Unpopular opinions

i always thought it hilarious some of the move access Lapras, Starmie, and Weezing got, things like Thunderbolt (Flamethrower makes at least a lil sense for Weezing since he's comprised of gas) and such (esp earlier gens/remakes of)

obv my sig says I'm a Weezing stan so I appreciate the lob [to make a lil more viable for playthroughs] but all those getting that move and certain others made no sense lmao.
one of those "it's only unpopular cus it's right, but no one will say it cus we all appreciate it" lmao.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
i always thought it hilarious some of the move access Lapras, Starmie, and Weezing got, things like Thunderbolt (Flamethrower makes at least a lil sense for Weezing since he's comprised of gas) and such (esp earlier gens/remakes of)

obv my sig says I'm a Weezing stan so I appreciate the lob [to make a lil more viable for playthroughs] but all those getting that move and certain others made no sense lmao.
one of those "it's only unpopular cus it's right, but no one will say it cus we all appreciate it" lmao.
The weird thing is Lapras losing Solarbeam after Gen I (transfer aside). Like, Thunderbolt, Psychic, Nightmare, and Curse are fine but a Grass move? Nah, too much. And you'd think Starmie of all things should get Solarbeam too.

Lapras is described as stealth mystical/hyper intelligent, so Psychic and ghost moves don't seem off
Thunderbolt one can argue cuz of having a built in lightningrod (horn)

So Solarbeam seems off...as nothing indicates it needs to sun bask for a marine reptiles

.....which makes Starmie having Tbolt makes NO sense
Starmie I think is half "Psychic have Special Pools like Normals" and half "is it a Fish or an Alien" thing from its Stadium Dex entry for having Thunderbolt.

On the topic of Water-type stuff, I feel like Wave Crash was an unnecessary physical Water addition. Compared to physical Fire, Flare Blitz is the only true choice physically-attacking Fire types usually have (unless they get Sacred Fire, but why would GF do that?) because (almost) every other physical Fire move is garb — and compared to physical Grass, Wood Hammer has Leaf Blade that it keeps an eye on because it has a competent enough 90 BP that can keep up with Wood Hammer's 120 BP. Wave Crash's ~50% jump in base power means Liquidation and especially Waterfall become difficult to consider on a mon that happens to learn all three like Floatzel (which has a small enough physical movepool to sometimes actually have room for both Wave Crash and Liquidation/Waterfall). I would have rather seen a Water-type Overheat/Leaf Storm clone instead.

At least they could have kept Wave Crash stuck in Legends: Arceus like Ice Ball, Silver Wind, and Ominous Wind.

On the topic of Water-type stuff, I feel like Wave Crash was an unnecessary physical Water addition. Compared to physical Fire, Flare Blitz is the only true choice physically-attacking Fire types usually have (unless they get Sacred Fire, but why would GF do that?) because (almost) every other physical Fire move is garb — and compared to physical Grass, Wood Hammer has Leaf Blade that it keeps an eye on because it has a competent enough 90 BP that can keep up with Wood Hammer's 120 BP. Wave Crash's ~50% jump in base power means Liquidation and especially Waterfall become difficult to consider on a mon that happens to learn all three like Floatzel (which has a small enough physical movepool to actually have room for both Wave Crash and Liquidation/Waterfall). I would have rather seen a Water-type Overheat/Leaf Storm clone instead, like the romhack Pokémon Vega had (and Procyon/Deneb by that extension), in which the Overheat/Leaf Storm clone move was called Deluge.

At least they could have kept Wave Crash stuck in Legends: Arceus like Ice Ball, Silver Wind, and Ominous Wind.
Wait.....
Aren't rom talking banned? Regardless wave crash was kinda unnecessary I agree. Water was already good enough

Last edited:
Wait.....
Aren't rom talking banned? Regardless wave crash was kinda unnecessary
Aren't roms like not open for dis
...I don't think discussion of Pokémon rom(-)hacks isn't allowed because there's a thread in this sub-forum that brings up the mention of them quite often — but definitely not ROMs of official Pokémon games (including but not limited to distribution of them).
Regardless, I edited the rom(-)hack mention out.

Last edited:
On the topic of Water-type stuff, I feel like Wave Crash was an unnecessary physical Water addition. Compared to physical Fire, Flare Blitz is the only true choice physically-attacking Fire types usually have (unless they get Sacred Fire, but why would GF do that?) because (almost) every other physical Fire move is garb — and compared to physical Grass, Wood Hammer has Leaf Blade that it keeps an eye on because it has a competent enough 90 BP that can keep up with Wood Hammer's 120 BP. Wave Crash's ~50% jump in base power means Liquidation and especially Waterfall become difficult to consider on a mon that happens to learn all three like Floatzel (which has a small enough physical movepool to sometimes actually have room for both Wave Crash and Liquidation/Waterfall). I would have rather seen a Water-type Overheat/Leaf Storm clone instead.

I think Wave Crash works fine as a signature move for the Basculin line even outside of Legends since they're heavily associated with recoil moves, but I agree that it's overbearing for a non-signature move.

i don't mind overbearing moves When the distribution is low and mostly to pokémons who could use the boost - it's not like floatzel was already this incredible threat who became even better with wave crash. also, recoil is an effective enough drawback - in fact, so effective that the weaker wild charge is largely considered a bad move because of it. floatzel doesn't mind because it won't survive hits anyway, but dondozo also has it and basically never uses it. i don't want it to become a TM or anything, but it existing on some mons is fine. there are more overbearing moves out there imo

While sometimes moves are hard to figure out why certain stuff learns it and others don't, Wave Crash is shockingly transparent. It shows up on Basculin and Empoleon(the only mons to get it in LA), a couple mons that suck(Floatzel, Bruxish), and Paldean Tauros, Quaqueval, Palafin, and Dondozo. So it's basically purely a way to give new mons a powerful move so that they'll be relevant. There's no greater flavor reason to consider, and conversely it doesn't end up on every new Water, just physical attackers. The question is "were these mons introduced after the move was and do they want a powerful physical water STAB"? If so, they get Wave Crash. Otherwise, it's Surf/Waterfall.

While sometimes moves are hard to figure out why certain stuff learns it and others don't, Wave Crash is shockingly transparent. It shows up on Basculin and Empoleon(the only mons to get it in LA), a couple mons that suck(Floatzel, Bruxish), and Paldean Tauros, Quaqueval, Palafin, and Dondozo. So it's basically purely a way to give new mons a powerful move so that they'll be relevant. There's no greater flavor reason to consider, and conversely it doesn't end up on every new Water, just physical attackers. The question is "were these mons introduced after the move was and do they want a powerful physical water STAB"? If so, they get Wave Crash. Otherwise, it's Surf/Waterfall.
I'm expecting Feraligatr and possibly Swampert to pick it up next week too. Mostly Feraligatr, since it hasn't had a proper moveset in the Switch era yet, and Chip Away no longer exists meaning it's got an open move slot at level 37. BDSP put Low Kick there, but SV has ignored BDSP's moveset adjustments entirely and it wasn’t even a new move, Low Kick's an egg move for the Totodile line.

I'm expecting Feraligatr and possibly Swampert to pick it up next week too. Mostly Feraligatr, since it hasn't had a proper moveset in the Switch era yet, and Chip Away no longer exists meaning it's got an open move slot at level 37. BDSP put Low Kick there, but SV has ignored BDSP's moveset adjustments entirely and it wasn’t even a new move, Low Kick's an egg move for the Totodile line.
Doesn't really make too much of a difference for Feraligatr imo, its running sflo liquidation anyways

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
As a fellow Feraligatr fan I also think it would be pretty neat if it gained access to Wave Crash and/or Jet Punch, even if Jet Punch feels more like a better fit for something like Swampert by comparison.

Speaking of starter Pokémon and signature moves, I also think Meowscarada should learn Wicked Blow. It sounds crazy at first, but then you remember Flower Trick is pretty much just Grass-Type Wicked Blow anyways so it just kind of works as possible dual STAB.

Speaking of starter Pokémon and signature moves, I also think Meowscarada should learn Wicked Blow. It sounds crazy at first, but then you remember Flower Trick is pretty much just Grass-Type Wicked Blow anyways so it just kind of works as possible dual STAB.
But if we give Wicked Blow to another Pokémon, wouldn't it make sense for Surging Strikes to also end up on a Starter Pokémon's movelist, e.g. Feraligatr?
You can't have one move getting wider distribution and not its counterpart.
Ho-Oh's Sacred Fire is a weird exception, so GF, please give Lugia's Aeroblast to one of the Legendary Birds for the sake of parity.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
But if we give Wicked Blow to another Pokémon, wouldn't it make sense for Surging Strikes to also end up on a Starter Pokémon's movelist, e.g. Feraligatr?
You can't have one move getting wider distribution and not its counterpart.
Ho-Oh's Sacred Fire is a weird exception, so GF, please give Lugia's Aeroblast to one of the Legendary Birds for the sake of parity.
I’d personally give Aeroblast for Articuno, since it would help it’s less than impressive Special Attack compared to Zapdos and Moltres.

Other than that, I would be against having Legendaries’ moves distributed for regular ‘mons, as it’ll get rid of one of the reasons why Legendary Pokémon are unique and legendary.

Last edited:
orrrr do neither and leave it as is cause we don't need every fucking pokemon to be the next Calyrex.
Wdym by next Calyrex I assume I mean calyrex rider forms since normal calyrex sucks, but giving solid rock or some variant of it to meganium doesn’t make it broken like is that period broken? Hell no. Just making supereffective moves deal slightly less damage doesn’t change it too much just a minor buff overall

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 7, Guests: 3)