move 3: Endeavor
move 4: Energy Ball / Quiver Dance
ability: Compound Eyes
item: Focus Sash
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

A 97.5% accurate Sleep Powder allows Vivillon to cripple anything slower than it. Hurricane is a very strong STAB move that's boosted to above 90% accuracy with Compound Eyes, and thanks to NU's lack of Pokemon that resist Flying coupled with Hurricane's high Base Power and 30% confusion chance, it's a hassle to switch into. Endeavor allows Vivillon to cripple Pokemon once brought down to its Focus Sash; if Vivillon can cripple a wall early-game, it can open up a hole and put its team in a very favourable position. Energy Ball beats Rhydon, which would otherwise OHKO Vivillon with Rock Blast, and is useful to surprise lead Seismitoad. Quiver Dance allows Vivillon to sweep if the opportunity were to arises, and it prevents Vivillon from being a sitting duck waiting to be brought down to its Focus Sash, while allowing Vivillon it to get off an Endeavor against faster Pokemon. Stun Spore can be used to cripple faster Pokemon such as Jynx, Typhlosion, and Archeops; the paralysis can also be followed up with a Hurricane in an attempt at parafusion. Bug Buzz can be used if your team struggles with Malamar, as it will always OHKO; it also allows Vivillon to hit Rock-types such as Regirock and Rhydon harder than it would with Hurricane.

Set Details
========

Focus Sash allows Vivillon to survive almost any attack with 1 HP, allowing it to make full use of Endeavor. Maximum investment in Speed lets Vivillon outspeed as much many foes as possible, allowing it to get off Sleep Powder, while maximum Special Attack is used to make Hurricane as threatening as possible. Compound Eyes is used to boost the accuracy of Vivillon's two most important moves, Sleep Powder and Hurricane.

Usage Tips
========

Against most teams you lead with Vivillon and click Sleep Powder. Then, proceed to fire off Hurricanes until Vivillon is brought down to its Focus Sash. Follow that up with an Endeavor, and then enjoy your lead in the battle. If the opponent has a team structure that probably contains lead Archeops, it's best to avoid leading with Vivillon, as Archeops can simply Taunt Vivillon, preventing it from doing much of anything to Archeops. Lead Archeops is commonly seen on hyper offensive teams, and effective counter-leads include Volt Switch users such as Rotom. You can preserve Vivillon's Focus Sash versus against offensive teams if you find it would be more useful, as it can act as an emergency check later on in the game if it still has its Focus Sash intact. Likewise, against slower teams, you can preserve Vivillon once it gets down to 1 HP if you're certain you can keep Stealth Rock off the field; being able to get off multiple 1 HP Endeavors can be devastating to a slower, bulkier team. As this set is generally used as a lead, Sleep Powder is Vivillon's primary way of preventing entry hazards from being set up. Against potential Fake Out users such as Kangaskhan, Hariyama, and Kecleon, it's wise to switch Vivillon out to preserve its Focus Sash for later in the battle. Ferroseed is a useful teammate to punish weak Fake Outs with Iron Barbs damage; however, it must be wary of Fighting-type STAB moves from the latter two Pokemon Hariyama and Kecleon.

Team Options
========

Pokemon such as Archeops and Scyther appreciate foes that resist Flying, which Vivillon is capable of luring in and weakening with Endeavor, being worn down. Offensive Pokemon such as Mesprit, Kangaskhan, Rotom, Scyther, Samurott, and Lilligant appreciate the disruption Vivillon causes early on, as it grants the team instant momentum which they can take advantage of. Examples of such Pokemon include Mesprit, Kangaskhan, Rotom, Scyther, Samurott, and Lilligant. Powerful Pokemon such as Typhlosion, Sawk, and Zangoose can really wreak havoc on an opponent's team if its dedicated stop is surprised by a crippling Endeavor from Vivillon early on. Having Steel-types, specifically Ferroseed, to cover Vivillon's hatred of Fake Out users such as Kangaskhan is appreciated. Pokemon that keep entry hazards off your side of the field, such as Xatu and Mantine, are useful to maintain Vivillon's Focus Sash if the opponent gets up entry hazards.

GP
/

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
change 97.5% accurate sleep powder to 97% accurate. in pokemon, the decimal is simply dropped

I'd also change hurricanes "Above 90" accuracy to "Hurricane's 91% accuracy"

Last edited:

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
change 97.5% accurate sleep powder to 97% accurate. in pokemon, the decimal is simply dropped
I've never heard of this before and i don't see a reason why this would be the case. Is this a grammar standard I don't know of, or can you confirm this with a source or have statistical evidence?

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
I've never heard of this before and i don't see a reason why this would be the case. Is this a grammar standard I don't know of, or can you confirm this with a source or have statistical evidence?
can confirm that's actually how Pokemon deals with decimals, they just remove everything after the .
but I really don't think it matters too much for a written analysis, lol. Will change it anyway though.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
If I wasn't being clear, I was asking for a source because all previous Butterfree analyses and such has always had 97.5% accuracy listed as the compoundeyes boosted Sleep Powder accuracy. I'm just asking for a concrete source because I couldn't find one googling around. If this is the case I'm pretty sure there's a lot of more stuff to be fixed beyond a couple entries in irrelevant butterfree analyses: I know that crits are mentioned to have 1/16 probability of happening, but if this is true, it'll be 6%, not 1/16. I've never seen a single source say crits have 6% chance, instead of 6.25%. I'm pretty sure PS! Works with 1/16 crit chance, too.

Not saying this is bs, but if this is true a lot of on site content will have to be changed, so I wanted to make sure that this is true before jumping the gun.

I understand in every other cases "number past the decimal point is removed" but in every programming language i've seen I've never seen one that deals with probabilities using integer percentages; they usually deal with them using a number between 0 and 1, which was why I thought such rounding system would be rather arbitrary.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If I wasn't being clear, I was asking for a source because all previous Butterfree analyses and such has always had 97.5% accuracy listed as the compoundeyes boosted Sleep Powder accuracy. I'm just asking for a concrete source because I couldn't find one googling around. If this is the case I'm pretty sure there's a lot of more stuff to be fixed beyond a couple entries in irrelevant butterfree analyses: I know that crits are mentioned to have 1/16 probability of happening, but if this is true, it'll be 6%, not 1/16. I've never seen a single source say crits have 6% chance, instead of 6.25%. I'm pretty sure PS! Works with 1/16 crit chance, too.

Not saying this is bs, but if this is true a lot of on site content will have to be changed, so I wanted to make sure that this is true before jumping the gun.

I understand in every other cases "number past the decimal point is removed" but in every programming language i've seen I've never seen one that deals with probabilities using integer percentages; they usually deal with them using a number between 0 and 1, which was why I thought such rounding system would be rather arbitrary.
as far as I'm aware it only happens as the end result of a calculation, like if 1/16 of your health was 12.34 hp or w.e then it would always do 12. same thing goes for damage calculations off attacks, you can't actually do 23.532 damage so it does 23. I'm not sure how this applies to accuracy however and it might be entirely different than in HP calculations. unless someone can research this in game code or find a reliable source i think 97.5 is fine. lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)