XY Experiences

Whelp, that's all she wrote. The E4 are down and champ is dethroned. Thanks for keeping my seat warm, ma'am.

Great, great game. There's a lot more to say than that, but for now I really just want to give my opinion of my Hall of Famers. Basically, I had three phenominal 'mons that I relied on most of all that plowed through most of the content. Not to play favorites, but I feel like it puts things in a better perspective.

Since this is gen six, everymon is named after a character from the sixth Redwall book.

The "Big Three (Four?)"

Kangaskahn ♀ ("Aryah & Rose") <MEGA>
The break-out stars of this run. I'll admit, this is the first time I've ever actually used Clan Kanga in a playthough, but now I'm a believer. Up until X/Y I was all about Miltank as the end-all, be-all general Normal sweeper, but these two were excellent. Useful from the Glittering Cave all the way to the end. I managed to breed a Jolly one with perfect speed and it's like a PMS'd wrecking ball. Fake-Out + Return/Power-Up Punch/Crunch combo can get you through just about anything. Oh, and MegaKanga is RE..... wait for it.... DONKULOUS. So much power it had to wait until post-game.

Goodra ♀ ("Keyla")
Ran her with Modest and pure SpA, and she atomizes stuff with Dragon Pulse. Muddy Water/Flamethrower/Thunderbolt gave me all the coverage I really needed, but I considered Sludge Bomb as well for those pesky fairies. This is probably one of the better 'mons introduced this gen. Great design, loads of potential, and even if it's not quite as intimidating as some of the other psuedos, it's still really effective. It's got a great gimmick too with starting off crummy (The Pokedex doesn't even dance around it, Goomy is straight-up called the weakest dragon type) and blossoms into a drippy face-melting champion. Kinda like Rocky but covered in even more oil.

Slowbro ♀ ("Celandine")
Happy with this one, too. Slowsistah provides the brawny physical defensive yen to Goodra's specially defensive yang, and create a lovely defensive core. I ran her with a pure bulky Bold build, so her power was lower than some of the others, but she's probably my 2nd most-useful 'mon overall. I actually ended up swapping her in for my (Mega) Blastoise part-way through because she was just a better fit.

Actually, I wonder if I should count the mutant Shellder as another teammate here... nahhh, it's not like it does anything.

The "Not Quite As Big Three (But You're Still My Squad)"
Chesnaught ♀ ("Pallum")
I actually ran this one with random EVs and a crummy nature (only poke I didn't Super Train), but I'm only ranking her lower because I just didn't use her nearly as much as the others. Chesnaught's a beast either way, and from start to finish, she was always reliable. Grass STAB + Rollout is great in the beginning, and later on it becomes downright difficult to knock out. We've come a long way, chestnut, thanks for putting up with me.

Skarmory ♀ ("Emalet")
Later-comer, so there's not much to say. I actually spent more time breeding and training this one than I did actually battling it. She was pain, but not her fault I needed to catch and grind a Ducklett to level 41 so it could learn Brave Bird and then breed it onto another Skarmory so she could mack with a Ditto before she even got a chance to try. This one actually works wonderfully with the rest in terms of covering shared weaknesses... maybe she'll get her big chance in the Maison.

Dedenne ♂ ("Brome")
So, Dedenne's not very good, and I say this as a fan of overly-marketable cute rodents. Basically, I just added him because I really wanted a Fairy type and figured this one was at least neat enough to try. He looks like a Raichu, so I trained him like one - Timid with full-on speed and SpA, but he's still just kinda... ehhhh. Why it learns so many physical STABs through level-up I'll never know, and it can't even learn the Dazzling Gleam TM. Satisfying as it is to take down huge stuff with a teeny hamster, he's usually just there to Volt Switch on round one. My little troll.

Breathtaking environments, dressing myself up, animated 3D models... Just wow.

These two games don't feel like Pokémon games, at all. It's as if Game Freak had taken all previous games, collected many of their strong points, and combined them to make a brand new 3DS game featuring their old critters.

For true fans, there's little-to-no things to dislike in these games in my opinion. Sure, there's some oversights and bugs, but cut Game Freak some slack. It's their first shot at the Nintendo 3DS making main-series games. Heck, they even attempted to reunite one of the most split fandoms out there. Nostalgiafriends, children, casuals, competitive players...there's features for everyone. And many of these features happen to be completely optional, if you're not into them. That's right: enough freedom in these games to make North Americans jealous.

Heck, they even made the games more accessible for everyone, in various ways! Worldwide release, increased shiny rate, chatspeak, sweet-ass online menus, 450 mons from all regions, and many other features for you to call.

Just...Wow. Kudos, Game Freak.

Edit: Probably what I enjoyed the most was making all these new bros. Enjoyed so fucking much using Aromatisse, Greninja, Aegislash, Clawitzer, Gourgeist, and Sylveon.
Also, Gen VI has my favorite ability ever: Protean.

So I started my Y and on my third try I got a female Impish Chespin that likes to thrash about. Sweet. I then proceeded to Max her HP and Atk and she's just a little monster. I named her Night Knight.

So I decided this run that I would not use any Pokemon that I used to any real degree during my X playthrough, and I'm still having 6 slot syndrome. All I know is that I'm definitely using Chespin, Litleo and Inkay, but everything else is kind of a crapshoot. I'm thinking of using an Azumarill for my Water type since Blastoise has never really tickled my fancy, and his Mega is underwhelming since all his good pulse and aura attacks are egg moves. Azumarill would fill both a Fairy typing, water typing, and a good Waterfall user. Then I'm thinking of Dragalge for both Surf and the fact that I've never used a Poison type for my main team. He also seems like a beast as a SpD tank. Then I'm hoping I can find some Old Amber for an Aerodactyl. There's six already, but I still want to use Tyrunt, Lucario, Pawniard, and like a dozen more. And I have a Vivillion too that's also kind of a badass, especially since I've already maxed SpA and Spe. fyi, Virginia has the Modern Pattern, and it's sweet.

Second playthrough and I still SSS. Jeez. I can't waint until Pokemon Bank so I can save all my X 'mon and do a third (and fourth and fifth and sixth...)

how did u manage to get in the Lumiose store? chick wont let me in
You have to talk to Alexa is Lumiose, specifically about Vernal street (the street the shop is on). I forget what it's called exactly, but she's in some kind of newspaper place, so the name will be obvious if you look at it on the cab options. Also, you can't do it until you turn the power back on.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of using an Azumarill for my Water type since Blastoise has never really tickled my fancy, and his Mega is underwhelming since all his good pulse and aura attacks are egg moves. Azumarill would fill both a Fairy typing, water typing, and a good Waterfall user.
I'm using an Azumarill right now, and she wrecks faces. No Fairy attacks until it gets Play Rough at level 50, but Aqua Tail and Double Edge are enough for the early-to-mid game anyway.

I'm using an Azumarill right now, and she wrecks faces. No Fairy attacks until it gets Play Rough at level 50, but Aqua Tail and Double Edge are enough for the early-to-mid game anyway.
I used an Adamant Huge Power one in my White 2 Nuzlocke. Now Amanda the Azumarill is my favorite Pokemon. Azumarill wrecks face! (Too bad I got a Modest Thick Fat one my first encounter...)

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Finished the game a few days ago, resetted for yveltal and mewtwo blah blah. This game, however, has been fantastic. I haven't felt this alive playing a Pokemon game since...well I don't remember. BW came close, but I managed to shed a tear at the end of my Y adventure.

One of my favorite part of this game was the storyline music - most notably the rivals (or friends) pre-battle music which is quite emotional. Although I do miss the dark rivals (hi Silver, Green kinda), XY really captured the essence of friendship. It made me quite sad that the game was over already, and that there isn't a postgame.

However, I remain confused at the significance of the cover legends in the plot. They're just...there. Came out of nowhere. Relatively little mentions of them throughout the storyline. I think as far as cover legends go, BW has done the best in integrating them into the plot, with the concepts of truth and ideals repeatedly mentioned and leading up to a re-enactment of the ancient unova battle.

Okay now where was I...

Poke-amied Mewtwo to max everything and it still glares at me. Guess it is impossible to make Mewtwo smile after all, even if a bajillion hearts come out of it.

I welcome the return of the ability to use Ubers in random battles. It's been since PBR that I've been able to destroy people with them. My specific targets are those who purposely use NUs and try to make a name for themselves over Youtube because they can beat Ubers. Not on my watch! Thankfully, most gimmicks are easy to read. I'm not sure how long it'll take for one to show up on my screen but I better get prepared or I'll get cheesed to death... WiFi randbattle team progress: 2/6 complete.

Beat the game. Great experience, though B2W2 was better imo. The rivals were definitely the best this time around, it is kinda sad that they are reduced to utility NPCs after the elite four.

The games sit in the middle of the road after 3, 2, and 1. Beating 4 and 5 by a large margin(Though again, B2W2 is an anomaly)

By the way, if you go to Lumiose city and get on cab without cash, the driver will drive you to your destination and then angrily battle you for not having cash. Beat them, take their money while they groan about not reaching the day's quota. Oh and the ride's free too.
Interesting. I have too much money to ever test this, however.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'm resetting for Yveltal now. I didn't even bother with Synchronize and I don't want to leave Geosenge to get one (m-muh roleplay), but the legendaries being always at least triple-flawless is a great thing for which I'm grateful... and then I got a 30-31/30-31/30-31/x/30-31/31 CAREFUL Yveltal and realized I'm wasting time without a Synchronizer. Fucking hell.

I don't think it's possible for them to be shiny either, which is a bummer. Oh well

Last edited:
Anyone know what the drop rate for Heart Scales is when breaking rocks with Rock Smash? I didn't want to waste time on my Doublade just to get Iron Head and Sacred Sword, and because of that I'll need to replace my Aegislash's entire moveset once I reach the move relearner.

EDIT: screw it, I'll just farm them the old-fashioned way.

DOUBLE EDIT: just got my first Critical Capture of the generation... On a luvdisc I caught for heart scale farming.

Last edited:
I'm resetting for Yveltal now. I didn't even bother with Synchronize and I don't want to leave Geosenge to get one (m-muh roleplay), but the legendaries being always at least triple-flawless is a great thing for which I'm grateful... and then I got a 30-31/30-31/30-31/x/30-31/31 CAREFUL Yveltal and realized I'm wasting time without a Synchronizer. Fucking hell.

I don't think it's possible for them to be shiny either, which is a bummer. Oh well.
Is there a way to soft reset for the legendaries that I don't know about, or do you have the patience of a monk and no problem constantly redoing that battle with Lysander and sitting through those cut scenes? Because if I remember right, at least as far as X goes, [SPOILER IN WHITE] there's the scene with Xerneas coming back to life, the battle against it, then the rebattle with Lysander, and then a cutscene after that.[/SPOILER] It's, like, 5 minutes before you can even check Pokemon summaries[/SPOILER] Are you seriously redoing all of that each time?

Anyone know what the drop rate for Heart Scales is when breaking rocks with Rock Smash? I didn't want to waste time on my Doublade just to get Iron Head and Sacred Sword, and because of that I'll need to replace my Aegislash's entire moveset once I reach the move relearner.

EDIT: screw it, I'll just farm them the old-fashioned way.

DOUBLE EDIT: just got my first Critical Capture of the generation... On a luvdisc I caught for heart scale farming.
Uh, Thief? You get the TM for it really early in game. Just teach over another TM and when you have enough scales reteach the attack you want. That's what I did with my Greninja; he had a slot that constantly rotated between Rock Smash, Thief and Grass Knot depending on the situation. It's really easy to do this gen since Luvdisc are all you get with the Old Rod.

It took a while for my Azurill to evolve (level 20 even though I used THREE Soothe Bags), but once I got Azumarill it was all worth it. It is destroying everything in it's path with Return and Aqua Tail. Totally worth the 1.5 hours of Azurill hunting. Every +Atk nature one had Thick Fat and every Huge Power one had a -Atk nature. I eventually settled for a Quirky one because I was just fed up with it. It's in-game use only, so as long as I have max EVs then the perfect nature doesn't matter. I had to do the same thing for my Litleo.

Last edited:
That so...? Well, I guess that means I just wasted a ton of balls for 8 heart scales. Forgot I was doing the same exact thing to my Chestnaught on my other game, alternating him between regular team member and HM slave.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Is there a way to soft reset for the legendaries that I don't know about, or do you have the patience of a monk and no problem constantly redoing that battle with Lysander and sitting through those cut scenes? Because if I remember right, at least as far as X goes, [SPOILER IN WHITE] there's the scene with Xerneas coming back to life, the battle against it, then the rebattle with Lysander, and then a cutscene after that.[/SPOILER] It's, like, 5 minutes before you can even check Pokemon summaries[/SPOILER] Are you seriously redoing all of that each time?
Xerneas's/Yveltal's neutral stats with 31 IVs are 201/151/115/151/118/119; neutral stats with 0 IVs are 186/136/100/136/103/104. Every stat point means two IVs, so if I want a 31/31/20+/31/20+/31, I only have to look for 110 Def and 113 Sp. Def. You can look at the stats as soon as Mienshao is sent out by Lysandre, so I only really go through all the battle if I fuck up and let Yveltal go to the box.

I wish somebody could confirm to me whether the PID/IVs can be SRed every time you face Yveltal, so I could run after the battle and then save. That fucking revival sequence got old already.

Last edited:

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I wish somebody could confirm to me whether the PID/IVs can be SRed every time you face Yveltal, so I could run after the battle and then save
Confirming that you can sr for yveltal after you kill it. That's what I did, anyways

Also just caught shiny sliggoo from friend safari ^^.

finally finished X this afternoon and even though i feel way behind everyone else on this forum(some ppl have started second runs? already??? WOW) this is the fastest [in terms of number of days] that i've finished a pokemon game. Even though its been repeated multiple times in this thread, i'm just going to go ahead and verify how op the new exp share is because it is unable to be ignored. Honestly though, i didn't mind it because this is the first game where i was able to use all 6 party slots in-game. usually i only use 4 (obv excluding HM slaves), and even sometimes 3 in games that have scarce amounts places to grind (cough FR/LG cough). Plus i like being over-leveled because it lets you enjoy the story/exploration/catching a LOT more when you don't have to spend hours on the side trying to grind up a new teammate.

the plot was eh. BW still has the hands-down best plot of the series but i think these games have a lot of potential for the sequel(s). the whole AZ thing was a nice touch if not a little...peculiar? but AZ's story with the beautifully done cut scenes almost had me shed a tear ill tell u what. damn son

However, I remain confused at the significance of the cover legends in the plot. They're just...there. Came out of nowhere. Relatively little mentions of them throughout the storyline. I think as far as cover legends go, BW has done the best in integrating them into the plot, with the concepts of truth and ideals repeatedly mentioned and leading up to a re-enactment of the ancient unova battle.
completely agree - don't you think it was odd for there to be those HUGE statues of reshiram/zekrom but nary a stray NPC mentions the XY cover legends. i mean that's a bit of an exaggeration of course, but i remember that it felt like literally every NPC in Striation town was blabbering about the unova legend and obviously N was reciting the story to you around every corner it seemed like. i honestly dont even remember what Xerneas really does - but then again maybe i was too distracted during The Big Reveal trying to discern if it's static electricity that makes lysandre's hair do that?? and if not i'll lay down some serious bandz for just the name of that hair gel

i will mention that the graphics are unbelievable and game freak really outdid themselves this time around - expectations met and thoroughly exceeded. Now i really really really want to see every region rendered in 3D and i'm not sure i can go back to the previous games....i mean they don't even remotely resemble B/W [unlike D/P which i thought probably could have been done on the GBA if they had wanted to]. I just like wandering around in this game and admiring how well they did everything. my favorite place is Couriway Town - those waterfalls are majestic as fuk. I also like the random NPC's house in Snowbelle who plays that snazzy jazz redux of the Jubilife city theme. when i super train/pokemon-amie i go and sit in their house just to listen to that music

Final team: ~41 hours

Greninja (lv. 80) [soaker]
Talonflame (lv. 80) [peep peep]
Venusaur (lv. 80) [lomo]
Aurorus (lv. 80) [sheridan]
Lucario (lv. 80) [valhalla]
Flygon (lv. 81) [ranger]

looking ahead - cant wait to spend all my $ on clothes at Luminose, cant wait to friend safari it up & i cant wait to raise all of the new Kalos mons that i didnt get to touch in-game. also i definitely can't wait for pokemon bank so i can do a second run :-)

Well, my perfect record of seeing zero random shinies remains intact so far!

The battle graphics and new Pokemon were amazing. Absolutely amazing. But the one thing that disappointed me is how strict the nickname censor is- It's bad enough that some default names (Weedle, Cofagrigus, Nosepass, etc.) are banned, but I can't even name my Rhyhorn (Which I have no intention of taking online) "Spike" because it contains a misspelling of a bad word I've never heard of in a foreign language? Seriously, Game Freak?
[/rant]

One thing that could be done to remedy the problem is to have a list of names that are exceptions to the censor. It would include all Pokemon names, plus common (nick)names such as Humphrey, Connor, Spike, etc.

Another solution would be to make it so that any mon that has a censored nickname shows its normal name if it's taken online, and permanently revert to its normal name if it's traded. Just my two cents.

Unrelated: What's the best post-game grinding spot? I have a bunch of dragons I have to train for the dex but I'm unsure of where to do it.

Last edited:
Just got my first shiny of X and Y!

Was a shiny Mankey in the Friend Safari :afrostar:

Edit: I am also STOKED over the 5 IV Destiny knot shit. In just a few captures I got in 1 friend safari the tools to breed both Gyarados and Drizzletoed with quint-perfect IV's and with the always possible chance of getting the 6 perfect ones you want getting flawless pokemon for Wi-Fi teams is SO much easier than ever before.

Last edited:
On my second playthrough having an absolute blast. My team is all Kalos pokemon and I must say they are all awesome. My Malamar has a -Atk nature yet it still shreds through everything that stands before it. Superpower raising your defense and attack? So broken lol.

I think breeding and EV training your in game team ruins the fun. It feels like your pokemon are just tools, instead of you catching and forming a bond with your pokemon. The game is already easy enough that you could have hindering natures and crap EVs (my team) and still destroy everything.

I think the story of this game had potential, and then it was wasted. AZ made no sense at all and I don't see the point of him. The battle with him after you beat the game is so random lol.

I find the game a little too easy. My Pokemon are already about level 50, and I am a little past the Pokeball Factory event.

Also, some things I forgot to mention in my first post:

I really love the concept of Pokemon-Amie. I think it really works to help you bond with your Pokemon, especially with the in-battle text changes.

Finally, my team right now (I defeated the champion a little while ago, so my Pokemon's levels are probably 2-3 higher than they were):

Delphox Lv. 68, Flamethrower/Psychic/Psyshock/Grass Knot
Charizard X Lv. 68, Flamethrower/Flare Blitz/Dragon Claw/Fly (Don't judge me)
Florges Lv. 67, Wish/Dazzling Gleam/Psychic/Magical Leaf (Petal Storm was physical so I passed on it, since Florges's SpA is roughly twice its Atk)
Tyrantrum Lv. 67, Dragon Claw/Earthquake/Rock Smash/Head Smash
Xerneas, Lv. 59, Moonblast/Geomancy/Megahorn/Night Slash
High Plains Vivillon, Lv. 70, Bug Buzz/Quiver Dance/Hurricane/Psychic

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)