The VoltTurners and Company (feat. Mega Lucario)

This is my second RMT and my first Gen 6 team. The team features a solid offensive VoltTurn core featuring Landorus-T, Genesect, and Rotom-Wash. The other members of the team are Excadrill, Azumarill, and my boy Mega-Lucario. The team uses speedy U-Turns ands powerful Volt Switches to wear down my opponents and maintain momentum until I open up an opportunity to sweep with my Lucario. The main issues my team has are against users of Will-o-wisp, as nobody on my team enjoys getting burned after I lose my Rotom-Wash. Perhaps a Guts Conkeldurr is in order? This team's winning record is roughly 80% on PS. However, this record could be improved relatively easily with some team tinkering and with me getting more familiar with the new OU metagame, remembering what still resists what, learning what knew moves Pokemon got, and figuring out what these new Pokemon do. Without further adieu, allow me to jump right in!

Landorus-T(Landon Donovan) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs:252 HP 252 Atk/ 4 Spd
Nature: Adamant
-Earthquake
-U-turn
-Stone Edge
-Stealth Rock

Lando is the glue that holds my team together. It can do a multitude of things, including scouting with U-Turn, coming to intimidate scary physical sweepers, acting as a bulky pivot, and wall breaking with its devastating power. I usually lead with him right off the bat to gain momentum with a U-Turn, and to lower the attack of a Pokemon right away. Also, EdgeQuake provides good coverage along with U-Turn. Any remaining Pokemon that can still wall me have to beware of a U-Turn coming their way and counter coming in.

Genesect(Honda Civic)@ Choice Scarf
Trait:Download
EVs:4 Atk / 252 Sp Atk/ 252 Spd
Nature:Naive
-U-turn
-Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower
-Ice Beam

Genesect is my second U-Turner and is usually used in a one two punch with Lando. I usually go into Genesect after weakening something with a U-Turn from Landorus and finish off with another U-Turn or the appropriate coverage move. Genesect is very hard to counter as it has perfect coverage and can simply U-Turn out on the expected switch.

Rotom-Wash (Scrotum-Wash)@ Chesto Berry
Trait:Levitate
EVs:232 HP/ 56 S Atk/ 220 Def
Nature: Modest
-Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Will-o-wisp
-Rest

Rotom is one of the most used OU pokes for a good reason. It has good bulk and special attack, great typing and coverage, and completes the VoltTurn core of my team as a bulky pivot while having excellent synergy with the rest of my team. Its Water/Electric typing and its ability grant it only one weakness in grass and a multitude of useful resistances and an immunity. Rest is for status absorption and recovery, greatly prolonging Rotom's lifespan.

Excadrill(EarthShaker)@ Assault Vest
Trait:Mold Breaker
EVs:252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 Spd

-Iron Head
-Rapid Spin
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide

Excadrill is my spinner, making it an invaluable team player. Its massive base 135 attack is fully invested, and its high 110 HP is also maxed out to make it reasonably bulky. It is also capable of firing off incredibly powerful STAB Earthquakes and Iron Heads.

Azumarill(She works out) @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Huge Power
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spd
Nature: Jolly

-Belly Drum
-Aqua Jet
-Waterfall
-Play Rough

Standing in at a whopping 2 foot 7 and weighing a mind-blowing 62.8 pounds, Azumarill is my main wall breaker that can spam super powerful attacks at whatever dares to come in. A Jolly Belly Drum set is being run at the moment over the original bulky band set because Azumarill causes so many switches and with some prediction, if a BD is set up, she can plow through entire teams with aqua jet. Max speed is to outspend Defensive Rotom and OHKO it with Play Rough.

Mega-Lucario(Straight Fistin')@Lucarionite
Trait:Adaptability
EVs:4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spd

-Bullet Punch
-Close Combat
-Crunch/Ice Punch
-Swords Dance

Finally, I present to you one of my favorite megas. It has the perfect stats and ability for a sweeper, and can run both a special and physical set that will keep the opponent guessing until I reveal my moves to them. Adaptability Bullet Punch's power rivals that of Technician Scizor, a testament to Mega-Lucario's power. If I get a SD up, it almost always gg.
Bullet Punch is good priority, and CC is a massive base 240 attack, while Crunch is run for ghosts and Chandelure in general, who would completely wall me without it. However Ice Punch hits flying types and dragons for super effective damage, so I am having a massive internal struggle to decide what to run.

Well, that concludes my first Gen 6 RMT. Thanks for (hopefully) reading the whole thing, I hope it wasn't too boring and that you feel compelled to rate the team. I am open to any suggestions but would like to the VoltTurn strategy going and I would like keep my Lucario. Give constructive criticism as harshly as you would like. Thanks again and Happy Rating!

Last edited:

Srn

The Monstrous Bird of New England
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
This is a pretty cool standard team focused around a volt-turn core, very effective at opening up holes for sweepers. kudos to you for using such an effective build, albeit common.
But I see some weird builds in there that are making this team a little ineffective.
One thing I would question is the landorus-t. Why make it scarf? You may not realize it, and most people don't, but a slower pivot is better. You get to scout whether your opponent will pivot, switch, attack, or whatever, and you can respond accordingly. With a fast pivot, your opponent can do the same thing to you, which turns your strategy on its head. Thus, I would recommend a defensive lando-t. This would allow for a slow u-turn, as well as getting a more solid check to mega-kang and talonflame (you don't need to be too worried about mega kang with lucario around though.)
Likewise, making your rotom-w the defensive build helps, and thus I'd recommend a Chesto-rest Rotom-w. This would give you a status absorber and an even more solid check to common physical attackers. A combo of slow pivots like these guys will prove much more effective.
For excadrill, if you want to go bulky, I'd recommend an assault vest excadrill. As far as defensive excadrill go, this is much better than leftovers. You could move your SR to landorus-t, and you can still rapid spin as it's an attack. You can replace stealth rock with Iron Head, introducing an extra fairy killer should bullet punch not cut it.
Lastly, I'd recommend switching around ice punch on azumarill for Knock off. What this guy does is lure in defensive rotom-w and smack their item down, crippling them and letting lucario have an easier time with them all around. It's a pretty cool option, and I don't see ice punch doing much to be honest.
This is a cool team, good luck with it!

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 98 Spd / 156 HP
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
IVs: null Atk / 30 Spd
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

p.s. I put 30 ivs on rotom-w so it can outslow ones with 31 ivs and no investment.

This is a pretty cool standard team focused around a volt-turn core, very effective at opening up holes for sweepers. kudos to you for using such an effective build, albeit common.
But I see some weird builds in there that are making this team a little ineffective.
One thing I would question is the landorus-t. Why make it scarf? You may not realize it, and most people don't, but a slower pivot is better. You get to scout whether your opponent will pivot, switch, attack, or whatever, and you can respond accordingly. With a fast pivot, your opponent can do the same thing to you, which turns your strategy on its head. Thus, I would recommend a defensive lando-t. This would allow for a slow u-turn, as well as getting a more solid check to mega-kang and talonflame (you don't need to be too worried about mega kang with lucario around though.)
Likewise, making your rotom-w the defensive build helps, and thus I'd recommend a Chesto-rest Rotom-w. This would give you a status absorber and an even more solid check to common physical attackers. A combo of slow pivots like these guys will prove much more effective.
For excadrill, if you want to go bulky, I'd recommend an assault vest excadrill. As far as defensive excadrill go, this is much better than leftovers. You could move your SR to landorus-t, and you can still rapid spin as it's an attack. You can replace stealth rock with Iron Head, introducing an extra fairy killer should bullet punch not cut it.
Lastly, I'd recommend switching around ice punch on azumarill for Knock off. What this guy does is lure in defensive rotom-w and smack their item down, crippling them and letting lucario have an easier time with them all around. It's a pretty cool option, and I don't see ice punch doing much to be honest.
This is a cool team, good luck with it!

EVs: 252 Atk / 98 Spd / 156 HP
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Bold Nature
IVs: null Atk / 30 Spd
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

p.s. I put 30 ivs on rotom-w so it can outslow ones with 31 ivs and no investment.
First of all, thanks for the rate. I found it very useful. I'm liking the Rotom a lot, and will definitely give it a shot. However, scarfed Landorus is one of my best Pokemon, maybe not as a pivot, but more as a scouting lead and a momentum gainer. Also, I find that iron head is not needed on my Excadrill due to the fact that my Azumarill can beat many fairies with its powerful STABs. Knock off also seems interesting, but I don't know if it will fit on a banded Azumarill. I'll definitely try the assault vest though. I almost forgot it existed. Thanks again!

If you're going to run Assault Vest on Excadrill, then you'll need to change Stealth Rock to another attack move, as Assault Vest only lets you use attack moves.

Concerning the team itself, I'm not certain you want two scarfers. Sometimes you want a U-Turn to go after the opposing poke so you get a free switch in. If you're sold on using Assault Vest on the Excadrill, you can switch your Land-T to something akin to what's below, so you still have SR, you have a slower U-Turn, and Excadrill can keep its Vest.

EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Also, if you switch SR off of Excadrill, you might consider either Poison Jab or Shadow Claw as its replacement.

As above is said, you shouldn't have stealth rock as assault vest only allows attacking moves, so I would try to have iron claw (attacks and raises atk) or Drill run.

If you're going to run Assault Vest on Excadrill, then you'll need to change Stealth Rock to another attack move, as Assault Vest only lets you use attack moves.

Concerning the team itself, I'm not certain you want two scarfers. Sometimes you want a U-Turn to go after the opposing poke so you get a free switch in. If you're sold on using Assault Vest on the Excadrill, you can switch your Land-T to something akin to what's below, so you still have SR, you have a slower U-Turn, and Excadrill can keep its Vest.

EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Also, if you switch SR off of Excadrill, you might consider either Poison Jab or Shadow Claw as its replacement.
Thanks for the rate! I forgot to change Excadrill's move set after switching to assault vest. I am also considering using the Landorus you mentioned.

This team is... extremely similar to the one I posted and I like to think that's fairly solid so... great job, high fives all round. Since I'm familiar with how this team should play, I'll give you my best shot at a rate. Essentially similar to my team, your team seems to revolve around utilising a Volt-Turn core to keep momentum while chipping away at the opponents HP until you can clear the way for a Mega-Lucario sweep. Azumarill is there to provide some wall breaking power and Excadrill provides a way to remove hazards while retaining offensive momentum. It's a solid strategy and hopefully some of my suggestions will help consolidate and make you more efficient.

Firstly, I feel like you need to firmly draw a line between your offensive and defensive threats. Lando-T boasts a solid base 145 Atk which is considerably powerful even with no investment, in addition Intimidate gives it fantastic physical bulk and it's a premiere pivot in the OU metagame. Its base 91 speed is fantastic for a pivot but ill suited for a purely offensive role, as such, I'd suggest running an Offensive Pivot Landorus-T, this demarcates Lando-T as a defensive threat that still maintains an offensive presence. I would also consider swapping Stealth Rock for Knock off which provides you with the means to force a huge cost to any defensive pokemon looking to switch into Landorus-T.

Of course SR is a pretty essential part to any Volt-Turn team (you force a lot of switches), so I would suggest replacing Iron Head on your Excadrill with Stealth Rock. This also has the effect of firmly establishing Excadrill's role as an offensive support mon. This of course mandates the removal of Assault Vest, and I would suggest replacing it with an Air Balloon to give you more switch in opportunities. Since you won't be utilising the Assault Vest, I'd suggest shifting your EVs from HP into Speed instead, to outspeed the likes of for instance, Rotom-W before it can get off a burn.

In addition, I suggest running Physically Defensive Rotom-W, offensive variants just don't cut it in the physically oriented metagame we found ourselves in and the added bulk gives you both a secondary counter to Talonflame and the ability to take on a myriad of physical threats. Whether you use ChestoRest or LeftoverPainSplit is up to you, but I'll recommend ChestoRest since it seems to widely be regarded as the better set and can act as a status absorber for you. These changes give a move defensive tilt to your Volt-Turn core, giving them more freedom to switch in and out while still maintaining offensive value.

For your Azumarill, I'd suggest running Superpower over Ice Punch. Ice punch is redundant coverage in the face of Waterfall/Aqua Jet (hits Lando-T and Gliscor just fine) and Play Rough (Hits the dragons) and the ability to hit through Ferrothorn is invaluable. I'd also recommend shifting a little bit of Bulk into Speed. 48 Speed EVs allows you to speed creep Blissey and KO it before it can do something nasty like Toxic you without compromising your survivability.

With so many members of your team able to take on Special Walls and break them, I'd suggest running Special Lucario over Physical Lucario to take advantage of the holes you'll undoubtedly leave in the opposing team. Special Lucario is very viable with its new Speed tier meaning it can get away without using Priority, however Vacuum wave is still a viable option if you'd like the extra security at the cost of being unable to hit Togekiss/the other fairies as hard.

Hope that helps, good luck with your team!

EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry/Leftovers
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest/Pain Split

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 SDef / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball
- Aura Sphere
- Flash Cannon/Vacuum Wave

Last edited:
Thanks for the rate! I'll try superpower over ice punch for sure on my Azumarill, but outspeeding blissey just to avoid toxic while losing some bulk does not seem necessary in my opinion.
As for stealth rock on Excadrill, I gave it a try and ran a scarfed Landorus, but found that the added special bulk on Excadrill to be more helpful. Knock off seems unecessary due to the wall breaking power of my team over defensive threats, I'll also try my luck with a special Lucario and see how it goes. Thanks again for the feedback and the helpful rate.

Thanks for the rate! I'll try superpower over ice punch for sure on my Azumarill, but outspeeding blissey just to avoid toxic while losing some bulk does not seem necessary in my opinion.
As for stealth rock on Excadrill, I gave it a try and ran a scarfed Landorus, but found that the added special bulk on Excadrill to be more helpful. Knock off seems unecessary due to the wall breaking power of my team over defensive threats, I'll also try my luck with a special Lucario and see how it goes. Thanks again for the feedback and the helpful rate.
No problem. You're free to take my advice as you see fit, but I'll try and explain my rationale a bit more clearly to give you some perspective.

Firstly, regarding Azumarill, 48 EVs out of HP, translates to 12 HP in actual play, not enough to affect your bulk significantly at all. I'll admit that it's definitely just a preference thing, but if you're worried about Azumarill's survivability, don't be. Regarding Knock off and the SR switch on Lando-T, again it's a matter of preference, but I'm a firm believer that Knock off has many uses. Consider for instance, the following mons that are commonly switched into Lando-T: Jellicent, Trevenant, Rotom-W, Gliscor. Without knock off, your best option is to predict the switch and U-turn to gain momentum. However with knock off, you can severely cripple these switch ins for very little cost. Trevenant without Sitrus/Lum Berry and Gliscor without Toxic Orb (before activation anyway) are no threat at all and Excadrill is a perfectly viable SR setter in its own right. Moreover, once you've revealed Knock off, your opponent is now under immense pressure in deciding switch-ins for Lando-T as literally nothing likes having its item knocked off.

Again, obviously make your own choices, I'm just giving you the information which you need to make an informed decision.

One thing tat could fix your problem with WoW would be to change lucario into a special attacker, It still has very viable stats and a great movepool, Anotherthing i would suggest since you run volt turn, which opens up very good opportunities for boosting, maybe you can think about running bellydrum on azumaril, Once it gets a belly drum in aqua jet tears through everything that does not resist it and it can be a great sweeper.

One thing tat could fix your problem with WoW would be to change lucario into a special attacker, It still has very viable stats and a great movepool, Anotherthing i would suggest since you run volt turn, which opens up very good opportunities for boosting, maybe you can think about running bellydrum on azumaril, Once it gets a belly drum in aqua jet tears through everything that does not resist it and it can be a great sweeper.
First of all,thanks for the suggestions. I am actually trying out the special Lucario, but have found it less effective overall than physical Lucario. Its lack of special priority that can touch ghost types and it's weaker stab make it a slightly inferior Pokemon to physical Lucario. The Belly Drum Azumarill sounds promising though, but is really high risk vs reward. I'll also give it a try, but banded Azumarill almost never let's me down. My problems with Will-o-wisp were lessened slightly with the addition of a bulkier ChestoRest Rotom-wash over an offensive one. Your ideas were greatly appreciated!

Hi everyone! I have decided to use a belly drum Azumarill over the banded one. I've been seeing these all over the place and when it gets a BD up it's basically gg.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Huge Power
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spd

-Belly Drum
-Aqua Jet
-Waterfall
-Play Rough

Last edited:
ASSAULT VEST EXCADRILL?!?! Well, that's quite surprising as excadrill isn't very bulky. 110/60/65 defenses just aren't that great. hp is definitly good though. maybe
Excadrill@ Leftovers

-Iron Head
-Rapid Spin
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock

ASSAULT VEST EXCADRILL?!?! Well, that's quite surprising as excadrill isn't very bulky. 110/60/65 defenses just aren't that great. hp is definitly good though. maybe
Excadrill@ Leftovers

-Iron Head
-Rapid Spin
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock
I appreciate you taking the time to give me advice, but the set you mentioned above wash very similar to the one I originally used, but found that it could not take hits well enough for leftovers to be useful. Assault Vest Excadrill is still
bulkier than leftovers Excadrill, and what good is recovering 1/16 of your health when you get raped by a strong attack? Assault Vest allows Excadrill to be bulkier specially than a physically defensive Rotom Wash, than an uninvested special defense stat of 249 while compared to Rotom's uninvested 250, all the while with Excadrill having 120 more hit points.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)