XY UU team

So, hi everyone, this is my first real post/thread.

I'm here bringing you guys a really successful UU(beta) team i recently made. It is based around the threat known as Choice Specs Magnezone.

First things first, here it is:

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SAtk / 164 HP / 4 SDef / 88 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Magnezone, due to its awesome typing and offensive stats, can be one of the best wallbreakers there is in UU at the moment. The moveset is just the standart one with a twist, HP Grass. HP Grass is mainly for Swampert and Gastrodon, that wall magnezone to oblivion. Second, you might be wondering why I'm using speed EVs. Im using 88 Spd in order to give it 178 speed that will insure that Magnezone is faster than 4 Spd EVs Metagross.

The second pokemon that came in to my mind was one that has amazing bulk, the ability to set up CMs and possibly sweep, that has a nice synergy with Magnezone. That pokemon is:

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

CroCune (as this set is known for) is a Suicune set that can either late game sweep or just breaks walls and cause massive holes in the opponent team. As this is the most common Suicune set, I will not be getting in debt with it.

For the next spot, I just wanted a fast physical sweeper that is immune to Ground, to partially cover the Ground weakness, so I decided to run:

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Crunch

Mega Aerodactyl is one of the fastest Pokemon in the UU tier. With its amazing 150 base Speed and its remarkable 135 base attack, an Adamant nature will give Mega Aerodactyl a wopping 399 Speed and 405 Attack. Moveset and EV spread are standart, however you might consider the possibility to use Jolly Aerodactyl, to outspeed Max Speed Timid Mega Manectric. In the end of the day it is up to you, but I find the extra power to be more benefitial.

Next, another Ground immunity was important as it was a Defog user that is bulky and can hit hard. So, in my opinion, the pokemon I chose fits that role perfectly:

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Latias has an amazing typing and strong STAB moves that hit both defenses. Defog is an utility move, that will allow sweepers to come in without taking entry hazards damage and Roost is a move that will provide Latias to be alive longer to get those crucial Defogs off. Life Orb will guarantee that Latias hits opposing Pokemon really hard. EV spread is standart.

For the fifth stop, I looked for something to tank hits, that has realible way to recover HP, that is immune to electric and can set up Stealth Rock. Again, I don't think there is a Pokemon that fits the role better:

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Earthquake
- Slack Off

Hippowdon is monstrous wall that, in my opinion, shouldn't be UU. This set was inspired in Kushalos' Hippowdon set. Max HP, Max SDef with an Impish nature, gives Hippo a mixed bulk, as it reaches 243 SDef and 300 Def, with an outstanding 420 HP stat. Earthquake, Stealth Rock and Slack Off are obligatory Hippo moves and Whirlwind is there just to faze out threaths as well as to get SR damage.

Coming to final spot, all I needed was a Physical attacker that can abuse a Scarf and doesnt jeopardize the team with adicional weaknesses. I used Marrilan team builder to try to figure out the weaknesses and resistances and the Pokemon that got the honor of being the final member was:

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Heracross, holding a Choice Scarf and with its destructible sweeping Ability, makes it a really difficult Pokemon to stop. Close Combat and Megahorn are unbelievably powerful STAB moves, Earthquake provides the needed coverage to hit Fire types and Knock Off is just a brilliant move that is really useful this generation. If you are unlucky like me, use Earthquake as it is 100% accurate, but if you hit low accuracy moves easily and you feel like playing risky, then Stone Edge is a better move that Earthquake, due to the fact that you can hit Flying types making Heracross to have almost perfect coverage. You can also use Adamant Choice Scarf, but being Jolly allows Hera to outspeed a big portion of the UU metagame such as Timid Mega Manectric, Choice Scarf Chandelure and even Jolly Mega Aerodactyl.

I definetely feel this is a strong realiable team that has done exceptionally well in the ladder, but I guess it could use some suggestions in order to possibly be improved, so if you have any tips just comment saying what your recommendations are :]

Here's the team for all of you that may want to try it out

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 164 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 88 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Crunch

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Earthquake
- Slack Off

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Last edited:

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Chandelure is the biggest threat I can see to this team, in particular its Specs and LO SubSplit sets, as it can pretty much 2HKO your whole team with Shadow Ball alone. Using LO Hydreigon over Latias allows you to help remedy this problem since it can take its hits while filling a similar role as an offensive Dragon-type. The only thing that you really miss is Defog which isn't ~too~ necessary on your team since you don't have many SR weak mons other than Mega Aerodactyl. Speaking of which you should probably run Roost over Crunch on that since Crunch really doesn't cover anything and Megadactyl can find opportunities to Roost against stuff it forces out.

That being said, Hydreigon does make you significantly weaker to Fighting-types like Mienshao, Hawlucha, and Keldeo so I would consider using CM Slowbro over Suicune, as it can check them much more reliably and still serve as a bulky pivot / Calm Mind booster. It can also pivot into attacks much more reliably thanks to Regenerator and Slack Off. Ice Beam Slowbro in particular allows you to deal with SubCoil Zygarde which is another pretty big threat to your team, though Psyshock is still useful for checking Keldeo better.

Also you should probably be running a different set on Heracross, Scarf isn't really necessary since Megadactlyl can already revenge kill most of the stuff that Hera can and your team really needs a good physical wallbreaker right now. I think Swords Dance Heracross with Guts would be the best set for your team given its structure, giving you the means to break down bulky Pokemon like Slowbro and Chansey while being able to switch up moves. Plus, Guts can provide you with a status absorber after the loss of Suicune.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast / U-turn
- Roost

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Ice Beam / Psyshock
- Slack Off

Heracross @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Knock Off

Aerodactyl: Crunch --> Roost

Last edited:
DatBlast, thank you for your suggestions.
Despite your awesome suggestions, I think the team should remain the way it is right now. Latias' defog is crucial, this team does not appreciate hazard spam and requires a lot of switches so SR will be wraking up in the long run and Hydreigon is too slow and not really the pokemon I need in my honest opinion.
You say I should use Roost but Mega Aero isnt bulky enough to Roost and does need the coverage. Although needing coverage, Kushalos suggested me Aqua Tail to 2OHKO physically defensive Hippowdon.
Also, I feel Suicune is a much better CM user than Slowbro as it can outspeed a lot of stuff Slowbro can't, is bulkier in both defenses and HP and it doesnt mind to be statused.
I will consider some suggestions, but the team will probably remain the same. Thanks a lot dude, appreciate it :]

Hmm, speaking of CroCune, maybe running enough speed to outspeed 252 Speed Adamant Crawdaunt is a good thing, i think is just like 16 ev's to reach 210. As you don't use sub, the 404 HP aren't really crucial.
Same for the 4 HP ev's on Aerodactyl, you should put them into spD or defense.

Concerning Slowbro, it depends. For sure, his bulk, and the fact it checks better a lots of threats than suicune are good, but it makes you weaker to knock off spam. But i used Slowbro and honestly he's great.

Camarade Papadov, thank you for the suggestion. I do agree that outspeeding Crawdaunt is crucial, so I will give it the necessary EVs to do so.
However, the 4 EV in HP in Aerodactyl are definetely needed, as it gets an odd HP number and thus provides it the useful ability to live 4 SR entrys, because the first SR damage does only 24%.
Thanks a lot for the tips, I really am thankful :]

Holy moly, I just wanted to point out:

+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Earthquake vs. 164 HP / 0 Def Magnezone: 636-752 (197.5 - 233.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Outrage vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 369-435 (122.1 - 144%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Outrage vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latias: 702-828 (232.4 - 274.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heracross: 408-481 (112 - 132.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 211-249 (52.2 - 61.6%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Outrage vs. 252 HP / 4+ Def Hippowdon: 253-298 (60.2 - 70.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

& it sets up easily on Aerodactyl, or Heracross, or Suicune. Literally your only options are to phaze it out with Hippowdon (temporary fix) or revenge with Magnezone if it's locked into Outrage, but bear in mind it OHKOs Magnezone even before a boost. I think you need to build in a solid check to be safe. Do you feel you have trouble with Haxorus in general? Or can you manage to play around it with Hippowdon?

It's damn hard to check defensively, since it 2HKOs virtually every physical wall even with Jolly. I don't know how you'd feel about this, but something I like in OU is running TrickScarf Latios. If you put a Scarf on your Latias, you could revenge Haxorus even at +1 with DM to OHKO. Moreover, Trick cripples the walls that want to come in on Latias (CHANSEY, Florges, Doublade, Specially Defensive Hippowdown, Cress, Porygon2 & to a lesser extent Specially Defensive Zapdos, Mew, Celebi). Basically everyone expects your Latias to be the standard LO Defog / Recover / DM / Psyshock but with a practiced Trick you could put yourself at a big advantage early on. You could still run Defog in the fourth slot, if you're not innately opposed to the idea of Defog on a Scarf'd mon. You'll lose LO hitting power but imo make up for it in utility.

Scarf Hydreigon in place of MegaDactyl is another solid check to +1 Haxorus, and so discourages it from setting up in the first place.

Just keep an eye out for those rampaging Haxorus is all I'm saying. Hope I gave you something to think about, and good luck !

Last edited:
Nice point Jin White! Actually once Haxorus sets up a DD I have to let something die to outrage and revenge kill with Magnezone, but I haven't had a lot of troubles dealing with Haxorus. The second thing is that the idea of Trick Latias seems really good actually, but either Defog and Roost are essential, I don't think I can replace anything..
the end of the day, the only thing I need to do is play around Haxorus, as it is such a powerful threat.
Thank you for your help! :]

I played you earlier. I swept with a SubCoil Zygarde who easily comes in on Magnezone, sets up a sub and wrecks stuff. He can also somewhat setup up on Suicune if you're not lucky with scald. With that being said I'd give Aerodactyl Taunt or Whirlwind > Crunch or Earthquake which ever one you use less.

Taunt is the most practical but if you really want to stop Zygarde in his tracks Whirlwind outspeeds his Dragon Tail.

Yeah dude, the battle was reckless. That Zygarde is a thread. I dont know, maybe Ice Fang on Hippo could do the same thing. However, Zygarde is not common so I'll figure out something :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)