Venusaur (Analysis)

Petal Dance? It locks Venusaur for several turns..and with a huge array of Pokemon resisting Grass-type attacks. Maybe mention it in AC/OC. Also I agree with whoever proposed merging both sets since Venusaur does not have a huge movepool to choose from that requires it to have two different Growth sets.

[SET]
name: Growth
move 1: Growth (The set order goes by importance and since this set revolves around setting up with 'Growth' it is the primary move.)
move 2: Seed Bomb / SolarBeam
move 3: Sludge Bomb / Sleep Powder
move 4: HP Fire / HP Ice
item: Life Orb
ability: Chlorophyll
nature: Naughty / Modest
evs: Not too sure about them

Well, since Power Whip is illegal with Chlorophyll I really have no objections with merging the Growth sets. Still, I'd rather not have Solarbeam given the prior reasons. Being stuck in a charging move is worse than being locked into a regular move. I'll add Petal Dance to additional comments for a cleaner role. Energy Ball should probably be the main special Grass move.

@ Higsby: I see your point. Will edit.

Well, since Power Whip is illegal with Chlorophyll I really have no objections with merging the Growth sets. Still, I'd rather not have Solarbeam given the prior reasons. Being stuck in a charging move is worse than being locked into a regular move. I'll add Petal Dance to additional comments for a cleaner role. Energy Ball should probably be the main special Grass move.

@ Higsby: I see your point. Will edit.
I put Solarbeam there as Venusaur with Chlorophyll will commonly be used with Drought Ninetales...

I put Solarbeam there as Venusaur with Chlorophyll will commonly be used with Drought Ninetales...
I understand this, and state explicitly in every set that Droughtales is mandatory, but the reason I do not want to run Solarbeam is the prevalence of auto-inducers, all of whom with the exception of Abomasnow beat Ninetales one-on-one. Venusaur does not want to use Growth while a weather inducer is running around, as there is no chance of sweeping. With Solarbeam you don't even have the option of wall-breaking. If Tyranitar or Politoed switch in while you use Solarbeam, they can switch out to Nattorei or Skarmory to take the Solarbeam effortlessly and then switch to something that resists the rest of your movepool. What I'm trying to say is that Solarbeam forces Venusaur to be a late-game cleaner, while with Energy Ball you can still hit T-tar or Toed with a +2 SE STAB. I'm sure you know weather vs weather revolves around getting rid of the opponent's inducer first, so getting any amount of damage on them at the cost of Saur's life is overall a very good trade. However, Solarbeam is admitably a much better cleaning move than Petal Dance, so I'll mention it with it in the additional comments if you don't have a problem with that.

I finally added Solarbeam as a main option because I realized Power Herb could be used, and since my primary argument against Solarbeam was not giving weather-inducers free switch-ins I really don't see a reason not to include it now.

Edit: Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking when I said this, so unless a QCer says otherwise Solarbeam is off to OC.

I finally added Solarbeam as a main option because I realized Power Herb could be used, and since my primary argument against Solarbeam was not giving weather-inducers free switch-ins I really don't see a reason not to include it now.
Power Herb is a horrible option just to power up one move just once. Life Orb is the way to go, don't even mention Power Herb in the analysis, it just doesn't work. Life Orb grants Venusaur that much needed power. IMO Solarbeam doesn't deserve a slash due to the prevalence of Sandstorm (Tyranitar and Hippowdon cause a charge turn and reduce the base power to 60 when they induce sandstorm). I would put Solarbeam into the AC at best.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Please add in that without Hidden Power Fire and with the Sleep Clause activated, every Steel-type (bar Empoleon and secondary Rock-types) wall Growth Venusaur to death because of immunities and resistances to Poison + Grass.

Also, would a pure Life Orb set without Growth be plausible?

AccidentalGreed said:
Also, would a pure Life Orb set without Growth be plausible?
I don't think so, since venusaur is pretty weak with just 82/100 as attacking stats. Victreebel would probably be better suited for an all-out attacker set with access to Weather Ball in addition to having better offensive stats.

The Sweeper set is really crowded right now, and Venusaur has enough options to split it into two. Fully Special Growth is easily the most common Venusaur and therefore deserves the first set. Just make sure to mention that Energy Ball is used over Grass Knot for consistency and how Giga Drain is illegal right now. Solarbeam is also an option if you want a more powerful but unreliable attack. Hidden Power Fire is a must for Steels, and although Sludge Bomb helps a lot with neutral coverage, Sleep Powder should definitely get a slash with it to cripple a Poke and give an opportunity to set up a Growth.

[SET]
name: Special Growth
move 1: Growth
move 2: Energy Ball / Solarbeam
move 3: Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Sludge Bomb / Sleep Powder
nature: Modest
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

The second Growth set takes advantage of Venusaur's balanced offensive stats. It's useful for catching people who rely on Blissey off guard and hitting them with a Seed Bomb (again make sure to mention how Power Whip is illegal). This set is more of a wallbreaker because you have Return for the Lati twins but also Hidden Power Fire to hit Steels hard. Again Sleep Powder is an option, but Hidden Power Fire is pretty crucial for Skarmory, Scizor and Ferrothorn.

[SET]
name: Mixed Growth
move 2: Seed Bomb
move 3: Return / Earthquake
move 4: Hidden Power Fire / Sleep Powder
nature: Lonely
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

The SubSeed set looks good, but Protect should be slashed with Substitute instead of having its own slot. In that spot, put Sleep Powder, since it's really useful for SubSeed sets to get a free Substitute up and start Leech Seeding things left and right. You can mention in AC that you can use Protect over Sleep Powder if you want to be extra annoying though.

Also I would mention Ninetales a lot more because no way you're going to be using Venusaur without Drought support.

Make these changes and thou shalt be stamped.

edit: changes made NAIIIIICE

QC Approved 1/3

Bloo

Banned deucer.
The QC team spoke about this analysis on IRC; Iconic summed everything up nicely.

EDIT: Don't slash Swords Dance next to Growth on the mixed set; it's inferior to Growth when sun's in play (the only place you should be using Venusaur!)

QC APPROVED (2/3)

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
On the special growth set, Grass Knot should certainly be slashed before SolarBeam (which is an atricious option in this meta). Grass Knot hits almost all of the targets that Energy Ball hits harder, with the exception of Rotom-W and Politoed, who can't do much in return and are both mauled by +2 Sludge Bomb.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
Approved 3/3

Make sure you mention the advantages that Venusaur posesses over Whimsicott (who has priority SubSeed), such as Sleep Powder, T-Spikes absorbtion, and a resistance to Fighting.

Rotom-W is too common to make Grass Knot one of the slashes, right now it's AC material.

Power Whip is a breeding move while all Dream World Bulbasaur are exclusively male, so therefore it is incompatible. Fortunately we can still use Seed Bomb as Bulbasaur learns it by level-up (Lv. 34 iirc). And before somebody asks Giga Drain is illegal because it is a 4th gen TM only and therefore can't be used on a Dream World Pokemon.

elDino

Deal With It.
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Amateur GP Check!!!

Insert
Remove
Comments

[Overview]

<p>Previously the king of DPP UU before Heracross's short stint in the tier, Venusaur gained a tremendous boost in the transition to 5th generation with its Dream World ability, Chlorophyll. In addition, the move Growth now doubles both attacking stats in sunlight, making Venusaur one of sun's premiere sweepers. Unfortunately Venusaur cannot use Power Whip or the now-buffed Giga Drain with Chlorophyll, somewhat limiting its offensive capabilities. However, even without these moves it is quite dangerous. as although its attacking stats are not exceptional, Growth allows them to reach very threatening levels. Venusaur gets plenty of opportunities to set up with its resistances to Fighting-, Water-, and Electric-type moves and decent bulk. It is very difficult to counter thanks to its access to Sleep Powder, which is even more difficult to handle due to the BW sleep mechanics. Although it is rather lackluster without its preferred weather in play, Venusaur is a menace in the sun and should not be taken lightly in any way.</p>

[SET]
move 2: Energy Ball / SolarBeam
ivs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Venusaur is a monster under the sun, capable of running through any team that isn't prepared for it. Life Orb is the preferred item as it provides a substantial boost to Venusaur's offenses. Growth is the most important move in the set, as it boosts Venusaur's Special Attack to deadly levels. As Giga Drain is illegal with Chlorophyll, Energy Ball is Venusaur's preferred STAB-move. If sufficient team support is run to remove enemy weather inducers, SolarBeam becomes a viable choice for its raw power. Hidden Power Fire is essential, as with it Venusaur can kill any Steel-type, bar Heatran, under the sun with a Growth boost. Sludge Bomb provides a secondary powerful STAB-move, but Sleep Powder is also an option for its ability to remove nearly any of Venusaur's counters from the game.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs grant maximum offensive potential. Under the sun Venusaur outspeeds Deoxys-S and anything under with lower speed, including most Choice Scarf users. Timid can be used to outspeed Choice Scarf base 110 Speed Pokemon with a Choice Scarf, but the power loss is noticeable. A Lum Berry can be used to avoid status, but Venusaur needs the power Life Orb provides. Hidden Power Fighting can be used to kill Heatran, who otherwise walls the set. Petal Dance provides a powerful cleaning move, but locks Venusaur into an attack with an easily resisted typing, making it a poor choice overall. Grass Knot is another option over Energy Ball, but the low damage output against Politoed and Rotom-W makes is it a problem. Lastly, Synthesis can be used to heal off Life Orb recoil and damage, but Venusaur almost always prefers having an attacking move in the moveslot Synthesis occupies.</p>

<p>It cannot be stressed enough that Drought Ninetales is mandatory support for this set, as without it Venusaur is a subpar sweeper. Venusaur also wants the opponent's weather inducers out of the way, so Wobbuffet is an excellent choice for trapping and killing them. Heatran walls the set completely once Sleep Clause has been activated. Arcanine can switch in on a Fire-type move used by Heatran and KO it with Close Combat, and also benefits from sunlight. Eviolite Chansey and Blissey wall this set completely, and can even negate Sleep Powder with their Natural Cure ability, so a strong physical Pursuit-user such as Scizor can be used to trap and kill them. In addition, Blaziken threatens both and easily forces them out, giving it a chance to use Swords Dance and sweep the opponent's team. This should be removed as Blaziken is now banned. If Hidden Power Fire is not being run, Magnezone should can be used to trap and kill bothersome Steel-types.</p>

[SET]
ivs: 30 Atk / 30 Spe / 30 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set works off of utilises Venusaur's lesser attack stat in order to catch some of its usual counters off guard. Life Orb is even more important on this set due to Venusaur's substantially lower Attack stat. Growth allows Venusaur to reach an acceptable Attack stat in sunlight. Seed Bomb is Venusaur's strongest physical move as Power Whip is illegal with Chlorophyll. Return provides fantastic neutral coverage, resisted only by Steel-types, Chandelure, and Gengar, while Earthquake can kill Air Balloon-less Heatran without Air Balloon and Chandelure at the cost of poorer neutral coverage. Hidden Power Fire kills most Steel-types at +2, although Heatran is immune to the move and specially defensive Jirachi can survive it and paralyze with Thunder Wave or severely injure Venusaur with Fire Punch. Sleep Powder can be used instead to incapacitate a counter, but the inability to harm Steel-types is a problem.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>As Venusaur resists most commonly used priority attacks and has enough bulk to take Scizor's Bullet Punch, Lonely is the preferred nature as it allows Venusaur to maintain its special bulk. The EVs given maximize offensive potential. A Hasty nature can be used to outspeed Choice Scarf base 110 Speed Pokemon with a Choice Scarf in the sunlight, but this is not advisable as the power drop is much more detrimental on this set. If Sleep Powder is being run over Hidden Power Fire, an Adamant nature should be used instead, as well as perfect IVs, and Swords Dance should be used over Growth so that Venusaur is not completely useless out of sunlight, although it should be noted that Venusaur is not likely to be scoring many KOs without its favorite weather.</p>

<p>This set should never be used without Drought Ninetales. Wobbuffet can trap and kill enemy weather inducers, which is very important for this set. Volcarona greatly benefits from the surprise 2HKOs this can net on Blissey and Eviolite Chansey, and also loves sunlight and having the opponent's Toxic Spikes removed. Magnezone makes a fine partner if Hidden Power Fire is not being run as it can eliminate any problematic Steel-types. If Earthquake is not being run Arcanine can be used to deal with Heatran, and if Earthquake is being used Scizor can be used to trap and kill Latios and Latias, who otherwise wall the set. Likewise, Slowbro can be employed to deal with Salamence and Dragonite with Ice Beam.</p>

[SET]
name: Subseed
move 1: Leech Seed
move 2: Substitute / Protect
move 4: Sleep Powder
item: Leftovers
nature: Bold
evs: 192 HP / 252 Def / 52 SpD / 12 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set allows Venusaur to act as a quick-staller. This set's advantages over Whimsicott include Sleep Powder, allowing a free use of Substitute, a resistance to the abundantly used Fighting-type, and auto-absorption of Toxic Spikes, which helps substantially against stall teams. In sunlight Venusaur outspeeds most threats and can use Leech Seed on them before they can attack, allowing it to stall them out with Substitute until Leech Seed bleeds them dry. Substitute blocks status while shielding Venusaur from hits, and the HP lost from creating it is almost fully restored by a turn of Leftovers and Leech Seed recovery. Protect can be used instead to scout for a phazing move or gain a free turn of recovery, but it cannot be used as frequently as each turn like Substitute. Hidden Power Fire allows Venusaur to 2HKO most Grass-types in sunlight, who would be untouchable with Leech Seed alone as Leech Seed does not effect them. Sleep Powder gives Venusaur a free turn to do as it pleases, allowing it to set up a Substitute with no cost or throw out a free Leech Seed, letting it begin its stall.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With 12 Speed Venusaur reaches 198 Speed, outpacing positive-natured base 130 Speed Pokemon under the sun. 192 HP give Venusaur a Leftovers number, increasing the amount of healing it recieves each turn. 252 Defense with a Bold nature gives maximum physical bulk, and the remainder is placed in Special Defense. Alternatively a spread of Bold with 192 HP / 86 Def / 232 Spe can be used to be able to use Substitute first on outspeed Deoxys-S and anything slower. Synthesis can be used to to heal almost all of Venusaur's health, but with Leech Seed in play Venusaur actually can never gain full use from the move as the net HP recovery would be over 100%. In addition, the low 8 PP hurts Venusaur when it comes to stalling. Protect can be used over Sleep Powder for more efficient stalling, but at the cost of ease of set-up. Toxic can be used to poison Pokemon who would otherwise avoid Toxic Spikes used by an ally, but Venusaur needs the moves it has in order to work efficiently.</p>

<p>Like the sweeper set, Drought Ninetales is critical to this set's success, although this set is not as dependent on it. In addition, Toxic Spikes support is heavily recommended. Tentacruel can set them while also using Rapid Spin to clear entry hazards, and provides a useful resistance to Fire-type moves, which Venusaur greatly appreciates. Reuniclus is immune to both poison and Leech Seed, so Pokemon that can remove it are greatly appreciated. Specially-defensive Spiritomb can trap and kill Reuniclus while also blocking opponents that try to use Rapid Spin in order to clear Toxic Spikes. Wobbuffet makes an excellent partner for this set, as it can trap and kill problem Pokemon and absolutely loves the bolstered recovery a trapped seeded Pokemon provides. Liquid Ooze Tentacruel causes Leech Seed to backfire and can spin away Toxic Spikes. Slowbro with Psyshock deals with Tentacruel rather easily while also countering Blaziken, a serious threat to sun teams Blaziken banned.... A paired Magnezone can trap and kill Ferrothorn, allowing Venusaur to run Protect over Hidden Power Fire. In this case 4 Speed EVs can be shifted to Special Defense.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>A Choice set can be used, but the lack of power makes it a poor choice when compared to a boosting set. An Overgrow Swords Dance Venusaur can be used to take advantage of Power Whip, but is mostly outclassed by other physical sweepers. Worry Seed can be used to remove a troublesome Pokemon's ability, but the unreliability of the move and general waste of a moveslot make it a poor choice to use. Venusaur can give up Chlorophyll to gain access to its extensive list of egg moves, including Power Whip and Leaf Storm, but this is inadvisable as Venusaur only shines in the sunlight. Nice pun :)</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Venusaur is very difficult to safely counter before Sleep Clause has been activated, but once it has it becomes much more managable. Balloon Heatran walls any set without Hidden Power Fighting or Earthquake. Blissey and Eviolite Chansey are hard stops to special Venusaur thanks to their great Special Defense. Steel-types wall Venusaur lacking Hidden Power Fire, with the exception of ones who that have a secondary typing weak to Grass-type. Auto-weather inducers can't swtich in on Venusaur, but can take away its sunlight and its speed, allowing it to be effortlessly revenge-killed. Whimsicott can switch in while Venusaur uses a boosting move and lock it into that move with a Prankster Encore, or can paralyze Venusaur with Stun Spore to end any chance of a sweep.</p>

Good grammar on the whole. The only real issue is comma use but that is easily fixed. Good job!!!

Thanks for the proofread, it was very helpful. There were a few small things I disagreed with and therefore left unchanged, but I've implemented most of what you suggested.

Unofficial GP check within.

QCs: Iconic, Bloo, Delta 2777

http://veekun.com/dex/pokemon/venusaur

--------------------------------------------------

[Overview]

<p>Previously [This is awkward with the rest of the sentence.] The king of DPP UU before Heracross's short stint in the tier, Venusaur gained a tremendous boost in the transition to 5th generation with its Dream World ability, Chlorophyll. In addition, the move Growth now doubles both attacking stats in sunlight, making Venusaur one of sun's premiere sweepers. Unfortunately Venusaur cannot use Power Whip or the now-buffed Giga Drain with Chlorophyll, somewhat limiting its offensive capabilities. However, even without these moves it is quite dangerous, as although its attacking stats are not exceptional, [Comma added for flow] Growth allows them to reach very threatening levels. Venusaur gets plenty of opportunities to set up with its resistances to Fighting-, Water-, and Electric-type moves and decent bulk. It is very difficult to counter thanks to its access to Sleep Powder, which is even more difficult to handle due to BW sleep mechanics. Although it is rather lackluster without its preferred weather in play, [Comma added] Venusaur is a menace in the sun and should not be taken lightly.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Venusaur is a monster under the sun, capable of running through any team that isn't prepared for it. Life Orb is the preferred item as it provides a substantial boost to Venusaur's offenses. Growth is the most important move in the set, as it boosts Venusaur's Special Attack to deadly levels. As Giga Drain is illegal with Chlorophyll, [Comma added] Energy Ball is Venusaur's preferred STAB [hyphen removed] move. If sufficient team support is run to remove enemy weather inducers, SolarBeam becomes a viable choice for its raw power. Hidden Power Fire is essential, as with it Venusaur can kill any Steel-type, bar Heatran, under the sun with a Growth boost. Sludge Bomb provides a secondary powerful STAB [hyphen removed] move, but Sleep Powder is also an option for its ability to remove nearly any of Venusaur's counters from the game.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs grant maximum offensive potential. Under the sun Venusaur outspeeds Deoxys-S and anything with lower speed, including most Choice Scarf users. Timid can be used to outspeed base 110 Speed Pokemon with a Choice Scarf, but the power loss is noticeable. A Lum Berry can be used to avoid status, but Venusaur needs the power Life Orb provides. Hidden Power Fighting can be used to kill Heatran, who otherwise walls the set. Petal Dance provides a powerful cleaning move, but locks Venusaur into an attack with an easily resisted typing, making it a poor choice overall. Grass Knot is another option over Energy Ball, but the low damage output against Politoed and Rotom-W makes it a problem. Lastly, Synthesis can be used to heal off Life Orb recoil and damage, but Venusaur almost always prefers having an attacking move in the moveslot Synthesis occupies.</p>

<p>It cannot be stressed enough that Drought Ninetales is mandatory support for this set, as without it Venusaur is a subpar sweeper. Venusaur also wants the opponent's weather inducers out of the way, so Wobbuffet is an excellent choice for trapping and killing them. Heatran walls the set completely once Sleep Clause has been activated. Arcanine can switch in on a Fire-type move used by Heatran and KO it with Close Combat, and also benefits from sunlight. Eviolite Chansey and Blissey wall this set completely, and can even negate Sleep Powder with their Natural Cure ability, so a strong physical Pursuit-user such as Scizor can be used to trap and kill them. If Hidden Power Fire is not being run it is recommended that Magnezone be used to trap and kill bothersome Steel-types.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set works off of Venusaur's lesser attack stat in order to catch some of its usual counters off guard. Life Orb is even more important on this set due to Venusaur's substantially lower Attack stat. Growth allows Venusaur to reach an acceptable Attack stat in sunlight. Seed Bomb is Venusaur's strongest physical move as Power Whip is illegal with Chlorophyll. Return provides fantastic neutral coverage, resisted only by Steel-types, Chandelure, and Gengar, while Earthquake can kill any Heatran without Air Balloon and Chandelure at the cost of poorer neutral coverage. Hidden Power Fire kills most Steel-types at +2, although Heatran is immune to the move and specially defensive Jirachi can survive it and paralyze with Thunder Wave or severely injure Venusaur with Fire Punch. Sleep Powder can be used instead to incapacitate a counter, but the inability to harm Steel-types is a problem.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>As Venusaur resists most of the commonly used priority attacks and has enough bulk to take Scizor's Bullet Punch, [Comma Added] Lonely is the preferred nature as it allows Venusaur to maintain its special bulk. The EVs given maximize offensive potential. A Hasty nature can be used to outspeed base 110 Speed Pokemon with a Choice Scarf in sun, but this is not advisable as the power drop is much more detrimental on this set. If Sleep Powder is being run over Hidden Power Fire an Adamant nature should be used instead, as well as perfect IVs, and Swords Dance should be used over Growth so that Venusaur is not completely useless out of sunlight, although it should be noted that Venusaur is not likely to be scoring many KOs without its favorite weather.</p>

<p>This set should never be used without Drought Ninetales. Wobbuffet can trap and kill enemy weather inducers, which is very important for this set. Volcarona greatly benefits from the surprise 2HKOs this can net on Blissey and Eviolite Chansey, and also loves sunlight and having the opponent's Toxic Spikes removed. Magnezone makes a fine partner if Hidden Power Fire is not being run for its ability to trap and kill problematic Steel-types. If Earthquake is not being run Arcanine can be used to deal with Heatran, and if Earthquake is being used Scizor can be used to trap and kill Latios and Latias, who otherwise wall the set. Likewise Slowbro can be employed to deal with Salamence and Dragonite with Ice Beam.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set allows Venusaur to act as a quick-staller. This set's advantages over Whimsicott include Sleep Powder, allowing a free use of Substitute, a resistance to the abundantly used Fighting-type, and auto-absorption of Toxic Spikes, which helps substantially against stall teams. In sunlight Venusaur outspeeds most threats and can use Leech Seed on them before they can attack, allowing it to stall them out with Substitute until Leech Seed bleeds them dry. Substitute blocks status while shielding Venusaur from hits, and the HP lost from creating it is almost fully restored by a turn of Leftovers and Leech Seed recovery. Protect can be used instead to scout for a phazing move or gain a free turn of recovery, but it cannot be used as frequently as Substitute. Hidden Power Fire allows Venusaur to 2HKO most Grass-types in sunlight, who would be untouchable with Leech Seed alone. Sleep Powder gives Venusaur a free turn to do as it pleases, allowing it to set up a Substitute with no cost or throw out a free Leech Seed, letting it begin its stall.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With 12 Speed Venusaur reaches 198 Speed, outpacing positive-natured base 130 Speed Pokemon under the sun. 192 HP give Venusaur a Leftovers number, increasing the amount of healing it recieves receives each turn. 252 Defense with a Bold nature gives maximum physical bulk, and the remainder is placed in Special Defense. Alternatively a An alternate spread of Bold with 192 HP / 86 Def / 232 Spe can be used to be able to use Substitute first on Deoxys-S and anything slower. Synthesis can be used to to heal almost all of Venusaur's health, but with Leech Seed in play Venusaur actually can never gain full use from the move as the net HP recovery would be over 100%. In addition, the low 8 PP hurts Venusaur when it comes to stalling. Protect can be used over Sleep Powder for more efficient stalling, but at the cost of ease of set-up. Toxic can be used to poison Pokemon who would otherwise avoid Toxic Spikes used by an ally, but Venusaur needs the moves it has in order to work efficiently.</p>

<p>Like the sweeper set, Drought Ninetales is critical to this set's success, although this set is not as dependent on it. In addition, Toxic Spikes support is heavily recommended. Tentacruel can set them while also using Rapid Spin to clear entry opposing hazards, and provides a useful resistance to Fire-type moves, which Venusaur greatly appreciates. Reuniclus is immune to both poison and Leech Seed, so Pokemon that can remove it are greatly appreciated. Specially-defensive Spiritomb can trap and kill Reuniclus while also blocking opponents that try to use Rapid Spin in order to clear Toxic Spikes. Wobbuffet makes an excellent partner for this set, as it can trap and kill problem Pokemon and absolutely loves the bolstered recovery a trapped seeded Pokemon provides. Liquid Ooze Tentacruel causes Leech Seed to backfire and can spin away Toxic Spikes. absorbs Toxic Spikes upon arrival. Slowbro with Psyshock deals with Tentacruel rather easily while also countering sand sweepers, a serious threat to sun teams. A paired Magnezone can trap and kill Ferrothorn, allowing Venusaur to run Protect over Hidden Power Fire. In this case 4 Speed EVs can be shifted to Special Defense.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>A Choice set can be used, but the lack of power makes it a poor choice when compared to a boosting set. An Overgrow Swords Dance Venusaur can be used to take advantage of Power Whip, but is mostly outclassed by other physical sweepers. Worry Seed can be used to remove a troublesome Pokemon's ability, but the unreliability of the move and general waste of a moveslot make it a poor choice to use. Venusaur can give up Chlorophyll to gain access to its extensive list of egg moves, including Power Whip and Leaf Storm, but this is inadvisable as Venusaur only shines in the sunlight.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Venusaur is very difficult to safely counter before Sleep Clause has been activated, but once it has it becomes much more managable. Balloon Heatran walls any set without Hidden Power Fighting or Earthquake. Blissey and Eviolite Chansey are hard stops to special Venusaur thanks to their great Special Defense. Steel-types wall Venusaur lacking Hidden Power Fire, with the exception of ones that have a secondary typing weak to Grass. Auto-weather inducers can't swtich in on Venusaur, but can take away its sunlight and its speed, allowing it to be effortlessly revenge-killed. Whimsicott can switch in while Venusaur uses a boosting move and lock it into that move with a Prankster Encore, or can paralyze Venusaur with Stun Spore to end any chance of a sweep.</p>

isn't black sludge an option over leftovers, just make people think before trying to tricking a choice item to venusaur?

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
that strategy doesn't work because they can just trick the black sludge to a nonpoison type and gain that pokes item, ruining that pokemons health

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
remove
add

[Overview]

<p>The king of DPP UU before Heracross's short stint in the tier, Venusaur gained a tremendous boost in the transition to 5th generation with its Dream World ability, Chlorophyll. In addition, the move Growth now doubles both attacking stats in sunlight, making Venusaur one of sun's premiere sweepers. Unfortunately, Venusaur cannot use Power Whip or the now-buffed Giga Drain with Chlorophyll, somewhat limiting its offensive capabilities. However, even without these moves, it is quite dangerous, as although its attacking stats are not exceptional, Growth allows them to reachwith Growth raising Venusaur's attacking stats to very threatening levels. Venusaur gethas plenty of opportunities to set up with its resistances to Fighting-, Water-, and Electric-type moves and decent bulk. It is also very difficult to counter thanks to its access to Sleep Powder, which is even more difficult to handle due to the new BW sleep mechanics. Although it is rather lackluster without its preferred weather in play, Venusaur is a menace in the sun and should not be taken lightly.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Venusaur is a monster under the sun, capable of running through any team that isn't prepared for it. Life Orb is the preferred item as it provides a substantial boost to Venusaur's offenses. Growth is the most important move in the set, as it boosts Venusaur's Special Attack to deadly levels. As Giga Drain is illegal with Chlorophyll, Energy Ball is Venusaur's preferred STAB move. If sufficient team support is run to remove enemy weather inducers, SolarBeam becomes a viable choice for its raw power. Hidden Power Fire is essential, as with it Venusaur can kill any Steel-type, bar Heatran, under the sun with a Growth boost. Sludge Bomb provides a secondary powerful STAB move, but Sleep Powder is also an option for its ability to remove nearly any of Venusaur's counters from the game.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs grant maximum offensive potential. Under the sun, Venusaur outspeeds Deoxys-S and anything with lower speed, including most Choice Scarf users. A Timid nature can be used to outspeed base 110 Speed Pokemon with a Choice Scarf, but the power loss is noticeable. A Lum Berry can be used to avoid status, but Venusaur needs the power that Life Orb provides. Hidden Power Fighting can be used to kill Heatran, who otherwise walls the set. Petal Dance provides a powerful cleaning move, but locks Venusaur into an attack with an easily resisted typing, making it a poor choice overall. Grass Knot is another option over Energy Ball, but the low damage output against Politoed and Rotom-W makes it a problem. Lastly, Synthesis can be used to heal off Life Orb recoil and damage, but Venusaur almost always prefers having an attacking move in the moveslot Synthesis occupies.</p>

<p>It cannot be stressed enough that Drought Ninetales is mandatory support for this set, as without it, Venusaur is a subpar sweeper. Venusaur also wants the opponent's weather inducers out of the way, so Wobbuffet is an excellent choice for trapping and killing them. Heatran walls the set completely once Sleep Clause has been activated. Arcanine can switch in on a Fire-type move used by Heatran and KO it with Close Combat, and also benefits from sunlight. Blissey and Eviolite Chansey and Blissey wall this set completely, and can even negate Sleep Powder with their Natural Cure ability, so a strong physical Pursuit- user such as Scizor can be used to trap and kill them. If Hidden Power Fire is not being run, it is recommended that Magnezone be used to trap and kill bothersome Steel-types.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set works off of Venusaur's lesser Attack stat, in order to catch some of its usual counters off guard. Life Orb is even more important on this set due to Venusaur's substantially lower Attack stat. Growth allows Venusaur to reach an acceptable Attack stat in sunlight. Seed Bomb is Venusaur's strongest physical move, as Power Whip is illegal with Chlorophyll. Return provides fantastic neutral coverage, resisted only by Steel-types, Chandelure, and Gengar, while Earthquake can kill any Chandelure and Heatran without Air Balloon and Chandelure, at the cost of poorer neutral coverage. Hidden Power Fire kills most Steel-types at +2, although Special Attack, but Heatran is immune to the move, and specially defensive Jirachi can survive it and paralyze Venusaur with Thunder Wave, or severely injure Venusaurit with Fire Punch. Sleep Powder can be used instead to incapacitate a counter, but the inability to harm Steel-types is a problem.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>As Venusaur resists most of the commonly used priority attacks and has enough bulk to take Scizor's Bullet Punch, Lonely is the preferred nature, as it allows Venusaur to maintain its special bulk. The EVs given maximize offensive potential. A Hasty nature can be used to outspeed base 110 Speed Pokemon with a Choice Scarf in sun, but this is not advisable as the power drop is much more detrimental on this set. If Sleep Powder is being run over Hidden Power Fire, an Adamant nature should be used instead, as well as perfect IVs, and Swords Dance should be used over Growth so that Venusaur is not completely useless out of sunlight, although it should be noted that Venusaur is not likely to be scoring many KOs without its favorite weather.</p>

<p>This set should never be used without Drought Ninetales. Wobbuffet can trap and kill enemy weather inducers, which is very important for this set. Volcarona greatly benefits from the surprise 2HKOs this can net on Blissey and Eviolite Chansey, and also loves sunlight and having the opponent's Toxic Spikes removed. Magnezone makes a fine partner if Hidden Power Fire is not being run for its ability to trap and kill problematic Steel-types. If Earthquake is not being runused, Arcanine can be used to deal with Heatran, and if Earthquake is being used Scizor can be used to trap and kill Latios and Latias, who otherwise wall the set. Likewise, Slowbro can be employed to deal with Salamence and Dragonite with Ice Beam.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set allows Venusaur to act as a quick-staller. This set's advantages over Whimsicott include Sleep Powder, allowing a free use of Substitute, a resistance to the abundantly used Fighting-type, and auto-absorption of Toxic Spikes, which helps substantially against stall teams. In sunlight, Venusaur outspeeds most threats, and can use Leech Seed on them before they can attack, allowing it to stall them out with Substitute until Leech Seed bleeds them dry. Substitute blocks status while shielding Venusaur from hits, and the HP lost from creating it is almost fully restored by a turn of Leftovers and Leech Seed recovery. Protect can be used instead, to scout for a phazing move or gain a free turn of recovery, but it cannot be used as frequently as Substitute. Hidden Power Fire allows Venusaur to 2HKO most Grass-types in sunlight, who would be untouchable with Leech Seed alone. Sleep Powder gives Venusaur a free turn to do as it pleases, allowing it to set up a Substitute with no cost or throw out a free Leech Seed, letting it begin its stall.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With 12 Speed EVs, Venusaur reaches 198 Speed, outpacing positive-natured base 130 Speed Pokemon under the sun. 192 HP EVs give Venusaur a Leftovers number, increasing the amount of healing it receives each turn. 252 Defense EVs with a Bold nature gives maximum physical bulk, and the remainder is placed in Special Defense. An alternate spread of Bold with 192 HP / 86 Def / 232 Spe can be used to be able to use Substitute first on Deoxys-S and anything slower. Synthesis can be used to to heal almost all of Venusaur's health, but with Leech Seed in play, Venusaur actually can never gain full use from the move as the net HP recovery would be over 100%. In addition, the low 8 PP hurts Venusaur when it comes to stalling. Protect can be used over Sleep Powder for more efficient stalling, but at the cost of ease of set-up. Toxic can be used to poison Pokemon who would otherwise avoid Toxic Spikes used by an ally, but Venusaur needs the moves it has in order to work efficiently.</p>

<p>Like the sweeper set, Drought Ninetales is critical to this set's success, although this set is not as dependent on it. In addition, Toxic Spikes support is heavily recommended. Tentacruel can set them while also using Rapid Spin to clear away opposing entry hazards, and provides a useful resistance to Fire-type moves, which Venusaur greatly appreciates. Reuniclus is immune to both poison and Leech Seed, so Pokemon that can remove it are greatly appreciated. Specially- defensive Spiritomb can trap and kill Reuniclus, while also blocking opponents that try to use Rapid Spin in order to clear Toxic Spikes. Wobbuffet makes an excellent partner for this set, as it can trap and kill problem Pokemon, and absolutely loves the bolstered recovery a trapped seeded Pokemon under Leech Seed provides. Liquid Ooze Tentacruel causes Leech Seed to backfire, and absorbs Toxic Spikes upon arrival. Slowbro with Psyshock deals with Tentacruel rather easily, while also countering sand sweepers, a serious threat to sun teams. A paired Magnezone teammate can trap and kill Ferrothorn, allowing Venusaur to run Protect over Hidden Power Fire. In this case, 4 Speed EVs can be shifted to Special Defense.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>A Choice set can be used, but the lack of power makes it a poor choice when compared to a boosting set. An Overgrow Swords Dance Venusaur can be used to take advantage of Power Whip, but is mostly outclassed by other physical sweepers. Worry Seed can be used to remove a troublesome Pokemon's ability, but the unreliability of the move and general waste of a moveslot make it a poor choice to use. Venusaur can give up Chlorophyll to gain access to its extensive list of egg moves, including Power Whip and Leaf Storm, but this is inadvisable as Venusaur only shines in the sunlight.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Venusaur is very difficult to safely counter before Sleep Clause has been activated, but once it has it becomes much more managable. Balloon Heatran walls any set without Hidden Power Fighting or Earthquake. Blissey and Eviolite Chansey are hard stops to special Venusaur thanks to their great Special Defense. Steel-types wall Venusaur lacking Hidden Power Fire, with the exception of ones that have a secondary typing weak to Grass. Auto-weather Weather inducers can't switch in on Venusaur, but can take away its sunlight and its speed, allowing it to be effortlessly revenge-killed. Whimsicott can switch in while Venusaur uses a boosting move, and lock it into that move with a Prankster Encore, or can paralyze Venusaur with Stun Spore to end any chance of a sweep.</p>
I'm not a member of the GP team, but I hope this helps a bit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)