WishiWashi Discussion

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

WishiWashi
Water
Abilities: Schooling / Schooling / Schooling
HP: 45
Atk: 20
Def: 20
SpAtk: 25
SpDef: 25
Spe: 40

Wishiwashi (School forme)
Water
Abilities: Schooling / Schooling / Schooling
HP: 45
Atk: 140
Def: 130
SpAtk: 140
SpDef: 135
Spe: 30

Level Up

L1 - Water Gun
L1 - Growl
L6 - Helping Hand
L9 - Feint Attack
L14 - Brine
L17 - Aqua Ring
L22 - Tearful Look
L25 - Take Down
L30 - Dive
L33 - Beat Up
L38 - Aqua Tail
L41 - Double-Edge
L46 - Soak
L49 - Endeavor
L54 - Hydro Pump

TMs

TM06 - Toxic
TM07 - Hail
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM13 - Ice Beam
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM21 - Frustration
TM26 - Earthquake
TM27 - Return
TM32 - Double Team
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Round
TM55 - Scald
TM78 - Bulldoze
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM89 - U-turn
TM90 - Substitute
TM94 - Surf
TM98 - Waterfall
TM100 - Confide
Egg moves:

Egg - Muddy Water
Egg - Mist
Egg - Water Pulse
Egg - Water Sport

New ability
Schooling: When it has a lot of HP, the Pokémon forms a powerful school. It stops schooling when its HP is low (~25%).

Last edited:
A big question would be whether Wishiwashi can return to School form if healed.

Anyways, it has a somewhat balanced movepool. Its coverage isn't great, so maybe specially offensive seems better.

Obviously intended to use in Trick Room with those terrific stats yet horrible Speed.

Low HP and low Speed suck. The ability was already a gimmick but this looks like a total waste.
With its terrible speed it would be better to use EVs on HP, which will make its defenses look kind of decent.

Deoxys-D did something like that, and it had a similar kind of defensive stats.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Deo-D has higher HP and defenses so it's overall more bulky, plus it's not slow (it's actually pretty fast for a wall).

Hazards and a good hit when it switches in will depower it very quickly, especially since it's so slow it won't be able to act first.

Does Schooling or the berry take priority, though? Or does it regain its submarine armour whenever it gets its health back too?

This was one of the pokemon I was really looking forward to. I am a bit disappointed how low its HP and how shallow its movepool is but I still see it having a niche as a bulky TR attacker/wallbreaker. Having 4 stats 130 or higher is very impressive and it can even go mixed to slaughter the special walls.

Oh whew, such a barren movepool :/ I guess physical it's at leeast decent, as waterfall/EQ/U-turn is okay. Also slow switch ->yay!
special sets are... well nonexistant. <water move of choice>/ice beam... and that's it. Mixed maybe.

Also, the thought of non-schooling tiny-fish wishiwashi using Earthquake is kinda sweet :D

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
If Schooling activates when you go back to full HP, this is definetly gonna be a RestTalker or RestoChesto. If not it's another Defeatist that activates at lower hp and has way worse debuffs.

The good news is that its speed is so awful that you might as well just go mixed with a Quiet or Brave nature, which alleviates the movepool problem somewhat. Pick either Scald/Hydro Pump or Waterfall depending on whether you want to put a larger emphasis on physical or special offense, and then pad the rest of the moveset with U-turn/Ice Beam/Earthquake. Not that you have many other options anyway. Maybe Endeavor? It'd let Wishiwashi at least pose somewhat of a threat when it drops to 25% or less.

It's a shame that it doesn't have any more of a "wow" factor because this is one I was really looking forward to, but there's definitely potential here. 140/140 dual offenses are scary, and its 45/130/135 bulk should let it take hits reasonably well with HP investment. The only question is whether it's worth the risk of fielding one of the weakest Pokemon imaginable when it drops below 25%. Might be too risky to see a lot of OU use, but you have to like its chances in lower tiers with those kinds of stats.

well aqua tail/double edge/EQ covers quite a bit maybe run ice beam or pump to deal with physically bulky mons like hippo/gliscor.

and GTFO when ferrothorn shows it face.

Seems awful in singles, great in doubles where you can use it in TR. I also like that it gets Helping Hand and Endeavor for when it's in it's base form. Otherwise it would just be dead weight.

I think the trailer combo of Wishiwashi + Oranguru will be pretty powerful. Oranguru sets up Trick Room, then proceeds to Instruct Wishiwashi to Surf and Earthquake the crap out of everything. If you want to be really evil, replace Surf with Muddy Water for two chances at lowering the opponents' accuracies.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Any thoughts on good support for it in VGC? Comfey seems obvious with its priority healing. Raichu seems to make sense too, with Fake Out and Lightning Rod.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Schooling and Wishiwashi in battle: https://vid.me/Nq1h

if you choose to attack instead of helping hand (assuming the wingull survives it) it would be:

>wingull used quick attack
>wishiwashi's health down to below 25%
>wishiwashi used brine (or whatever)
>wishiwashi reverts back to solo form
>end of the turn
Wait. "Wingull called for help"
Is that a hacked totem wingull or now mons can call for help?

almost every wild pokes can call help. they also can do this multiple times in 1 battle. not every attempt are a success tho. solo wishiwashi from the trial (not totem wishiwashi) succeded at calling for help 4 times.... in a row.... in one battle

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)