Woman dies after drinking 10 litres of coke per day

Correlation does NOT prove causation.

This woman probably died from the massive amount of liquid she was drinking. This would easily happen with plain old water, booze, apple juice--ANYTHING LIQUID. Water can poison you.

Edit: Estimation for Caffeine Intoxication for Humans is between 150 and 200 mg per Kilogram of your weight. That's almost/over TWO LITERS of Coca-Cola Classic PER kilogram of body weight.

Double Edit: This is all without taking a piss-break, mind you. This has to be in your system all at once.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10800055

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6773589/Woman-had-up-to-8-litres-of-Coke-a-day-partner

I can't even imagine for a second what its like to drink that much pop a day, jesus. Her husband was a grade A moron... as if drinking that much coke wasn't enough, she was supposedly vomiting around 6 times a week.

It's like god himself is telling me to cut back on my Soda consumption. I drink 1-2 cans of pop a day, but I'm thinking of quitting cold turkey.
I saw this and was going to post it in headline of the day thread.

Are you an NZer?

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I can't imagine consuming 8 litres of anything in a day, liquid or solid

christ

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
was hoping to see a picture of how fat this woman was, im sure soda wasn;t her only bad habit

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Flarephoenix, I understand the whole concept of water intoxication (too much of anything is bad for you), but you do have to understand that this is 10 liters of Coke we're talking about. Coke isn't good for you to start off with. I'm willing to bet there was more than just caffeine addiction and possible caffeine intoxication going on in her body.

Flarephoenix, I understand the whole concept of water intoxication (too much of anything is bad for you), but you do have to understand that this is 10 liters of Coke we're talking about. Coke isn't good for you to start off with. I'm willing to bet there was more than just caffeine intoxication going on in her body.
Humans expel 1-2 L of urine daily, on average. This is on average--it would be much higher for someone as liquid filled as this lady. There's no way this lady absorbed everything of 10 liters of Coke. A lot of that just went straight through her.

Yes, I get that some of other problems of coke could easily be the C.O.D. (I'm betting on Diabetes), but seeing people freak out about caffeine is ridiculous. If you're drinking that much, yes, you have an addiction problem. If you're drinking way, way less than that, you're fine.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Paper covers rock, how is that even legal?

Either way, I enjoy the occasional soda, but ten per day is terrible.

Humans expel 1-2 L of urine daily, on average. This is on average--it would be much higher for someone as liquid filled as this lady. There's no way this lady absorbed everything of 10 liters of Coke. A lot of that just went straight through her.

Yes, I get that some of other problems of coke could easily be the C.O.D. (I'm betting on Diabetes), but seeing people freak out about caffeine is ridiculous. If you're drinking that much, yes, you have an addiction problem. If you're drinking way, way less than that, you're fine.
Caffeine doesn't kill you. Dehydration from drinking thousands of grams of sodium a day without drinking any water can, however, and can also result in cardiac arrhythmia, which is what she died of.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I found another article about the same exact story here. However, this one added in this bit of information:

The court heard Ms Harris had a poor diet and was a heavy smoker, with a 30-a-day habit.
Pretty sure the cigarettes also contributed to her death.

It is sad the woman died, and it is sad that she was that addicted to Coca-Cola, had a poor diet, and smoked heavily.

It is also sad that the husband is blaming the company for his wife's problems, in the sense of "people suing McDonald's for getting obese from eating way too many cheeseburgers is sad."

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
another person dies due to complete disregard for their health

i don't care if it's too much coke, cigarettes, or heroin, if you exercise bad habits enough they will catch up with you. regardless of whether or not the woman was seriously addicted to caffeine, her husband/family being unable to identify all the coke she was drinking as possibly bad for her health are idiots.

Also I don't drink any soft drinks, reading up on the stuff in there is nasty, metal nails can dissolve in coke, how is it even legal?
i know you are being at least somewhat facetious, but metal nails will dissolve in water too, given enough time :/

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
ps. coca cola is the best thing to have with: burgers, pizza

i tried to stop drinking all soft drinks, and it worked for a few months or so, but i just missed the TASTE so much. mostly of coca cola. you can ingest whatever bad shit you want as long as you exercise and burn it off efficiently. anything in excess is bad for you, but anything in moderation is also acceptable. moderation levels just vary from product to product!

I usually only drink soda at dinners, so about 1 or 2 cans a day, sometimes not even that.

10 litres a day is mind-blowing to me, I don't think I'd be able to do that

Also Dr Pepper > Fanta.
Yup.

Also, in regards to health, the amount of calories and sugars and carbs in Soda is just ridiculous. I just got my braces so I can't drink soda, and after going two weeks without soda, I've already been losing weight. When you go from about 2-3 cans of Soda a day to purely water, things change.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The health risk from soda is not worth the taste - drink juice, drink water. It's not like alcohol where you "need" it to socialize with others, either.

RIP, Natasha.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
This is sad, but hardly newsworthy. I don't really drink soda other than gingerale and doctor pepper and maybe once a month for those. I usually prefer coffee, chai, mocha chai, chai, chai with white chocolate, chai with chai, chai latte, iced chai, iced tea, etc. I typically drink something with caffeine at breakfast and after dinner. I see coca cola and other caffeinated beverages as competitors with these drinks when I'm choosing how to get my caffeine. Coca Cola is not as good as these drinks, ever.

I probably consume about 9 liters of caffeine containing beverages per week.

This is just crazy. It's obvious she was addicted it extremley hard to drink that much of any drink a day. She must have drank no water at all. I myself only drink a 3 cans of soda a week.

this is actually is quite sad; i don't know how any of you find someone perishing due to complications caused by overloading on soft drink remotely funny
also i drink a bit of soft drink but only around 500mL a day tops

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)