Project UU Teambuilding Competition -- Week 9: Arcanine-Hisui (CLOSED UNTIL SHIFTS)

Rae

valiance and vigor
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The amazingly talented Queen of Bean wins Ogerpon round, congratulations! Tomorrow I will be getting our hall of fame sorted, so sit tight folks!

With shifts coming around soon, lets use a cool Pokemon that certainly won't be leaving us! onto Week 4!

Week 5 - Okidogi

1698503550743.png

We have yet another primary DLC Mon the spotlight for this week! This time though, being the leader of the Loyal Three, the menacing Okidogi! This super powerful threat has a number of sets that it can run such as Choice Band, Choice Scarf and Bulk Up, allowing itself to power through the tier with ease thanks to its giant Attack stat and powerful STAB combo. This doesn't mean it is invincible though, as its speed isn't enough to keep up with faster threats and is weak to common types like Ground and Flying, but that won't stop it from being a giant threat on any team!

You all have 5 days to make a sinister Okidogi team, good luck!​

https://pokepast.es/915eddc08c76d368

Okidogi uses BU taunt to be a great stallbreaker. with taunt it can pressure pokemon like weezing-g, stop amoonguss from using spore, rotom-w using WoW and stop slowking from trying to pivot out. Tera fairy allows me to setup on many more pokemon like iron treads, specs hydreigon, torn-t, salamence, etc. 176+ gives me enough speed to outrun jolly breloom and allows me to taunt it first, while also outrunning things like 252 hoopa, def quaq, volcanion, poltea, and more.

Scarf gard is a great pokemon on this team... with rain being popular u can easily use scarf gardevoir to revenge kill things like band basculegion, floatzel, and with trace you can take advantage of torn-t, thundy-t, (maybe heatran), copying toxic chain from the 3 poisons, and more. Scarf gard can also use healing wish in the last slot to heal okidogi in the late game...this allows it a 2nd attempt after it poisoned its foes or wore things down before.

Tera fairy heatran is a lovely pokemon I know to counter things like CB meow wanting to finish things off but u tera out of the MU and live and kill it.. also gives you smth against quaq, hydreigon, SD weavile, eq mence, haxorus, hoopa trying to drain punch you, and hawlucha trying to CC you. heatran is a great stall breaker and threatens the pokemon that gard really doesnt want anything to do with like the steels. The speed gives you enough to outrun ada scizor while the rest in def to make sure u can take hits from meow, weavile, lokix, and other physical moves better

Gastrodon is a great rocker and is very good anti alomomola counterplay in making sure that it can deny slow flip turns to pivot out to a teammate to make sure we can deny its recovery. its current spread allows it to live 3 earth powers from sandy shocks after rocks while the rest in phys def allows it to take hits like SD quaq CC better (after a tera ofc), maybe hoopa knock offs, iron hands drain punch, and more.

Torn-t is just a great sp. def wall with the bulk to allow me to live 2 meow knock offs without an item, rest in sp. def giving me great opportunities to switch in against most special pokemon, and enough to outrun maushold. Tera electric makes the the MU against itself and thundy-t much better and makes it much more difficult for non knock varients to break through.

Iron treads is iron treads and it does the things it usually does. offensive iron treads gives pressure needed to force out things to get spin off.. and it can easily force progress in game against things like helmet amoonguss and hippo, removing boots from pokemon like torn-t, and removing lefties to allow easier late game cleaning. tera ground gives us the extra push needed against pokemon like alomomola, amoonguss, and more phys def slowking or slowbro. Tera water can be used to turn the MU against rain or to live smth like zapdos-g close combat, iron hands drain punch, or a arc-h flare blitz

Dogi + Zarude Bulky Offense:
:okidogi: - :zarude: - :goodra-hisui: - :rotom-wash: - :moltres: - :iron-treads:

This team is built around the synergy between SubBU Okidogi and Jungle Healing Pivot Zarude.

SubBU Dogi is a straight up menace. It's what SubSD Hands wants to be when it grows up. There are just so many things that struggle to break its sub and therefore become setup bait (, and the list obviously only grows longer as your defense goes up. This spread invests in enough SpDef to keep Gweezing from breaking its sub with Strange Seam, since the team can struggle with it otherwise. Tera Poison gives Poison Jab some extra oomph and lets you run Black Sludge to punish `mons that may want to trap you with Trick.

Dogi is very much the star of the team, but Zarude was its starting point. I was running Scarf Zarude for a hot minute a while ago but it felt like a waste compared to running Ogerpon or Meowscarada, so I wanted to take advantage of its big advantage over those 'mons: bulk. When I looked at the specific threats that Zarude's base typing plus Jungle Healing help manage, it was obvious that Dogi was the go-to option. Zarude can switch endlessly into ground and psychic type attacks that can be massive threats to Dogi along things that threaten a status on the switch AND things like Clodsire and Quagsire that can be annoying for Dogi to deal with. Dogi, meanwhile, eats up bug, poison, and fighting attacks and threatens fairies offensively.

Low Kick over U-Turn to punish the anticipated Heatran Switch-in and just to add another stronger offensive option to help you stand your ground. Should probably just go with Tera Fairy, but fighting gives Low Kick some notable oomph, while also flipping the debilitating U-Turn weakness, even if it shares more (and more common) weaknesses with its base typing than Fairy does.

Dogi and Zarude share a frustrating weakness for Flying attacks, so the next step was to mitigate that threat. Washtom was an easy pick, also providing a ground immunity to support Dogi and resistances to fire and ice to help Zarude out. SpDef makes it easier for Washtom to switch into the specific attacks it needs to take for this team (Hurricanes, Flamethrowers, etc.), while double status provides multiple options for limiting threats to the team.

Hoodra is here as the team's Sinistcha insurance, with Strength Sap blocking all of its avenues for healing, while also providing a good blanked defensive presence. Heavy Slam can hit deceptively hard, . Protect adds longevity, lets you scout choice users and eat up tr/terrain/weather turns. Knock is knock, and Dragon Tail lets you use your bulk to force out runaway boosting threats. Tera Ghost adds a useful Fighting immunity to the team.

Slow PhysDef Moltres is a personal favorite set that helps with the stacked weaknesses to ground and fighting. Mixed offenses with Fire Blast and Brave Bird give you options to dish out damage without needing to invest in offensive stats (or worrying about Hurricane accuracy). Tera Dragon flips electric and water weaknesses without sacrificing the fire or grass resists.

Finally is utility Treads. I really didn't want to stack another ground and fighting weakness on the team, but the resists I have for those types are sturdy enough that the role compression Treads provides was too much to pass up. Rocks + Spin, a second fairy resist, and STAB EQ fill a lot of gaps. Ice spinner over Knock because I've already got knock in two places on this team, and Ground + Ice is just solid coverage in minimal slots.

A few replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9uu-1978714459 - Dogi showcase, plus the team handling Tera Ice Shocks pretty easily.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9uu-1978709438
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9uu-1978706211-no61i2lg6aw04zn6wnmns7r5cirqgenpw- vs Psychic terrain
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9uu-1978700011-qxngrk587idj50ufmf4esk27qdbozoxpw - vs Rain

Bonus from before I settled on Treads: Dogi and Zarude mount an inspiring comeback against some intense flinch hax:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9uu-1978259555-sdlzah3bw5mvnimmsjcndlmvm00f2qkpw

https://pokepast.es/3133d093c1bfae96
Bulk up Dogi this, Bulk up Dogi that
This team attempts to use a Band Okidogi to do tons of damage while spreading Toxic Chain
First off we start with a combination of Okidogi and Slowking, Slowking using Future Sight to handle poison types, a common switch into Okidogi and Chilly Reception to commonly create scary scenarios with Okidogi. Okidogi also has sleep talk, as Okidogi easily switches into Breloom and Amoonguss and can easily take advantage of them without their ability to neutralize Okidogi with sleep. Next up I just did treads, it's type is pretty good for this team defensively, good compression with rocks and spin (While not sucking at it) and spreading Knock Off. Alomomola is here to act as a slow pivot that passes wishes, I use this and Slowking, which stacks weaknesses on paper, but usually one of them (Most of the time Alofish but sometimes it can help to tera fairy Slowking or use the tera elsewhere if I need to pivot on Scizor for example) Teras into fairy if needed, Play Rough is to help against Hydreigon. Meowscarada is the scarfer, which also has a unique move for Hydreigon in Low Kick, which will KO it whether it decides to Tera Steel or stay base type. The team is rounded off by Rotom Heat. It takes advantage of many grass types and Clodsire with substitute, resisting Heatran and Flying types pretty well, all while having plenty of opportunities to set up Nasty Plot. Its also great against pokemon like Scizor and Mamoswine.

Biggest threat to this team is Gastrodon, a nuisance to Rotom-H as well as Alomomola, but both Meowscarada and Okidogi are capable of doing incredible damage to it and Okidogi even poisoning it. If you cannot KO it fast, just wear it down over time. Hydreigon can also be a problem but just keep your teras in mind and think about what KOs it.

ThatOneApple

A Bit Fruity
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
PSYCHIC FANGS OKIDOGI
:Okidogi: :Tornadus-therian: :Iron Treads: :slowking: :meowscarada: :scizor:
https://pokepast.es/0746bad08501e012

:okidogi:
The main guy, and as the title implies, he has psychic fangs.

Why run psychic fangs?

Simple, a LOT of people tend to fall back on fat poisons like :clodsire: and :weezing-galar: to handle the standard knock off dogi. So why not draw those in and take them out? Having psychic fangs on dogi means that it no longer needs fsight support from slowking, allowing slowking to drop fsight for twave to better support a late game dogi clean. Not to mention the fact that a team with all its poisons knocked out is easy pickings for meow. The tera type is pretty customizable to how you like it, i personally prefer dragon in order to preserve the grass resist while getting a water resist for the rain mu should things get dicey, but water and electric are both probably fine options, as water preserves the fairy neutrality in case you wanted to beat down tera poison :cresselia: and electric gives you a flying resist for :tornadus-therian:. Psychic fangs also gives you an edge in the mirror and improves the mu against :iron hands: .Overall its a fun mixup on the standard dogi moveset and ive seen it used to success, so i tried it out myself.

Some calcs
+1 32+ Atk Okidogi Psychic Fangs vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing-Galar: 164-194 (49.1 - 58%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO
32+ Atk Okidogi Psychic Fangs vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Clodsire: 256-302 (55.2 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
32+ Atk Okidogi Psychic Fangs vs. 252 HP / 208+ Def Amoonguss: 162-192 (37.5 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (2hko easily achievable with hazards up)
+1 32+ Atk Okidogi Psychic Fangs vs. 116 HP / 0 Def Iron Hands: 240-284 (50.2 - 59.4%) -- 79.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

:Tornadus-therian:
Good ol AV torn, same old same old. provides utility by just existing. not sure what else to say about torn, he just does everything.

:Iron treads:
Air balloon treads provides additional security against a potential unaware :clodsire: while also being nice for :sandy shocks:. Provides rocks and spin, knock could be ice spinner if you really wanted but ive been having more success with knock overall so i left it with it.

:Slowking:
As stated earlier this is the usual slowking but with twave over fsight as the support from fsight isnt really too needed. this allows slowking to slow down various things that outspeed dogi like :tornadus-therian: :hydreigon: and :meowscarada: and prepare it for the late game clean. Other than that its just the same stuff as usual, chilly to pivot and clear any potential rain, recovery, and broken scald.

:Meowscarada:
Fast as hell and provides spikes to the team to speed down the wearing down of fatter mons. Appreciates dogi's removal of poisons while facilitating okidogi's ability to do so with spikes and makes up for dogi's inability to knock poisons by doing it itself, also pivots around to rack up hazard damage and all that.

:Scizor:
Good priority to pick off fast sweepers and a good alternative endgame plan in case you need to use dogi a lot early game. Can pivot around and knock boots off of annoying checks like :skeledirge: and :alomomola:, which also makes dogi's life easier. CC is a potential option over knock if you really want to, but personally i find knock to be more consistently useful.

:okidogi::bellibolt::cresselia::mandibuzz::mamoswine::goodra-hisui:
https://pokepast.es/75bbe2ca3e70c13c
This team aims to get Okidogi or Cresselia, both amazing setup sweepers, into a position to do their job while wearing down the enemy team and tanking hits. Radical, I know, but I've been having good success with it so far.

:okidogi: This Okidogi set isn't much special, regrettably. I played around with a hazard stack team running Okidogi with roar, but that was too gimmicky even for me. SubBU is, as most of the teams this week have pointed out, just an all-around fun time. Tera flying buys a crucial turn of setup against common threats like Iron Treads or Heatran that outspeed and threaten with ground moves; getting off a single free bulk up followed by a drain punch is usually enough to get things going.

:cresselia::bellibolt: Aside from Cresselia being another great set up sweeper, she and Bellibolt form a powerful defensive core alongside Okidogi. Cresselia ignores the ground types that threaten both and resists the psychic attacks headed for Okidogi, giving her an opportunity to set up. Bellibolt is a defensive powerhouse that can switch in on tornadus-t to take a hurricane or knock-off, and his bulk gives you ample opportunities to trigger static; while it's still not the most reliable, a lucky paralysis can turn a game around, especially since the sweepers on this team aren't particularly fast. Meanwhile, Okidogi can switch in against Meowscarda or Sinischa that threaten Cresselia. This core feels incredibly solid overall, though the double weakness to ground is certainly a problem.

:mandibuzz: Which is why Mandibuzz comes next! A great defensive defogger that safely switch into Iron Treads, Meowscarda, honestly most physical attackers that aren't named Iron Hands. U-Turn for slow pivots, Foul Play to punish set up, you know the drill.

:mamoswine: Aside from setting stealth rocks, Focus Sash ensures that Mamoswine gets to use its sizable attack stat. IC/EQ plus shard can revenge kill a good number of threats if necessary, and the stab coverage punishes ground types like Clodsire or Sandy Shocks that would otherwise eat this team alive. Water tera gives Mamoswine the typing it can use to survive a crucial turn against common threats. Might consider a bulkier set in the future; Mamoswine is tricky to switch in. Still, I think he's really well positioned in the meta right now: Out of the top 10 mons seen in this week's Snake Draft, Mamoswine hits all but 2 with supereffective stab (assuming Weezing-G is running levitate). Ironically, Mamoswine is also one of the biggest threats to this team. The best answer is to get bellibolt in, tera, and get a toxic off. Not exactly a clean check.

:goodra-hisui: With the majority of my team being so physically bulky, I needed a good sp.d mon; H-Goodra mixes great bulk with solid damage that doesn't need setup. I chose it over AV Torn partially for the rock resistance, and for an easier time against Sp. Attackers that give the rest of the team trouble like Thundurus-T and Hoopa-U.

Last edited:

Rae

valiance and vigor
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Sorry about the delay, ThatOneApple wins! Onto the next!

Week 6 - Sandy Shocks

:sv/Sandy shocks:

It’s time for Sandy Shocks to jolt onto our competitors teams! With a great dual STAB, access to Spikes and Stealth Rock and a nifty speed tier for strong pivoting capabilities, the Shocker makes for a powerful teammate capable of being amazing offensive support and a strong breaker. How will our contestants utilise the power of sand?

5 days to submit, good luck!​

sparrow

kacaw
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I was contemplating whether to post this team, as it's worthy of a showcase on its own. Sandy Shocks is difficult to show case as it's rarely the star of the show, but it is great at what it does - setting up hazards. Beside my self inflated commentary, I think this team high-lights a relatively underused Sandy Shocks set in Tera Blast Ice and I am in a sharing mood. I hope you like it.

The concept for this team was as follows: stay in and get knocked out or switch out and accumulate hazard damage.

Weavile is the teams primary late-game sweeper, and knock-off spammer. I suppose the only interesting tidbit to note is that it's not Choice Banded or Swords Dance. Weavile doesn't really need either to be threatening, and that's the point, it's annoying to switch into through out the match because of Knock Off. It's not difficult to bring in due to a combination of Heavy Duty Boots and a team full of threats that force a lot of switches. Being a form of speed control and challenging Mandi/Slowking/Amoon cores is really the best.

For more information on my thoughts regarding this Ogerpon set, please see my comments on underrated/creative move sets thread here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sv-uu-creative-and-underrated-sets.3714369/post-9851176
To summarise, I legitimately think this is too strong for UU. After Terastallization you have a Pokemon with a Choice Band and Scarf in one, Ogerpon pretty much trivialises the rain match-up alongside Volcanion. On this team, it's a breaker, late game cleaner, Defog deterrent and pivot all rolled into one. Lastly, Weavile + Ogerpon wear down each others switch-ins.

Torn-T is the best Pokemon in UU atm. I am already running Knock Off on the previous two Pokemon, Nasty Plot was the obvious choice. Torn-T with its speed and bulk coupled with Regenerator make it a fantastic scout. Focus Blast gives it the most potential for wall breaking. I think the important thing to note is that Torn-T is a wall breaker and pivot, not a sweeper. Remembering that it will miss and isn't your late game win-condition is the key to using this successfully. Don't be afraid to let it get burned, poisoned or Knocked Off. Use it to punch holes for Weavile and Ogerpon and you're doing it right.

Volcanion is literally here for the rain match-up. On its own it can force your opponent to switch around a lot, which is thematic to this team. Taunt is great for punishing bulkier teams that may have an opportunity to Defog or heal. Outside of the rain match up, Volc annoys priority cores (Scizor + Azu), can net cheeky burns for additional chip and is a great pivot into Fire and Water types that may annoy Weavile and Ogerpon early game.

On to the star supporter of the team: Sandy Shocks. Spikes, Volt, STAB and Tera Ice? Okay right now, there are three Rapid Spin Pokemon in UU, none of them like taking anything from Sandy Shocks. Add on Tera Ice and you include all of the Rapid Spin users in RU. This also applies to the relevant Defog options within the tier. Sandy Shocks is great at setting up hazards and keeping them there, it has perfect coverage with Tera Blast Ice meaning it isn't relegated to being a hazard spammer when using this set.

Lastly, we have the most splash-able Pokemon in UU, Iron Treads, who is here to both set-up Stealth Rock and take them away. Interesting notes, Air Balloon lets it switch in on most Sandy Shocks (lol) who can do nothing in return and it allows it to swiftly deal with late game DD mence. I chose Tera Ground to turn this into a late game sweeping option after Rapid Spin and I don't miss Knock Off due to Weav+Pon.

>262 Speed Rotom-Heat - We're in a rain meta, however you will need to wear it down to deal with it. No one team member can OHKO this menace, other than Volcanion. 263+ speed is faster than volc.
Scarf Hisuian-Arcanine - If you don't Tera Grass Oger, what can you do vs this late game?
Weavile - it's just annoying to switch into, opposing Weavile + Hazard stack is a pain to deal with. Low Kick, Tera-Pon, not directly switching in with Volc are your best options.
Hisuian-Goodra - annoying but not impossible, Specs is probably its most threatening set. Its slower than the entire team and requires a bit of support to pull off and wish the departure of Alo, is less common.
Rock Tomb Breloom - it can be played around but it covers the entire team, other than Ogerpon.
CM Cress - lol uh taunt volc, np torn, Banded Ogerpon and Knock from Weavile. Problem is when it Tera's into poison type. Don't let it set-up.

Last edited:

Been using this since shifts so here you go, Harcanine hazard stack. I like the core of Harcanine + Sandy a lot with it getting to Volt Switch on stuff like Amoonguss, Sinistcha, etc., and bringing in the dogo to break. I really enjoyed Life Orb Harcanine for the extra breaking power and ability to switch up moves. Morning Sun being there to offset any hazards and LO recoil. Sandy is standard with Spikes and Tera Grass to remove Gastrodon. Empoleon is next as a recent drop I wanted to try out. On this squad, it is pretty useful against Azumarill and rain. I think it has pretty bad 4MSS but Roar just felt the best to phase out setup breakers and to force hazard damage. Torn-T is Torn-T, a fast pivot with a lasting presence. Knock Off helps remove Boots off Slowking, Sandy, etc., and wear them down with Spikes + Rocks. Gweezing provides a secondary Fighting resist for Dogi and mainly Hands but also helps make the team less vulnerable to Iron Treads, Meowscarada, and Mamoswine. Originally I had Defog but decided I'd rather just potentially cripple stuff like Cresselia, Harcanine, etc. that come in. Finally, Scarf Meow is here as a nice safety net against HO and rain.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)