UnderUsed Teambuilding Competition Week #13 - Scizor

Congrats to Twilight for winning the first teambuilding competition of SV UU! I guess being the project's old host makes you good at this kind of thing :psysly: . Thank you for all the submissions, everyone! Let's keep this activity going for our next subject, which is none other than the OG Ghost:

Gengar

Gengar needs no introduction in terms of popularity, but it is an absolute star competitively, too! Gengar sports a massive Special Attack stat of 130, and base 110 Speed to take advantage of this. It has excellent STAB moves and coverage to threaten whatever Pokemon it might be facing, and can opt to further bolster its offensive potential with items like Choice Specs and Life Orb, or using Nasty Plot. Gengar can also choose to run a Choice Scarf instead, ensuring that almost nothing outspeeds it. Alternatively, Gengar can take advantage of its massive utility movepool with moves like Destiny Bond, Disable, Encore, Substitute, Taunt, and Will-O-Wisp. It can combine these options with its STABs to still be a threat to offensive Pokemon while abusing defensive Pokemon more than usual. For all its incredible advantages, however, Gengar does have some weaknesses. For one, its physical bulk is miserable, making it crumple to many forms of priority like Bisharp's Sucker Punch and Azumarill's Aqua Jet. Gengar's typing also gives it weaknesses to common attacking types in Ground, Ghost, Psychic, and Dark, which can make it difficult to switch Gengar in safely. Finally, while Gengar is naturally fast, it is not the naturally fastest Pokemon around. Offensive Pokemon like Hawlucha, Barraskewda, and Weavile, as well as Choice Scarf users like Gallade and Hydreigon, can cramp its style and prevent Gengar from sweeping. Gengar is still a menace and a half, though, and I'm excited to see what teams we can make with it!

Teambuilding Restrictions:
  • The team should be built in the Scarlet and Violet UnderUsed format.
  • The team must include Gengar.
Submission Deadline: Friday, December 16, 2022 @ 11:59 PM EST (GMT-5).

Here we have the Double Gremlin Balance. gengar and grafaiai are goobers
:grafaiai: :gengar: :slither wing: :scream tail: :donphan: :rotom-wash:

It's a simple structure that focuses on bringing in Gengar and Slither Wing as much as possible to cause as much havoc as possible.
Scream tail keeps donphan and rotom healthy while making sure the team does not crumble to Espathra and other setup. It also generally checks physical attackers such as Weavile.
Donphan compresses rocks and removal, while also checking Bisharp.
Rotom pivots and checks kilowattrel and keeps rain from 6-0ing you. I chose Thunder Wave over Will-O to give Slitherin an easier time spamming CC.
slither wing gives strong uturn
Grafaiai. little monkey man. cripples setup even more with prankter encore.

Askov

Explode
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion
:sv/gengar: :sv/talonflame: :sv/tsareena: :sv/grafaiai: :sv/gastrodon: :sv/tinkaton:

(click on the pokes for the pokepaste)

pretty basic team structure but with some interesting details and sinergies

- talonflame and tsareena baits in stuff like slowtwins, quag and brambleghast for gengar
- grafaiai helps against setup spam teams
- slowking would be an easier solution to make gengar and grafaiai even more effective by safely bringing them through chilly reception but gastro was needed for an elec immunity and using rocks on it i could free up a slot on tinkaton and use a sd set
- sd brick break tinkaton is useful to not only help with tera steel hydreigon but also avoid being trapped easily by magnezone and can possibly bait in bisharp so that gengar can freely click its STABs
- tera ghost is used on talon mostly to be a back up check for sd normal tera lucario but tera flying can be used if you think that you can handle lucario
- although you dont really use your tera on tsareena, fire is an option to possibly avoid getting burned by flame body

:gengar: :haxorus: :rotom-wash: :wo-chien: :brambleghast: :tauros-paldea-water:
click on the sprites for the team

i debated on putting indeedee for psychic surge because of all the grafaiais and priority, but decided against it and made this. Fr tho i will grab thatt monkey and toss it back to the jungle /lh

:gengar:
Gengar is your standard specs set, nothing interesting there. Of course does its job in trying to break holes into the opposing team for its fellow sweepers. Tera Fighting is an option for it to tank Dark Pulses, but that means you're gonna be vulnerable to ESpeed.

:haxorus:
Why did nobody tell me this thing got Iron Head. This is SS OU Theorymon's nightmare (shameless petmod plug). I had Salamence before this, and it wasn't really hitting hard enough. Haxorus on the other hand with its base 147 ATK is monstrous. You DD once and you're practically sweeping. Expert Belt is for more damage, but the item is pretty much flexible at best. Either way, Tinkaton no more.

:rotom-wash:
In UU once again. Your average pivot that deals with Talonflame, one of if not the most annoying burn spreaders. Since it lost Pain Split, I slotted in Hydro Pump for damage. But you can also use Thunder Wave to cripple opposing Pokémon.

:wo-chien:
Can you tell I got tired with Grafaiai? I also got tired of Quagsires and Brambleghasts, and Wo-Chien counter those two perfectly. You'll have to be wary of a Toxic from the former though. Still, it's a solid wall that chips down the opponent with Leech Seed and Ruination.

:brambleghast:
Speaking of Brambleghast, Wind Rider is so damn good. Being able to just nullify Hurricanes is great, to the point where I've seen Kilowattrels being forced to use Air Slash in their moveset instead. Nothing else to say here, just your average "I block your spin while i spin".

:tauros-paldea-water:
My other setup sweeper. Intimidate is always a useful ability and its access to bulk up makes it stronger and bulkier on the physical side. I have Tera Water for extra Aqua Jet damage mainly, but Wave Crash hitting hard is good too. Fighting/Water coverage has no resists so it's comfortable with what it has right now.

Birds of a feather; BO offense moxie spam.
:Gengar:/:Talonflame:/:Quagsire:/:Espathra:/:Honchkrow:/:Salamence:

Starting off, classic Gengar. Specs can be swapped out for scarf if you find yourself running into Indeedee Espathra cores and have trouble shutting it down. Trick + Nasty plot really helps vs fatter teams, as you don't have to sacrifice the power of specs in the long run in order to cripple a wall. If you find yourself relying on TFlame's WoW a lot, then hex is another viable option.

TFlame is a great physdef midground given how popular Slither Wing is right now. Punishes spinners like Brableghast, Tsareena and Toedscruel while keeping your own hazards off. Tera Ghost to block spinners who you think are going to ignore flame body repercussions and just go for it.

Quag is spdef midground, hazard setter, and electric immune. Could be swapped out for Gastrodon without spikes if you want a safer team, but I think stacking hazards is much more effective to make use of the moxie users. Walls washtom. Tera Steel for more defensive capabilities should you need it. If you're opting for hex on Gengar, consider tspikes over spikes.

Espathra is just a staple at this point. You know who it is, you know what it does. Moving on.

Banded Honchkrow is something I experimented with back in Gen 7. With a dark tera, banded moxie sucker punch can pretty quickly get out of control, but you sacrifice the possibility of mind games. Life Orb is another viable option here. Slow U-turns are also pretty decent at getting momentum, though Honchkrow's mediocre movepool and lack of a good physical dark STAB is definitely felt.

Opting for DD Moxie Mence since honestly, scarf on mence is pretty mediocre, which is an insane thing to actually read, but Dragon/Flying is not the greatest coverage for a scarf set. Fire fang is an option over DWB to cover Tera steel Hydreigon, though you can just as easily opt for Tera Electric to help cover waters.

Overall, just a fun offense team if you're looking to use Gengar. Generally straightforward to pilot and doesn't require 400 bajillion outplays just to position something, and is pretty forgiving of misplays. Handles a lot of the meta pretty well but still hates stuff like Cloyster, Florges, Webs HO, and that one dude who wont stop running mono choice with Krookodile.

Last edited:

Corperate n

my bowels turned watery
is a Tiering Contributor
:Azumarill: :Brambleghast: :Sandy Shocks: :Bisharp: :Noivern: :Gengar:

https://pokepast.es/81594e182295a4d3

Hi all, my team is a BO with scarf gar. Scarf is probably gar's best set rn, though admittedly I have not tried many others. It does exactly what you want an offensive ghost type to do, which is to come in a bunch of times and click shadow ball, which is famously not easy to switch into. I also love trick. The rest of the team is just good mons that work well, most of them standard. I'm a bramble beliver through and through, and my attack of choice right now is power whip to truly beat quag/strodon. Leftorvers sandy shocks isn't anything crazy but I haven't seen anyone else using it. I like having just a little more freedom to use shock's decent defensive util. I think if I didn't have such a reliable spinner then boost would be better on it. Noivern would be good with uturn too, but cane is just super clickable, so I like it. Enjoy pls.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)