uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
approved by TDK and bludz

Tsareena
Pokedex Number - #763
Type(s) - Grass
Base Stats - 72 HP / 120 Atk / 98 Def / 50 SpA / 98 SDef / 72 Spe

Abilities

Ability 1 - Leaf Guard: Prevents status conditions in sunny weather.
Ability 2 - Queenly Majesty: Its majesty pressures the opposing Pokémon, making it unable to attack using priority moves.
Hidden Ability - Sweet Veil: Prevents itself and ally Pokémon from falling asleep.

Level up moves:

Evolved Trop Kick
- Trop Kick
- Double Slap
- Splash
- Swagger
- Rapid Spin
- Razor Leaf
5 Swagger
9 Rapid Spin
13 Razor Leaf
17 Sweet Scent
21 Magical Leaf
25 Teeter Dance
29 Stomp
33 Aromatic Mist
37 Captivate
41 Aromatherapy
45 Leaf Storm
49 High Jump Kick

TMs and HMs:

TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM16 Light Screen
TM17 Protect
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM22 Solar Beam
TM27 Return
TM32 Double Team
TM33 Reflect
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM47 Low Sweep
TM48 Round
TM53 Energy Ball
TM56 Fling
TM62 Acrobatics
TM66 Payback
TM68 Giga Impact
TM86 Grass Knot
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM89 U-turn
TM90 Substitute
TM96 Nature Power
TM99 Dazzling Gleam
TM100 Confide

Egg Moves:

Egg Grass Whistle
Egg Synthesis
Egg Play Rough
Egg Feint
Egg Charm
Egg Acupressure

New moves:

Trop Kick: The user lands an intense kick of tropical origins on the target, This also lowers the target's Attack stat. 100% accuracy [Grass] 70 BP, Physical.

Analysis

Tsareena's kit is packed with utility, most notably in its abilities to remove hazards with Rapid Spin, gain momentum with U-Turn, and stop priority moves with its signature ability Queenly Majesty which when backed by its high Attack, decent bulk, and surprisingly varied offensive movepool make it useful as a powerful physical attacker and offensive spinner.

Tsareena's greatest shortcoming, however, is its low Speed which leaves it outsped by a significant portion of offensive Pokemon who can easily KO it. Although this weakness is possible to circumvent it still deserves serious consideration when using this Pokemon.

Potential Movesets

Choice Scarf
Tsareena (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Play Rough
- Trop Kick
- U-Turn / Rapid Spin

Set Description:
Trop Kick is a reliable STAB move with a useful secondary effect that guarantees an Attack drop against your target while High Jump Kick and Play Rough provide invaluable coverage to Tsareena. U-Turn provides momentum for Tsareena's team but can easily be subbed out for Rapid Spin which allows for the removal of hazards. A Choice Scarf helps take advantage of Tsareena's high Attack and immunity to priority while making up for its below average speed to turn it into a fast attacker that can take on even the strongest of priority users.

Dual Screens
Tsareena (F) @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- U-turn
- Trop Kick

Set Description:
This set sets up screens quickly and nets easy momentum with U-Turn which allows Tsareena to retreat without hard switching. This set also uses Trop Kick in order to prevent Tsareena from being completely passive should you choose to stay in against a foe, and makes use of Light Clay in order to extend the duration of its screens.

Personal Opinion:

Tsareena has a unique dynamic in that it's a powerful utility attacker and has strong coverage options for a pure Grass-type which I think is very interesting, I don't yet know which tier it will reside in but I'm dying to find out and rest assured I'll be using it a lot once it finds a place to call home.

Scarf Tsareena is definitely good. Trademark set for sure since it takes the most advantage of Queenly Majesty and U-turn.

Assault Vest is also really nice as a spinner from my experience. The bulk is pretty solid and allows it to get a fair amount of opportunities to spin. Checks a fair amount of Electric types, Serperior and Breloom as well.

Tsareena @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Trop Kick
- High Jump Kick
- Play Rough

Lacks room for U-turn without sacrificing crucial coverage or Rapid Spin though, so it loses it can't pivot quite as well.

Today, I have been thinking about Tsareena with Low Sweep.

Tsareena @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Trop Kick
- High Jump Kick / U-Turn
- Play Rough
- Low Sweep

Low Sweep works well with Queenly Majesty. With Assault Vest, she force switches from special attackers and walls. From a switch, Tsareena can choose to Low Sweep to outspeed any Scarfers lower than 484 Speed. After hazard damage, she can probably take out the sweeper, or a weakened wall. High Jump Kick is preferred for the power, but U-Turn can be used if a physical wall like Skarmory switches in.

Max Speed Tsareena sits at 267 Speed, narrowly outspeeding -1 max Speed base 111 Scarfers. -1 Scarfed Thundurus, Landorus, Terrakion, and sub-110's cannot switch into Low Sweep if they have taken prior damage. Max Attack is great, making her hit like a truck and allowing her to OHKO threats even without hazard damage, but you will sit at 243 Speed, barely losing against -1 positive natured base 100 Scarfers, which is often a deal-breaker.

Assault Vest helps Tsareena switch in, which helps this set work better. Life Orb helps net more kills, but hazard damage, Low Sweep damage, and a whopping 308 Attack will probably seal the deal anyway. Leftovers recovery is nice, but makes her far less tanky.

This set hates status thrown about by the walls that Tsareena is supposed to threaten out. In particular, it hates being paralyzed. Heal Bell users such as Clefable can absorb status with Magic Guard, and can use Heal Bell and Wish for support.

Last edited:

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was beginning to raise my eyebrows at it stats and moveset until I noticed Swords Dance being absent. It would have appreciated Leaf Blade too, but alas...

Having Rapid Spin and something resembling an offensive presence already gives me high hopes for Tsareena. It doesn't have that same nasty Pursuit weakness and Ferrothorn vulnerability that Starmie does, so its niche in standard is basically already carved for it, however small it might be.

I like that the majority of ice users (Water, Ice, Dragon) cant safely switch in on her due to movepool . That helps her poor typing a little bit.

I am currently seeing if Offensive Spinner Tsareena (Assault Vest) can make my rain team. She helps against electric, grass and water. Additionally doesnt have to worry about fire attacks.

this pokemon is ridiculously good as a support. decent bulk with generally reliable recovery in Synthesis, access to the coveted Rapid Spin, access to Aromatherapy, and other useful moves like U-Turn, Grasswhistle, and dual screens is absurd. its physical movepool is decent but it's definitely on the slow side and it's really fucking hard to pass up its crazy support movepool. it's also pretty good against Xurkitree which can only hit you with HP Ice.

252 SpA Xurkitree Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tsareena: 120-142 (34.4 - 40.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

not ideal but it's survivable

Tsareena (F) @ Leftovers / Wide Lens
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Synthesis
- Rapid Spin
- Aromatherapy
- U-turn / Grasswhistle

Duck Chris

replay watcher
is a Forum Moderator
I've been seeing this thing on the ladder a lot today.
Unexpectedly decent bulk.
Keeping an eye on this thread

I'm really hoping Tsareena can find her place in OU. Tsareena has my favorite design out of the gen 7 pokemon, though Pheromosa is a close second...however we all know that thing's gonna be banned from OU.

I've been running a defensive set.

Tsareena (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 defense/ 4 atk
Impish Nature
- Synthesis
- Rapid Spin/ Aromatherapy
- Trop Kick
- U-turn / Grasswhistle/toxic

Decide what you want to do with her Spinner or cleric, and roll with it. The last slot is basically just what you need. Need a slow turner? Sleep? More toxic support? She can do it all. and those trop kicks are still hurting off that base atk and helping even more with the bulk. This girl has been living Unstab poison jabs from some heavy hitters so like, Don't underestimate her walling potential. She's a pretty good support for toxapex since she resists two of its main weaknesses. I'm having a blast with this new meta.

You're honestly better off doing a bulky spinner or assault vest for this girl. Like she'll out speed a fair amount with a scarf but not in the current meta with a bunch of ubers unbanned
She also doesn't have the widest array of offensive options for a Scarf set. I can't believe Tsareena misses out on Leaf Blade.
I can see an RU out of her, but the again her utility is amazing.

I really wish Tsareena had a secondary typing. Fighting or Fairy would be great, giving it some extra resistances and adding STAB to either High Jump Kick or Play Rough. As is, though, the potential is certainly there. Her bulk is pretty decent, and Trop Kick's guaranteed Atk drop lets her tank physical hits a lot better than raw stats would suggest. As a Rapid Spinner, having decent offensive presence, Play Rough to smack Mega Sableye, and High Jump Kick to hit some hazard setters are both good traits. Utilities like U-turn, Aromatherapy, and Synthesis are just icing on the cake.

She also doesn't have the widest array of offensive options for a Scarf set. I can't believe Tsareena misses out on Leaf Blade.
I can see an RU out of her, but the again her utility is amazing.
While I agree I don't think she was built to be an all out attacker. She's a utility mon. Trop kick is ridiculously good. Having a decently powerful move with passive growl attached is amazing. Mixed with lefties and synthesis she can stall out physical attackers and slowly kill them. Slow turning out of physical attackers, and being able to cleric with some punch to her kicks is amazing. She's at least BL2. If not top tier UU. She can fair pretty well in OU but She's hard stopped by a lot of things.

The only thing that really bums me out is that Play rough and synthesis are incompatible egg moves. Play rough/ trop kick would help her bulky kick backing.

Let's not forget that Tsareena has a one-time setup move, Z-Splash. It may remove her ability to use an item other than Normalium Z, but that just means she doesn't get hit by Knock Off as hard and can't be Tricked. All in all, I see a lot of interesting options in Tsareena that could allow her to see usage in OU, whether that's as a scarfer that can't be hit by priority in any terrain, or a bulky band user, or a defensive spinner/pivot, or just a lot of things. If Game Freak gives her some nice moves next game with the Move Tutors, (wouldn't it be amazing if she got Blaze Kick somehow? She uses kick moves already, and it'd make her a good answer to Mega Scizor) I could see her being a very potent threat.

72 is quite slow for even a Choice Scarf user, isn't it?
Scarf Tsareena can outspeed Tapu Koko at least, so that's good enough. Pokemon like Heatran, Volcanion, Tyrantrum, Bisharp and Tyranitar run Scarf sets sometimes with similar speeds. The speed that is good for a Scarf set depends on the metagame really.

Scarf Tsareena can outspeed Tapu Koko at least, so that's good enough. Pokemon like Heatran, Volcanion, Tyrantrum, Bisharp and Tyranitar run Scarf sets sometimes with similar speeds. The speed that is good for a Scarf set depends on the metagame really.
In uu that speed tier with a scarf will take names and lives

Something interesting I discovered through testing today. In addition to blocking moves like Quick Attack, Queenly Majesty also blocks moves that gain priority through Prankster, Gale Wings and Triage.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/customgame-485620436

Used one on my in game team, was awesome. I think a Swords Dance set has potential to sweep slower teams - with Trop Kick, High Jump Kick, Return / U-turn it has plenty of coverage, and it doesn't fear priority.

Queenly Majesty also shields your allies in Double Battles, so it'll be great there. It also gets Reflect and Light Screen, and resists Earthquake, Surf and Discharge.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankdoublesou-485624555

Last edited:
Used one on my in game team, was awesome. I think a Swords Dance set has potential to sweep slower teams - with Trop Kick, High Jump Kick, Return / U-turn it has plenty of coverage, and it doesn't fear priority.
Unfortunately, Tsareena doesn't get Swords Dance. Z-Splash is an option, albeit not an ideal one. Here's what that set might look like:

upload_2016-11-29_5-6-54.png

Love her design, and enjoy using her myself.

Tsareena (F)
Adamant Nature
- Trop Kick
- High Jump Kick
- Rapid Spin
- Play Rough

I don't think the speed will help too much, but the HP lets you tank a lot more physical attacks thanks to trop kick.

Though I am torn. Spin is great and all but I like Aromatherapy and synthesis a lot too...

I think red card could be an interesting option for her.

Tsareena @ Red Card
Adamant Nature
- Trop Kick
- High Jump Kick
- Rapid Spin
- Acrobatics / Synthesis

Send her in against an attack from a spin blocker, forcing them out. Next turn you can spin, try to kill whatever got dragged out, or potentially kill their spin blocker if your opponent switches them back in. Since the item is consumed it would allow her to run Acrobatics, giving her a better chance against Bug and Poison pokemon vs Play Rough. Alternately, run Synthesis to improve longevity.

I've been trying out this set in the current ou meta, and I think this works very well with balanced teams but the speed is a problem. Any comments or suggestions? (Note: I posted this somewhere else so this is copy pasted. I opted for u-turn + spin)

Specially Defensive:
Tsareena @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
252 HP / 92 Att / 164 SpD
-Trop Kick
-Synthesis
-Aromatherapy / Rapid Spin
-U-turn / Toxic

Being resistant to water, grass, electric, and ground all at once is pretty good in the ou world. I was a little disappointed that she had no leech seed or sleep powder, but it turns out her support movepool is still great. Trop Kick is a staple, as it allows her to push the advantage on the water and ground types she checks. Also 100% attack drop chance somewhat remedies the lack of defense evs. Synthesis provides recovery, but I wouldn't go far to call it very reliable.

Aromatherapy cures the whole team's status problems while rapid spin gets rid the ever popular hazards. A slow u-turn gives you strong momentum, and toxic is for crippling sweepers and other walls. You can honestly use a combination of any of the 4 moves in your last two slots.

The evs are so she can actually dish out damage with her stab. 328 attack is as strong as offensive shaymin's special attack stat. While the stab move is weaker than energy ball or even giga drain, it is enough to pressure some pkmn such as:

Tapu Fini: offensive variant 2HKOED by Trop Kick and can only 3hko with ice beam. 252/252 hp/+Def version is 3hkoed after lefties, and can only 4hko back with ice beam

252 Atk+ Iron head excadrill is a 3hko, while Trop Kick has a small chance to 2hko. The first kick will even reduce iron head's power so if you avoid a flinch for 2 turns, Tsareena can heal turn 2 and pretty much win the matchup

Offensive defog (LO) latias only 3hkoes if the first Draco meteor does average damage or less. If it does more, there is a small to moderate chance of getting 2hkoed. Meanwhile Tsareena can deal 51-60% to offensive latis, with u-turn, making them easy prey for priority.

Specially/physically offensive (LO) tapu koko 3hkoes with Dazzling Gleam and Wild charge respectively. For physical variants watch out for u turn and brave bird. 4 Atk u-turn will only do 43-51%. Tsareena 2hkoes with Trop Kick after one life orb recoil.

Trop Kick 2hkoes 4 HP tyranitar. While an adamant crunch only has 3.1% chance to 2hko. Oh but then the attack drop... watch out for sandstorm though, it messes up your recovery, you will heal 0-6% if you spam synthesis vs a -1 adamant crunch ttar.

You could opt to run 26 speed ivs to get outsped by uninvested base 70 speed. This only specifically for mantine, as then it will be unable to roost unless it wants Trop Kick dealing 50-60%. This is a little unreliable however because he can fish for scald burns, or air slash flinch you (38.6% chance to 3hko).

I really want to see some replays of this thing. I just don't see it being OU, because psychic terrain already fills an anti priority niche, and a lot of relevant priority users don't even need priority to beat her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)