Other Metagames The Wall, a Monotype RMT

The Wall

Introduction
Hey! This is Thimo, a well known player in the Monotype Community, with a Rate My Team. I've decided to make a Rate My Team, because after 16 months of tweaking this Stall Water team the entire time, I think I have gotten to my final version of this. So let's get started with the Rate My Team! :)

How it all started

These are the original 6 Pokémon I started with. I remember it like it was yesterday, 31st of January 2015. It changed quite quickly however. Because Greninja was likely to get banned at the time I built it, I decided I had to replace it.

These are the 6 Pokémon everyone sees in their head when they hear "Stall Water". The team didn't have a lot of changes in the picks of Pokémon. The movesets have underwent quite some changes however. I will show you each Pokémon in detail further ahead, along with their history in the team.​

The Team

Alomomola (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Def / 192 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Wish
- Protect
- Mirror Coat

Alomomola, one of the four must-haves of a Stall Water team. The mixed wall and Wish passer of pretty much any Stall Water team. Wish and Protect are a necessity on any Alomomola set, the other 2 slots are filled with any combination of Scald, Mirror Coat and Toxic. Wish keeps the team alive, because 4 Pokémon on my team lack proper recovery. Protect helps with Hi Jump Kick and getting the Wish off. It also stalls a Burn or Bad Poison, which is nice. Scald is one of the best moves in the game, the 30% burn chance is the only reason I run it on everything on this team. Mirror Coat returns special hits back with twice the damage, really useful with that amazing HP stat. I started out with Scald and Toxic, but I soon changed Toxic to Mirror Coat so it can beat some threats such as Mega Charizard Y, Meloetta and Mega Venusaur. The spread I used a lot in the past was 104 HP / 248 Def / 156 SpD with a Bold Nature. This allowed me to Mirror Coat a Mega Venusaur's Giga Drain after Stealth Rock damage. [252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 104 HP / 156 SpD Alomomola: 368-434 (74 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock] But as time went by, I started to realise I needed a bit more Special Defense. I was losing to certain threats, and I needed a bit more special bulk. Here is when I changed the EV spread. 64 HP / 252 Def / 192 SpD with a Bold Nature. This allowed me to Tank Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam a 100% of the time. [252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 64 HP / 192 SpD Alomomola: 412-486 (84.5 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO] On both spreads I had alot of EVs in Defense, because that's what it does best, physical walling.

Azumarill (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 108 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Perish Song
- Rest
- Toxic
- Scald

Azumarill, my primary Grass check. This is the second must-have of Stall Water. Without it you would lose to any Grass type. Breloom, Ferrothorn, Serperior and the list goes on and on. I have had 5 different moves on Azumarill, Scald and Toxic have always been on there. Then just like Alomomola I had 3 moves in the last 2 spots. This time however I couldn't decide which 2 would be best. Perish Song, Protect and Rest. These three are equally useful in my opinion. Perish Song helps forcing out Calm Mind Keldeo and other Pokémon like that and helps killing their last Pokémon with ease. Protect helps with stalling turns when the opponent is Burned or Badly Poisoned. and Rest recovers Status and HP on Azumarill. It really appreciates that recovery against Grass but it's kinda useless against many other Types. Scald helps against Pokémon like Ferrothorn, which is by the way also the reason I run 0 Speed IVs with a Relaxed Nature. It drastically lowers the Gyro Ball damage, and I don't really need Speed for anything else. Azumarill is also a nice Dragon check, which is always useful. Now we talk about EVs. The very first spread I have used, was 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD with a Sassy Nature. I never really knew what it did, because I took the spread off usage statistics and it seemed kind of nice. However, never ever under any circumstance use this spread, I'll explain. About half a year later I realised the spread could be improved by some bit. 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD with a Relaxed Nature. It gave the exact same stats, but with an extra 2 points in Defense. It wasn't much, but any bit helped. About 3 months ago, I wanted to make an actual spread. Not one I didn't know the use of. This made me create the current spread. 248 HP / 152 Def / 108 SpD with a Relaxed Nature. This prevented a 2HKO from a +2 Breloom with Rock Tomb after Leftovers recovery. [+2 252 Atk Technician Breloom Rock Tomb vs. 248 HP / 156+ Def Azumarill: 180-212 (44.6 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery] This also made my Azumarill much better against Mega Heracross. [252 Atk Mega Heracross Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 156+ Def Azumarill: 170-200 (42.1 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO] The rest I dumped into Special Defense, because I wanted to keep some special bulk for Mega Charizard Y.

Lanturn (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 104 HP / 152 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Heal Bell
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect

Lanturn, the Electric Check and Cleric. The third must-have of Stall Water. You will need this for stuff such as Mega Pidgeot, Tornadus and almost every Electric Type Pokémon. The moveset is a bit standard, but as you may have noted that Lanturn has Protect. I used to have Volt Switch there, but I didn't have much use of the move. I felt like using Protect, because Mega Medicham can come in on Lanturn if something died. Nobody expects Protect on Lanturn, so that's a free 50% of damage on Mega Medicham. Protect also helps stalling a Burn or Bad Poison. Before I had Toxic, I had Thunder Wave. However, don't use it because it sucks on stall. I changed it to Toxic even before I changed Greninja to Empoleon. The EVs of Lanturn used to be the standard 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SpD spread with a Calm Nature. Although the spread in particular isn't bad, I didn't see Lanturn go in on many physical attackers. I decided it needed more special bulk for stuff like Grass Knot Thundurus. The HP EVs lets it hit a Leftover number +1, just like 40 HP EVs do. I did keep some EVs in Defense still, just in case I need to use Heal Bell against a physical attacker.

Tentacruel (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 240 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Acid Spray
- Toxic Spikes

Tentacruel, my primairy Mega Venusaur, Mega Charizard Y, Clefable check and Rapid Spin user. This Pokémon helps alot against Fairy, Dark, Fire, Fighting and Grass Teams and has no particular bad matchup other than Ground, which is already really hard. This set is really standard however there are a few things that are different. As you may see I'm using Leftovers over Black Sludge, this is because I don't like Pokémon using Trick or Switcheroo on it and then using it on something else. Then there are these 20 Speed EVs. They let me outspeed Pokémon that are speedcreeping Bisharp. The rest of the EVs are put into Special Defense. Other spreads I have used are 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD with a Calm Nature. This spread came just like Azumarill's old spread from usage statistics. I have used a 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe with a Calm Nature before, but the extra Speed EVs are important. I have also tried a Rest, Sleep Talk set and it's not bad, but you will have to use Defog on Empoleon.

Quagsire (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Recover
- Counter
- Scald
- Earthquake

Quagsire, the fourth must-have in my opinion. That's because it checks setup sweepers so well. From Bisharp to Slurpuff. This also is my secondary Electric Check, this Pokémon switches into Luxray and Electivire much easier than Lanturn. Without Quagsire, Stall Water would've been really hard to pull off. I used to have Toxic on it, but I'm using Counter over it nowadays, because it takes down some stuff way easier. A few examples are Mega Medicham, Mega Pinsir and Diggersby. Toxic was not bad, but I already had so much of it on my team. Earthquake is a nice coverage move that helps against the Steel, Poison and Fire Matchup, but I have used Toxic over it before and it's something you might want to try yourself, because it isn't bad at all. Its spread is full Defense, so it can take on most physically based setup sweepers with ease. I changed his spread a little, so he has 4 Speed over Special Defense now. This is so I can win possibly crucial Quagsire speedties.

Empoleon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Empoleon, last but definitly not least. This Pokémon underwent alot of changes, and I like toying with him. As some of you may know, I have used Rock Tomb, Mud Sport, even Hydro Pump! I like him alot on Stall Water and for a good reason, Stealth Rock. Stealth Rock pressures offensive teams that have to switch quite alot. This limits their switches most of the time and can lure in their hazard remover. It also has access to Roar, a phazing move. This can help rack up hazard damage on Pokémon that the opponent doesn't want to bring in yet. It also removes stat boosts on Pokémon that are potential threats. I used to use Rock Tomb for Articuno and Zapdos. But I soon realised Toxic on that slot will be a lot better. I have also used Mud Sport for some time. This turned Empoleon in a Zapdos Counter. However, I think Roar will be the better option as it covers much more. I have also used Hydro Pump for a brief moment in time, just for Gliscor. Scald is much better and there's absolutely no other reason to use it over Scald. Currently I'm using a 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe spread with a Calm Nature. This maximizes its Special Defense. The 4 Speed are used for speedties, just like Quagsire. For those who are interested in the spread I used when I was using Rock Tomb and Hydro Pump, 144 HP / 252 SpD / 112 Spe with a Sassy Nature. This allowed me to outspeed Zapdos at -1 and Gliscor could hit me into Torrent with 1 Earthquake a 100% of the time, letting Hydro Pump OHKO back. You could use it, but I don't recommend it.

Threats
Wallbreakers

Status Immunity

Rest Users

Grass/Electric Coverage

Others

Import
Alomomola (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Def / 192 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Wish
- Protect
- Mirror Coat

Azumarill (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 108 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Protect
- Rest
- Toxic
- Scald

Lanturn (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 104 HP / 152 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Heal Bell
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect

Tentacruel (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 240 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Acid Spray
- Toxic Spikes

Quagsire (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Recover
- Counter
- Scald
- Earthquake

Empoleon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Shoutouts
TheThorn - Good friend, always having a good time with you
Ridley. - Another good friend and always up for some fun
Ashaury - ¡Que es mi esé!
Zangooser - Esteemed Global Voice and friend
HunterStorm - Cool AG friend
rnbs - Alcohol Killing Machine!​

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey dude this is like one of the best mono teams to use (not even fluffing lol). It's very effective because you can have good matchup against a majority of the tier, which is amazing. I really think that Choice Band Excadrill and Landorus-I are huge threats to your team, as you don't have any Ground-type resists. This gives Excadrill and Landorus free chance to spam Earthquake, which pressures your team a lot. Therefore, a cool change would be running Shuca Berry Empoleon, as you don't really need Leftovers because you have Wish Pass from Alomomola as a backup for the team. Excadrill and Landorus would usually try to switch into Empoleon after it beats something or by predicting Defog (which is very realistic), giving you the chance to lure them.

Hope this change helps! :toast:

Hey dude this is like one of the best mono teams to use (not even fluffing lol). It's very effective because you can have good matchup against a majority of the tier, which is amazing. I really think that Choice Band Excadrill and Landorus-I are huge threats to your team, as you don't have any Ground-type resists. This gives Excadrill and Landorus free chance to spam Earthquake, which pressures your team a lot. Therefore, a cool change would be running Shuca Berry Empoleon, as you don't really need Leftovers because you have Wish Pass from Alomomola as a backup for the team. Excadrill and Landorus would usually try to switch into Empoleon after it beats something or by predicting Defog (which is very realistic), giving you the chance to lure them.

Hope this change helps! :toast:
Yo, thanks for the rate. Shuca Empoleon sounds interesting, but I don't wanna rely on Wish for recovery against other matchups such as Articuno and Sableye-Mega. I will give it a shot however, as you really get to know the pros and cons if you actually try them out. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)