OU USUM OU Victim of the Week! Week 13: Rain Sweeper Mega Swampert

clematis

formerly EdDaBoss
Hi everyone! Been really late keeping on track of this, which I apologise for. Anyway.
Congratulations to trainer_j0nathan for Magearna winning this week's check and to AcneAutist for Mega Scizor winning this week's counter! I'll add your sets to the Hall of Fame shortly.
1712654890453.png

Week 12: Choice Scarf Landorus-Therian

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 232 Atk / 68 Def / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Defog​

Choice Scarf Landorus-Therian is an excellent pivot owing to very high speed when boosted by a Choice Scarf, access to U-Turn, and STAB Earthquake backed up by a very good base 145 Attack stat. Stone Edge rounds out Landorus-T's neutral coverage, and gives it an option vs Pokemon such as Zapdos or Tornadus-T, while Defog can allow it to act as emergency hazard removal for a weakened team. In addition, two key immunities in Electric and Ground allow Landorus to switch in against a variety of predicted moves to gain momentum for its team. Intimidate is an excellent ability to have, allowing Landorus to neutralise or outright shut down certain physical attackers such as Mega Lopunny without Power-Up Punch, Excadrill, or Tyranitar. However, Landorus is weak to two very common attaking types in Water and Ice, and a lot of Pokemon will run coverage options such as Ice Punch or Ice Beam specifically to capitalise on this and its shared typing with Gliscor, another solid Pokemon.

Can you find a check or a counter to this set? You have 6 days to submit your answers, with submissions ending on Monday 15th April. If you wish, you may submit both a check and a counter, though you are of course allowed to submit one or the other if you please.

Best of luck!

j0nathan

formerly trainer_j0nathan
Check:
:SM/swampert-mega:
Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Torrent (Swift Swim after Mega Evolution)
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock
Mega Swampert is a counter in rain but I'm just gonna submit it as a check. Clematis, you can change that up if you think it's fine as a counter. Swampert can take earthquake pretty well (46.9 - 55.7%) and hit back with ice punch (115.3 - 136.6%). Liquidation only kills with adamant or when rain is up. That's it.

Last edited:
Check
:sm/tapu bulu:
Tapu Bulu @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 192 HP / 216 Atk / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Leech Seed
- Superpower
- Horn Leech
Tapu Bulu is a check to lando-t. With this ev spread, it can fully ko lando-t with a wood hammer, while being able to take two stone edges all the time, and potentially being able to take three (unless you are very unlucky, its a 0.1% to 3hit ko). Superpower allows tapu bulu to deal with steel types such as ferrothorn that may be in its way, while leech seed allows it to capitalise on switchs with some passive healing, making it a lot more difficult to get off the field. Horn leech is just good stab that doesn't ko yourself with recoil, and can help with recovering health on tapu bulu. Fightinium Z allows it to use a really powerful fighting type nuke that doesn't lower its defenses.

Counter
:sm/buzzwole:
Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Level: 100
Impish Nature
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 Spe
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Roost
- Bulk Up
Buzzwole is a counter to lando-t. With lefties, stone edge is a possible 7hit ko, so its not doing much. Buzzwole can roost off the damage easily and start bulking up. Then it can use ice punch, which at neutral has about a 40% chance to ohko outright. With one boost, it will always ko. Drain punch is stab for buzz and can mean it can get out of hand really easily if left unchecked, especially if it takes a ko since beast boost means its defense stat will be getting higher and higher. The speed evs means it outspeeds neutral tyranitar and speed ties things such as heatran, which is very nice. (I really got to start playing SM again to use this set, seems like such a fun tier).

Last edited:

DaRotomMachine

I COULD BE BANNED!
Counter: :weavile:
Weavile @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

I read somewhere that Weavile can flat out just KO Lando-T with Ice Shard but just in case I'm gonna use Focus Sash.

clematis

formerly EdDaBoss
Nominating Skarmory as a counter

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Counter

Simple stuff. Hard walls Landorus with Roost and Counter spam while stacking up Rocky Helmet damage to punish its pivots around with U-Turn and being immune to Earthquake.

Nominating Greninja as a check

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 164 Atk / 92 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Spikes

Also simple stuff. Outspeeds and OHKOs Lando with Ice Beam, but is allergic to taking a hit back, so check.

Garchomp @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Swords Dance

Check: Garchomp can often just blow it away with z move, if you switch into defog or stone edge then its free setup for you. It is a very good check esp at punishing poor choice locks

252 Atk Garchomp Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 0 HP / 68 Def Landorus-Therian: 313-370 (98.1 - 115.9%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
232 Atk Landorus-Therian Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 61-72 (17 - 20.1%) -- possible 5HKO
232 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 183-216 (51.2 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 60 SpD / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Toxic

Counter: 232 Atk Landorus-Therian Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 64 Def Gliscor: 91-108 (25.7 - 30.5%) -- possible 5HKO after Poison Heal

ur not doing shit to gliscor esp with roost and you are just going to be wasting stone edge PP all the while and you can keep rocks up the entire time whileyou are doing so

clematis

formerly EdDaBoss
Alright, voting is now closed. Thanks everyone for the submissions!

1713216935201.gif

Checks:
:swampert-mega: Mega Swampert by trainer_j0nathan
:tapu-bulu: Tapu Bulu by Heatranator
:greninja: Choice Scarf Greninja by clematis
:garchomp: Dragonium Z Garchomp by HydreigonTheChild

Counters:
:buzzwole: Defensive Buzzwole by Heatranator
:landorus-therian: Choice Scarf Landorus-Therian by Astoria
:weavile: Focus Sash Weavile by DaRotomMachine
:skarmory: Rocky Helmet Skarmory by clematis
:gliscor: Gliscor by HydreigonTheChild​

You have four days to vote, ending on Friday 19th April. You may vote for TWO CHECKS and TWO COUNTERS this week!!!11!1!! (mainly due to the crazy high number of submissions, nice work folks! :D )

I will add the winners to the Hall of Fame at the end of the voting phase.

Best of luck to all submissions!

clematis

formerly EdDaBoss
Alright, voting is now closed. Thanks everyone for your votes :D (and apologies for being one day late on this, I'm very bad at timekeeping LOL)

Congratulations to Heatranator for both this week's check and counter, winning with Tapu Bulu and Buzzwole! I'll add your sets to the Hall of Fame shortly.
1713609468849.png

Week 13: Rain Sweeper Mega Swampert

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock
With a crazy high 150 Attack and Swift Swim to boot, Mega Swampert under Rain is a dangerous presence. High-powered STAB moves in Waterfall and Earthquake are rounded out by Ice Punch to target down flying-types such as Zapdos and Tornadus-T which are immune to Earthquake, in addition to catching Kommo-O and Tangrowth out. Stealth Rock rounds out the set, letting Swampert punish the switches it forces. Under Rain, Swampert's Speed is doubled thanks to Swift Swim, allowing it to outspeed a vast chunk of the metagame and hit hard with its STAB moves. 100/110/110 defenses are also not insignificant, allowing Swampert to take a surprising number of hits before going down, combined with a superb defensive typing in Water/Ground.
Can you find a check or a counter to this set? You have 6 days to submit your answers, with submissions ending on Friday 26th April. If you wish, you may submit both a check and a counter, though you are of course allowed to submit one or the other if you please.

Best of luck!

Rotom-Wash @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Defog

check:I think washing machine is the safest way to transfer his pm
focus Punch is the only intuitive skill Water Dog can create for Rotom-Wash, but it also requires 3ko

252 Atk Mega Swampert Focus Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 125-148 (41.2 - 48.8%) -- 99.9% chance to 3HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery

I carry half the blood fruit can transfer him many times but he can't do anything to face me None of his skills can do direct damage to me

clematis

formerly EdDaBoss
zinnias challenge accepted. Buzzwole as a counter.

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 Spe
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Bulk Up
- Ice Punch
- Roost

Simple (and hilarious) stuff. Swampert does an absolute max of 38% to unboosted Buzz, letting it switch directly into Stealth Rock AND a Rain-boosted Waterfall, eat another Waterfall and click Roost, then alternate Bulk Up and Roost until nothing is breaking through. Unboosted Drain Punch does about a third of Swampert's HP and with Bulk Up behind it has a chance to 2HKO. Long as you're sensible with the Roosts, Swampy isn't breaking through.

zinnias

formerly AcneAutist
is a Pre-Contributor
Hmm okay I’ll go for
Serperior @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 208 HP / 48 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Taunt
- Glare
- Defog
as a check. I think a really cool person called zinnias once wrote in the analysis “208 HP EVs in conjunction with 48 Defense EVs allow Serperior to survive rain-boosted Waterfall followed by Ice Punch from Jolly Mega Swampert.”

This thing is honestly hard not to fit on hyper offense teams, esp since swamp can often kinda cleave through

I believe counters to MPert’s lucky ass are very few, but there’s no argument that
Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
is among the best counters you can have, with Earthquake having a 1.7% chance to 4HKO.

Check
:sm/charizard mega y:
Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Solar Beam
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Focus Blast
Mega Charizard Y is a check to Mega Swampert. It does have to be careful of stealth rocks and if swampert hits it on the switch with waterfall, but as the definition of a check is given a free switch, mega charizard y should be fine. From here, it mega evolves and stops any rain shenanigans going on that may let mega swampert outspeed it and hit it with a hard solar beam, while also meaning it can take one waterfall from it if rocks are not up. The rest of the moves are just standard.
Counter
:sm/tangrowth:
Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sludge Bomb
Tangrowth is a counter to swampert. I was going to do celesteela, but it suprisingly didn't ohko it with a energy ball without heavy investment. Now, technically giga drain has a 32% chance not to ohko swampert, but due to rocky helmet, if it uses ice punch or waterfall when its hitting tangrowth on the switch in or when tangrowth is attacking, then it will always ko. Tangrowth can also regen some of the damage off, though it most likely doesn't need to as ice punch is only a guarenteed 4hit ko.

Last edited:
:bw/alomomola:
Alomomola @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect
Alomomola is a counter to Swampert mega not as good as slowbro mega but who cares. You resist ice punch and waterfall, you have a stupid bulk so earthquake isn't a problem, you can stall the rain with protect and heal yourself with wish. Toxic helps to ... you know why. Finally regenerator heals the damages from earthquake without having to protect after your wish (and you can't die because of a Flinch).

:sm/alakazam-mega:
Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazite
Timid Nature
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Energy Ball
- Recover
I don't know if that works because Alakazam can't switch in to swampert but you revenge kill it easly. why ? Because trace copy swift swim and you outspeed and OHKO with energy ball, alakazam can be really good against rain if you hit focus blast.

Thanks to zinnias for taking slowbro mega while I was writing over it

:ss/Tapu Bulu: @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Protect

Hard check, with protect you can stall out rain turns and with horn leech you can recover all that dmg off... with grassy terrain you can also make it so smth like kart can take it on since eq is super weak now.

252 Atk Swampert-Mega Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tapu Bulu: 160-190 (46.6 - 55.3%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock, Leftovers recovery, and Grassy Terrain recovery

But with protect you can turn the 2hko into a 3hko and horn leech all that hp back

:ss/Venusaur-mega: @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 68 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain / Hidden power Fire
- Synthesis

252 Atk Swampert-Mega Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 120-142 (32.9 - 39%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Venusaur-Mega Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Swampert-Mega: 352-420 (103.2 - 123.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

yeah... u can hard switch on it, giga drain its ass and use leech seed to recover off other mons esp if you have a zone to screw off the ferrothorn that would be giving you big trouble

mega pert cant really do much besides eq on switch over and over but mega venu is pretty fat

Last edited:
Check:
:sm/kartana:
Kartana @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike

Put band here but ANY kartana set will live one earthquake and all sets will ohkoe swampert with leaf blade.

252 Atk Swampert-Mega Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kartana: 144-171 (55.5 - 66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Swampert-Mega: 1044-1228 (306.1 - 360.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Counter:
:sm/avalugg:
Avalugg @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Atk / 168 Def
- Avalanche
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Recover

With the highest damaging attack swampert can do barely being able to 4hko, you can just outheal the damage and avalanche over and over again until it dies. Also it can't setup rocks and switch out as you have rapid spin.

252 Atk Swampert-Mega Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Avalugg: 88-105 (22.3 - 26.6%) -- 19.1% chance to 4HKO

clematis

formerly EdDaBoss
Okay, voting is now closed. Thanks everyone for the submissions! :D

Checks:
:rotom-wash: Rotom-Wash by cen344uu
:serperior: Serperior by zinnias
:charizard-mega-y: Mega Charizard Y by Heatranator
:alakazam-mega: Mega Alakazam by Uber45
:tapu-bulu: Tapu Bulu by HydreigonTheChild
:kartana: Choice Band Kartana by chuggachuggachooo

Counter:
:buzzwole: Buzzwole by clematis
:slowbro-mega: Mega Slowbro by zinnias
:tangrowth: Rocky Helmet Tangrowth by Heatranator
:alomomola: Alomomola by Uber45
:venusaur-mega: Mega Venusaur by HydreigonTheChild
:avalugg: Avalugg by chuggachuggachooo
You have four days to vote, ending on Tuesday 30th April. You may vote for two checks and two counters this week. (Again so many submissions, let's keep this momentum going! Any suggestions for future Pokemon, do let me know!)

I will add the winners to the Hall of Fame at the end of the voting phase.

Best of luck to all submissions!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)