for 3 pokemon. One thing you could do would be to use more SDef on Conkeldurr to take random Ice Beams and get rid of pokemon like Abomasnow and Vaporeon.

I'm currently testing out Specially defensive Tyranitar over Jellicent and Scarf Landorus over Krookodile. I'll then try replacing Landorus with Heatran.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)