Battle Spot Volcarona Preview [Singles]

[OVERVIEW]

Volcarona makes its return from XY, more powerful than ever. Benefiting from a unique offensive typing and Quiver Dance for setup, Volcarona is a force to be reckoned with in the current metagame, capable of defeating common walls such as Cresselia and Celesteela. While this typing grants powerful STAB, it does add a crippling weakness to common offensive typings including Flying, Water, and a 4x weakness to rock. While powerful initially, Volcarona does require setup to fully perform, and has a rather awkward movepool which forces it to chose what it can and can't beat with coverage options.

Below is a sample set. This set is likely to be the standard, but it will be expanded upon and updated as the metagame progresses.

[SET] Special Sweeper
move 1: Quiver Dance
move 2: Fire Blast / Flamethrower / Fiery Dance
move 3: Bug Buzz
move 4: Giga Drain / Hidden Power Ground / Hidden Power Ice
item: Focus Sash / Lum Berry / Firium-Z / Buginium-Z
ability: Flame Body
nature: Timid / Modest
evs: 252 Spa / 4 Spd / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Quiver Dance is the focus of this set, allowing Volcarona to sweep.

* Fire Blast is the primary STAB option, hitting much harder than Flamethrower but at the cost of accuracy. Flamethrower does miss out on some OHKO opportunities which Fire Blast however can have, such as Celesteela (68.8%) and Mega-Metagross (Guaranteed OHKO). Fiery Dance can be used over Flamethrower for an increased snowball effect.

* Bug Buzz is a STAB option which can hit through common Pokemon which abuse Substitute such as Mega-Gyarados and Suicine, while also providing a way of taking on Dragon-Types if you use Hidden Power Ground.

* Giga drain provides a minor form of recovery and hits both Tapu Fini and Azumarill which would otherwise wall Volcarona. Hidden Power Ground hits Heatran, Alolan-Marowak and Blaziken which would usually wall Volcarona, while Hidden Power Ice hits Garchomp, Landorus and Mega-Salamence as well as Ground-types in general if you don't carry Giga Drain.

* Focus Sash ensures that Volcarona can setup at least one Quiver Dance, Lum Berry prevents Toxic from putting a timer on Volcarona and gives a free turn of setup, while also preventing Paralysis which is a huge momentum drainer for Volcarona. Firium-Z helps break bulky Pokemon such as Porygon2 while Buginium-Z at +1 can OHKO both Suicune and Rotom-W, while also providing utility vs Dragon-types.

* The EV spread suggested is optimal for a special sweeper. Timid is suggested granting maximum speed and the ability to outspeed Choice Scarf TApu Lele at +1. However, Modest can be used with Flamethrower for a more accurate and still powerful STAB option, although this does make you slower than Timid Porygon-z and Timid Landorus-T.

* While sporting some good resistances, poor physical bulk means that Volcarona appreciates a partner which can easily sponge up hits. Alternatively. A weakness to Flying and Rock suggests that a Landorus-T, Tyranitar and Mega-Salamence check or counter is needed. Volcarona is also completely walled by Rotom-H, and needs a teammate which can deal with it. Tapu Lele can also be used as a nice partner as Psychic Terrain makes Volcarona immune to pokemon carrying priority options such as Aqua Jet Azumarill and Quick Attack Mega-Pinsir.

* Flame Body is the preferred ability due to its potential ability to punish Pokemon using contact moves, however swarm can be used nicely with Focus Sash, being able to OHKO Tapu Lele and Garchomp at +1 with Bug Buzz when at 1/3 HP or less.

[SET] Choice Special Attacker
move 1: Fire Blast / Overheat
move 2: Bug Buzz
move 3: Fiery Dance / Overheat / Giga Drain
move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Ground
item: Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
ability: Flame Body
nature: Timid / Modest
evs: 252 Spa / 4 Spd / 252 Spe

* Choice Scarf makes Volcarona an excellent revenge killer, able to outspeed prominent threats such as Choice Scarf Tapu Lele, +2 Adamant Shell Smash Adamant Cloyster, Tapu Koko and Mega-Metagross.

* Choice Specs turn Volcarona into a powerful special wallbreaker capable of breaking bulky threats such as Porygon2 and Cresselia.

* Fire Blast is the primary STAB option of choice, however overheat can be used for a higher initial damage output.

* Bug Buzz assists in getting through common substitute pokemon such as Suicune, while also able to break Cresselia and hit Dragon-types if using Hidden Power ground.

* Fiery Dance can be used in order to entice a snowball effect which can be difficult to stop, whilst Giga Drain is a source of recovery while preventing Volcarona getting walled by the likes of Tapu Fini and Azumarill.

* Hidden Power Ice is used to notably slam Landorus-T, Garchomp and Mega-Salamence while Hidden Power Ground can lure in and deal damage to common Flash Fire Pokemon such as Heatran and Chandelure.

* A Timid nature ensures that Choice Scarf Volcarona can outspeed Timid Choice Scarf Tapu Lele, however a Modest nature should be used with Choice Specs to maximise wallbreaking capacity. This does however place Volcarona slower than maximum speed Mega-Kangaskhan, Mimikyu, and Landorus-T.

* The EV spread given is optimal for a Choice set.

* Complete lack of physical bulk means that Volcarona needs a bulky partner to sponge physical hits. A fast revenge killer would also be appreciated to pick off threats which Volcarona has weakened.

Last edited:

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Time to check!

-I'd mention in the overview that Volcarona is capable of defeating some common walls due to its typing and access to Quiver Dance, such as Cresselia and Celesteela.

-I'd mention in the set comments that Flame Body is usually the preferred ability since it can potentially punish Pokemon that use contact moves.

-I'd mention Heatran in the Hidden Power Ground targets, since that's probably one of the most common Volcarona walls otherwise. Blaziken is also a good target to mention for that since it resists all of Volcarona's other stuff.

-Mention that Timid outspeeds Choice Scarf Tapu Lele after one Quiver Dance, which is pretty important!

Put Giga Drain slashed with Hidden Powers and Bug Buzz alone by itself imo.

Fiery Dance is probably better than Flamethrower I think. The snowball potential will often be better than the initial 10 extra BP.

I think Ice should be slashed before Ground. Salamence is traditionally much more common than Heatran and I think that'll be even moreso this Gen, so hitting mence is more important imo.

When you talk about Bug z move mention Suicune and Rotom-W as targets.

When you talk about Giga Drain you say Rotom-W walls Volc otherwise, I'd mention Azumarill instead. Rotom-W takes a lot from Buzz/gets OHKO'd by zmove.

Consider adding a Choice set with Scarf/Specs. This was something that ended up being really common late-ORAS on high level teams. It may end up being a thing again.

Idk if this should be mentioned in the overview or somewhere else, not sure how exactly these previews go about, but somewhere you should mention that Volc's frailness on the physical side leaves it somewhat weak to priority. So Tapu Lele is a good team option to help with that.

Also mention somewhere that Stealth Rocks are really useful cause many common Sash users can revenge Volc.

Last edited:
Thanks NOVED, added in some of that stuff!

Fiery Dance was added as a slash, added in Rotom-W as another Z-Bug Buzz target (It can't OHKO Suicune or pass through sub so I left it out), swapped Rotom-W for Azumarill, and gave a small mention to Tapu Lele.

The rest of the stuff I left out since it's kind of opinionated and probably needs some further discussion with other QC members. Personally, I don't find Bug Buzz to be worthy of taking its own move slot 100% of the time. I am leaning toward HP Ice over HP Ground in the slash options, but I think that one needs further discussion as well.

Thanks NOVED, added in some of that stuff!

Fiery Dance was added as a slash, added in Rotom-W as another Z-Bug Buzz target (It can't OHKO Suicune or pass through sub so I left it out), swapped Rotom-W for Azumarill, and gave a small mention to Tapu Lele.

The rest of the stuff I left out since it's kind of opinionated and probably needs some further discussion with other QC members. Personally, I don't find Bug Buzz to be worthy of taking its own move slot 100% of the time. I am leaning toward HP Ice over HP Ground in the slash options, but I think that one needs further discussion as well.
What do you mean when you say Z-Bug Buzz doesnt OHKO Suicune? It does at +1 and that's all that really matters. Sure scald is only doing 30-40 after spdef boost but if you set up on something earlier you might be in range of that in many games and picking up the OHKO to continue your sweep can be big on such a common poke.

And I think Bug Buzz is worthy of it's own slot cause if you're running Blast/Giga/HP your only STAB is 85% accurate in a lot of situations where a 100% acc STAB move would've done the job. Without out it Cress is setting up TR or Twaving you, Hydrei & Lati can Draco you, Ttar can revenge you even after hazards, and you're gonna give your opponents 15% chances(or more) to win the game in a lot of situations where you could've avoided that running Buzz. Bug Buzz was the most common attack on Volc last gen for good reason imo, consistency is good.

What do you mean when you say Z-Bug Buzz doesnt OHKO Suicune? It does at +1 and that's all that really matters. Sure scald is only doing 30-40 after spdef boost but if you set up on something earlier you might be in range of that in many games and picking up the OHKO to continue your sweep can be big on such a common poke.

And I think Bug Buzz is worthy of it's own slot cause if you're running Blast/Giga/HP your only STAB is 85% accurate in a lot of situations where a 100% acc STAB move would've done the job. Without out it Cress is setting up TR or Twaving you, Hydrei & Lati can Draco you, Ttar can revenge you even after hazards, and you're gonna give your opponents 15% chances(or more) to win the game in a lot of situations where you could've avoided that running Buzz. Bug Buzz was the most common attack on Volc last gen for good reason imo, consistency is good.
Was referring to it being non boosted. Changed the order to Bug Buzz / Giga Drain, Hidden Power order still needs to be discussed. Last gen's analysis didn't have Bug Buzz as a slash, and I'd argue that Bug Buzz hasn't exactly gotten better with all these Fairies around, so I'm still not really convinced that it deserves its own slot (but again, probably needs further discussion still)

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Tbh after thinking about it, Bug Buzz probably deserves its own slot because blasting Cresselia and Tyranitar is really hard to give up. I don't mind a mention of replacing it, but that's a really team specific thing imo.

Also, I can help with the choice set if you want, I have some experience with that from last gen.

Tbh after thinking about it, Bug Buzz probably deserves its own slot because blasting Cresselia and Tyranitar is really hard to give up. I don't mind a mention of replacing it, but that's a really team specific thing imo.

Also, I can help with the choice set if you want, I have some experience with that from last gen.
Alright then, I suppose I'll change Bug Buzz around. And help with that choice set would be really good thanks!

Was referring to it being non boosted. Changed the order to Bug Buzz / Giga Drain, Hidden Power order still needs to be discussed. Last gen's analysis didn't have Bug Buzz as a slash, and I'd argue that Bug Buzz hasn't exactly gotten better with all these Fairies around, so I'm still not really convinced that it deserves its own slot (but again, probably needs further discussion still)

And like I said earlier, I think Suicune should be mentioned as a reason to run Bug-Z. IMO it's the biggest reason to run it over Fire-Z. Dragon-types/Garchomp don't matter much cause you have HP Ice most of the time. I'd even just replace the mention of Chomp with Suicune. Especially don't say unboosted, cause Chomp is gonna just OHKO you before you attack unboosted. In general you should just assume you're at +1 when talking about Z-moves cause that's the point of the set.

edit @ below: yeah tbh looking at the thread for that analysis i blame that on the 2 qc check process we had at the time.

Last edited:

And like I said earlier, I think Suicune should be mentioned as a reason to run Bug-Z. IMO it's the biggest reason to run it over Fire-Z. Dragon-types/Garchomp don't matter much cause you have HP Ice most of the time. I'd even just replace the mention of Chomp with Suicune. Especially don't say unboosted, cause Chomp is gonna just OHKO you before you attack unboosted. In general you should just assume you're at +1 when talking about Z-moves cause that's the point of the set.
Oh sorry, by "Bug Buzz as a slash" I mean it didn't sit there by itself without a slash. Will implement those other suggestions though!

Theorymon

Only thing I'd add is that Lum Berry is also nice for preventing paralysis. While Thunder Wave isn't as common as it used to be, its still a problem for Volcarona.

Otherwise, this looks fine to me, I'll give it a stamp after you implement this.

Theorymon

Uploaded! Just something to remember for the future dogknees : there is no dash between the crystal and the z (so Normalium Z, not Normalium-Z), and you forgot to put the set comments tag below the 2nd set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)