What's new and exciting in your yard??

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
I'm creating this thread for people who enjoy being outdoors (specifically in their own backyard). Spring is in full swing this time of year, and when you take the time, you notice a lot of stuff that normally isn't around except at this time of year (flowers, insects, etc). For me, I'm really starting to enjoy all the birds and butterflies that are starting to appear in my yard. I added a suet feeder to my yard this past spring and I'm starting to notice all sorts of birds that I'd never seen in my yard before adding this. In a few weeks, I'm hoping to have a few hummingbirds appear at the feeders as well.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
We have foxes. I saw what looked like a vixen and her two cubs just chillin' in the March sunshine.

I got a blender a few weeks ago and started making milkshakes with frozen fruit in the morning as a good healthy way to kickstart my mornings. Needless to say, all these boys started appearing in my yard.

My dog dug a huge hole. So now there's the green grass and then what looks like a huge pile of shit in the middle of it. Not to be confused with the little piles of shit that are real and scattered everywhere else.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
Lots of Cane Toads. Can't stand the bastards. I always have to put my two dogs water/food bowls inside the house. Luckily, they haven't bitten any of them. Besides that, here in Miami there are a lot of Love Birds, a lot of them gather up on our trees.

Little blue wildflowers appear in my backyard every year in early Spring. I don't think I've ever seen that particular variety of flower anywhere else.
In other news, the people who moved into the house behind me (other side of the block) chopped down a bunch of trees. While it was technically their property, it's very annoying to look at what used to be a beautiful little forest and see a big, ugly yard and a busy street.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
In a few weeks, I'm hoping to have a few hummingbirds appear at the feeders as well.
Tip for getting hummingbirds: you need special feeders and you need to get them out REALLY early before they start migrating so that they see them early on in the season.

My parents are pretty big on bird watching, for years now we've gotten Cardinals/Jays/Orioles/Hummingbirds in our yard in addition to plenty of other birds (I've seen Hawks, Herons, and even an Eagle fly by). Maybe once it stops raining and it's sunny tomorrow I'll take a couple pictures of my yard, although nothing is in bloom yet.

Not much, since the bluebirds, cardinals and squirrels discovered they don't have to wait for the feeders to be restocked if they migrate over to the chicken pen. We've started new gardens and have a bunch of chickens with chicks of various species littering the yard. A mocking bird also had a baby and swoops down on my dog whenever she comes close to the nest (which only needed to happen twice).

I think we have a heron couple down at the pond since there's a rather large patch of grass that's constantly being trampled, so maybe we can get close enough to see the chick one day.

Guineas are laying eggs somewhere, but we can't find where. As a side note, guinea chicks are the most suicidal animals alive. I would never have thought that a group of animals could die from drowning in a quarter inch (maybe less) water dish, purposefully jamming their heads between a piece of wood and a yogurt cup, or climbing atop their mothers, jumping to the edge of the cage and hanging themselves on the chicken wire that lines their cage in such an efficient manner. Needless to say, fully grown guineas probably won't take as much care of them. I could go on about how stupid those birds are, but most of the stories involve the guinea dying in some creative/humorous way, and I don't want to go on about death anymore! The only reason we try to keep the damn things alive is because they do a great job of bug control, specifically ticks and potato bugs.

Anyone else already tired of mosquitoes?

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I have an apple tree whose fruit has been turned into shite cider.

there is a ladder i have never seen before chilling on my yard

also my friend ate his pet chickens, i hope you don't do the same Vintage Books

I have a trampoline, a pile of bamboo, an old swingset, a tree, a bunch of grass, and a partially chopped log.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Tip for getting hummingbirds: you need special feeders and you need to get them out REALLY early before they start migrating so that they see them early on in the season.

My parents are pretty big on bird watching, for years now we've gotten Cardinals/Jays/Orioles/Hummingbirds in our yard in addition to plenty of other birds (I've seen Hawks, Herons, and even an Eagle fly by). Maybe once it stops raining and it's sunny tomorrow I'll take a couple pictures of my yard, although nothing is in bloom yet.
I'd also like to point out that for the hummingbirds, you don't (and I HIGHLY discourage) need to use red food coloring in their nectar. The red colored feeder you provide for them should be enough to help them find the food. Food coloring is bad (forgot why though). Seriously, DON'T USE IT!!

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Cool fact: Cane toads are habitual necrophiles. And it doesn't have to be a dead cane toad, either; any dead animal will do.

I don't have a front yard, as I live in an apartment block. My front door opens onto a carpark, so we have cats and birds all the time.

fortunately for me, i'm on the south-east coast of NSW so i don't suffer from the cane toad plague
unfortunately for me, my backyard is basically just a patch of dirt, with sparse grass and multiple weeds that we've left free to grow :(

There's this Cardinal that taps on the glass every day from 9:30 to 10:00 looking for a birdbath. I don't mind it but it's driving my cat insane, lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)