Monotype Titans|Fire Monotype Team

Zar

What a time
is a Contributor Alumnus

Hey guys! I'm Zarif and today I'm sharing my Fire Monotype team that I created back in early 2014. Most of you may know me as room driver in the Monotype room in PS! or for being that one guy who used the same team for 2 and a half years. The team was originally created after the ban of Talonflame from Monotype. I decided I want to try newer stuff and saw that Pokemon like Victini and Entei aren't that common. It instantly came to my mind that I could utilize them in a new way, which you will see later on. Back then, I wasn't really any good with Fire, but as times changed, I started to improve with this team and got pretty famous for being that one guy who has used the same team for 2 and a half years. This is the team that has stuck with me since mid-XY to late-ORAS and as Sun and Moon is on the verge of coming out, I thought now is the best time to RMT my Fire team.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam

I chose Mega Charizard Y as my Mega Evolution due to its fantastic wallbreaking capabilities and great ability. It drastically improves my match-up against Ground-, Water-, Rock-, Psychic-, Poison-, and Flying-type teams, while not being deadweight against other types. Drought is a huge boost to any Fire type team as it boosts Fire-type moves power into frightening heights. Fire Blast is my main move with Mega Charizard Y as it OHKOs or heavily weakens any Pokemon that tries to switch into it. Roost improves Mega Charizard Y's longevity. Focus Blast is used to hit Heatran, Tyranitar, Cradily, and Politoed if rain is up. Solarbeam is fantastic against all of Fire's weaknesses. It helps Mega Charizard Y battle against other weather setters in sun while also dealing with Gastrodon, Seismitoad, Lanturn, and Azumarill.

Infernape @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- U-turn

Infernape is fantastic for any Fire-type team and this one is no exception. I chose Infernape to work as a wallbreaker by giving it a Choice Band. It is a huge help against Rock- and Normal-type teams. Even against other teams, nothing wants to switch into a Choice Band Close Combat from this thing. Flare Blitz is used to hit Pokemon that resist or are immune to Close Combat, while Close Combat is the main move for Infernape to break or weaken teams. Mach Punch KOs weakened Pokemon although, it is very situational and loses momentum if used mid-game. U-turn lets Infernape pivot and scout what the opponent does.

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Blue Flare
- Bolt Strike
- Psyshock
- Glaciate

The Victini set I'm using is very unique. Although Choice Scarf is a common item on Victini, no one expects it to be special. Victini functions as the late-game cleaner for this team. It definitely helps me against Fighting- and Dragon-type teams. It has a pretty decent Speed stat that is boosted even more from Choice Scarf. Blue Flare is its main attacking move and has a decent chance to burn the opponent. Bolt Strike is mainly to threaten Gyarados although it helps against other Water- and Flying-type Pokemon as well. Psyshock is my go to move against Fighting-type Pokemon such as Keldeo, Breloom, and Heracross. Glaciate drastically improves my chances against Dragon-type teams and Dragonite, Garchomp, and Latios in particular.

Torkoal @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Yawn
- Lava Plume

Hazard control is absolutely crucial on Fire-type teams and Torkoal is definitely one of the more reliable forms of hazard control. It has excellent defense and can even set up its own Stealth Rock to help Victini clean up easier. Rapid Spin clears away entry hazards like Stealth Rock. I put Yawn as my status move to threaten set up sweepers. Lava Plume is Torkoal's only attacking move and has a decent chance to burn.

Entei @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge

When I originally built this team, Entei wasn't a very common Pokemon for Fire-type teams. I wanted to experiment with it and I'm very happy I did. It is a fantastic wallbreaker with a great priority move. Sacred Fire is its main attacking move and has a great chance to burn the foe. Extreme Speed lets Entei pick off weakened foes while Iron Head is fantastic against Fairy- and Rock-type Pokemon. Stone Edge allows Entei to dismantle Flying-type teams.

Rotom-Heat @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Light Screen
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Reflect

Whilst building the team, I realized I needed a Specially Defensive Pokemon. I remembered a cool set my friend BlackJak showed me and it was Dual Screens Rotom-H. It is a fantastic support Pokemon and heavily improves the bulk of a rather frail type. Light Screen improves the Special Defense of itself and its teammates while Reflect improves the Physical Defense. Will-O-Wisp threatens physical attackers that try to come in on Rotom-H. Volt Switch is a great move for pivoting and lets it make full use of its screens.

Terrakion is a huge problem for any Fire-type team. Combined with a Choice Scarf and Stone Edge + Earthquake, it can easily break this team. To deal with it, Infernape must be preserved with full health, as it is the only Pokemon that can live one Stone Edge other than Torkoal. Alternatively, Torkoal can fish for burns with Lava Plume.

Mega Diancie just destroys this team. Not much else to it, it KOs every Pokemon with either Diamond Storm or Earth Power. Victini is the only thing that can outspeed it, but can't do much in return. The only way to beat this is to lead with Entei and pray it doesn't have Protect.

Dragon-types in general give a hard time against this team. Infernape and Victini are the only ones that can really threaten them sadly.

Both regular Gyarados and Mega Gyarados are huge problems for this team. Both of them can easily set up against Torkoal and sweep the team after. Only way to deal with them is to go straight Victini to threaten it.

Thank you for reading this and hope you enjoyed the team!

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam

Infernape @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- U-turn

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- Blue Flare
- Bolt Strike
- Psyshock
- Glaciate

Torkoal @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Yawn
- Lava Plume

Entei @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge

Rotom-Heat @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Light Screen
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Reflect

Last edited:
Looks like a great team! i have one set i would change though

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- Blue Flare
- Bolt Strike
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Steel]

Hidden Power Steel is a great coverage move that solves your problem of getting totally destroyed by Mega Diancie.
Other than that looks solid though 1+

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I've seen a lot of similar teams on the ladder, so it's cool someone decided to share it, even if I'm not sure who actually made the first team.

Have you considered Thunderpunch over Mach Punch on Infernape?

eren

je suis d'ailleurs
zarif defo made this team, hes been using it for over 2 years. he basically made standard fire on his own. mach nape is a must have on this team, especially versus nuisances such as such rak or mega tar at +1. i see no reason to run tpunch on nape honestly since he has scarf tini to revenge +1 regular gyara and mach nape to revenge mega. tpunch would just waste a slot and create even more issues for the team.

Reactions: Zar
I've seen a lot of similar teams on the ladder, so it's cool someone decided to share it, even if I'm not sure who actually made the first team.

Have you considered Thunderpunch over Mach Punch on Infernape?
zarif defo made this team, hes been using it for over 2 years. he basically made standard fire on his own. mach nape is a must have on this team, especially versus nuisances such as such rak or mega tar at +1. i see no reason to run tpunch on nape honestly since he has scarf tini to revenge +1 regular gyara and mach nape to revenge mega. tpunch would just waste a slot and create even more issues for the team.

i think both of u make good points

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Wow, so you are the standard fire team owner.

Anyways nice team man, not much to say but have you considered tailwind on charizard over roost, I mean I know it reduces its longevity, but tailwind on protect from mega diancie won't allow it to spam diamond storm from start of the match and you can obviously revenge it with hp steel on tini(if you consider it) later or maybe run charti berry on entei to counter it, as Sun will give you the necessary power boost on sacred fires making life orb somewhat replaceable(though espeed will be weak af). I know that's kind of situational but that's the best I could arrive to :/. Also maybe energy ball on tini as it makes ground team even more easier as most mons on ground teams are either 4x weak to ice or grass.

So, best of luck and keep making good teams :)

Reactions: Zar

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)