What? No Venusaur? UUr Crazyyy, man...

So, if you didn't get the double U in the title you might not know that this is a UU team. Well, I guess mentioning Venusaur kind of hints that it is... But, enough rambling and let me explain some stuff.

This is my 3rd RMT on Smogon, and my second UU RMT. I am quite familiar with the UU environment as I have been playing UU for the past year give or take a few months. This team's inspiration came about when someone mentioned in the UU Silent Night thread that Leafeon is very anti-metagame at the moment. I had been wanting to make a new team for a while and I decided that I should base it around, well obviously, Leafeon. This team is meant to give Leafeon several opportunities to set up and sweep or pass its boosts to another member of the team. So, as everyone and their brother says, without further ado, here is my RMT =]

Team Building Process

OK so I know I wanted Leafeon for reasons stated above, so he was added

I immediately thought of Leafeon's counters... Registeel, Weezing, and bulky Grassers came to mind because I wanted a Pokémon that could take advantage of Leafeon's counters. Rhyperior was the perfect Pokémon to pair up with Leafeon (at least that's what I thought at the time... I'm open to suggestions) because it could take Swords Dance passes from Leafeon, absorb the T-Wave or basically anything else, Rock Polish and start sweeping. Venusaur and other Grass types give this combo trouble so I threw in Curse Registeel to absorb Sleep Powders and be a big threat in general. He also handles Weezing very well because it is huge set up bait for Registeel. The standard Sleep-Talk set cannot touch Registeel, and any other set doesn't do enough damage anyways (0 Sp. Attack Weezing does a max of 27% with Fire Blast).

I realized I had a big weakness to Fire Types at this point, so I threw in Milotic to help out the cause. It also makes a great defensive pair when paired with Registeel.

At this point I was kind of stuck. I reviewed my Pokémon and noticed a pretty big weakness to most variants of Rotom and I added Spiritomb, although I'm not sure that was the best choice, to be honest. He is probably the least valuable team member and is easily replaceable if one of you kind Smogonites could suggest something more efficient.

I needed Stealth Rock, as all teams do, so I ended up choosing a lead to go along with this balanced and bulky team, which was Mesprit.

Now, onto the individual move sets of each Pokémon...

@ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 160 SpA / 24 Spe
Nature: Bold
Ability: Levitate
^Stealth Rock
^Psychic
^Grass Knot
^U-Turn

Moves:

Well, Stealth Rock is pretty much a given on lead Mesprit. Psychic is for STAB and Grass Knot discourages those Omastar leads and other leads like Kabutops from setting up on me. U-Turn is a great move because when most people see Mesprit they just set up their own Stealth Rock and go straight into Spiritomb or Registeel, which means that I get a free switch. I'm especially happy if it is a Registeel because I can then go into Leafeon, Sub on the Thunderwave, Swords Dance on the S-Toss or Iron Head and pass right out to Ryhperior who can Rock Polish and attempt a sweep with +2 in Attack and Speed.

EVs:

These EVs are a bit odd at first glance, but they do serve a purpose. I wanted Mesprit to be able to take a few hits so it could come back later and scout/attack and possibly set up Stealth Rock again if they have been spun, so 252 HP was my first step. Next, I decided to give it 24 Speed EVs to outpace 8 Speed Milotic and other Pokémon who try to out speed Milotic by 1 point so I can revenge it with Grass Knot. 160 Special Attack was so I could OHKO Rhyperior who is always troublesome if it comes in on Registeel. Lastly, I dumped the rest into Defense to allow it to take Fighting attacks and other assorted physical assaults easier.

Synergy:

Attacks go to

Attacks go to
& sometimes

Attacks go to

@ Leftovers
EVs: 120 HP / 164 Atk / 224 Spe
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Leaf Guard
^Leaf Blade
^Swords Dance
^Substitute
^Baton Pass

Moves:

I decided to take a different twist on the standard Swords Dance and Leaf Blade/Double Edge Leafeon and went for a more conservative route. The objective of this team is to get Leafeon to sweep, and if he is losing health to Double Edge it is harder to do so. Instead, I first scout counters with Substitute after switching in on whatever is weak to Grass moves and then either Baton Pass or Swords Dance accordingly. If they switch in Weezing, I usually Baton Pass out to Registeel who can set up on it, and if they switch in Registeel, Swords Dance and Pass out to Rhyperior. Return/Double Edge really isn't even necessary on this set as that is for Fire and Grass types who are taken care of by my other Pokémon which leaves me room to run Swords Dance, Substitute, and Baton Pass instead of having FMSS.

EVs:

I never really liked Speed ties and don't like to stay in against Pokémon who tie with me like Sharpedo, Houndoom, Jynx etc... because when luck has to determine if my strategy will actually work I prefer to make the safe play. Therefore I did not go with max Speed and invested just enough to out speed Rotom. It is actually funny how many people think Rotom outspeeds Leafeon. In fact, Leafeon's stats are actually a bit odd, boasting 130 Base Defense, 110 Base Attack, and 95 Base Speed, but I like it that way. I honestly don't know what the HP EVs are for because it never really mentioned anything specific in the analysis, but it does give me good bulk to aid in switching in and Swords Dancing. The rest were thrown into Attack so I could sweep easier end game.

Synergy:

Attacks go to

Attacks go to

Attacks go to
&

Attacks go to
&

Attacks go to
&

@ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Solid Rock
^Earthquake
^Stone Edge
^Megahorn
^Rock Polish

Moves:

I think that the moves are pretty obvious, really, but since I cannot just say "they are obvious so deal with it" I guess I'll have to explain each one, yay!
Earthquake and Stone Edge form an amazing attacking duo, with Megahorn 2HKOing everything else including Tangrowth and Uxie :)
Rock Polish greatly increases his sweeping capabilities, nabbing 392 Speed after pulling it off. The only things that can really stop Rhyperior after a Swords Dance from Leafeon and a Rock Polish are Choice Scarf Pokémon that can OHKO and have a speed of 262, bulky Hitmontop, and Super Effective Priority such as Vacuum Wave from Toxicroak/Blaziken (although neither one OHKOs due to Solid Rock and my massive peni... I mean Health stat.

EVs: This is fairly obvious as well... 252/252 so I can sweep stuff easier lol.

Synergy:

Attacks go to

Attacks go to
&

Attacks go to
&

ING Attacks go to
&

Attacks go to
&

Attacks go to
&

Currently going to test SpD Arcanine over Registeel.
@ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SpD
Nature: Careful
Ability: Clear Body
^Iron Head
^Curse
^Rest
^Sleep Talk

Moves:

The moves are pretty self explanatory, really. I run a RestTalk set because I always wanted to try one, but since I usually add Registeel to one of my teams to glue it together and provide Stealth Rock support, I never could really use it. However, this Pokémon is so amazing... It can beat many stall teams that aren't prepared for it because it sets up on so much stuff. The majority of things it has trouble with are handled by my other Pokémon (Leafeon takes care of Milotic, Rhyperior takes care of opposing Registeel etc...). Iron Head is the STAB move of choice and Curse boosts my Attack to reasonable levels and my Defense to very high levels (I wish there was a blur effect so I could make it seem like you, the reader, was actually high cause it would be a cool pun or whatever. Ugh, that probably sounded so dumb haha). Rest and Sleep Talk are Registeel's only way to recover lost HP on its own besides Leftovers, and they are very effective regardless.

EVs:

Max HP helps me tank hits better and 216 Special Defense allows me to absorb the many Special Attacks that UU has to offer. The 40 Attack EVs give me 10 extra Attack points that help me to damage more stuff.

Synergy:

Attacks go to
&

ING Attacks go to
&

Attacks go to

@ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 16 SpD / 56 Spe
Nature: Calm
Ability: Marvel Scale
^Surf
^Ice Beam
^Toxic / Haze
^Recover

Moves:

Well, Surf is the obvious STAB move, with Ice Beam rounding off coverage. I am considering running Hidden Power [Grass] and Haze over Ice Beam and Toxic, receptively, and I would like some advise on that if you wouldn't mind. Toxic is for wearing down opposing bulky Waters who give me some trouble, but it can also wear down other things like bulky Grass and Ghost types. Recover is a given on any Milotic set that isn't Choiced or a Sleep Talk variant, and rightfully so. Without it, Milotic would definitely not be used that much, at least not as a wall.

EVs:

I stole the EVs from Legacy Raider's featured UU team, and they work extremely well. The 56 Speed EVs allow me to outpace Max Speed Adamant Torterra as well as Modest 252 Speed Exeggutor so I can KO them before they KO me. 252 HP is quite obvious, and the Calm Nature paired with 16 Special Defense EVs allows me to take Hidden Power [Grass] twice from Modest Life Orb Moltres so I can Recover off the damage after I switch in. The rest of the EVs were put into Defense for good measure.

Synergy:

Attacks go to
&

Attacks go to
&

@ Iron Ball / Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Atk / 32 SpA
Nature: Brave
Ability: Pressure
^Shadow Sneak
^Psychic
^Pursuit
^Trick

Moves:

Basic set that Choice Band Spiritomb would have, but recently I have been testing Iron Ball. It easily bluffs a Choice set, which means Pokémon like Houndoom and Scyther switch in thinking they can set up on me, only to be Tricked an Iron Ball and then easily revenge killed by my other Pokémon. Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch are Spiritomb's best STAB moves and are very useful for revenge killing things in general. Pursuit traps things like Alakazam and Mismagius who my team has a orange level of difficulty facing, especially when Registeel is gone.

EVs:

252 HP and 252 Attack is pretty obvious for this Pokémon. Since it is offensive but terribly slow that spread is his best bet. Wow, I really hate how RMTs get boring at the end for some reason. It's not always out of laziness, but since the "featured" or "star" Pokémon are usually up at the top, that would explain why the standard support Pokémon at the bottom don't have the most in depth explanations. Well, to spice things up how about a little joke? OK so a Jew walks into a bar... No I'm just kidding lol
I really don't know any good jokes that aren't racist or very inappropriate lol so I'll just stop this paragraph right here c[=

I changed the EVs a bit. Since now I have a Special Attack, I can run 32 SpA EVs to always break 136 HP Rhyperior's Substitutes. I took these EVs from Attack and the 4 Defense EVs I had on before.

Synergy:

Well, Spiritomb has no weaknesses, but if he does get Foresighted by a Hitmontop then this cute little pixie right here --->
can switch into a Close Combat I suppose. Ever notice how Mesprit's little bouncing Sprite looks so ugly but it is actually the best looking of the 3 lake Pokémon? Well, in my opinion anyways.

So it looks like my RMT is coming to a close so here is one last look! Oh, and also thanks to End Fashion's Sunny Day team that gave me the links to all of those Synergy type bar things. Here is his Archived team if you want to check it out - http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59376

So,

One thing I noticed is that Dragon Dance Feraligatr can run through this team if it is given a chance to set up. After one DD almost all your team is OHKO'd or 2HKO'd. If it is given a chance to rack up two DD's, which is feasible seeing as it can come in unfeared on Milotic, it will run through your team almost entirely. I sense a similar problem, albeit not as bad, in Venusaur. Obviosuly your Registeel walls it, especially since special variants cannot dream of touching it, and physical variants are slowly made the same with curse, but if it's knocked you've got a problem on hand.

The only reason I'm pointing these out is to help you with what moves you put on Milotic. Ice Beam gives you something to hit Venusaur hard with, while Haze lets you stop DDGatr in it's tracks and watch as it slowly chips its own health away with Life Orb while you just recover away away any damage. So for that I suggest running Ice Beam > HP Grass, and Haze > Toxic.

Hope that helps, but asides from that I don't see many other holes in your team. Good luck with everything.

Thanks a bunch for the rate, I was starting to get worried that no one would post lol

I've been thinking about Haze and your suggestion seems great. I haven't even seen any form of Gatr yet, but it also helps against CroTomb, Toxicroak etc... so I'll definitely test that.

Venusaur can be a problem if it is physically based, but the most common Venusaur, LO Special, don't give this team much trouble. Here is why... usually I get Leafeon in early on which is when Venusaur thinks it can switch in. Intead, I substitute on the switch and pass to Registeel who can now not be put to sleep and has a sub that isn't broken by a LO Leaf Storm.

Awesome RMT, we need more anti-meta until B/W comes out and I can rape with Gear and the Swan lol.
Anyway, i'm loving the Iron Ball Spiritomb. I attempted to run a similar set recently, but it did not do as well as I thought it would. Probably user error, XD. But I thought it was really cool that someone else was using possibly the the most anti-metagame mon in UU. I say that because the tier at this stage is obsessed with speed, and Iron Balling a Scyther or something is ruining a sweep hands down. Also the dual STAB priority is something that I did not do but looks really good on paper.

Good luck on future teams, I hope this random post that did not really help you helped.

Thanks Hamme =)
Yeah, Iron Ball has its merits, but sometimes my Shadow Sneaks/Sucker Punches are a little too weak for my liking, and the common switch ins aren't just fast Pokémon. Pokémon like Rhyperior set up on me all the more easy because of Iron Ball.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hey,

Decent team. That Spiritomb seems quite interesting. However, once you've tricked your Ball, Fighting types use it as complete setup bait, and proceed to destroy krhe rest of your team. NP Toxicroak actually 6-0s you, with a set of Dark Pulse/Focus Blast/Vacuum Wave. So, I'd suggest running Psychic on Spiritomb specifically to del with Fighting types, over one of your priority moves. Change the nature to Brave to avoid powering down Psychic.

I really like the way that Curse Registeel fits in with your team, being probably the best Special Venu counter in UU while also being able to set up on non-Haze Milotic, a pretty big threat to your team. Haze Milotic itself is problematic, as if it manages to KO Leafeon with Ice Beam, your only way of defeating it becomes your own Milotic. I have a suggestion, and that is to try out a Specially Defensivs Arcanine over Registeel. It completes the F/W/G core, and lures out Milotic, cripples it with Toxic, and has a good chance of actually stalling it out. It's also an amazing counter to Sub + Will-O-Wisp Rotom, which your team hates. The set is Flare Blitz/Extremespeed/Toxic/Morning Sun. You can simply run Max HP and Max Sp Def, or some Speed to outrun base 80's.

Great team, and gl.

Thanks for the rate =P

I was actually considering running an Arcanine over Spiritomb because it can still take physical hits thanks to Intimidate and has priority, but on top of that it counters SD Venusaur very well who literally destroys my team if it gets to set up which isn't to hard to do on a Leafeon, Rhyperior, Milotic, or sleeping Registeel =3

I'll test what you just said, though, as it sounds very interesting. Both Psychic on Tomb and The SpD Arcanine

Hi, I've been testing out this team (hope you don't mind) and it's proving to be really awesome. The pairing of Leafeon and Rhyperior is fantastic, because if Rhyperior can manage to get passed a Sub, it's pretty much gg, and the type synergy makes that easy enough.

One problem I had though was the lack of usefulness fom Milotic. It didn't really do anything to support the rest of the team and it was too predictable to do a lot of damage. I replaced it with a specialy defensive SpecsAltaria which does the job of sponging fire moves as well as dealing more damage than Milotic did. It has perfect defensive synergy with Registeel as well.

Also, Rhyperior only needs 220 Speed EV's to outspeed every unboosted pokemon in UU (Edit: Bar Swellow and Electrode) after a Rock Polish. Not a big deal but the extra 8 Hp points are nice to have.

Anyway, hope it's okay that I used your team. It was only because the computer I'm using doesn't have any of my own teams on it, and I'm horrid at team building from scratch so I've been procrastinating.

I remember fighting someone using this team and I noticed its large weakness to LO Special Sceptile running, Energy Ball/Leaf Storm/ HP Ice/ Focus Blast. No bigee just something to think about.

Just one nitpick I'd like to make.
Your current EV spread on Spiritom allows you to be outsped by Slowbro/King by 1 point. I suggest allocating 8 EV's from either Atk or HP, or both if that floats your boat too, into Spe. This will ensure that you don't lose against a Slowbro if it manages to Surf you before you can Pursuit it. It may be situational, but better safe than sorry.

I remember fighting someone using this team and I noticed its large weakness to LO Special Sceptile running, Energy Ball/Leaf Storm/ HP Ice/ Focus Blast. No bigee just something to think about.
Holy crap I remember that haha. It was me =P
As soon as I saw the life orb I switched to Registeel thinking you would have EQ instead of Focus Blast so I could set up on it but I was wrong. The game ended when I realized your Milotic could outstall me. I just wanted to say that when you didn't attack Registeel and just kept using Haze that was extremely smart because when I don't have any damage I cannot Rest and make you waste two turns while I sleep. I suppose my new SpD Arcanine can help with that =]

Magic - That sounds very situational but it could be useful... It's only 8 EVs anyways lol
The only reason I see it as useful is so I can trick it a Choice Band when I decide to use it sometimes before it finishes me off with surf, but I'll test it anyways.

Hmmm, I can test out Altaria over Milotic as that would remove some of my Venusaur problems, and to be honest, Milotic has its uses but it usually doesn't get as much battle time as my other Pokemon so I can test out Altaria or something else in that spot.
And I don't mind you using my team lol as long as you don't go around saying its yours

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)