UK Pokémon Tournament - Manchester, July 2010

If we are playing on Battle Revolution, that will mean the battle initiation so to speak is the screen where you see your opponents 6 members and then pick four, isn't it? Just wanted to check.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If we are playing on Battle Revolution, that will mean the battle initiation so to speak is the screen where you see your opponents 6 members and then pick four, isn't it? Just wanted to check.
Yes, this is how it will work.

And yes, all Rotom Formes are banned, just to be more clear. It's not like anyone would use the original Rotom in double battles anyway...

Yes, this is how it will work.

And yes, all Rotom Formes are banned, just to be more clear. It's not like anyone would use the original Rotom in double battles anyway...
Alright thanks. That'll factor into my strategy now much more :)

Hi, i'm new to all of this, but will be attending in Manchester, as it's very local to me.

Doing my research and will be creating a team over the next couple of months.

natalie

property of alex
Oh btw don't forget deodorant because all these geeks in one place is going to smell, thanks. (This is by request of Natalie and her boss =], Natalie will perform routine smell checks, if you smell like meat and potato pie you're not getting in).
hahaha, very discreet! on the subject of meat and potato pies though, you are allowed to bring food in here and eat it. as long as it's not fish.

What about cat pee? :D

Ha I get why though. I've been down in that gamerbase before and I know what you mean.
cat pee is a no-no! the general aroma in here is much improved now, i have air freshener and i'm not afraid to use it!

a bit more information on the venue..

gamerbase manchester is located in the heart of the city on 90 Market Street and situated within the HMV gaming department on the lower floor.
we offer a cutting edge first class gaming experience on some of the most advanced gaming machines available today.
we also have 20+ xbox 360s XBOX 360s, all connected to 26" screens and XBOX Live, in addition to the 32" and 47" screens that we bust out for tournaments.
we have an incredible library of over 150 games available for you to play either on your own or with anyone else in the centre or for that matter around the world!

we hold tournaments on a myriad of games, mostly in the centre itself, but for bigger tournaments we have an events room. if we get enough interest in the pokemon tournament we'll probably take it in there. here are some pictures of said room, from our recent super street fighter 4 pre-release event:

the tournament seats - where the elimination rounds are held
the casual setups, where you can practise - available to play before, during and after the tournament
an overview - just to give you an idea of the scale :)

the event was sponsed by monster, hence all the cans everywhere.. it was ridiculous to clean up afterwards >.< you guys better not be so messy! looking forward to seeing some of you there :>

I work quite near the HMV on market street, and walk past it everyday.

I had no idea that you had an entire games event room.

Is there anyway of finding out about event's that take place there?

I'm assuming that the Pokemon event held there this July, will be very busy. Especially with the recent release of HG/SS.

natalie

property of alex
I work quite near the HMV on market street, and walk past it everyday.

I had no idea that you had an entire games event room.

Is there anyway of finding out about event's that take place there?

I'm assuming that the Pokemon event held there this July, will be very busy. Especially with the recent release of HG/SS.
the gaming centre has been in the basement for over a year, the events room is an occasional thing. you can find out about upcoming tournaments via the gamerbase manchester facebook page, or on gamerbase.com! or you could always pop in and say hi :)

Havak

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Cheers for that natalie =]

Yeah, I've got a feeling this is going to be busier than I first anticipated haha.. Maybe we should limit competitor slots to 48 soon, or we'll be there all weekend.

I'm at university in manchester so may come and have a go at it. The time constraints asdiciated with uni don't usually allow for team raising and playtesting, but I'm moving away from shoddy and back to wifi so this may be a good opportunity to commit to raising a team.

Havak

Awesome, just bring as many people as you can :) it'll be a fun day regardless I'm sure.

Anyone else interested in this? I'm really not sure what to do about the numbers yet.

Lastly, does anyone have any ideas for additional Pokémon related prizes for players who get further than others?

I'm going and bringing two friends. Don;t have time to EV train so I'm just gonna bring my only level 50's (which are only about 15 in all) and make a team of those that go together well.

Havak

I'm going and bringing two friends. Don;t have time to EV train so I'm just gonna bring my only level 50's (which are only about 15 in all) and make a team of those that go together well.
You can EV train a Pokémon in less than an hour easily :P the tournament isn't for like seven weeks or so yet. You also don't have to use level 50's, any level is fine because they'll be automatically made level 50 on PBR.

Yeah, but my highest on any game is 61 haha. I'm too casual for training loads, but I think i'll try and EV some, as I know how to. When my exams are over i'll have so much time to do it.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'll likely not be able to make it due to me likely going abroad over Summer.
I'll try my best to go there and win though, Save a spot for me!

Also, I'd be willing to clone and distribute Draco Meteor Jirachis. As for Poke-Prizes, I've got a few clones of good EV'd mons.

Man, heart of Manchester. I'm -really- gonna need an over night stay in that case.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It's not like anyone would use the original Rotom in double battles anyway...
Why not? It avoids Earthquake and Explosion, has good STAB attacks, and has high enough Speed to pull of a Choice Scarf/Trick set. Sure, the updated forms would be better, but you take what you can get.

What I actually came here to ask, though, is if you know why Sleep Clause isn't activated. They've got Item Clause and Self-KO Clauses in place (which I fully endorse), but no Sleep or Freeze Clause. Frankly, I find that baffling.

What I actually came here to ask, though, is if you know why Sleep Clause isn't activated. They've got Item Clause and Self-KO Clauses in place (which I fully endorse), but no Sleep or Freeze Clause. Frankly, I find that baffling.
Very true. It reminds me of one of the VGA warstories here, where Smeargle uses Dark Void...

Oh, talking about doubles, here it is: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54768

EDIT: Oh, and that is just wifi not PBR.

Probably cause in VGC there is no Freeze or Sleep Clause. Honestly thou, it is often less of a problem than you think, as it goes thru stages of sleep (and freeze to a lesser extent) being powerful till all teams carry a Chesto and Lum making it pretty useless. Then as it falls out of use and people stop using the berries, it makes a comeback.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Probably cause in VGC there is no Freeze or Sleep Clause. Honestly thou, it is often less of a problem than you think, as it goes thru stages of sleep (and freeze to a lesser extent) being powerful till all teams carry a Chesto and Lum making it pretty useless. Then as it falls out of use and people stop using the berries, it makes a comeback.
Well, that's all well and good but it's still quite centralizing.

I contend that the only reason Sleep Clause isn't used in the VGC is that it's not programmed into the games. It is, however, programmed into PBR.

Havak

That may well be true, but until the official VGC rules adopt those clauses, we'll be using what they currently have in place. I could change this to allow Rotom - but it means adding another bit of text to the rules stating that the additional Rotom Formes will not work on Battle Revolution. I just doubt that anyone would use that Rotom Forme as it doesn't do anything extra special, nor does it have the best stats to show off. My only reasoning for this is that the rules become slightly more complicated after having to talk about why something is banned, why it isn't banned, or why certain formes of it are banned. This is why I used VGC09 rules, so we didn't have to continually explain the usage of up to two Ubers per team. We all know that a lot of people that attend simply won't even read the majority of the rules... xD

Anyway, while at VGC I spoke with the likes of Osirus, Akiratron, Samus222, Kinneas and many others, a lot of people are interested and this is going to be awesome, really looking forward to it :)

Here's a bit more information on getting there:

Gamerbase Manchester is located in the heart of Manchester, on the lower ground floor of HMV at 90 Market Street.

Nearest Station
Manchester Piccadilly or Victoria

Address: Inside HMV, 90 Market Street, Manchester M1 1PD

Telephone: 0161 8348550

Opening Hours:
Monday - Saturday: 9:00am - 8:00pm
Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm

Link to full City Centre Map

I much prefer the old VGC rules to the new ones, solely as it prevents everyone running around with ubers, so out of the two I am glad you picked the older ones :).

However I do kinda wish Sleep, Freeze clause etc were implemented, as well as bans on perhaps Lati@s, which I can see being heavily used. Even so, I'm not gonna complain, the rules are still pretty good, and I've now formed a team by them.

There's a train going from the station up the road from my house, straight to manchester victoria on the hour, which only takes about 45 minutes from what I can gather, so I should be attending, as long as I can keep enough cash to get there / food / entry etc.

I'm looking forward to this, should be a pretty fun day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)