XY LC Torchpass is an art

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem

Banner By Gifted Artist Corporal Levi
Introduction
Hey there everybody and welcome to my first RMT! This team was originally build in KrowTite, with Meditite being the main recipient. He was probably one of the best Baton Pass recipients ever, however, I unfortunately deleted that old team; as such, I won't be able to share the team with you guys. The replacement for Meditite in this team is Timburr. Corporal Levi digged some replays and then I was able to rebuild this team for this meta. It's quite fun to use; and effective that's for sure. However, I still feel like it needs improvement so I decided to type this RMT. (also I want to show it to the wurld) Now, let's get to the actual team!

Torchic @ Berry Juice
Ability: Speed Boost
Level: 5
EVs: 196 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Bold Nature
- Curse
- Substitute
- Protect
- Baton Pass

Pretty much standard cursechic set. Easily my most common lead and, obviously, the main pillar of this team. The EVs spread maxes speed out while improving bulk, which is pretty important as with just one boost Torchic will outspeed the whole unboosted meta. This Torchic can basically set up on any Physical attacker (and some special attackers such as the obvious Spritzee) that lacks a SE STAB move. Just a SE usually won't be enough to beat this chick. And even leads that have got it will set up Stealth Rock so Torchic gets a free Substitute. Berry Juice is the only means of recovery for Torchic and as such has a vital role in providing recovery while also weakening Knock Off, allowing me to set up on Pawniard. At the very best, with Stealth Rock damage, you will have about 5 Substitutes to "waste" so Torchic never is going to be set up fodder, unless the opposing Pokemon has Taunt. Talking about Taunt, Cottonee and Purrloin are this little chicken greatest enemies. Due to the lack of any Fire-type STAB, Cottonee has even an easier time switching in on Torchic and just clicking Encore. Taunt is an even worse move, as Torchic is forced to struggle, but Cottonee isn't going to risk that due to a possible Fire-type move. Purrloin has got Taunt, Encore, the nasty Thunder Wave and no weakness to Fire-type moves. And to things get even worse, it has U-turn so it uses Taunt, I am clearly forced to switch out, then the cat uses U-turn and shifts all the offensive momentum to the opposing side. Good thing Torchic isn't alone in this journey so let's get to the next teammate that laugh out loud at Purrloin.

Timburr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 196 Atk / 76 Def / 160 SpD / 76 Spe
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Mach Punch

Standard Timburr with a tiny difference in its EV spread; its Speed investment. I basically replaced the usual HP investment to Speed. Honestely, that's just for Diglett which is becoming less and less and less common as time pasts; I just feel it would be terrible to get a Memento and I never felt the difference without 25 HP; as long as I can survive Fletch's Acrobatics, for me its just fine. Timburr is my main sweeper, usually acting in mid-game. Drain Punch provides reliable STAB while recovering its HP. Knock Off is the butter-'n-bread spam move that provides utility to the whole team. Poison Jab lures Spritzee and Bulk Up would be pointless in this team imo. Mach Punch is the always needed priority move that not only eases priority but gives Timburr the opportunity to revenge-kill. This guy nemesis is Spritzee. It can usually stop its sweep and as it's been seen in so many teams that Timburr just can not sweep in early-game most battles. Snubbull is an annoyance but to be honest, with some hazard damage and at least +2 in defense, there isn't much most Snubbull can do, unless it has Bulk Up. Let's get now to the next teammate, that synergizes incredibly well with Timburr in basically any kind of team.

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 156 Atk / 36 Def / 116 SpD / 200 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Brick Break / Stealth Rock

Say Hi to my early-game sweeper and my anti-memento bud. The EV spread doesn't maxes Attack out because I doesn't need it due to all boosts Torchic passes to Pawniard and the even number in Special Defense proofes to be neat against special attackers. Pawniard is the strongest Knock Offer in the meta and also easily beats Cottonee, which would be otherwise a great problem for this team. Knock Off is the most spammable move some Pokemon would ever wish and Pawn is no exception. Iron Head is its secondary STAB mostly used after Knock Offing an Eviolite and most importantly, beating Faries. Sucker Punch is the most needed priority move to deal with weakened Shell Smashers, Abra, and other threats Pawniard must need to revenge kill. Brick Break is here solely for opposing Pawniard. I wouldn't really sweep with Pawniard if I didn't have Brick Break. Stealth Rock is still an option tho, it can be useful in a lot of ways by, for instance, helping to defeat Sturdy+Berry Juice users. Also, Pawniard causes lots of switches, giving it a lot of momentum to set up. It's greatest checks are most Fighting-types, but only Timburr (if it didn't have its Eviolite Knocked Off or weakened!) would be able to survive a +2 Iron Head. Spritzee is here to help with this issue anyway. Now to the next teammate that provides unvaluable support to the team.

Drilbur @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 60 HP / 236 Atk / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Poison Jab

Our favorite mole is here. While it is usually used as hazard setting / removal, being even a common lead due to most people predicting Torchic, it can still sweep with cursechic boosts, just like all the members of this team. (THIS INCLUDES SPRITZEE :O) Rapid Spin is my main means of hazard removal, Earthquake is a incredibly strong move for Drilbur that scares so many walls in this meta, its just incredible how Drilbur is strong while also having a reliable and powerful move. Rock Slide forms the "EdgeQuake" coverage hitting everything at least for neutral damage, while hitting the pesky Flying-types for heavy damage. Poison Jab lures Cottonee and as most Cottonee doesn't run Giga Drain nowadays, Drilbur can act as a soft-check to it. Drilbur should sweep when Sturdy+Berry Juice Pokemon (such as Magnemite and Tirtouga) are around; especially Magnemite, most of them can check the other members of this team fairly easy and as such, Drilbur is an incredible asset with Mold Breaker. Due to it being the frailest member though, it won't be able to finish its sweep at early-game; however, this is when I mostly use it because it will leave a huge, like, really huge hole in the opposing team. This guy has proofen to be incredibly useful for the team and, like Pawniard, I don't think it should be replaced anytime soon.

Spritzee @ Eviolite
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 212 HP / 196 Def / 12 SpA / 76 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast

Good ol' Spritzee is here with the main task of giving Torchic wish support. Relying on Berry Juice as means of recovery definetely is not enough; as such, Spritzee gives Torchic another source to get HP back by passing its gargantous wishes that will pretty much recover all of Torchic's tiny HP stat. Otherwise, Spritzee is my only special attacker, my main way to deal with Fighting-types, and a surprise-like sweeper. Seriously, nobody will ever think I'm gonna pass to Spritzee when dealing against Torchic. But to be honest, most of Spritzee's checks are reliant on Spritzee low Speed, no way to increase Physical Defense outside of Eviolite, and almost no offensive presence. Cursepass changes that completely. With that Spritzee may turn in a pink, destrutive monster which most teams are not expected to deal with. With +2 boosts in Defense, Spritzee may start setting up Calm Mind on any strong physical attacker that doesn't have a really powerful SE STAB Attack, such as Life Orb Pawniard. Spritzee can also set up on Special Attackers that otherwise would do solid damage if they were faster than Spritzee. All its usual checks are covered by its teammates as well.

Tirtouga @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy / Solid Rock
EVs: 4 HP / 212 Atk / 92 Def / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Shell Smash

Something that has caught on recentely is Solid Rock Berry Juice SS Tirtouga. However I still find The EV spread is fairly standard, maxing both Attack and Speed stats while mixing the leftover EVs in Defense and HP. Jolly is used to outspeed 15 Scarfers and speed tie with 16 Scarfers. Earthquake lures some common checks to Tirtouga such as Croagunk and helps defeating threats that would be only beaten by the unreliable Stone Edge, such as Chinchou. Both Waterfall and Stone Edge are hard-hitting STABs the former being the most used and reliable one and the later being the strongest one to guarantee some KOs needed against threats like Vullaby. Tirtouga can also be a recipient, but usually it isn't; after one of my sweepers leave the opposing team with a hole, Tirtouga is more often the late-game cleaner as most of its checks are really bulky threats that resist most of its hits such as Ferroseed and Foongus. At late-game these threats would be either KOed or weakened and as such, Tirtouga may attempt for a sweep. To be honest though, I don't feel like Tirtouga is really fitting in this team for some reason; as such I would appreciate any suggestions to replace it. Carvanha maybe? It's a good late-game cleaner, incredibly strong and honestely, if I pass one Substitute or a boost with Torchpass, the opponent will have a hard time to check Carvanha if it doesn't have Cotton. Carvanha would also provide a much needed Destiny Bond support, eliminating threats that wouldn't allow Torchic to get some boosts. Anyway, let's go now to the replays.

Replays

Gonna add more soon
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-167518375 - Imo, the only replay worthy to show for now. Just a friendly battle against me and Rowan that showed how amazing torchpass to Spritzee can be, watch it n_n.
Possible Changes
  • One of the main things I've been considering is Baton Pass Mienfoo over Timburr. Not onlky Mienfoo can be way stronger, just needs one boost to outspeed the meta, but also has Baton Pass, which would make my team incredibly more versatile. But then, how would be his set. Would it have U-turn. I mean, Baton Pass does the same U-turn does just without the chip damage, so I don't see the point on U-turning over something like Poison Jab or Stone Edge. And most importantly; this team either needs a status absorber or a cleric, which leaves to our next possible change;
  • Aromatherapy > Calm Mind. I feel like this would be necessary without Timburr. This team just cannot affort to let Torchic to be paralized. Or any of the physical attackers be burned. Timburr is there for it :o But I just don't feel like running Spritzee without Calm Mind its just soo cool...
  • Can't think on any other replacement but besides from Torchic (duh), Pawniard, Spritzee and maybe Drilbur everything is discussable.
Past Members

Gonna add something in here when we do make a replacement.
Importable
Torchic @ Berry Juice
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 116 HP / 196 Def / 196 SpD
Bold Nature
- Curse
- Substitute
- Protect
- Baton Pass

Timburr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 196 Atk / 76 Def / 160 SpD / 76 Spe
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Mach Punch

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 156 Atk / 36 Def / 116 SpD / 200 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Brick Break

Drilbur @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 60 HP / 236 Atk / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

Spritzee @ Eviolite
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 212 HP / 196 Def / 12 SpA / 76 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast

Tirtouga @ Berry Juice
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 4 HP / 212 Atk / 92 Def / 180 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Shell Smash

I would like to thank you for reading this so far, and I hope you test this team and give it a rate ;)

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright, so I've played like 20 something games with this team, most of them getting out of the low ladder by just wining with Torchic. I don't think going with BP Mienfoo and aromatherapy is necessary as Spritzee is invaluable as an alternative sweeper option, however I think that a bulky pivot mienfoo > timburr would be invaluable for the team. The biggest issue is what to do when not passing curses, and being able to U-turn into torchic on switches into Mienfoo (i.e. Spritzee) would probably help set up even more. The other issue I have is Sturdy on tirtouga. I can't imagine why solid rock is a thing when sturdy is so useful for passing boosts. For example, I'm just rating this after a battle where I could have won by passing to Tirtouga on a Foonguss, but giga drain just OHKO'd, leaving me with just Torchic. I just don't see any reason to run solid rock, especially when you'll be lowering your defenses by two stages anyway, and sturdy makes tirtouga the good mon it is (sweeper wise). Still a really fun team that got me back into LC, really nice setup for Torchic to put in work.

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
I can see your point on bulky pivot foo with U-Turn but think about it. In terms of getting momentum, U-turn is obviously better due to the cheap damage. But that is the only advantage U-turn has over Baton Pass in these means for foo. Unless Inkay becomes a thing, U-turn is not there for coverage. And I am actually using a Pokemon that can Baton Pass boosts to Mienfoo. Seeing as how easily most teams hard-counter foo, if I Baton Pass to the right mon (likely the one who lost its opposing hard counter as any of these team members are granted to KO something after receiving the boosts) this mon can have an easy time sweeping. Again; the only thing U-turn can offer that Baton Pass can't in this team is cheap damage. I still would like more opinions on Foo but if we are going to run it, I think U-turn would be pointless, unless someone proofes the cheap damage is useful somehow. I fully agree with you Bippy on SturdyTirt; Sturdy would've saved my teams countless times if I had it. Also, SturdyTirt can sweep even if SashAbra is around, as long the Sturdy isn't broken. I still like how solid rock can proof to be useful; Tirt is more able to set up on a pinch,at full health can set up against Drilbur, and with one defensive boost it tanks Fighting-types like a champ. As such, I'm gonna slash both of these abilities (Sturdy main) and explain what each of these abilities have got. Thanks for the rate Bippy and keep playing LC, it is the best meta ever. EDIT: To make my example with foo even more cool look: Torchic passes boosts to Foo > Foo KOes something > Opponent sends Fairy say Spritzee > Foo passes to Torchic so it can set up even further :)

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I can see your point on bulky pivot foo with U-Turn but think about it. In terms of getting momentum, U-turn is obviously better due to the cheap damage. But that is the only advantage U-turn has over Baton Pass in these means for foo. Unless Inkay becomes a thing, U-turn is not there for coverage. And I am actually using a Pokemon that can Baton Pass boosts to Mienfoo. Seeing as how easily most teams hard-counter foo, if I Baton Pass to the right mon (likely the one who lost its opposing hard counter as any of these team members are granted to KO something after receiving the boosts) this mon can have an easy time sweeping. Again; the only thing U-turn can offer that Baton Pass can't in this team is cheap damage. I still would like more opinions on Foo but if we are going to run it, I think U-turn would be pointless, unless someone proofes the cheap damage is useful somehow. I fully agree with you Bippy on SturdyTirt; Sturdy would've saved my teams countless times if I had it. Also, SturdyTirt can sweep even if SashAbra is around, as long the Sturdy isn't broken. I still like how solid rock can proof to be useful; Tirt is more able to set up on a pinch,at full health can set up against Drilbur, and with one defensive boost it tanks Fighting-types like a champ. As such, I'm gonna slash both of these abilities (Sturdy main) and explain what each of these abilities have got. Thanks for the rate Bippy and keep playing LC, it is the best meta ever. EDIT: To make my example with foo even more cool look: Torchic passes boosts to Foo > Foo KOes something > Opponent sends Fairy say Spritzee > Foo passes to Torchic so it can set up even further :)
Sorry, I should have specified that Mienfoo should definitely have Baton Pass, I just think a bulky pivot spread would be better than a standard offensive BP spread

Hey there Max, great creative team I really like it! Torchpass is really solid and can be really threatening if you didn't prepare yourself to face it.

First of all I'd like to say that running Baton Pass Mienfoo might not be a cool idea, having a team that is almost centralized around Baton Pass isn't really effective in LC so It'll be wiser to keep Timburr, it gives you an answer to a lot of stuff like Carvanha, which can be a huge threat to your team, thanks to its priority Mach Punch so it fills the spot better. I don't really think that changing Solid Rock with Sturdy on Tirtouga might change much as both have their own niche but Solid Rock on Tirtouga allows it to set up safely on stuff like Mold Breaker Drilbur and live some Fighting-type attacks, I'm not saying that Sturdy is bad but Solid Rock can be better especially for advanced people who have a big knowledge on the metagame, like you do, because it can be really risky and hard to play with compared to Sturdy.

Anyways, I can see that Cottonee can be a really huge problem for your team stopping Torchic from setting up and Baton Passing and can also wall and cripple Tirtouga, you do have an answer to it in Pawniard and Poison Jab on Timburr but having a third one will be helpful so I'll suggest running Poison Jab on Drilbur instead of Stealth Rock, Drilbur can easily lure Cottonee because people expect to wall it and OHKO with Poison Jab, it might not work out with people who are familiar with LC as Poison Jab Drilbur is getting common nowadays but it's an overall better option. Also if you really want to have a Stealth Rock setter I'll suggest running Stealth Rock over Brick Break on Pawniard, keep in mind that this is an optional suggestion, since Brick Break is a situational move used usually only to deal with opposing Pawniards so it might be better to use Stealth Rock over it but like I said it's optional and I prefer to keep Brick Break if you really don't want to have a rocks setter.

So yeah, great team fren I'll definitely give it a try. I hope I helped and good luck! :)

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
Thanks Yagura, you do have point with Poison Jab on Cottonee. This thing is a pain in the ass and Drilbur would be the best lure for it; with or without BP. I am not that sure about Rocks Pawn though; Brick Break in this team has a really important role on beating opposing Pawniard and we cannot even say its situational, Pawn is everywhere. Rocks are just too useful tho so I might try it and surely I will slash it in here. Thanks for the rate fren, you are pretty good at that ;o

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
Thank you for the rate Denis! This team isn't that weak for either Sand nor Sun (which is way better than Sand tbf) because both Torchic and Spritzee can waste some turns with Protect (especially the former which has Substitute as well.). Honestely tho, nowadays Sand isn't really common like in OU; the big deal is Sun and I feel this team can play around it. I've already thought on WoW chic tbh, but I do not feel like dropping Substitute. Now to your Natu. Damn. I wish my team would have 7 members now LOL this is the greatest idea ever; the only change I would make would be Hidden Power Fighting > Dazz cus Pawn is going to do really crazy damage. What should I replace Natu for? I definitely feel like having a ground-immunity; this team would appreciate a better thing to take on Drilbur. Natu also lessen status and is a big "no" to Cottonee. Really appreciated man.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)