SS OU YAHT (Yet Another Hail Team, Arctozolt Offense)

I look away for a few months and Hail becomes a dominant playstyle in OU? And the main Pokemon who abuses it is a Pokemon that would have been ZU had it not been for the Crown Tundra granting it its Hidden Ability? Some things sure are strange, aren't they?

At any rate, once learning of the absolute terror that is Arctozolt with Slush Rush, I knew I had to try it out. And after seeing rather promising results that brought my test account up to the 1300s, I thought I'd bring it here for suggestions. And so, without further ado, here's the teambuilding process!'

1637621076218.png

First off, we have the snot-nosed electric bird fish thing. Crazy fast, crazy strong, STAB Electric and Ice type moves for most of the metagame. What more can you ask? Well, you can ask for quite a lot. For starters, outside of hail, Arctozolt is nigh useless with the exception of faring extremely well against defensive staples Blissey, Clefable, Ferrothorn and Toxapex, though given their ludicrously slow speed and passivity, that should be a given. Arctozolt also outspeeds and demolishes non-Chople variants of Tyranitar with Low Kick, as T-Tar does not typically run a max speed set for mons that just barely underspeed it like Arctozolt.
1637621076218.png
1637621089295.png

What's a hail team without Alolan Ninetales? Well, a bad one, since the only other user of Snow Warning is Abomasnow, whose qualities would not make it attractive in comparison to Alolan Ninetales, which can set up hail, Aurora Veil, and lock setup Pokemon into their shenanigans with Encore. It's even good against any weather setter not named Tyranitar or Torkoal, as its Freeze Dry allows it to take care of opposing Pelipper and Hippowdon, should it lock the latter into Stealth Rock with Encore. As a lead, it's also amazing against the occasional Garchomp and Lando-T, since it outspeeds non-Scarf variants of both.
1637621076218.png
1637621089295.png
1637621124682.png

As for the aforementioned Tyranitar and Torkoal, that's where Kyurem comes in! A general beast for weather teams, it can remove opposing weather setters with relative ease, including Pelipper and Hippowdon if Ninetales-A is down for whatever reason. It's also the main special attacker that's immune to Hail, for physically defensive walls that Arctozolt simply cannot take care of for whatever reason.
1637621076218.png
1637621089295.png
1637621124682.png
1637621151511.png

One would notice an overabundance of ice types in this team. They would be right in pointing out that, as a result of this, the team is overwhelmingly weak to Steel types and Rock Types. It also doesn't have a whole lot of ways to transition into the actual threats of the team when necessary. This is where Corviknight comes in, with its physically defensive set, it can clear hazards, take a hit, and pivot into a teammate who can actually do something to the opposition! It's also good on physical cleaners due to its massive physical Defense for downright brutal Body Presses. It can also tank an unboosted Kartana Sacred Sword or a Barraskewda Close Combat before pivoting into a Pokemon more suited to dealing with them.
1637621076218.png
1637621089295.png
1637621124682.png
1637621151511.png
1637621190508.png

But what about fire types? What about, gasp, specially offensive fire types? That's where Heatran comes in! It can switch into any fire type attack and dish out huge damage in return! And if they switch out, the Pokemon coming in will have to deal with Magma Storm if it connects on the switch. Apply Toxic for bonus damage and Taunt to prevent setup and phasing, and we're golden!
1637621076218.png
1637621089295.png
1637621124682.png
1637621151511.png
1637621190508.png
1637621224106.png

...It's Lando-T. If your team does not include Lando-T in any way, it isn't a good team.
In all seriousness, Lando-T provides much needed glue for the team. It softens blows from Kartana and other physical threats like Barraskewda that would rip through the entire team if given the opportunity, it sets up Stealth Rocks, serving as an alternate lead instead of Ninetales-A if I am uncertain on what my opponent will lead with if they have a potential Ninetales-A counter.

Now, in terms of actual, active threats to the team I have concerns about...
1637625610037.png

Alolan Marowak is a rare sight in OU, but it does remain a cause for concern for me if Landorus, Kyurem and Heatran are taken out, as it is strong against the other three of my six team members, especially in Trick Room.
1637625786781.png

This dumb fish goes insanely fast out of rain. So fast, in fact, that none of my Pokemon are capable of revenge killing it if it manages to get a good switch, especially if Lando-T is taken care of by another teammate. Only Arctozolt under Hail is capable of dealing with it effectively, as it otherwise outspeeds and lays waste to every member of the team with choice banded Close Combats off of a base 123 attack stat.

Here's the paste of the full team: https://pokepast.es/c6088d29ed69a1a0
Is it good, is it bad? Should I replace a Pokemon with another? Please leave your feedback in the comments.

This is a niche pick but you could try blizzard over ice beam on kyurem. Been thinking about this set recently and blizzards destructive power would be insane

Team is pretty Nice but i doubt about your choose of Freeze-dry on Arctozolt . You have Bolt Beak for water types and freeze dry struggle with some ice weak mons
0-SpA Arctozolt Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 304-360 (79.5 - 94.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0-SpA Arctozolt Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 288-340 (68.5 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0-SpA Arctozolt Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragapult: 158-188 (49.8 - 59.3%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

I would recommend Icicle Crash (maybe Icicle Spear) as it is a physical attacker

Although Freeze-dry put pressure on rain team against Seismitoad and Quagsire but i fear it couldn't OHKO them.

Team is pretty Nice but i doubt about your choose of Freeze-dry on Arctozolt . You have Bolt Beak for water types and freeze dry struggle with some ice weak mons
0-SpA Arctozolt Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 304-360 (79.5 - 94.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0-SpA Arctozolt Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 288-340 (68.5 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0-SpA Arctozolt Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragapult: 158-188 (49.8 - 59.3%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

I would recommend Icicle Crash (maybe Icicle Spear) as it is a physical attacker

Although Freeze-dry put pressure on rain team against Seismitoad and Quagsire but i fear it couldn't OHKO them.
Freeze Dry is there for Toxapex and rain team mons like the aforementioned Seismitoad and Quagsire. The first example is especially important to safely figure out whether Toxapex uses Toxic or Baneful Bunker to spread poison damage, as the former would be a minor inconvenience at worst, though the latter would mean Toxapex could stall it out successfully by repeatedly pivoting after procing the poison from Baneful Bunker if no other options on my team are available.

I won't deny, however, that Icicle Crash/Icicle Spear would be excellent on Arctozolt, especially with the aforementioned Lando-T, Garchomp and Dragapult.

Slight bump, but I made an improvement to the team.

I noticed one Pokemon is able to not only outspeed every Pokemon on my team, but also absolutely wreck them without much thought due to just how fast it goes. Dragapult.

That thing's speed is absolutely absurd, and should always be something to be aware of. As such, I figured the best solution would be to install a special revenge-killing set for Dragapult and other faster offensive threats, replacing Kyurem, who wasn't exactly doing a whole lot anyways outside of dealing with opposing weathers.

Dragapult @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- Scald

The theory behind this particular set is that Dragapult with Choice Scarf outspeeds not only other mainstream sets of Dragapult, but also OHKOs them as well, alongside showing a capacity to deal with other relevant meta threats.
252+ SpA Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragapult: 492-582 (155.2 - 183.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Arctozolt: 261-307 (81.3 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (can at least put a serious dent into it before I am OHKO'd by Icicle Crash)
252+ SpA Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem: 422-500 (104.1 - 123.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I have yet to test this thing out, but I will return with updates when able.

Slight bump, but I made an improvement to the team.

I noticed one Pokemon is able to not only outspeed every Pokemon on my team, but also absolutely wreck them without much thought due to just how fast it goes. Dragapult.

That thing's speed is absolutely absurd, and should always be something to be aware of. As such, I figured the best solution would be to install a special revenge-killing set for Dragapult and other faster offensive threats, replacing Kyurem, who wasn't exactly doing a whole lot anyways outside of dealing with opposing weathers.

Dragapult @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- Scald

The theory behind this particular set is that Dragapult with Choice Scarf outspeeds not only other mainstream sets of Dragapult, but also OHKOs them as well, alongside showing a capacity to deal with other relevant meta threats.
252+ SpA Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragapult: 492-582 (155.2 - 183.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Arctozolt: 261-307 (81.3 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (can at least put a serious dent into it before I am OHKO'd by Icicle Crash)
252+ SpA Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem: 422-500 (104.1 - 123.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I have yet to test this thing out, but I will return with updates when able.
I would try scarf kyurem instead, it takes care of dragapult and is much stronger

I honestly think scarf pult is the scarfer you want to use, though I was kinda thinking along the lines HISELOISOVER9000 in the scarf kyurem could be better, or maybe even specs dragapult as it isn't to much slower than scarf kyurem iirc. Though even then, scarf has its merits as many scarfers outspeed zolt even in hail, two big ones for your team include blacephlon and kart, who can either hit their checks very hard, or commonly have a partner to trap these checks (magnezone). I would either keep scarf pult (I can't believe I'm saying this either), or make heatran specially defensive, as without reliable recovery and it being a very predictable switch in, even scarfed blace's shadow ball does at least 40% to it, and once tran goes down, scarf blace devours this team as it also has a 47% to 2hko kyurem from full with flamethrower and an almost 96% chance to do the same to lando, making it extremely spammable against your team as 2/3rds of the team are weak and only one member(the easily chippable tran) doesn't care about it.

I would try scarf kyurem instead, it takes care of dragapult and is much stronger
I honestly think scarf pult is the scarfer you want to use, though I was kinda thinking along the lines HISELOISOVER9000 in the scarf kyurem could be better, or maybe even specs dragapult as it isn't to much slower than scarf kyurem iirc. Though even then, scarf has its merits as many scarfers outspeed zolt even in hail, two big ones for your team include blacephlon and kart, who can either hit their checks very hard, or commonly have a partner to trap these checks (magnezone). I would either keep scarf pult (I can't believe I'm saying this either), or make heatran specially defensive, as without reliable recovery and it being a very predictable switch in, even scarfed blace's shadow ball does at least 40% to it, and once tran goes down, scarf blace devours this team as it also has a 47% to 2hko kyurem from full with flamethrower and an almost 96% chance to do the same to lando, making it extremely spammable against your team as 2/3rds of the team are weak and only one member(the easily chippable tran) doesn't care about it.
I chose Scarf Pult in particular because it not only outsped other Dragapult, but also resisted Kartana and Blacephalon (the latter, of course, when not locked into Shadow Ball).
For that reason, I decided to change Heatran's EVs and Nature to the more traditional Specially Defensive set so as to survive Scarf Blacephalon's Shadow Balls easier.
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 136 SpD / 120 Spe
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

I forgot to mention this, but replace either scald or flamethrower for u-turn so pult can pivot, also surf or hydropump are generally better options to scald on pult for their extra power, something pult can somewhat lack at times, especially without its reading glasses.

I forgot to mention this, but replace either scald or flamethrower for u-turn so pult can pivot, also surf or hydropump are generally better options to scald on pult for their extra power, something pult can somewhat lack at times, especially without its reading glasses.
yeah, I typically found myself using Draco Meteor or Fire Blast more often than Scald, so that does make sense. Replacing Scald with U-Turn for the extra pivot capability.

I chose Scarf Pult in particular because it not only outsped other Dragapult, but also resisted Kartana and Blacephalon (the latter, of course, when not locked into Shadow Ball).
For that reason, I decided to change Heatran's EVs and Nature to the more traditional Specially Defensive set so as to survive Scarf Blacephalon's Shadow Balls easier.
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 136 SpD / 120 Spe
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic
Even if it resists leaf blade and flamethrower it has basically no defensive benefit, plus with heatran on your team kartana and blacephalon will be clicking knock off and shadow ball, respectively the vast majority of the time. Scarf dragapult isn’t really viable because it has pretty bad special attack, making it very weak while kyurem can check everything you want while being speed control with good special attack. Plus kyurem has much more bulk than drag and generally eats hits pretty well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)