Battle Spot Titleless 1K Post

If you haven't seen me before, I am pretty much the guy who hangs around in Ubers Discord most of the time and annoys everyone else in other servers, particularly the ones related to OU.

I have posted Battle Spot RMT multiple times, but this is probably more special (and hopefully, better) one because I decided to post this team as my thousandth™ post and a platform to justify me tagging millions of people to annoy them. I will say all the corny things at the end and not in the middle of showcasing a team for the sake of visitors who don't care about my 1K speech and just want to see the team itself - this will be painless if you stopped by with an intent to only see what whack team I posted this time. Anyways, hope you enjoy reading. There is a disclaimer for this team, however; I watch tons of high ladder Battle Spot games from various Japanese and Koreans and this team is somewhat of a modified version of some of the teams I have seen.

Every one of these Pokemon has specific memory I had from various cartridge Pokemon games I have played.

Tapu Fini is the first Tapu I have captured in SM playthrough. I simply found the appearance and the background in the battle that gets colored by Misty Surge very elegant. Though it isn't too great in environment like OU, it ended up as one of the glue Pokemon that I use in most of my Battle Spot Singles teams. The number of Pokemon it defensively covers is simply amazing. Tapu Fini also is quite flexible, being able to run sets more than just a defensive variant. It mostly ends up rewarding me even if there are some notable flaws in my teambuilding and thus it easily secured a place in my team that I value the most.

I go play OU rarely, quit, go back, and repeat. Some time ago, Mega Alakazam was apparently one of the best Mega Stone users, but when I recently started lurking around various OU threads again, it became a Pokemon that so many users are concerned about. This reminded me that Battle Spot is another metagame where Mega Mawile can run rampant under appropriate conditions. Offensively, Tapu Fini and Mega Mawile covers each others' checks reasonably well, and I just felt like starting building from something that excels against most of the tier, and most importantly, punish plebs who bring stall with impunity. Mega Mawile is also the very first Mega Stone user that I got to Mega Evolve in ORAS playthrough. Though Rayquaza that could be captured in the Sky Pillar could annihilate pretty much everything that appears in the game afterwards, I felt like using "less brainless" Pokemon that also has technically higher Attack than Mega Rayquaza itself. Post-game playthrough where Mega Mawile OHKOed neutral targets with non-STAB Sucker Punch was very satisfying - more than capturing Primal Groudon.

Greninja gives everyone a hell of an headache when trying to select a trio from the team preview. In the right matchups, Greninja can be an absolute pain in the ass to deal with that 2HKOs the whole trio from the other team. Unpredictability and ability to viably hold various items also contribute to Greninja being an effective anti-offense glue in the team. I can't remember how many games did Greninja was helpful due to how even foes that naturally check Greninja would avoid facing it one on one until there is sufficient information about the moveset and the item it is holding. Though Greninja I am fond with from XY run had torrent, it was still a decent Pokemon to have around in the party. Let's forget how easy is the XY run for now because I am quite nostalgic with some of the Pokemon...

Latias is one of the favorite Pokemon I use in OU and the member that had the highest level when I entered the hall of fame in ORAS for the first time, higher than my starter Pokemon, Blaziken. Latias is something that I forcefully stapled into my team for most of the time back in ORAS - whether it was in OU, Ubers, and Battle Spot Singles. More than anything else, I liked how aesthetically pleasing this Pokemon is.

Thundurus is the Pokemon I used 100+ Quick Balls to catch in the BW run. It was not worth it but it is in my memory by virtue of being an annoyance. Worse than Whitney's Miltank in HGSS.

Mimikyu is a Pokemon that I spend 13 hours trying to find in USM in Thrifty Market after Acerola's trial. I can't remember how many times have I vented about being unable to find this Pokemon. I just wanted a 'safety insurance' Pokemon that will prevent me from getting stomped by out-of-control Pokemon in the nuzlocke run. Another memory I have with Mimikyu is that it is the Pokemon I made the most research about when some dataminers revealed new Pokemon in SM. I found some theories about Mimikyu interesting until today, and my interest was great enough for me to write something long like this.

--
--

With that being enough talk about my personal feelings, I will move on to teambuilding...

As mentioned, these two Pokemon are essentially what I built the team around. Not only do two of these Pokemon offensively threaten majority of the metagame, they all can shine in many matchups. Just by existing, Tapu Fini provides the team with some security against Mega Blaziken and Mega Gyarados and serves as an effective anti-lead for Hippowdon. Mega Mawile gives me auto win against most stall matchups unless I play after having a beer and staying awake for 15+ hours (yes I drink beer as a teen, fight me), provides the team with some countermeasure against Trick Room teams.

+

Around this point any specialized Blaziken set (ones with Thunder Punch or even Grassium Z + Solar Beam) would destroy the two Pokemon I already have, and Mega Venusaur paired with Celesteela became quite problematic as Mega Mawile needs a free switch to reliably break Celesteela. I also felt the need to have a quite strong and decently fast offensive Pokemon and Latias was the fit that dealt with all of these concerns. Switching into Zapdos, dealing with annoying Toxapex and Breloom, and being able to live a hit from Mega Swampert and do something back are other things that Latias can do.

+

The team needed an anti-offense Pokemon that could also effectively lure in some threats that this team struggles to handle properly. With Tapu Fini lacking bulk investment due to it fully dedicating to be a CM sweeper, there was also a need for more security against Dragon- and Ground-types as well. So I tossed Focus Sash to Greninja and made it a mixed attacker to revenge kill something that gets out of hand.

+

Now this team needed something that could prevent Tapu Koko from screwing around as much as it wants by spamming its STAB moves. The team also needed more offensive pressure to keep Tapu Lele down so I immediately stapled in Choice Scarf Thundurus-T that could revenge kill Mega Metagross, threaten Celesteela, check +1 Mega Salamence from full health, and threaten other Tapu's with Sludge Wave.

+

As this team is offensive by nature, it lacked a solid answer against so many other things. I was thinking about putting in Porygon2 but I didn't want it to take momentum away against foes like Snorlax so I put in Mimikyu that can revenge kill a lot of foes with Disguise intact and set Trick Room for Mega Mawile to do whatever it wants.

--
--​

Tapu Fini @ Waterium Z
Ability: Misty Surge
Level: 50
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Taunt

I can't remember how many teams have I trolled with this set alone. Many players assume that this Tapu Fini to be fat and passive due to the team's lack of defensive backbone. Even if Calm Mind is revealed, this set's offensive investment and Speed is typically unexpected. There is also no feasible way for opponents to tell if Tapu Fini is holding a Sitrus Berry, a pinch berry, or Waterium Z, leading opponents to get greedy and try to set up along and find a way to shut down Tapu Fini while getting around the potential berry it may be holding. With Timid nature, this Tapu Fini outspeeds Adamant Mimikyu, Landorus-T, Breloom, and any Rotom that doesn't run Timid with full Speed investment, as well as Mamoswine. Special attack investment obviously helps with general damage output, and more importantly, enables it to OHKO Volcarona with a Quiver Dance boost, entirely avoiding the trouble that this set will otherwise run into if Volcarona survives a hit, eats a pinch berry, and retaliates with Giga Drain. While HP Fire breaks Ferrothorn faster, I chose Taunt to anti-lead Hippowdon and bulky Mimikyu and set up on Heatran and Toxapex more reliably.

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate -> Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off

I'm not sure how may people will need an introduction to understand Mega Mawile, but for the sake of formality, I'll go over. This Pokemon has enough power to OHKO or 2HKO most unresisted offensive Pokemon, can bs through resists with SD, and is this team's only priority user that gives a ray of hope against Naganadel or other faster attackers that get out of control. Varying EV spread are possible for this Pokemon, but I wanted to keep every bit of power boost that comes from Huge Power so I opted for a standard set. Knock Off is there to prevent Mega Mawile from getting completely stopped by Heatran, a trouble that Tapu Fini cannot reliably hold up with. Swords Dance can be replaced by coverage moves like Fire Fang or Ice Punch, but it is simply too hot to give up.

Latias (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 28 HP / 4 Def / 220 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

From my experience, many people failed to expect Choice Specs Latias in general. What makes this set justifiable in my team is that it has enough bulk to take on Mega Blaziken, which Latios lacks. This Pokemon exists to threaten Poison-types like Mega Venusaur and Toxapex and offensively check Fighting-types like Mega Blaziken and Breloom. That's about it. First two moves are STAB, Shadow Ball hits Tapu Lele and Aegislash, and Thunderbolt hits Celesteela. EV spread ensures that Latias survives Mega Gengar's Shadow Ball from full health.

Greninja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Gunk Shot

The whack-looking set covers most of the troubling foes in one moveset. With Focus Sash intact, Greninja can take out various Pokemon due to various specialized coverage moves it is carrying. The moveset may need some elaboration for readers to understand - Dark Pulse is there to threaten Aegislash and Cresselia and Ice Beam does Ice Beam things and hits Dragon and Ground-types. Hidden Power Ground is there to take out Heatran faster and punish annoying Magnezone that is baited into one on one matchup. Gunk Shot is there to make the quickest disposal of other Tapu's, though it can potentially be replaced by U-turn that generates momentum.

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 164 HP / 12 Def / 116 SpA / 4 SpD / 212 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sludge Wave

Survives +1 Double-Edge from Mega Salamence and outspeeds everything up to Jolly Landorus-T holding a Choice Scarf. The first three moves are bread and butter for any Electric-type using a choice item and Sludge Wave is used to bean on Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu, as well as Tapu Koko, making Thundurus-T an actual check to one of the most common Electric-types. Being able to outspeed Mega Metagross, surprising various random Pokemon with higher Speed, and alleviating the rest of the team's inability to immediately pressure Flying- and Water-types is the primary strength of this set.

Mimikyu @ Mimikium Z
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 164 HP / 140 Atk / 196 Def / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Trick Room

About EV spread.. it is a bit complicated. The Dex page for Mimikyu has an explanation for this EV spread I came up with, so I will bring it here:
The given EV spread ensures that Mimikyu will always survive Adamant Mega Blaziken's Flare Blitz and +1 Adamant Mega Gyarados's Waterfall and Crunch while almost always surviving Jolly Mega Salamence's Double-Edge. The EV spread also allows Mimikyu to take a Psyshock from Modest Tapu Lele.
Avoiding 2HKO from Porygon2's Analytic-boosted Foul Play also means that Mimikyu can do something after using Curse and getting hit. Mimikyu is there to deal with some dumb shits like Glailie / Eeveepass as well as Kommo-o that people started using for some reason. Being an actual answer to Naganadel is also a good relief fo this team. After all, dead Pikachu rules this metagame - change my mind.

--
--

Unfortunately this team does have flaws.

- Fire-types carrying Electric moves. Blaziken / Mega Charizard X with Thunder Punch are difficult to play around without Mimikyu or Greninja with Focus Sash intact. Blaziken can be dealt by Latias, but it can switch in only once against Firium Z + SD variants so there should be caution. Rotom-H is easy to pressure, however.
- Fire-types behind Aurora Veil or dual screens. If something like Mega Charizard is behind the screen and Mimikyu wasn't picked, it is better to press X because Tapu Fini will eventually get overpowered. Volcarona carrying Substitute is worse. Greninja and Thundurus-T can't OHKO max HP Alolan Ninetales…
- Focus Sash users. This is a fundamental problem for any team lacking entry hazards or weather.
- Mega Kangaskhan. This Pokemon is much less of a brainless breaker compared to ORAS but it is still painful for my team to play around. Luckily it doesn't take on any Pokemon with ease but if it is behind Substitute or gets a free switch things will go nasty.
- Tapu Lele. Exactly 0 switch-in and the only way to deal with it is just keeping offensive pressure or hope it gets baited into Latias's Shadow Ball, which is already a dangerous move to be locked into.
- Mega Metagross. Tapu Fini needs Waterium Z and a reasonable amount of health to take it out, Latias needs to lock itself into Shadow Ball, and there is no safe switch-in for this thing in general. Thundurus-T to Mega Mawile is what I usually do but predictions do happen.
- Aegislash. Forces me to be IQ 300 if it is SubToxic set. Tapu Fini can take on this well, but it doesn't like switching into Shadow due to complete lack of recovery and defensive investment.

--
--

Importable:

Tapu Fini @ Waterium Z
Ability: Misty Surge
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Taunt

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off

Latias (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

Greninja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Gunk Shot

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 164 HP / 12 Def / 116 SpA / 4 SpD / 212 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sludge Wave

Mimikyu @ Mimikium Z
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 164 HP / 140 Atk / 196 Def / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Trick Room
That's all I have in terms of showcasing one of my favorite teams. Thanks for reading.

--
--

From this point, it is going to be a long text of wall about 1k and other things. I basically tagged some people as I wrote the story.

I honestly don't know where to start with this 1k post talk. So many things happened from late November of 2017 after I decided to find a new place to settle. Though I don't have much today I never knew I would end up where I am today.

Before 2018 I was planning on slowly stopping to play Pokemon after trying out one thing I didn't do in Smogon yet: Contributions and Corrections. Prior to that, I tried just about everything. I lurked in all metagame subforum at least once, wrote an article, and occasionally laughed at some qdb's. It feels like yesterday that I jumped into C&C and started writing without taking a realistic break for 10 months until 2 days ago. I remember that night when I wanted to try something out and stopped by OU Analyses subforum with the thread that has something like "READ THE FIRST THREE POSTS BEFORE POSTING" so I did read and realized there is nothing left for me to grab. I took a big L from Leo after I pmed him and asked if there's anything I can write. Before giving up, I decided to look around other forums and I found Ubers analyses subforum that was very close to getting started with USM updates.

Until then, I never took Ubers seriously, or more precisely, I never took a tier seriously before. The only reason why I decided to start writing for Ubers is because it was hyperlinked right next to "OU Analyses" and I thought I could potentially catch up with other writers who also had to adapt themselves to the new metagame that took a big hit after introduction of Pokemon like Necrozma-DM and Ultra Necrozma. After shaming myself by asking for a QC-member-only analysis, I made my first attempt on Tyranitar. I expected to be quite clumsy with writing, and I was mentally prepared to get it rejected. However, as I continued writing, I started feeling something strange. Something that made me want to actually prove that I am capable of doing at least one thing. That's the moment when I decided to bump into Ubers Discord. A little nervous by the new environment, I pressed the "accept invite". The first thing I have seen is just people casually chatting, with various auths on the users list. Some names were familiar, but what immediately grabbed my attention was this one user who I had trouble reading his name. Nayrz had a cringy role called "Ultra Moderator" and I was quite intimidated by his avatar which is a silhouette of one of the characters from Danganronpa with red background, and I never expected where he would be today. Despite this, he seemed like the most active auth around that hour so I started asking people about if my current skeleton for Tyranitar looks okay. Then about 5 people started arguing amongst themselves about ordering Utility / Choice Band / Mega Dragon Dance set which gave me a huge headache. Because I made a promise with myself to at least try to get that one analysis going, I tried my best to incorporate everyone's opinion and eventually ended up with 3 set analysis. The analysis was ridiculously long to the level where I gave up on touching further on quality by myself and marking the thread as "Quality Control". Somehow people decided to check it, and I decided to try a few more Ubers analyses... and that "a few more" became 30.

Around the time I tried to take a short break from C&C I was PMed by one of the QC guys that asked me if I can do a Facebook Spotlight. I was like 'yeah, whatever' in my head but I formally responded, saying I'll do it. The request didn't really make me feel anything until he said 'you are the one who won't make a mess'. This probably made me actually start putting more effort into doing FB Spotlights and other things because that really made me feel that I am being given a trust that I could never even dream of from where I stayed before I started hanging around in Ubers. Knowing that there is someone who actually trusts me, I decided to just write around half an hour a day and actually learn the tier that I started liking quite a bit. I kept going and something happened in early March. I believe it was back when I was writing 8th one when I opened my alerts one day and saw 4 people 'wrote a message on my profile' and I was like 'why is my wall getting shitted on' and I opened my profile to see the red thing people call "ladybug". Honestly this was an accident. I never thought I could get badged for writing analyses and I don't think I was particularly being a good human being to get a badge either. This was another moment when I actually felt better about myself with some people actually giving me a trust.

Writing kept going. Holding ladybug, which I aimed to transform into a teardrop, I also tried writing for various tiers that I am slightly less but adequately familiar about. I eventually went back to OU to try some of the writings, getting to know more about other contributors like lyd, Jordy, and curiosity in the process. Reaching out to other forums like Flying Press also gave me opportunities to meet other users like Nuked and allstarapology who were holding a single badge by the time I was ladybug but are C&C moderators today and GPers like martha who ended up being a yeet queen (GPTL) and Fireflame479 who is a goat. Though I annoy most people from OU and Flying Press for various reasons, I am at least doing some work there that prevents me from getting banned.

By the time when I was 'promoted' to teardrop I pretty much was writing most of the time. I was just doing UPL replay thread in Ubers subforum and occasionally had talks from people from Battle Spot and that was entertaining enough. Until recently, I participated in seasonals and open until I got bored. I decided to just hit 30 in Ubers C&C forum and go to a long hibernation period with this post. So many people ask me what makes me spam analyses when I already am holding a teardrop. All I can say is, it helps filling the void I have from being too introvert to socialize in PS and I am just keeping a promise with the UTL after I directly asked and joined the QC team.

BSPL happened too. Though 1-2 record in a tournament left me with a very few notable memories, they were all implanted in my head because how my teammates were patient with me when I was very terrible at scheduling. Because I promised that I will be involved more in Battle Spot community, my 1k is a Battle Spot RMT. Everyone I see in Ubers Discord know me enough to the point where they unapologetically tease me and doesn't mind me doing the same.

I'll probably hang out in The Flying Press and stay put until the next gen. Maybe put more time on other tiers. But one thing I am sure about is that I'm completely happy with the decision I made in November of 2017 despite the stuff I had / will have to potentially bare at a cost.

Fireflame479
Big thanks to thee! Every time I felt like I am notorious in GP, you stepped ahead and helped me out in every GP checks. Let's hope our things as high school seniors go well and thanks again for co-writing the article.

Gurpreet Patel (Sent you a Friend Request)
For fuck's sake go back to previous username because you are pain in the ass to mention / tag / reference. But I owe you a debt that I can never pay back. You were patient enough with me even when I'm being a complete idiot and always post dank memes in our server which helps me feel better in rough days. Though you struggle with tour games' tilt and stuff you still remain content and that's what I respect the most and should learn the most from you.

Zovrah
Very bad but I fucking love you papa

pazza
My Hero Academia is good but things get so violent x_x
and I'm a wuss.

cant say
Your twitch stream is fire. Just dragging you into this thread so that you know there is one more fan than you thought.

PinkSylvie GroudonEmpire Jmal98 Mishimono Monsareeasy Moose And Goose Particular1
Thank you BSPL teammates for baring with a bad teammate like me. My browser is lagging so sorry if I missed anyone though I'm sure I got all of them.

I'm so sorry if I missed anyone but it will be okay because I'm very bad at this and I'm an obnoxious butthole hue hue hue. But for real, I remember almost everyone I met so don't kill me when I go back to Discord please.

Peace out. I'm tired.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)