what is the weirdest thing you have eaten

yo

there are plenty of completely legal ways to buy sell and eat sea turtle eggs

I was watching an ocean series on Netflix the other day, and in Costa Rica, for example, there's a very short sea turtle egg gathering season. Its 100% legal. The conservationists there let the locals gather the first few waves of turtle eggs because they're all going to get dug up or crushed by the later turtles anyway.

so calm down
(I love snopes.com :p)
In my previous post, I said most countries, so I do know there are some countries that you can do it legally, but that still doesn't make it right. Also the harvesting in Costa Rica is very controversial, and I hoping it is made illegal.

The reason why I'm so worked up about this is that sea turtles are one of my favorite animals and it saddens me that us humans are contributing to their extinction. It was also some hero's attitude, how he laughed and said it wasn't a big deal. It's one thing that he just didn't know that that it was illegal and that they are endangered/threaten, but it's like he doesn't care if they go extinct, which greatly pissed me off. So no, I won't calm down because this is something very I'm passionate about, and even though what I do is probably insignificant, I like to think I'm contributing to their conservation.

Edit: Anyway, I've also tried rabbit(I live in Virginia so a lot of people eat it around here) and I didn't like it. It might of been the way the person prepared it, but it was really greasy. I've ate calamari and it wasn't that bad; very chewy though.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I completely understand what you're saying about conservation. I have a heart for conservation too. I'm the kind of guy who'll hike miles downstream and jump in the river to grab one of my plastic bags if it gets picked up by the wind and tossed into the river (several times). But at least according to what I've read, and the documentaries I've watched, those eggs were going to be trampled and dug up anyway by the thousands of turtles nesting on that same beach the next day. If they're just going to get crushed and wasted, I'm personally all for harvesting an amount, within pre-determined boundaries and limits and times. But trust me, I do understand your passion and your position.

Speaking of turtles...

Softshell turtle. It looks so bad, but that's probably because I had no idea what I was doing when I filleted it. It tastes incredibly good. My wife soaked it in salt water for an hour, but its still got that wonderful, strong, wild taste to it, its just not unbearable like snapping turtle though. It sort of tastes like, and has the texture of beef, but not exactly the same. I'm eating it right now.

And why on earth wouldn't people eat frog legs? We have frogs jumping all over the place here.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Jesus, you guys eat some weird shit.

Oxtails or rabbit is probably as 'exotic' as I've gotten so far.

meddle

boomer user
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have eaten a very small piece of hakarl. This probably isn't the weirdest thing I've ever eaten, but it is definitely the worst thing you can ever eat.

If I had to describe it, it's like putting urine-soaked cheese in your mouth. Yup, that bad.

(for those who don't click the link, hakarl is basically rotting shark; it's a delicacy in Iceland)

wikipedia article said:
Anthony Bourdain, who has travelled extensively throughout the world sampling local cuisine for his Travel Channel show No Reservations, has described hákarl as "the single worst, most disgusting and terrible tasting thing" he has ever eaten
Wow, that's hardcore.

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
How is vagina gross? You're not chewing it you're just using your tongue to pleasure someone.
Well some can be....blue waffle or unclean ones....nuff said

on topic, I'm a pretty fussy eater when it comes to meat that aren't mainstream...when I was a kid I tried veal and thought that was weird for a while (I hated it). I almost exclusively eat chicken/turkey as I'm not a huge fan of red meat. So I will second Hipmonlee's post of cheese, because it is pretty fucking weird when you think about it!

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Actually, now that I think about it, the weirdest thing I've eaten were blue waffles.

I was on vacation with some friends, and the one brought a waffle maker from home. The night before, he said he'd make us all breakfast. He snuck in something (I'm assuming blue food coloring) and served us blue waffles. I ate them, and they were delicious. Though some people just couldn't. More for me.

And why on earth wouldn't people eat frog legs? We have frogs jumping all over the place here.
Probably because you'd be contributing to the extinction of a whole class of animals that already has major issues surviving due to... well, a hell of a lot of issues. Not really worth it, I'd say. Also you may be stretching a bit if you're assuming that some hero went to the beach to steal the eggs at the "right" time, it's just as likely that he went during one of the late nestings and destroyed eggs that weren't doomed until he got there.

Anyway, I don't think I've ever eaten anything particularly weird (unless unknowingly eating food covered in ants counts), but I do feel guilty about eating shark fin soup back when I was a teenager and had no idea what goes into farming the fins. It was pretty bland.

I completely understand what you're saying about conservation. I have a heart for conservation too. I'm the kind of guy who'll hike miles downstream and jump in the river to grab one of my plastic bags if it gets picked up by the wind and tossed into the river (several times). But at least according to what I've read, and the documentaries I've watched, those eggs were going to be trampled and dug up anyway by the thousands of turtles nesting on that same beach the next day. If they're just going to get crushed and wasted, I'm personally all for harvesting an amount, within pre-determined boundaries and limits and times. But trust me, I do understand your passion and your position.
That's fair enough, I still think it's wrong, but I respect your opinion and thank you for understanding mine.

Speaking of turtles...

[pic]

Softshell turtle. It looks so bad, but that's probably because I had no idea what I was doing when I filleted it. It tastes incredibly good. My wife soaked it in salt water for an hour, but its still got that wonderful, strong, wild taste to it, its just not unbearable like snapping turtle though. It sort of tastes like, and has the texture of beef, but not exactly the same. I'm eating it right now.

Tbh, that almost made me throw up. I know people like to eat turtles, snakes, frogs, etc., but to me, it's like eating a dog or a cat. :\

Cow stomach (tripe), feet, head, intestines, tongue, lung and liver are eaten in Turkey, so those, probably.

Tripe soup (işkembe) tastes pretty good. Sliced tongue goes pretty well in sandwiches, but has a pretty strong taste on its own. Others, I don't like much.

aurora

vandaag om
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm a very, very bland person when it comes to food; thus, the weirdest food I can lay claim to eating would have to be crab legs at an all-you-can eat buffet during an American holiday four years ago.

Unsurprisingly, I was ill the next day.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I'm a very, very bland person when it comes to food; thus, the weirdest food I can lay claim to eating would have to be crab legs at an all-you-can eat buffet during an American holiday four years ago.

Unsurprisingly, I was ill the next day.
? Not only is crab like not a weird food at all but i've eaten a pound of crab legs or more on multiple occasions and not gotten sick....
of course, living in maryland my opinion on crab should be taken with a grain of salt

depending on some nationalities depends on what people find wierd i guess i would have to say snail marinated in some wierd sauce i dont know how the french can eat snails i have also eaten kangaroo before and some really funky tasting cough lolly...

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Tbh, that almost made me throw up. I know people like to eat turtles, snakes, frogs, etc., but to me, it's like eating a dog or a cat. :\
Haha! I know exactly what you mean. Eating turtle is extremely rare, even in this area. The last time I ate turtle was... 13 years ago. A friend of my parents captured an extremely large snapping turtle (not the endangered alligator snapping turtle, a common snapping turtle). He chopped it up and we fried it. It was really strong meat. I'm the only person I know who has eaten turtle in my area. The only reason I ate that turtle is because I had been catching big soft shell turtles like crazy and just throwing them back. I figured, since those were legal to capture according to the conservation rules, I'd give them a try. If I catch another really huge one I'll probably keep and eat it, but they're a pain in the neck to clean, so its doubtful I'll eat turtle again for who knows how long, if ever.

Well, giraffe meat tastes a lot like goat's or lamb's meat, just put a little more odd smell on it. It's a lot far from deer's meet though..

Next ones are from the country where I currently live in...

Pythons tastes a lot like chicken, but you need a lot of ginger, salt and garlic to reduce the smell. Monitor lizards are the same, just a lot less smelly.

Dog meat is the most odd meat I've tasted. Good if eaten with alcohol. I have tasted a lot since I got here in this country...

Duck fetus is great (inside the egg, folks here call them "balut")... hesitant to taste at first, but when I tried, I can't stop. Just don't look at it on your first tries.

One-day old chicks/ducklets! Tastes like the duck fetus, it's deep fried with some reddish covers, and you eat the whole thing from head to toe.

Lastly, fried bugs! Lots of them I almost don't remember any of them (the most I remember are the locusts). Well, they taste great (and wierd).

Well, giraffe meat tastes a lot like goat's or lamb's meat, just put a little more odd smell on it. It's a lot far from deer's meet though..

Next ones are from the country where I currently live in...

Pythons tastes a lot like chicken, but you need a lot of ginger, salt and garlic to reduce the smell. Monitor lizards are the same, just a lot less smelly.

Dog meat is the most odd meat I've tasted. Good if eaten with alcohol. I have tasted a lot since I got here in this country...

Duck fetus is great (inside the egg, folks here call them "balut")... hesitant to taste at first, but when I tried, I can't stop. Just don't look at it on your first tries.

One-day old chicks/ducklets! Tastes like the duck fetus, it's deep fried with some reddish covers, and you eat the whole thing from head to toe.

Lastly, fried bugs! Lots of them I almost don't remember any of them (the most I remember are the locusts). Well, they taste great (and wierd).
I'd recognize Filipino cuisine anywhere! Though I can't force myself to eat day-old chicks at all -_-

Blood stew (dinuguan), snails in coconut milk, and horse meat are delicious.

Paper (both lined and paper plates) on a few occasions, usually for money. Dog food (tastes terrible) because I am dumb and wanted to see what it tastes like. Other than that I haven't eaten many unusual things, I guess I have eaten weird combinations of things but never something like animal testicles or non-standard eggs like some people are talking about..

I spent a lot of time in China and I spent some time in Africa. I've eaten some weird stuff, a lot of it I didn't know I was eating until afterwards. Don't judge me for some of this.

Good eats
Fried Scorpion
Barracuda steak
Chinese Flower Pepper (makes your whole mouth tingly)
Fried Frog
African Dik-Dik
Jackfruit
Ostrich
Snake
Shark

Bad eats
Dog intestine
Sea cucumber
Stinky tofu
Chicken feet
Durian
Duck's blood soup

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)