Walter Cronkite died

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I think this is a bit different of a celebrity death than the others that have been going around lately, and also one I care vastly more about.

Has another reason to get choked upp......\

RIP Walter Cronkite. Aged 92. I am however glad he is not suffering, because
Cerebrovascular disease is not fun.....

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I honestly thought he was already dead (and I'm sure many others did too).

Anyways, RIP

92 is really impressive...my great great grandma lived to be in her 90s and my great grandma is alive, at 85 today. She just got drunk recently like its 60 years ago...

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
TBQH what our generation needs is a news anchor we can actually trust like Walter Cronkite, I think thats why nobody watches the TV news any more. I can't take Katie Couric seriously at all, and Brian Williams is only slightly better.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Walter Cronkite's insertion of himself as the news rather than reporting the news marked the decline of journalism. Every news anchor today wants to be the next Walter Cronkite, for all the wrong reasons.

Unfortunately, they forgot that until Cronkite reported his personal opinion of the Tet Offensive aftermath, he was actually a credible journalist, not a hack talking-head pretending to hold the mantle of unimpassioned objectivity. The only thing today's "journalists" want to emulate about Kronkite is his single greatest mistake.

Dan Rather's entire career is an example of this, as Kronkite's literal successor. The "fake but accurate" Bush National Guard fabrication will haunt Rather forever.

And now they have Katie Couric. Restrain yourself from laughter, please. CBS has fallen very, very far.

Rest in Peace Walter. Too bad that much like like Marx, your legacy inspired a steep downward trend in world quality. In your case the profession of journalism, in his case, well, "Communist Manifesto" speaks for itself.

Apparently being 'objective' is more important than pursuing the truth. I'd say media conglomeration and sycophancy toward centres of authority is a far worse trend in journalism. We need more John Pilgers and Seymour Hershs to reverse the death spiral of real investigative journalism. I do find it interesting, though, that you managed to work Marx into a post where he is completely irrelevant. I half expected to see a transition into a multi-paragraph rant against Obama, but for once you disappoint.

A good article: http://www.commondreams.org/view/2009/07/18-4#

RIP

Deck Knight

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Apparently being 'objective' is more important than pursuing the truth.
Yes. Or have you not heard "We report, you decide." People seeking truth do exist in journalism: They write the editorials. Hard News and Editorials are supposed to be two separate entities governed by two different sets of rules. Cronkite was the first to break it, and every journalist since has focused entirely on reproducing a moment to launch them to national relevance or win them a Pulitzer.

I'd say media conglomeration and sycophancy toward centres of authority is a far worse trend in journalism. We need more John Pilgers and Seymour Hershs to reverse the death spiral of real investigative journalism. I do find it interesting, though, that you managed to work Marx into a post where he is completely irrelevant.
His relevance is in the context of being a mostly neutral figure whose legacy turned into a death knell for standards in society. It's inarguable that the world would have been a better place if the Communist Manifesto and all it's inherent class warfare and economically nonviable nonsense had never been put to paper. I was simply drawing a comparison. Each new iteration of Marx's misguided but largely harmless ideas became more brutal, vicious, and inhumane, just as each successive generation after Cronkite has become less and less reporter and more and more editorializer.

I will agree they all serve at the behest of the government though, with the caveat that it is always to the benefit of the left whenever possible. NYTimes classified info leaks can't be cheap to produce.

I half expected to see a transition into a multi-paragraph rant against Obama, but for once you disappoint.
His Majesty will be influential, also for all the wrong reasons. There will still be people 40 years from now with Obama '08 stickers on their cars, however. The only event they've considered "humanizing" for their Messiah so far was his choice of "mom jeans" for his all-star pitch. Interestingly, his pitch was just like all his other actions: weak, effeminate, and over-exposed. I hope this will be a suitable substitute for multiple paragraphs.

Also Glenn Greenwald lol. Glenn Greenwald is the professional equivalent of jjfun, infamous for posting praise for his own articles with different alts.

i'm sad that he's gone, but this time i will agree with DK, Cronkite is no Edward Murrow, and honestly, we need another Murrow to improve the quality of the current news media.

Deck Knight

Deck Knight. Do you just argue for the hell of it?
I report, you decide.

No media person will ever be as influential as Cronkite simply because the media has changed. There are no longer 3 networks serving as America's major news source. This is probably a change for the better.

Did Cronkite have any children? Whenever people send condolences for the family, 92 year old's probably don't have any surviving relatives who aren't a spouse, offspring or the offspring of brothers and sisters.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As much as I hate to say it, I agree with Deck Knight on this one. Cronkite's introduction of opinion into news has paved the way for the journalistic shit heap that we live in today. Even if Cronkite himself wasn't that bad, the popularity of his legacy is what causes people to pass things like Glenn Beck nodding in approval as his guests say how America needs another terrorist attack as "news". Instead of getting the news, we now receive whatever asinine opinions we are willing to subject ourselves to, whether its the liberal watching msnbc or the conservative watching fox. We now live in a place where news organizations are allowed and expected to advertise their own biases instead of just giving the facts.

TBQH what our generation needs is a news anchor we can actually trust like Walter Cronkite, I think thats why nobody watches the TV news any more. I can't take Katie Couric seriously at all, and Brian Williams is only slightly better.
No it's because all the local news reports about is celebrities. It's a joke every news episode you hear about who the latest hollywood breakup is...it gets annoying after a while

P.S. RIP Walter Cronkite

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
No it's because all the local news reports about is celebrities. It's a joke every news episode you hear about who the latest hollywood breakup is...it gets annoying after a while

P.S. RIP Walter Cronkite
Devoting the entire newscast to serious matters is a part of trust; I cannot take any "feel good" stories on the national news seriously either. Save it for the local news. The reason I bring that up is because at least the national news has the courtesy to avoid most celebrity gossip.

Devoting the entire newscast to serious matters is a part of trust; I cannot take any "feel good" stories on the national news seriously either. Save it for the local news. The reason I bring that up is because at least the national news has the courtesy to avoid most celebrity gossip.
Yea the national news is usually better since they don't report on celebrities (unless it involves Michael Jackson)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)