Gen 4 Won't Get Fooled Again (DPP UU)

-[=]-Won't Get Fooled Again-[=]-

(Crappy banner made by me stealing images off google and photoshopping together, so thanks to whoever made original art)

(Click for importable)

Hello everyone! Sickist here, back with another RMT. This time with a lot more effort put into it, and to have fun w/ formatting stuff. Anyways, I've loved DPP UU ever since my good friend Donphantastic introduced me to the tier via PM (thanks donny, the dpp uu prophet). That was back around July of last year, and I've gotten a little better since then, even learning how to build almost to Donny P standards. Anyways, since this is an old gen team, I'd like to give a S/O to all my old gen friends, who I'll link down below w/ other stuff, because you all are what really makes playing old generations fun and enjoyable.

I. Team Building Process

I had originally wanted to build around Nasty Plot Toxicroak, as it was a very interesting mon to me, and I had enjoyed using the majority of teams that featured it. I have a little experience with using it, only have used it on several teams featured in the DPP UU bible, courtesy of Donny. That being said, I really wanted to use it, so I decided to build around it. I started off with a core of Lead Mismag+NP Croak because Lead Mismag can prevent hazards somewhat, as well as bait in pursuit trappers, which are for the most part Toxicroak food, or at least a free Nasty Plot. Mismag as a whole benefits Croak with it's ability in levitate, as well as it's ghost typing allowing it to come in on normal moves and fighting moves that Croak technically "resists", but it's so frail it dies anyways. Mismag, as previously mentioned, also enjoys Toxicroak dealing w/ pursuit trappers and dark types in general, as well as being able to capitalize on psychics that Croak dislikes, such as Uxie/Mesprit or Medicham.

I then added Slowbro, as a way to check things like Medicham a little better, as well as to give me the bulky water I was looking for that could provide speed control via Thunder Wave, which benefits Toxicroak greatly. As Mismag does as well, Slowbro appreciates dark types being annoyed, as that lets it do it's job better. Slowbro can also check ground types for Toxicroak. However, when I had finished the first draft of the team, I was insanely weak to Moltres, so Slowbro became a Slowking. Slowking does the same things Slowbro does, although, it is physically less defensive, but it still does the job of checking things like Hitmonlee/top, as well as Medicham (still scary even w/ Mismag, as well as handling things like Zam alot better as well. Overall, looking back, Slowbro is kinda eh here anyways, and Slowking is the superior choice. Long live the king.

Thunder Wave, while being nice, is not ideal for your only form of speed control. The team also really disliked opposing Mismagius and ghosts in general. I decided to add my personal favorite scarfer in the tier, due to it slotting in quite well. Houndoom has a great offensive typing for the team, allowing it to break grasses and trap ghosts, which my team appreciates both tremendously. Houndoom also forms a Fighting/Psychic/Dark core with Toxicroak and Slowking, which takes on a good chunk of the metagame. Houndoom appreciates Mismagius and Slowking taking on Fighting types, as well as ground types for Houndoom. Overall, Houndoom fit the slot quite well, and when equipped with a choice scarf, like in this case, is a formidable revenge killer for the team.

Despite resisting Dark, both Croak and Doom are kinda crappy at coming in on them. I also required hazard control, as well as being appreciative of more speed control through priority. Hitmontop was the man I was looking for, as it did all of these nicely, while not being a misplaced sitting duck. Hitmontop also softens stuff up with Close Combat, and can KO or weaken things like Alakazam with Sucker Punch. Most importantly however, Hitmontop has access to Rapid Spin, letting me clear hazards from my side of the field, which is a blessing to my teammates, who are for the most part, really annoyed by them. Spikes in particular are a pain, due to Slowking probably coming in on alot of things. In summary, this team needed Hitmontop, as it was the hero we needed, but didn't deserve.

I really needed a Stealth Rocker, as I lacked one up until this point. Looking at my team so far, I also was really weak to things like Torterra and Leafeon, which the final teammate helped at checking, at least defensively. Torterra seemed like a good option, as it fulfilled the criteria, as well as smashing things like Rhyperior and Milotic with Wood Hammer, and wearing down other things w/ EQ. Torterra appreciates Slowking taking on special attacking fire types, like Blaziken and Moltres, for Torterra and Torterra helps Slowking keep things like Rhyperior in check, due to Slowking not being able to check it as well. Torterra also lets me check Electric Types, which are also really scary. In conclusion, I think Torterra is a nice way to round off this team, and is a great addition to the team overall.

II. In-Depth Look

Mismagius @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature

- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball

- Thunderbolt

Standard Lead Mismagius, max special attack and speed for being as fast, while hitting as hard as possible, to matchup better vs other leads. These other leads include things like Omastar, Mesprit, Uxie, and at least speed tying with opposing Mismagius. Leftovers lets Mismagius regain a little health each turn, keeping it around longer to spinblock and keep hazards up, as well as taunt other leads. Taunt, as previously mentioned, stops the opponent from using status-type attacks hazards, toxic and paralysis, and settup moves, such as Swords Dance or Calm Mind. Will-O-Wisp allows Mismagius to cripple things like Rhyperior, Registeel, and cheese other physical attackers with a burn, wearing them down quicker, as well as halving their attack stat. Shadow Ball is Mismagius' STAB attack, doing solid damage to anything not resistant to it or naturally specially bulky. Thunderbolt smites lead Omastar for the 2HKO, as well as hitting Registeel for non-resisted damage.

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot

- Vacuum Wave
- Sludge Bomb

- Dark Pulse

A Life Orb gives Toxicroak an extra umph of power, to nab some extra KO's it couldn't otherwise, at the cost of ~10% of it's HP every time it attacks. Max Special Attack and Max Speed let Croak hit as fast and as hard as possible. Nasty Plot boosts Toxicroak's Special Attack by 2 Stages with every use, letting it snowball through teams a lot easier. Sludge Bomb is Toxicroak's main STAB attack, letting it shred through basically anything not having the Steel or Poison typing, as well as specially defensive walls. Vaccum Wave is Toxicroak's other STAB attack on this set, while REALLY weak, it is Priority, and still hits pretty hard when at +2, in conjunction with a Life Orb as well. Only real difference here is that you have to chip more things before attempting to sweep with Croak, which isn't too difficult to do anyways. Dark Pulse snipes Psychics and Ghosts that would take advantage of Croak, namely Claydol, Uxie, Mismagius, and friends.

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf

- Psychic / Ice Beam
- Slack Off

- Thunder Wave

The EVs let Slowking handle Altaria's +1 Outrage more comfortabley, while still retaining good Special Bulk to handle things like Moltres. Leftovers give Slowking more recovery, letting it more consistently handle threats it needs to, and overall have more longevity. Surf hits fire types, such as Moltres, either crippling them or straight up KOing them. Psychic hits Venusaur and Fighting types, which is always welcome. Ice Beam is something I've started to consider of lately, as I'm really having issues with Altaria, while still nailing Venusaur. Slack Off is a reliable form of recovery, letting Slowking stay consistently healthy. Finally, Thunder Wave lets Slowking slow things down, and maybe do some cheesing, but mainly to support Toxicroak's mediocre speed stat.

Houndoom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 84 Atk / 196 SpA / 228 Spe
Hasty Nature

- Overheat
- Dark Pulse
- Pursuit

- Hidden Power [Rock]

A Choice Scarf gives Houndoom 1.5x it's speed stat, but locks it into only one move, which allows it to act as a revenge killer. The EVs let Houndoom outpace +2 Jolly Torterra, while the attack lets Houndoom nail 252 HP Mismagius, and preventing it from coming back in on hazards without fainting, and the rest of the EVs are in Special Attack. Overheat is Houndoom's strongest Fire STAB, letting it nail something REALLY hard, but then being forced to switch out. Dark Pulse is Houndoom's other main STAB, that hits psychic types like Mesprit and ghosts like Mismagius. Pursuit lets Houndoom cripple or KO things when they attempt to switch, such as Mismagius or a severely weakened mon, which opens up windows for Toxicroak. Hidden Power Rock hits Moltres, as well as Altaria (though for ~48%, which is kinda eh).

Hitmontop @ Fist Plate
Ability: Technician
EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch

- Sucker Punch
- Close Combat

- Rapid Spin

A Fist Plate gives Hitmontop's Fighting Type attacks an extra boost. 108 Speed allows Hitmontop to outpace 16 speed Milotic, allowing it to hit it with Close Combat. The other evs go into fully powering up Hitmontop's attack, in conjunction with an Adamant Nature, as well as the rest of the EV's going into HP to make it a little bulkier. Mach Punch is STAB priority that can pick off things like Houndoom or Rock Polish Aggron. Sucker Punch can cripple Psychics and Ghosts that attempt to attack Hitmonchan. Close Combat is Hitmontop's main STAB attack, hitting alot hard, but lowering Hitmontop's defenses. Finally, Rapid Spin lets Hitmontop clear hazards from it's side of the field, which is a huge benefit, and needed on basically any successful team.

Torterra @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Def / 44 Spe
Impish Nature
- Wood Hammer

- Earthquake
- Synthesis

- Stealth Rock

The EVs give Torterra a HP number that gives it the most Leftovers recovery as possible, while the speed outpaces Rhyperior and Omastar, and the rest is dumped into Defense. Leftovers give Torterra passive recovery. Wood Hammer lets Torterra threaten Water, Ground, and Rock types for super effective damage. Earthquake hits Steel and Fire Types, though it is recommended you do not stay in on said Fire Types just to Earthquake them. Synthesis gives Torterra a form of instant recovery, letting it stick around longer. Finally, Torterra is the team's Stealth Rocker, so it's gonna have Stealth Rocks. Stealth Rocks are an essential on any successful team, and cannot be overlooked when building.

III. List of Threats

This mon is so stupid. It gets a free dragon dance if it comes in on Houndoom, so you have to play REALLY aggressive vs it. There are 0 Outrage resists on the team, so offensively pressuring it is the key to dealing with it. It's even possible to handle it at +1, but at +2, its basically game over.

Ghosts in general are really annoying, considering frail boy Houndoom is my only resist. Spiritomb in particular is a thorn in my side, due to nothing on my team really taking it on that well. The only real way around it is to wear it down and hope it's not spdef, and if it is, NP in it's face with Croak.

IV. Replays

176176 176177176360

A Couple of replays showing the team in action. First one is showing me getting cooked by Altaria, naturally. Second one is vs my good friend Donny P. Click the screenshot to be taken to the replay.

V. Conclusion and Shoutouts

So that's all for the RMT. Click the Sprites at the beginning of the RMT for the importable, and if you have any questions about the team, feel free to ask me. Anyways, I hope you all enjoyed this RMT, and maybe you all can try it out for yourselves and try DPP UU, which is imo the best tier. If you have any interest in learning DPP UU, feel free to check out the resources and maybe talk to Donny P as well, because he's a great tutor and a great dude in general. Hope you all enjoy, and hope you all don't get fooled again!

First off, I'd like to give a shoutout to my first old generation friend, and someone I look up to as a player, and someone who I consider to be one of my best friends on here. Lookin' at you Donphantastic. You've been a very patient and kind tutor, through the entire journey. I remember when I first expressed wanting to learn an old tier in the UU room on PS!, you PM'd me about DPP UU and we took off from there. We've since gotten a lot closer, and I generally love spending time with you, and will continue to do so as long as possible. You're a great person overall, and I'm sure any person who has met you feels the same. Keep being you, Donny, and thanks for everything.

Second off, I'd like to give a shoutout to my friend regirock. I didn't know you as well a couple months ago, as I would only see you occasionally say "x tour in x place" and then chat no more. But recently, we've chatted more, and come to be friends. You're a chill dude and awesome to hang out with, and a clutch player in tours when I see you play, lol. Anyways, hope our friendship continues to get better, and I hope you keep seeing success everywhere!

Finally, I'd like to give a shoutout to Excal. I don't personally know you as well as Donny or Regirock, but from what I've seen in our conversations in the ROA room on PS!, you seem like an amazing person, and I'd like to get to know you better. You're a great help to the ROA room, and a great person to be around, and I hope someday you can call me a friend. Keep on being a cool dude, and good luck on everything you need luck on, lol.

Last edited:

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Swellow is a pretty huge threat that you seemed to kinda gloss over. You have no Normal resist outside Missy, and no Flying resist, meaning if it gets in its getting a kill, which isn't ideal obvi, and in the same vein you're super weak to spikes + Moltres. For this reason I would strongly recommend swapping Tort for Rhyperior. You mentioned that Tort helps with Leafeon, but in practice that's not realistic and Rhyp is going to get more chip on it than Tort will. I can expand a bit more but that was the glaring weakness that stood out to me at a glance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)