Undershot- An OU warstory

My first warstory, I’ve been waiting for a truly close match on shoddy to warstory for a while and i think this defines "Close match" in every sense of the word.

I had been tweaking my most recent team for a few days and was still addressing the odd tweak here and there, so meet the team:

Opponent team will be posted at the end., all comments will be in Bold

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause

Parallel sent out Aerodactyl (lvl 100 Aerodactyl ?).
Scrubz sent out Azelf (lvl 100 Azelf).
Aerodactyl is exerting its pressure!
Hmm, Azelf’s are always rather versatile as a lead, which has always made them that much harder to predict, most commonly I’ve seen Trick and U-turn as the opening gambits, so I decided to play it safe and use Trick.

Aerodactyl used Taunt.
Azelf fell for the taunt!
Azelf used Explosion.
It's not very effective...
Aerodactyl lost 100% of its health.
Aerodactyl hung on using its Focus Sash!
Scrubz's Azelf fainted.
That, I didn’t expect, obviously my opponent hadn’t anticipated Focus Sash or he had already guessed at a taunt lead and thought his Azelf to be useless, either way, setting up stealth rock was in jeopardy if his switch in had priority.
6-5
1% - 0%

Scrubz switched in Electivire (lvl 100 Electivire ?).
Aerodactyl used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
Electivire used Thunderpunch.
It's super effective!
Aerodactyl lost 0% of its health.
Parallel's Aerodactyl fainted.
One Glance at my team, one thing may strike you, I have a certain lack of things that can comfortably use EQ against an Electivre, my normal strategy against electrics was roosting with salamence, then EQ when my health was high enough, but taking into account Electivire’s monstrous stats, I wasn’t sure how that’d go…

5-5
0% - 100%

Parallel switched in Salamence (lvl 100 Salamence ?).
Salamence's Intimidate cut Electivire's attack!
Electivire used Ice Punch.
It's super effective!
Salamence lost 95% of its health.
Salamence used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Electivire lost 100% of its health.
Scrubz's Electivire fainted.
Phew, that one worked out, but now I’d have to be wary if I didn’t want to lose my most potent attacking forces.

5-4
5% - 0%

Scrubz switched in Heatran (lvl 100 Heatran ?).
Pointed stones dug into Heatran.
Heatran lost 12% of its health.
Heatran used Dragon Pulse.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Salamence lost 5% of its health.
Parallel's Salamence fainted.
Danngit! Fearing Dragon Pulse, I’d gone EQ hoping to take it out, but it somehow outsped me! I was suspecting ScarfRan and was cursing myself for not switching earlier.

4-4
0% - 88%

Parallel switched in Infernape (lvl 100 Infernape ?).
Scrubz switched in Jirachi (lvl 100 Jirachi).
Pointed stones dug into Jirachi.
Jirachi lost 6% of its health.
Infernape used Close Combat.
Jirachi lost 54% of its health.
Infernape's defence was lowered.
Infernape's special defence was lowered.
Infernape lost 10% of its health.
Jirachi's leftovers restored its health a little!
Jirachi restored 6% of its health.
This switch actually looked to go in my favour, my Infernape had a
high EV investment in speed, and seeing as Jirachi’s are usually there to fill a defensive role, I’d have an easy KO on my hand here.
90% - 46%

Jirachi used Psychic.
It's super effective!
Infernape lost 90% of its health.
Parallel's Infernape fainted.
Jirachi's leftovers restored its health a little!
Jirachi restored 6% of its health.
Infernape down, this was starting to look bad, I’d misjudged the set and was now staring down a Jirchi preparing to Flinch-Hax my entire team!
3-4

0% - 52%

Parallel switched in Starmie (lvl 100 Starmie).
Starmie used Surf.
Jirachi lost 39% of its health.
Jirachi used Grass Knot.
It's super effective!
Starmie lost 76% of its health.
Jirachi's leftovers restored its health a little
!Jirachi restored 6% of its health.
My logic behind this switch was simple, Starmie being my only scarf’d member would go in, hit it with a powerful stab move for neutral and then see what the next turn would bring, and it had worked before. Sadly it looked like I was being too optimistic and had therefore suffered a lot of damage to one of the most valuable resources to my team.
24% - 19%

Starmie used Surf.Jirachi lost 19% of its health.Scrubz's Jirachi fainted. Well, at least I got the kill, I was starting to be a bit more wary of my opponent, I wasn’t being careful enough with key parts of my team and it was starting to cost me.
3-3
24% - 0%

Scrubz switched in Rotom-c (lvl 100 Rotom-c).
Pointed stones dug into Rotom-c.
Rotom-c lost 12% of its health.
Parallel switched in Jolteon (lvl 100 Jolteon ?).
Rotom-c used Leaf Storm.
Jolteon lost 41% of its health.
Rotom-c's special attack was harshly lowered.
Rotom-c's leftovers restored its health a little!
Rotom-c restored 6% of its health.
This was a lucky switch on my part here, having run Rotom-A in many team before I knew its counters off by heart, and I was running two of the best, and just switched in one of them. I just hoped my opponent didn’t know what I knew at this point.
59% - 96%

Jolteon used Shadow Ball.
It's super effective!Rotom-c lost 73% of its health.
Rotom-c used Will-o-wisp.
Jolteon was burned!
Jolteon was hurt by its burn!
Jolteon lost 12% of its health.
47% [Burn] - 23%

Jolteon used Shadow Ball.
A critical hit!
Heatran lost 43% of its health.
I was rather quite pleased at that point, I had dealt considerable damage to what was obviously mean to be a stall Rotom-A and dealt a lot of damage to the Heatran with a lucky crit, things were definitely looking up for me.
35% [Burn] - 33%

Parallel switched in Gengar (lvl 100 Gengar ?).
Gengar makes ground moves miss with Levitate!
Heatran used Earth Power.
Heatran's attack missed!
Now, rather than relying on my usual fail safe counter to Heatran, which is a failsafe switch in with Scarfmie, I though I’d take advantage of his low health and switch into Gengar, and it looks like it payed off.

100% - 45%

Scrubz switched in Rotom-c (lvl 100 Rotom-c).
Pointed stones dug into Rotom-c.
Rotom-c lost 12% of its health.
Gengar used Focus Blast.
Gengar's attack missed!
It looks like he was unwilling to lose his Heatran just yet, and successfully predicted focus blast by switching in Rotom-C, however, while this had saved his Heatran, he’d just switched in against one of the worst possible things! With superior speed, and stabbed Shadow ball, Rotom-A had just signed its own death warrant.
100% - 20%

Gengar used Shadow Ball.
It's super effective!
Rotom-c lost 20% of its health.
Scrubz's Rotom-c fainted.
And there we go, I was almost expecting a switch but I went shadow ball anyway knowing he wouldn’t switch back into Heatran and knowing it’s unlikely he had anything else that would resist it.

3-2

100% - 0%

Heatran used Fire Blast.
Gengar lost 81% of its health.
Gengar used Focus Blast.
Gengar's attack missed!
Gengar's leftovers restored its health a little!
Gengar restored 6% of its health.
And yet, here we are back with Heatran, it seemed to me he was unwilling to reveal what he had left prematurely, luckily for him, Focus Blast missed.
26% - 21%

Heatran used Fire Blast.Gengar lost 26% of its health.
Parallel's Gengar fainted.
Maybe I should’ve switched? To be honest, I thought it was more important to give Starmie a clean run at Heatran and just hope whatever came in after that took neutral from whatever move I picked then, but that’s not quite what happened…

2-2
0% - 21%

Scrubz switched in Salamence (lvl 100 Salamence ?).
Salamence's Intimidate cut Starmie's attack!
Pointed stones dug into Salamence.
Salamence lost 25% of its health.
Starmie used Surf.
Salamence lost 29% of its health.
He finally decided to reveal whatever was left, and it was Salamence. Now, I have a dilemma here… Heatran is on low health, but in the mean time I need to take out a 75% health Salamence without a clue what moveset its running. My options are suicide with Starmie, and hope a thunderbolt from Jolteon is also enough to take out Heatran, or switch into Jolteon and get a clear run at whatevers left with Starmie. Needless to say my heart was racing as I desperately made an impossible decision…

24% - 46%

Parallel switched in Jolteon (lvl 100 Jolteon ?).
Salamence used Dragon Dance.
Salamence's attack was raised.Salamence's speed was raised.
Well damn, there’s no way Jolteon will be able to get a hit in if Salamence goes offensive, but if he does, Salamence will have no chance against ScarfMie.

23% [Burn] - 46%

Salamence used Outrage.
Salamence went on a rampage!
Jolteon lost 23% of its health.
Parallel's Jolteon fainted.
Salamence lost 10% of its health.
1-2

0% - 37%

Starmie used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Salamence lost 37% of its health.
Scrubz's Salamence fainted.
I wasn’t too surprised from this, but I came to the realisation that it’s a ScarfMie stuck in Ice Beam against Heatran, and that it’s all down to the luck of the RNG as to whether this next hit will result in glorious victory, of humiating defeat!
1-1
24% - 0%

At his point, too scared to click attack I’m thinking to myself “7% surely Ice Beam can do 7%..”
24% - 7%

Starmie used Ice Beam.It's not very effective...Heatran lost 7% of its health.
Yes! Victory! The sweet taste comes through it truly the closest match of my life!

1-0
Heatran used Dragon Pulse.
Starmie lost 24% of its health.
Parallel's Starmie fainted.
Scrubz wins!
0-1
What is this? I took of 7%, but he still had 1% remaining!! He hung on by no more than a couple of HP, I gazed blankly at the screen as I saw Heatran smirking stupidly back at me, 1% is what determined the outcome of that match. I breathed a sigh, heart still pounding. I think even as I improve, and finally reach the “average” Shoddy rating of the 1400’s and play harder, more tactical matches, this will always be the closest game I’ve ever played.

Anyway! Kudos to Scrubz! Here’s his team:

Match Report:
Ok, here are my thoughts on the match.

-Firstly, my prediction is the reason i am not a brilliant player, but practice is improvement
-Secondly, even if you hang on by a thread, that thread is still there, and one should not complain about it, it happens, and i found my self quickly congatulating my opponent for such an intense match.
-A match that reveal a squads weaknesses are much more important than the ones where you win.
-Salamence is a beast.
-A match that isnt between the greatest tactical minds can still be entertaining, i hope.

And finnaly, match Kudos to award.
-My opponent, Scrubz, for being an excellent sport and letting me post this match.
-ScarfMie, i aplogize for making squad Nine without you.
-Salamence, for being a best. (Here's to good health in Ubers.)
-Jirachi, for not using Iron Head.
-Smogon, for giving me a place to post this.
-My wrist, for putting up with me writing and formatting this.
-You! For taking the time to read my first Warstory!

Lots of spelling errors and to be honest, the battle wasn't too good. Just because it's close doesn't mean it makes for a good warstory battle. There were a lot of battle errors too.

That being said, the layout is very nice for a first attempt. The comments are pretty decent too, but I suggest embellishing on them a little more. My suggestions are to read a couple archived warstories and experience the metagame a little more...they're rare, but another opportunity for a warstory will rise up.

Also, you happened to post a warstory the same time as another user made a really REALLY good one, so maybe I'm just biased :P

I look forward to your next warstory, and thanks for the read! Good luck with your future battles and warstories. 7/10

The format is ok, but the comments are lacking and both of you have a lack of knowledge of the metagame

Thanks for the constructive critisism, i'll take this into account when looking for my next warstory and not trust MS word when it comes to spotting my spelling errors :P

Not a whole lot of strategy going on, with 2 leads, 9 sweepers, and one semi-defensive Rotom in the match. The fast pace made it an exciting battle, but not necessarily an interesting one.

Btw:

Choice Scarf Starmie Ice Beam vs Choice Scarf Heatran: 6.8% - 8.4% (maybe a KO)
Choice Scarf Starmie Thunderbolt vs Dragon Dance Salamence: 35% - 41.1% (maybe a KO)
Choice Scarf Starmie Psychic vs Dragon Dance Salamence: 49.8% - 58.9% (always a KO)
Choice Scarf Starmie Psychic vs Choice Scarf Heatran: 20.1% - 23.8% (always a KO)

I don't know what moves you had on Starmie, but Psychic would have won you the match, with Ice Beam and Thunderbolt giving you about equal chances of victory. Lesson: the super effective move is not always the best one.

The comments were ok, with some planning starting to show through toward the end of the match. 6/10

Jirachi outsped your Infernape WITHOUT a scarf. You were running a neutral speed nature on Infernape, or nowhere near 252.

5/10, I liked parts, but that just ruined it for me.

Don't be discouraged about playing, it takes practice. Play a bunch more and get better, and impress us!

There wasn't very many predictions or switching at all really, choose a better battle next time. Comments were a little lacking too.

That said, the format was good and it's not the worst first attempt I've seen. I look forward to a better effort from you in the future.

Sort out your Infernape's EV's though......

The SPrinkLer

Banned deucer.
This was basically an exchange of moves thrown out to kill the pokemon you're up against with no prediction whatsoever. This doesn't make a close match. A close match is two teams trying to find holes in the opponents team, hoping for any crack to win. This match was just bleh. Good luck next time.

Aerodactyl used Taunt.
Azelf fell for the taunt!
Azelf used Explosion.
Aerodactyl lost 100% of its health.
Aerodactyl hung on using its Focus Sash!
6-5
I would've stopped reading there, but I decided to endure reading the rest of the battle...

1% - 0%

Scrubz switched in Electivire (lvl 100 Electivire ?).
Only to hit the back button 10 seconds later.

I would've stopped reading there, but I decided to endure reading the rest of the battle...

Only to hit the back button 10 seconds later.
And yet you were still somehow in the topic to post.

After the recent surge of GOOD warstories, I was feeling a little spoiled coming into this one. It's not bad... it's just not good. Sort out your EVs (mence should be +speed these days, infernape should be fast enough to outspeed base 100s).

After you do that, hit the ladder again, and keep trying. Your formatting was nice and you have potential.

Um...this may soudny n00bish, but how in the world did Jirachi outspeed Infernape without Choice Scarf? I mean Infernape's run enough speed to outpace base 100s....and Electivire outrunning Mence? Um...unless Mence was OldMixMence....I dunno how it could've outspeeded.

Disappointing kind of. The ending was I guess tense but the entire match was thought without thinking and just pure offence not taking time to think predict play to your team's advantage. 3/5

I think people are being way to harsh on you. Yea so what, it was a mediocre battle, but you still put the effort in to write a war story. I would assume you didn't spend a half-hour/forty five minutes writing the story to be criticized.

The more battles you have, the better you'll get. Keep working at it.

I think people are being way to harsh on you. Yea so what, it was a mediocre battle, but you still put the effort in to write a war story. I would assume you didn't spend a half-hour/forty five minutes writing the story to be criticized.

The more battles you have, the better you'll get. Keep working at it.
Agreed you put loads of effort into it and it shows but all I'm saying is the battle was lacklustre I still appreciate your work I never take for granted how much effort goes into a warstory. Sorry if it came across that way in the comment above.

A sweeping battle with 20 turns is not a good battle to choose for a warstory. There were close to zero predictions, the format was kind of nice though. 6/10

battle wasn't very interesting, could have better commentary, but it's nice you gave yourself a chance to practice
good luck; im still drifting around learning

Read Smogon sets lol. Things like maxing speed on Infernape make a huge difference. Didn't really keep reading past there.

Oh, and Mence should max speed as well. DDMence just uses EQ and OHKOs Electivire.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)