Tournament UUPL XII Commencement

Lily

it's in my blood
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
Just to all the managers in the draft, I'd appreciate it if I could get some genuine feedback on why I didn't get drafted. I am currently no 1 on the SV UU ladder (which I expected would have been, at the bare minimum, enough to get on the bench). Is it because you don't know who I am?
you are super right actually. i don't suppose you happen to play high level gen 7 uu

sparrow

kacaw
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Just to all the managers in the draft, I'd appreciate it if I could get some genuine feedback on why I didn't get drafted. I am currently no 1 on the SV UU ladder (which I expected would have been, at the bare minimum, enough to get on the bench). Is it because you don't know who I am?
Did you reach out to anyone?

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
ik these are coming out later than usual but i was lazy, these rankings have absolutely nothing to do with the draft these teams ended up with, and exclusively to do with them as a manager duo

I want to heavily emphasize that most of these pairs are very close in ranking for sure, it’s a great group of managers, no complete stinkers for once woot woot good job

1. umbry and Bouff
These two cover basically every generation of UU and are the perfect mix of both activity and skill with neither of them going exclusively in one direction. I think umbry is one of the greatest uu minds oat and bouff is one of the most tryhardy tryhards oat. With all this being said I think they’ve already made a mistake in not buying either one of themselves, with the brokenness of manager buys and the viability of both users in their respective pools being very high, there is a chance star power won’t be as readily available for them when it would’ve otherwise been served on a platter with manager buy mechanics. They surely have a plan though, and I have no doubt it’s a well enough thought out one.

2. Lily and zoe

This ranking is pretty heavily carried by Lily and the fact that they are reigning champions. Idk anything about zoe and whether or not they offer much of anything to a UUPL, no shade i just literally have no fucking clue. Lily is of course good and strong and very helpful in the past two generations, and some BW. I think there isn’t a massive amount of flop potential and the fact that this is the reigning champs bodes well for their chances in this tournament.

3. mncmt and KM

these guys are wild cards with a very high ceiling, they’ve had true success and they’ve had true failure, the past success combined with mence being basically in his prime is what carried them above the managers below them. There is flop potential but there is also very real pop off potential and really I think it all starts with how much mence cares. If he’s shiftrying every single game then he can only rly care so much, and if he doesn’t care much I don’t see them hitting their ceiling at least. They will form their usual sisters’ core and definitely won’t be ass on paper regardless at this point probably.

4. vivalospride and col49

Zero playoff appearances as a solidified manager isn’t great for vivalospride, and every friends iteration led by him has failed in the grand scheme of things. With that being said these two can easily deserve being even higher up the list, with the two of them covering most uu gens effectively and having a lot of experience between them. No doubt viv will tryhard with the Friends under his reign and col will be his usual reliable self. The sky can be the limit but the floor can also be low, we shall see what route ends up being taken as I think viv and col are a duo with promise for sure, Col knows what it takes for players to win and will balance out the team nicely guaranteed. Unfortunately history points towards a negative outcome for the friends, it is all in their control to change it, and with a valuable enough manager buy and hopefully Col keeping idiot viv in check, they can do it.

5. Garay oak and tko

This pair is definitely a bit of a curveball compared to what the monsters usually run with. With that being said Garay is big time and the monsters foundation at its core is very good, i can’t imagine a monsters roster that just sucks ass, even without Carson at the helm. I’m sure they’ll successfully take from prior monster iterations and have a fair amount of success, however they definitely aren’t as heavy of a playoff lock in as a Carson led monsters would be assumed to be. Their tier coverage could be worse but the fact that their support isn’t as built in as previous iterations is something that could hurt them in worst case scenario. Even though these two are first time uupl managers (to my knowledge), it doesn’t feel like it as much as they’re inheriting the monsters foundation and probably can just flip thru numerous UUPLs for a free draft plan that still works. Their activity and passion is in question though, and bumps them down the rankings quite a bit.

6. Shiba and Thisbemyalt

Respect must be shown for the smashers franchise, despite no rings, this franchise is almost always competitive. With that being said, this duo is weighed down simply by the fact that it’s 2024. Shiba has quit mons like 12 times atp and Noah legit hasn’t played a single pokemon game since 2020, as a manager pair they have the tier coverage with Shiba alone, and the charisma of Noah, which is definitely noteworthy, but in 2024 Shiba’s activity level surely isn’t high enough to qualify as prime accel level support in any given tier. If shiba and noah are motivated enough they are a duo that can make for a last fairytale run for this smashers franchise for sure, the potential is there. But the chances of them reaching their ceiling doesn’t seem high enough with their assumed motivation levels.

7. pdt and Fc

This core has an extremely high ceiling, with pdt being one of the most valuable self buys possible in this tournament, easily. Fc is a respectable pilot and user but in a UU tournament might be lacking the support characteristic that is ideal of a great manager, he is good enough to provide input probably in several generations though, and pdt will cover several tiers in terms of support. The main reason these two are below the manager pairs above them is that they are first time managers in UUPL, and it is hard to expect greatness with nothing to go off of, we know what they are as players, but what abt managers? idk. It’s easy to assume pdt will carry his weight and Fc will at least be active and charismatic, who knows what else to assume from there though, perhaps their tiers not covered by pdt will suffer, or maybe not, but these two definitely have a high ceiling and can easily skyrocket up this list next year if they stay together.

8. Monky25 and Estarossa

Last but i guess also least, these two are forum grinders. They know UU inside and out but their tier coverage doesn’t compliment each other as well as they should really. That combined with their ceiling seeming lower than most other pairs is why they rank last. Monky and esta both know SV/SS well at the least, and esta vaguely knows some older gens until u fall down to GSC which he is very passionate about. There’s a lot of very top heavy pools that they will have to either support themselves, or get lucky and find support for. That being said these two are new managers to the uupl format, similar to the duo above. So there isn’t a lot to go off of, as well as not a super high value manager buy between them. There is a real world where this team does very well, but I think of all the manager pairs in the tour this is the one that it’s safest to expect more “mid” than anything else

Hey, im not a manager but since i did have some influence in the moomoo’s draft I was relayed your post where you reached out to them. For future reference, managers are looking at tour experience and building styles wayyyyy before ladder peaks. Showing that you can build different types of teams and at least take a game or two off some big names is more promising to look at rather than bodying Joesauceman425.

I’d also like to say that you were on a couple of people’s minds in regards to being a 3k sub, including our team. But when looking at other teams and their bench slots, a lot of these sv players bring a lot of value. People like nikebeamz, easter, melt gibson, queen of bean, to name a few, have proven they can beat high-level players and build teams throughout countless sv uu metas. Your main selling point was neither of these, but instead showing your ladder peak, which again, people just dont find as useful.

Edit: just heard the news. Whoops! Grats on getting drafted! hopefully this at least shed some light on your concern from before

Last edited:

BeeOrSomething

Daylight Savings Time sucks
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
GSC Slot Power Rankings from a guy who plays GSC

1. Trainers - dawnbuster

Really tempted to put pp #1 but I think dawn's 9-1 gscpl just seals it. He's coming off an incredible run and knows the tier better than basically anyone, and he has a long history of performing well and being at the forefront of metagame development.

2. Sisters - pp's splash town

pp is a student of dawn and as such knows how to click the right buttons and use good teams. I know he will always put in effort and consistently do his best in battle. I'm expecting more great things from him.

3. Tycoons - Real FV13

Most will probably put FV at 2 or even 1, and that is absolutely justified. FV is an amazing player with consistently great results, however I do think many of his teams are questionable. It definitely says something that he still performs so well despite his self-imposed handicaps, but I think he may struggle at times. Overall, all 3 of these top players are amazing and relatively even.

------

edit: 4. Monsters - d0nut

d0nut is pretty good at this tier and has always performed well in UUPL and such. He's very quiet though, and I don't know how much GSC he's been playing, while the 3 above are constantly active in the tier.

----

Pretty unclear from here down so take it with a grain of salt

5. Idols - Lialiabeast

Lialiabeast can be hit or miss at times from what I've seen, but I'm sure he will try and at times he has managed to punch up and show himself capable of beating multiple people better than him. I'm interested to see how he does.

6. Strikers - Torchic

I really don't know how to judge Torchic. He always gets solid results but I don't think he's played GSC UU since last year's UUPL/ALTPL, and he may show to be far behind the current metagame. I think it will mostly come down to what teams he decides to bring, but regardless of where I put him, I'll always be rooting for the big boss.

7. Ladies - DugZa / Estarossa / Inno?

Fairly sure Estarossa said he wouldn't be playing GSC this tournament and I don't see anyone else on his team who plays GSC, so I'm going to assume DugZa is in this slot. DugZa did very well in GSCPL and last year's ALTPL, showing that when fed good teams, he can click the buttons pretty well. What kind of teams he will be using this time around, I do not know. I could also be totally wrong and someone else is slotting into GSC on the Ladies. If Estarossa does happen to be playing GSC, my placing doesn't change. I think he uses a lot of really suspect teams. If Innovamania happens to play GSC, then it's even more unclear since I honestly don't think he has seriously played this tier before. We'll see.

8. Smashers - SANKE CARP

I'm a fan of Sanke and he knows what a good team looks like, but he hasn't been performing in tours too well recently so I'm not sure how he will do. Potentially huge upside here though, definitely don't count him out.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)