Your Top 10 Favourite Songs of All Time

Dont use embedded Youtube in this topic
It kills hipmonlees flash.

Byrne made a comparable thread a while back, but that was for albums. I hope a top 10 of individual songs justifies its own thread as well, since songs are different enough from entire albums.

Anyways, the idea is simple, post your top 10 (or top 5, top 3, whatever you like), and explain what makes them end up on your list. Feel free to discuss lists of others, but don't make this a ''you listen to X, so you suck!'' thread, please.

Ellie Goulding - Your Song

#10 I'm usually not a fan of pop music and female vocalists in general, but I have to admit that I like Ellie Goulding more than I probably should. She's a good singer, and much better to look at than your average singer nowadays (opinions, opinions...). I'm more of a fan of fast-paced, highly energetic songs (check out the rest of my list), but every now and then I play some of this to calm down. Now, off to the rest of my list:

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Right on Time

#9 The Peppers are my favourite artists out there, and this is the first of three entries in my top 10. It's the best thing off Californication, if you ask me. The main verses are highly energetic and wild, but the choruses are what makes this song so fantastic; Flea's bassline is brutal, and John Frusciante's backing vocals are divine.

Pendulum - Hold Your Colour

#8 And then I don't mean the album, I mean the song. It is like three different kind of songs fit together, but somehow, Pendulum makes it work. Tight vocals, and a good, diverse instrumental part.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Dani California

#7 Probably the song with the best video the Peppers have ever released - Flea makes for a brilliant Bootsy Collins. I like songs that have some story behind them, and it that aspect, Dani California delivers. John Frusciante displays some masterful guitar work (with probably my favourite-ever guitar solo). Flea and Chad Smith for a brilliant pair on bass on drums, and for this song, that is no exception.

Yeasayer - Ambling Alp

#6 I only recently listened to Odd Blood for the first time, but damn, it's good. This is my favourite song of the album. Yeasayer has done something really well with the instrumental parts of their music. It packs some very interesting vocals and lyrics, too. I love the high-pitched vocals in the bridge.

Sub Focus - Out of the Blue

#5 I'm relatively new to Sub Focus, but this song struck me immediately. The main 'riff', if you can call it that, is mesmerizing. The vocals don't add much, but do add a certain feel to the song. A fine balance between energy and feeling, if you ask me.

Daft Punk - Digital Love

#4 One of Daft Punk's most underrated songs. The first three or so minutes of the song are very sweet, but then turn into a huge synthesizer solo, filled with little subtleties and other pretty things along the way.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Pretty Little Ditty

#3 This song is exactly what the name says it is; a pretty little ditty. It is, indeed, very pretty. The guitar riff (which also ended up in Crazy Town's ''Butterfly'') is one of the best ever created. Flea's bass lines are beautiful, and the trumpets make the song perfect.

Pendulum - Plastic World

#2 I'm a big Pendulum fan, and this is, perhaps, the best thing they've ever put out. Rob Swire's voice is perfect for the song. The backing vocals are great, and the bass wobbles are fantastic, while still being subtle. Fantastic track.

Crystal Fighters - In the Summer

#1 My all-time favourite song. It has everything I look for in a song; it moves fast, but is still chill, and always leaves me with a good feeling. The text makes it the perfect summer song. It feels like a constant stream of music, changing course throughout the song. It never bores me, and probably never will.

So there you have it, my top 10 favourites of all time. Of course this will probably vary every now and then, but still. Like I said before, please don't turn this into a bashing thread, but appreciate each other's music tastes.

Edit: just now do I realize that none of my top 10 songs have any cowbell in them... Shame on me.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
#10 Kiss - God Gave Rock And Roll To You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1yvQV7J47o
I was in elementary school when I saw my 4th favorite movie, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. In middle school I saw my 8th favorite movie, Detroit Rock City. Life has just come full circle. I saw Kiss in concert one week ago today. I couldn't justify any single Bowie, Duran Duran, or Police song, but I had to put Kiss on here.

#9 Journey - Separate Ways
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LatorN4P9aA
If this wasn't on the list then Don't Stop Believing would be. But while the previous is a the quintessential hope song, Separate Ways is about hope coming from a bleak and hopeless situation. This song makes me want to make a survival horror game where you are constantly assaulted by sad shit but you have to just keep moving on.

#8 The Cranberries - Zombie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ejga4kJUts
This is a recent addition to my list, both as a 90s song and as something that I've been listening to on loop lately. Actually I was at a video game bar while on vacation and this song came on while playing Super Smash Brothers and I was all like "this is my jam!" and then I swept with Jigglypuff. Anyway the lyrics here are so fucking good.

#7 Bruce Hornsby - The Way It Is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlRQjzltaMQ
If this song is not on your list then you are a racist.

#6 Bon Jovi - Runaway
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s86K-p089R8
This is just one of those songs I insanely enjoy, the keyboard is fucking brilliant and it just invokes something very passionate in me. I've been combing this song for video game ideas for a little over a year now and it is still fascinating.

#5 Prince - Purple Rain
Prince has decided to block himself from the internet so here.
Thriller won over Purple Rain for best album in the other thread. But for the title song? Well daaaamn son it's all about Purple Rain. There is no more soulful ballade in existence, it is pure beauty in song form.

#4 The Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lazdg-eqmQ
However Purple Rain is only edged out slightly by pure class. Nights in White Satin is from the #1 Album I had in the other thread, and I mentioned there how the album used orchestral music and poetry to back up their rock. The end result is a song about unrequited love blacker than the night it was based on.

#3 Don Henley - The Boys of Summer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA7svnTnay4
I know I've mentioned before that music makes me hallucinate. I dialed back describing songs by their visuals up until now, but this song will always be a favorite just because from second one it is so vivid and colorful. It also invokes inescapable feelings of nostalgia.

#2 New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOmazuzCXCg
I don't even like masturbatory one minute intros but the long version of this song is the only one that matters. After the last few songs let me stew in the past, this is the one that lifts me up and makes me want to do awesome things in life.

#1 Michael Sembello - Maniac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x1K5UH2nek
Every other song on this list is subject to change and switch positions, due to the nature of music being something you experience repeatedly and sometimes growing tired of. This is not the case with Maniac, and it's even my ring tone. Maniac is the perfect song and I love note hit by every instrument. There's also the fact that if you applied this song to something other than dancing, it'd be the perfect song for my life.

Honorable Mentions:
Kim Wilde - Keep Me Hangin' On
Toto - Africa
Def Leppard - Foolin'
The Beach Boys - Wouldn't It Be Nice
Hall & Oates - Family Man
Billy Joel - An Innocent Man
Queen - Princes of the Universe
REO Speedwagon - Keep On Loving You
Don Henley - The End of the Innocence
Waren Zevon - Werewolves of London

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I just picked songs that came to mind. Some days I like others more, but these are the ones I've chosen for now. There are 3 songs from Bjork on the list right now, but in a month there might be 3 Sleater-Kinney songs, may tastes change all the time. I've mixed up the links, some are live performances and others are from albums, enjoy.

10.Birthday- The Sugarcubes

Whenever I hear this song it makes me feel new, child-like joy. Bjork's vocal chords should be preserved like Einstein's brain, they are divine.

9. Warrior- THe Yeah Yeah Yeahs
For some reason this has always been my favorite song from Karen O.

8. Wanderlust- Bjork WATCH THE FULL VIDEO FOR MAXIMUM WTF

I love how rich Bjork's music is, her voice fleshes everything out and it creates a 'full' sound. One of my criticisms of a lot of music that I don't like is that the sound is 'minimal.'

7.Paper Planes, MIA

The Clash are so celebrated on these forums, and M.I.A created a really tight song out of a sample of 'Straight to Hell.' Sometimes good music does get popular.

6. Gigantic- The Pixies

Kim Deal's anthem to the black dick. Awesome song and she looks really hot in the video too. Love the Pixies, Surfer Rosa, and Kim Deal. I could have chosen any Kim Deal song, but this is what I'm into right now.

5. Unravel- Bjork

RADIOHEAD FANS TAKE NOTE: I don't give a fuck about Tom York, but he's gone on the record saying that this is his favorite song, so maybe you'll give a fuck. Bjork's voice is immaculate, enjoy.

4. Thru the Eyes of Ruby- The Smashing Pumpkins

I like so many smashing pumpkins songs, but I chose this song because not only is it one of favorites, but it also really captures their greatness.

3. End of You- Sleater-Kinney

Sleater-Kinney is so fucking good. If you like punk, listen. Also their lyrics always have literature references, which make me feel smart.

2. Little Wing- Jimi Hendrix

Jimi Hendrix, I don't care who the 'best' guitarist ever is, but he's up there. This song has always been really colorful to me, that's one of the reasons I love him so much, his music is so vivid.

1. Birdland- Patti Smith

Patti Smith at the height of her perfection, Birdland is the peak of her monumental punk album Horses. Cathartic, she alternates between speaking and singing. Listen to it on as loud volume as you can stand with no distractions.

I decided to only include one song per artist in the interest of making a less repetitive list. I will list honourable mentions overall and for some of the artists, though, so you can see what was in the running~

The order of everything after 3 is kinda arbitrary, but the first 3 are quite solidifed :)

1. The Arcade Fire - Une Année sans Lumière

Link

I love everything about this song. The emotion in the vocals, the beauty and cleverness of the lyrics in French and English (aesthetically, in meaning, and in sound), the instrumentation. Hey, my eyes are shooting sparks; la nuit mes yeux t'éclairent. The sombre way this gorgeous line is sung just wrenches my heart every time. I don't know what else to say about it; it's just so graceful and moving. (une.annee.sans.lumiere has been my vhost on my nick on IRC ever since DejaToons, but you wouldn't know that because I never use it lalala)

Honourable Mentions: Haïti, In the Backseat, Crown of Love, Neighbourhood #1 (Tunnels)

2. Crystal Castles - Black Panther

Link

My favourite Crystal Castles song, and the one that actually introduced me to the band. I tend to have soft spots for my gateway songs/albums :) I've always favoured the softer, less glitchy side to Crystal Castles. I can listen to this song endlessly because of the gentle softness to its sound, although the contrast with the (albeit muffled) harsh lyrics is actually very striking -- it's another aspect of the song I adore!

Honourable Mentions: Celestica, Knights, Untrust Us, Courtship Dating

3. capsule - Sugarless GiRL

Link

This song rarely fails to cheer me up (pretty much only when it's serious). It's so bouncy (and the translation of the lyrics actually makes sense for cheering you up!), it's catchy, it's pretty in its own way... I love to sing along with this song <3 I once listened to it on repeat for eight days, and I love it as much as I did then. I only stopped so I could listen to other things, not because I was tired >_>

Honourable Mentions: To be honest, Sugarless GiRL is an obvious choice for me, but I'm also fond of JUMPER, dreamin dreamin, and SPIDER

4. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Hysteric

Link

I LOVE THIS SONG. It's so beautiful and gentle and Karen's vocals are just incredibly raw and sweet in their vulnerability. It was a little difficult for me to pick which Yeah Yeah Yeahs song to include, but I feel confident in my choice... this song belongs on my top 10 list for sure, it's got such a special place in my heart. I do enjoy the background music; the acoustic version is really good too, by the way. I always find myself captivated by the line 'flow sweetly, hang heavy; you suddenly complete me, you suddenly complete me'. I really feel like the emotion behind it resonates with me when I hear it.

Honourable Mentions: Kiss Kiss, Maps, Cheated Hearts, Phenomena

5. 65daysofstatic - Retreat! Retreat!

Link

Okay, so you know how I've described several of these songs from an emotional standpoint? THIS. THIS SONG. When I listen to this song, I feel almost exhausted, in a cathartic way. Like I've been travelling a long distance on some kind of challenging, difficult journey, and I'm finally reaching the conclusion of it, but the danger's not over yet. I feel uplifted, drained, and exhilarated at many points in the 4 minutes and 10 seconds duration of this song; still, I never feel like it's only 4:10 though, because the song is so gripping that it feels more like a 16 minute epic to me.

Honourable Mentions: none, although I quite like a lot of 65dos songs... don't shoot me, GP

6. Genki Rockets - Heavenly Star

Link

So catchy, pretty, sparkly, and upbeat! I always want to sing and dance when I hear this song. How can you not feel hopeful and energetic when you hear it? (Or even just see the music video...) I also love the theme of this song, and in fact the whole album, of stars making emotional connections despite immense physical distance and isolation. (That's sorta their whole thing... the fictional character who represents Genki Rockets, Lumi, is supposed to be born in 2016, the first person to be born on the moon, who has never seen Earth. Kinda lonely, right? In the concerts they did for Live Earth Tokyo, she spoke about how she's never been on Earth and seen the trees/seas/I wanna be where the people are, I wanna see, I wanna see 'em dancing etc.) Many of my most valuable and long-lasting relationships have been made online, and I know a lot of Smogoners will agree with me there.

Honourable Mentions: Curiosity, make.believe, Breeze, Star Line

7. Kylie Minogue - Spinning Around

Link

This was the hardest artist for me to pick between on the list ._. But Spinning Around was my favourite song of all time... well, as a child. It's so spirited and I always used to like to dance to it haha, I was really obsessed with it =) I didn't know the lyrics to any other song, but I knew them all to this and so it was just kinda 'my song'. Even now I still love it immensely, so it's on the list!

Honourable Mentions: Get Outta My Way, Fever, On a Night Like This, In Your Eyes, Love at First Sight, In My Arms, Made of Glass

8. HRSTA - Swallow's Tail

Link

Uh, so I've never mentioned this to many people, but I've been fixated with this song for years... Some of the lyrics are really hard to make out, but the ones I do understand really, really capture my imagination with the imagery used. I was so desperate to know the lyrics that I even emailed the band about it, but I never got a reply. I've figured out most of them by ear, but it's taken me a long time and I daresay I'll never know the complete version. Anyway, I like the song for other reasons too, but the main thing that propels it into my top ten is the lyrics... ~_~

Honourable Mentions: none

9. Broken Social Scene - Anthems for a Seventeen Year-Old Girl

Link

My favourite thing about being seventeen years old was being the same age as the song alludes to. I'm a huge fan of Emily Haines's vocals, and they're stellar here. The song is actually an acquired taste in my opinion, but it slowly crept up on me and began to break my heart as I came to relate to it more (it really does perfectly sum up a typical, even clichéd, high school experience, imo -- drifting away from people dear to you as they change in a way that is no longer recognisable to you, often becoming what they despised all along). It's also really catchy >.> My favourite part of the song is the repetition of the lyrics 'Park that car, drop that phone, sleep on the floor, dream about me'... don't know why but the image of that always haunted me.

Honourable Mentions: none, although I like Broken Social Scene a lot -- worth noting that two songs performed by Emily Haines make the overall honourable mentions list too

10. The Flaming Lips - Race for the Prize

Link

OKAY, SO. I like this song for two major reasons. The first is more personal, so I'll tell it first. One of my main interests is the Ebola virus, and growing up as a teenager, before I came to accept it kinda wasn't gonna happen for reasons I've posted about before but don't wanna go into right now, my dream was to become a virologist and research emerging viruses. The lyrics of this song are about two scientists who will do anything, even if it kills them, to win the 'race for the prize' -- i.e. find the cure to a given deadly disease first. 'Upwards to the vanguard, where the pressure is so high... Under the microscope, hope against hope...' So this song has always been one of my theme songs. You can take it literally or figuratively, but I've always chosen to take it literally, because I love the story behind it and because The Flaming Lips have made heavy use of science fiction imagery on other occasions too.

The other reason is just that I think this song sounds really beautiful. I don't know how to describe the music to this song other than lush. It just kinda pushes all the right buttons for me.

Honourable Mentions: Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (pts. 1 and 2), One More Robot (Sympathy 3000-21), Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell, Feeling Yourself Disintegrate

----- Honourable Mentions -----

Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton - Reading in Bed

This song was really difficult to find a place for in the top ten -- it would've been #11 for sure. I kinda consider it my character theme, just I've always really related to the imagery and meaning behind the lyrics. I love Emily Haines's soft, wistful singing over the piano in the background. The song just has an atmosphere that it sets perfectly with the lyrics and sound -- it all comes together really nicely to make that lovely melancholy.

Honourable Mentions: none come close, but I'll list Crowd Surf off a Cliff and Nothing and Nowhere

Metric - Grow Up and Blow Away

While I relate to this song less and it's definitely not serene, the last sentence from the above paragraph pretty much sums this one up. 'If this is the life, why does it feel so good to die today?' The way Emily sings this, it's just so fucking poignant in relation to the story @_@

Honourable Mentions: Down, Gimme Sympathy, Sick Muse, Satellite Mind, Help I'm Alive, Combat Baby

Porcupine Tree - Trains

I find the sense of longing and loss of the past in this song really fucking haunting ('always, the summers are slipping away...'). I think it's just awesome overall, kinda running out of energy to write about my emotional reactions, but it's catchy, melodic, and heartwrenching.

Honourable Mentions: Synaesthesia, Blackest Eyes, Lazarus, Normal, Sentimental

1. The Arcade Fire - Une Année sans Lumiere
2. Crystal Castles - Black Panther
3. capsule - Sugarless GiRL
4. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Hysteric
5. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps
6. The Arcade Fire - In the Backseat
7. 65daysofstatic - Retreat! Retreat!
8. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Kiss Kiss
9. Kylie Minogue - Spinning Around
10. Crystal Castles - Celestica

Jumpluff you only put the very end of the link in the Youtube links like after it says v=

As far as my favorite 10 songs goes, I wouldn't know where to start. I have certain favorite songs but the thing is that when I really like a song or an artist, I must get the entire album unless the rest of it is utter trash (See: Sail by AWOLNATION) which means that often times I don't think of a cohesive album as individual songs but as one continuous work, easily seen with exceptional bands such as Between the Buried and Me

#1. Both of Us by B.O.B feat. Taylor Swift

This is currently my favorite jam. Taylor's voice in this is just umf. Meanwhile, B.O.B, who is one of my two favorite rappers, actually does a decent job in rapping in this one. Usually I hate songs like this because of Kanye West's job on ET, but it's actually pretty good.

#2. Part of Me by Katy Perry

I could listen to this every day. Has the catchiest beat, and the demo version is even better (but needs a HQ version bad)

#3. Blow Me One Last Kiss by P!nk

Really good, and I love it, but it's really loud for some reason. Like, the HQ version almost broke my headphones.

#4. I Do Not Hook Up by Kelly Clarkson

I just love Kelly in general. She's a fabulous singer and why doesn't she get more recognition? This song is great and the video for it is hilarious.

#5. Since You Been Gone by Kelly Clarkson

Kelly's older songs are wonderful and I've always wanted to destroy some one's house like she did in the video.

#6. Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen

Anyone who's seen me on PS knows my love for this song. The love is for the sheer annoying power I can output when I sing it. I plan to use this piss off everyone at 7 am in the school parking lot.

#7. Growing Pains by Katy Hudson (Perry)

Katy, before she became big, wrote a whole christian-pop album with Island Jam records before they dropped her. This song is my favorite simple because it's catchy, it's up beat, and she says "eloquent philosophy" in a British accent, which is the best thing ever.

#8. Firework by Katy Perry

I used to actually not like this song, and I'm still wondering why. It's really catchy and fun and I love it.

#9. California Gurls by Katy Perry

Love the beat, and of course:

#10. We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together by Taylor Swift

Ray Jay will love me for this one. It's really good.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
songs i like
[youtube]5BqJVzNtSPM[/youtube]
this was the first doom song i ever listened to i think, it has really aged well and also i got my username from this song

[youtube]eoZ1FAJ9fUA[/youtube]
man this song is so upbeat yet so gloomy at the same time, it was the first btmi song that i listened to and it is so radically different from their other shit it just has stuck

[youtube]OfhhWA9GF0M[/youtube]
dont judge me

[youtube]qLrnkK2YEcE[/youtube]
wow this song is weird as hell, doomvm linked it to me one time and i have proceeded to show it to everyone because it is fucking genius, everything seems so well put together that it just blows me away or maybe im just insane

[youtube]yzC4hFK5P3g[/youtube]
apparently i am marrying her according to jumpluff

[youtube]fppQte6VXUI[/youtube]
by far my favourite gorillaz song - i honestly cant think of why i like it so much more, maybe its the chorus

[youtube]6Uxc9eFcZyM[/youtube]
heard this song on the radio and it stuck with me, the vocals are super nice and duran duran always have good music videos so thats cool i guess

[youtube]gkroIXktjgE[/youtube]
id put the entire album on here but i cant so i wont

[youtube]iZjjsrn9FY4[/youtube]
i just like queen ok

[youtube]0S13mP_pfEc[/youtube]
so me ck/hipmonlee/doomvm/others were doing the rolling stone 500 greatest songs of all time, and this song was the hugest shock to me - every single thing about this song is absolutely perfect and its so upbeat whilst also having a slightly dark tone which i guess i love or something

Good idea for a thread, MC! I was strongly considering doing this thread at some point, but coming up with ten favorite songs is a lot harder than coming up with ten albums D:

I'll give it a go though!

Also @ Jumpluff Une Annee Sans Lumiere is my least favorite song on Funeral! D:

10. Iron & Wine - Naked As We Came
[youtub]Nd-A-iiPoLg[/youtube]

I really love folk, and this song is just plain beautiful and probably my favorite folk song of all time.

9. Queen & David Bowie - Under Pressure
[youtub]a01QQZyl-_I[/youtube]

I am so fucking serious right now. Two artists that rank among my all-time favorites get together and right a gorgeous song, and it's just so good.

8. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps
[youtub]oIIxlgcuQRU[/youtube]

In my opinion, the greatest love song of all time. But I'm just sayin'.

7. Band of Horses - The Funeral
[youtub]cMFWFhTFohk[/youtube]

Something about this song is just so emotionally crushing. The vocals...so good.

6. Elliott Smith - A Fond Farewell
[youtub]nabO_UXb6MM[/youtube]

Oh, I'm sorry, this depressed dude just went ahead and wrote one of the greatest guitar riffs of all time and some of the greatest lyrics ever written and put them in the same song.

5. Arcade Fire - Rebellion (Lies)
[youtub]MQvZ4N1RfS8[/youtube]

Yeah, yeah, you all know this song.

4. Slowdive - Machine Gun
[youtub]FAPKM0RZ4as[/youtube]

Best shoegaze song of all time. js.

3. LCD Soundsystem - All My Friends
[youtub]jjT7a23A9CQ[/youtube]

What if I told you that there's a song that's 7.5 minutes long and only has one chord which never changes? Would your immediate thoughts be that the song would suck? Well, that's an incorrect thought.

2. Radiohead - Reckoner
[youtub]rOoCixFA8OI[/youtube]

Radiohead did a pretty damn good job on this one.

1. The National - Fake Empire
[youtub]KehwyWmXr3U[/youtube]

I try to come up with reasons why this isn't my favorite song of all-time. It's so simplistic. It's so fucking beautiful. It's just perfection.

Good idea for a thread, MC! I was strongly considering doing this thread at some point, but coming up with ten favorite songs is a lot harder than coming up with ten albums D:
Thanks Byrne! Making a top ten for just songs is indeed a lot harder; mostly because ten albums just hold a lot more volume than ten songs, so picking just ten songs is even harder. I do really enjoy seeing how varied everyone's musical tastes are!

I'll finish commenting later. Note that a lot of my favorite pieces of music (see: Dancing Mad) are instrumentals from video games and stuff, but I like a lot of "real" music too.

Billy Joel - Piano Man
[youtub]gxEPV4kolz0[/youtube]

Vader, we must someday meet up, get plastered, and sing this together at some sleazy, filthy karaoke bar. There has been a lot said about Piano Man and there's not much I can add. I do want to note that there was a version I enjoyed much more that used to be on YouTube, where Billy Joel had a slightly deeper voice. But oh well this is still a great song.

The Beatles - She Loves You
[youtub]T0YifXhm-Zc[/youtube]

Metallica - One
[youtub]WM8bTdBs-cw[/youtube]

Maximum the Hormone - Freeza Freeza
[youtub]0wlXJZrgv34[/youtube]

Fucking hilarious and not a bad song in its own right. Thank god the music video is back, because it's really just not the same experience without it.

Origa - Rise
[youtub]UJjscA9Zvcw[/youtube]

Killswitch Engage - Reject Yourself
[youtub]qrhIbX-uDjQ&feature=related[/youtube]

Serj Tankian - Beethoven's Cunt
[youtub]9FPm1aDLmWA[/youtube]

I'm really not sure how to describe this as anything other than a masterpiece. This, in my opinion, is easily Serj's best solo piece. It has rhythm and emotion, and the piano undertones reminiscent of Beethoven's work are beautiful. I'm not sure what, but this song definitely makes me feel each time I hear it.

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion
[youtub]if-UzXIQ5vw[/youtube]

Beautiful. There's just something about this song that reverbated with me, even when I still believed in God. I'm not sure how to describe it, but this song (especially when accompanied by the music video) captures the feeling of losing your faith, which is an experience that I think is impossible to describe to someone who still believes in something.

Avenged Sevenfold - Almost Easy
[youtub]Fi_GN1pHCVc[/youtube]

Green Day - Jesus of Suburbia
[youtub]JMcNzjzw63I[/youtube]

Great lyrics, great tunes. One of the best rock operas I've ever heard. I saw Green Day live in concert and this was their encore finale, and it was fucking amazing.

I kinda did this with the rule of no repeat artists, otherwise half this list would be the Smiths.

10. Zombie- The Cranberries
[youtub]6Ejga4kJUts[/youtube]
Definitely just something to tap your foot to, obviously the 4-chord-ness of the song is kinda annoying at first but its a really good jam and I like sounding ridiculous trying to sing it :D

9. Standing Outside a Broken Phonebooth With Money In My Hand- Primitive Radio Gods
[youtub]4XJxFAoiWSY[/youtube]
This is a really cool song with an interesting beat and powerful lyrics, I really like the singing in the chorus too.

8. Dare- Gorillaz
[youtub]uAOR6ib95kQ[/youtube]
This is just the catchiest shit ever. I can't help but at least bob my head when I hear it, or sing the "It's dare- aah!~" at the beginning.
Honorable Gorillaz mentions- 19-2000, Clint Eastwood

7. Puzzle- Round Table feat. Nino
[youtub]LrriNLdGQBs[/youtube]
yeah okay here comes the anime music- I'm sorry but I really like strings and brass sections, so of course this song has BOTH and its just really nice and sweet to listen to. I can't be mad after listening to it, I just can't.

6. Early Morning Wake Up Call- the Hives
[youtub]WOrsPb7IWmg[/youtube]
This is a cover of some crappy 80's song and it's just awesome. The Hives are one of my favorite bands, and this song has been my ringtone for years because of the distinctive style of the song and absurdly catchy opening riff. Not even after associating this song with waking up every morning have I stopped liking it.
Honorable Hives mentions: Die, All Right!, Hate to Say I Told You So

5. Ghost Town- Shiny Toy Guns
[youtub]xw722dGGvy4[/youtube]
I can assure you that these guys are not my normal style, but I heard this song on the radio one day and was kinda instantly hooked. Really cool song to jam out to.

4. Don't Say Lazy- K-on!
[youtub]35qg5BUl1hM[/youtube]
Another guilty pleasure, this song is the ED to a crappy anime but, maybe in part due to the fact that it's one of the first ones I watched, I REALLY think this song is much much better than any other song in the whole anime. If you ignore the japanese and moe it just sounds like any other kickass rock song.

3. Ghosts Under Rocks- Ra Ra Riot
[youtub]XSoodJfCtbU[/youtube]
Ra Ra Riot is a really cool band, kind of like pop-rock but with strings! Also they have a hot cellist ;)
Honorable Ra Ra Riot mentions: Boy, Dying is Fine

2. Spiralling- Keane
[youtub]SHjnUAHekyg[/youtube]
These guys are also a cool band but this song imo is just leaps and bounds ahead out of their other stuff. It just has this ridiculously catchy intro and I love everything about it.

1. How Soon is Now?- the Smiths
[youtub]HUMh8GQnDW8[/youtube]
Yeah, this is it. The first time I heard this song I just knew it would stick with me forever. The guitar is absurdly infectious, the lyrics, as with all the songs by the Smiths, are very personal, direct and powerful, and its just a sick song in general.
Honorable Smiths mentions: This Charming Man, Draize Train

i tend to not really notice individual tracks that i really like until i've listened to an album a LOT, but i'll see how this goes. i'll even try to put them in order.

1. agalloch - fire above, ice below
whenever this song plays, it just rips my heart out and leaves me drowning in an empty place. i have such a powerful emotional connection to this song it's quite unnerving. basically every part of this song is perfection, but the outro especially just destroys me. people that say metal is just screaming and noise should listen to this song and slap themselves.

2. isis - in fiction
this song has such a fantastic build-up to a wonderful climax, the emotion in it is amazing. songs like this are why isis are masters of the genre.

3. pink floyd - sheep
i'm all about long songs and prog and sheep shagging (because nzer obviously) and great outros, so it should be no surprise that this is my favourite pink floyd song.

4. interpol - leif erikson / stella was a diver and she was always down
i honestly have no idea which of the two i prefer, but both of them are so good. leif erikson manages to have a massive climax without actually doing a whole lot, but stella is just an all-round amazing song.

5. radiohead - there there (the boney king of nowhere)
hail to the thief is still their best album you (BAN ME PLEASE)s and this is the best song off that album (wolf at the door pushes it imo). it's a fantastic song and has a ton of groove for radiohead. i do not know if this song is better than exit music (for a film) or street spirit (fade out) but eh httt needs more love.

6. meshuggah - pravus
this song is exactly what you could want from meshuggah: relentless ferocity, riffs that could flatten mountains, and so much groove.

7. opeth - face of melinda
this song has grown on me a ridiculous amount over the past month. it has the nice soft section for half the song, and then that delicious riff comes in and the song just ascends. rip mikael's growls.

8. flight of the conchords - inner city pressure
flight of the conchords are so good because they are hilarious but at the same time the music is legitimately good, and i don't think a lot of comedy musicians can say that. this song in particular shows that off.

9. mastodon - the sparrow
the hunter is a very good album. black tongue kicks ass to start with, and then you have this casually perched at the end just chillin'. when mastodon do this kind of song it tends to be good, but i think they completely nailed it with the sparrow. in a word, it's hypnotic.

10. ulver - hymn i: of wolf and fear
if you listen to it you should know why it's so great.

can we use urls and not youtube embeds? opening this page just basically killed my computer

ps gengan are you sure you are male ???

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
EDIT: Ergh, this page makes my shockwave player crash due to all the embedded youtube clips... Can't we use hide tags or urls? Would hide tags even prevent this problem?

I love making/reading lists like these, I always end up consuming too much time listening to at least everyone's favourite though... Anyway, here's mine:
I couldn't decide the last two, and if I did I'd probably change my mind tomorrow so, here's my top 8. I'll post some honourable mentions at the bottom to make up for it.

#8 - Team the Best Team by Doomtree
Man, I love Doomtree. Their production is what really stands out and this song is no exception. The horns throughout just give the whole song an incredibly uplifting feel. Every verse is exceptional, but the final one is something else. I'm not exactly the best at describing rap music so... eh just listen from 3:16 onwards. Mike Mictlan kills it.

#7 - Slow Slow by Sound of Rum
Kate Tempest is my favourite rapper, period. Her lyrics, her flow, everything about her music is great. Add her rapping to a great guitarist and drummer and you get Sound of Rum. I don't know what it is about this song that I love so much, but everything about it is great. I love the simple guitar chords in the first verse, the bass riff in the hook, the drums in the second verse and the lyrics throughout.

#6 - Hoppípolla by Sigur Rós
Yeah, you all will have heard it, whether you know the name or not. This song is just incredible. It just describes every emotion at once, happiness, sadness, regret, nostalgia etc... It's just powerful enough to conjure up anything from inside you; it can make you laugh, it can make you cry. (Yes I realise that is just completely clichéd and soppy, but it's that good.) It starts off with one of the most beautifully simple piano riffs, and builds up throughout till you get the uplifting sound of horns, strings and percussion at the end. I have no idea what the lyrics mean, and have no intention of finding out. The music speaks so much to me, that I'd be afraid the lyrics wouldn't stand up to it.

#5 - Daylight by Aesop Rock
From a song in which the lyrics mean nothing to me, to a song in which the lyrics are almost everything. Aesop Rock is probably my favourite lyricist of all time. The way he uses language is something else. I've spent a good few hours reading the lyrics to this song and trying to fathom the meaning. The hook is simple but so good; "All I ever wanted was to pick apart the day, put the pieces back together my way," is one of my all-time favourite lines. It's not all about the lyrics though, Blockhead's production is also a great - the repeating bass riff is just beautiful and the flute is a great addition to the song.

#4 - Tranquilize by The Killers featuring Lou Reed
Not the most typical song from the Killers, but this song is certainly my favourite from them. Brandon Flowers does very well in this song, but it's Lou Reed's rich deep voice that makes it, especially in outro. I love the bridge between the verse and the chorus in which the chaotic semi-quavers on the strings lead up to some beautiful harmonies in the chorus. The way the instruments fit in with each other just appeals greatly to my taste in music

#3 - Feel Good Inc. by Gorillaz featuring De La Soul
This has everything I love in a good song. It starts with a really catchy bass riff (I love catchy bass riffs) and leads onto an acoustic guitar sounding verse, which is great, and then brings the bass riff back in for some great rap verses from De La Soul. There's not much else I can say about it, except I could listen to it on repeat for quite some time.

#2 - For the Widows in Paradise, For the Fatherless in Ypsilanti by Sufjan Stevens
Sufjan Stevens is quite possibly my favourite artist of all time, yet this seems to be an unusual song for me to love from him. Normally, I love Sufjan for using a wide range of instruments and fitting them together perfectly; but this is a really simple song around 4 chords and only contains him, a banjo, a trumpet and another vocalist. Yet the simplicity is perfect. The banjo and trumpet are 2 of my favourite instruments and I just love the way they sound together. Sufjan's voice is also quite soft which contrasts to the reasonably metallic sound of the banjo. I can't say a lot else about this song except the melody is just beautiful and moving.

#1 - Postcards from Italy by Beirut
Now for my all-time favourite. This song starts of with an eastern European sounding chord progression from a ukulele, which is very typically Beirut. After the verse, the trumpets come in, playing in simple harmonies, another typically Beirut thing. It's around 2 minutes in that makes this song for me though. The whole feel of the song changes and a beautiful horn melody is accompanied by a new chord progression on the ukulele, before Zach Condon sings a very nostalgic, almost regretful feeling verse. The song then ends with a final minute or so of more beautiful harmonies on the brass over the same chord progression.

2080 - Yeasayer
Switching Off - Elbow
Feeling Inside - Paranoid Castle
Intervention - Arcade Fire
Staring at the Sun - TV on the Radio
Skinny Love - Bon Iver
Boy With a Coin -Iron and Wine
Slow Hands - Interpol
Set the Fire to the Third Bar - Snow Patrol
Tundra/Desert - Modest Mouse
Slow Down Gandhi - Sage Francis

Thank you if you took the time to read this/listen to any of the songs... sorry if I waffled on a bit...

Now it's time to listen to everybody else's!

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
If you want to check out one of the youtub links cp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
followed by the sequence in the youtub /youtube tags into your browser.

You probably didnt need me to tell you this, but here it is anyway for completeness.

So yeah why not(Warning: I'm not very discriptive when talking about music)

10):Attack/Hypnotize/System of a Down
I love the intense flow it has, going from very rapid to mellow in a second.

9):Blisters and Coffee/Albatross/Classic Crime
This song is pretty good to me, I use it for when I need more focus, like working out, or writing.

8):Hanging On By A Thread/Hanging On By A Thread/The Letter Black
This song I enjoy mostly for the lyrics, I like most songs like this.

7):The Pros and Cons of Breathing/Take This To Your Grave/Fall out boy
One of the songs that I'll sing to myself when i'm bored and need to waste some time

6):She Is Love/Losing Sleep/Parachute
I listen to this when I'm feeling a bit down, like with heavy thoughts

5):Eurobeat Brony-Discord the Living Tombstone's Remix/Unknown(I don't know)/The Living Tombstone
This is one of my "default" songs that I'll automatically go to for when I need music going

4):American Idiot/American Idiot/Green Day
One of my favorites songs, i've listened to it since it first came out, and loved it since

3):You Should Have Killed Me When You Had The Chance/And Their Name Was Treason/A Day To Remember
This song is amazing, it helps me when I'm writing, I don't know why but it does

2):Move Along/Move Along/All American Rejects
This has been one of my top songs ever since it came out, it has always been good, and always will be. It was also the first song the I learned all of the lyrics to.

And my number one song

1):Monument/For Those who Have Heart/A Day To Remember
I love this song, it is the number one song I'll put on for pretty much everything, from playing Skyrim, to working out, to just chilling.

Its hard to narrow down 10. I always feel like I forgot a song but then realize that even if I did forget a song it wouldn't have space on the list.

14. Written in the Stars ~ Eric Turner and Tinie Tempah
I can't say its the best rap I've heard, and the chorus repeating twice at the ending with an extremely short bridge does irk me, but its very catchy.

13. Never Be What You Want ~ We Are In the Crowd
Awesome song from band no one seems to have heard of. I heard them because they are on the same label as bands like Gym Class Heroes, Fun, and A Rocket to the Moon (referenced later in the list), and have quickly grown to love their style of music.

12. Beast Mode ~ B.o.B.
He just keeps going and going. I love B.o.B.'s voice, and this is basically one long verse for a mixtape. I love it.

11. Love the Way You Lie ~ Eminem and Rihanna
I actually like the new Eminem better than the old one. This list wouldn't be complete without an Eminem song though, and it was a coin flip between this and the next song.

10. Brand New Day ~ Ryan Star
I heard the song through the TV show Lie to Me, and though it was pretty good. Looking it up I found out it was awesome, along with quite a few of Ryan Star's songs.

9. Something to Believe in ~ Parachute
They preformed this song live at the Big 12 championship game a few years ago when that still existed. They also gave away free MP3s of it for entering some contest, which I saw on ESPN and downloaded. Great idea. This is a song which, if Lady Gaga had made instead of some nobody, it would have topped the charts for a year.

8. Maybe ~ Sick Puppies
No story being this. Heard it on the radio and loved it.

7. Its Not My Time ~ Three Doors Down
Same as above. Three Doors Down is one of my favorite bands now.

6. Check Yes Juliet ~ We the Kings
I have one problem with We the Kings, and that is all their there songs sound the same, to some extent. That being said, this is the best of them.

5. Both of Us ~ B.o.B. Feat. Taylor Swift
Not that I'd want to be connected with Gengan in any way. B.o.B. is my favorite rapper. He may not be the best rapper, per se, but he connects pop, rap, and R&B in a way which is extremely unique and is pretty awesome.

4. Fall For You ~ Secondhand Serenade
Other than the fact that several people have ruined it be quoting it on their facebook pictures, its a great song.

3. Remember the Name ~ Fort Minor
Remember this awesome tricks video which went viral? The music with it was pretty awesome too. And I can play it on the violin.

2. Same Direction ~ Hoobastank
(The video is a sequel to "the reason" so if it doesn't make sense, and you actually care, watch that one first) Same Direction is the first song I really listened to outside of my cartoons. I remember getting my gamecube back in '05 and popping in madden '05. This was my favorite song on the soundtrack, and still is one of my favorites ever. The soundtrack was basically Rock and Hip-Hop, so I'm pretty sure it pushed me into liking the music that I do. This is the song I compare all other rock songs too, and what I keep as the standard. Its probably not as appealing to everyone else, but I still love it.

1. Take me as I am (Acoustic) ~ Seven Wiser
The non-acoustic version was on MLB live '04, another one of the first games I got. I liked it and downloaded it, but never really checked back on the band until I couple years ago. They had never been too successful, being cut from their record label after their second album. I downloaded their new album and this song really stood out. Amazing song. Listen to it.

Keeping in with the rule of one artist only, here are my top ten favorite songs in no particular order:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLrnkK2YEcE10. Frontier Psychiatrist - The Avalanches
I love this song. Its completely insane, sporadic, all over the place. It reminds me of an insane person's mind, and I love it.

9. Braille - Regina Spektor
Regina has such a stunning voice and I adore so many of her songs that I found it difficult to choose one. I really like this one because it's a whole story and its bittersweet in an interesting way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_holzIquMxg
8. I'll Make A Man Out Of You - Mulan
Mulan is one of my favorite Disney movies. This is hands down my favorite Disney song. Its super fun and pretty motivational

7. Hallelujah - Canadian Tenors
This was a killer. Hallelujah is definitely my favorite song, but I love so many versions of it (I added one more that I really liked in the Honorable Mentions, but I had to restrain myself). I chose this one because their voices are stunning and it used to hit me really hard.

6. Come What May - Moulin Rouge
Moulin Rouge is one of the only movies that I really like, cheesy as it may be. Come What May is just so epic and beautiful. Its a very powerful song.

5. Mima'amakim - Idan Raichel
I only put one Hebrew song in the top ten. Mima'amakim is such a gorgeous, mellow song. Really peaceful.

4. If I'm James Dean, You're Audrey Hepburn - Sleeping With Sirens
This was the first song I listened to by Sleeping With Sirens. Kellin Quinn has the most fantastic vocal range I've ever heard.

3. Unravel - Bjork
I've recently discovered Bjork thanks to myzozoa, and this is hands down my favorite song by her. Its creepy in a quirky way and it hits me right.

2. Scarborough Fair/Canticle - Simon and Garfunkel
I love Simon and Garfunkel, and I love this song. Its stunning, and I love all the folklore behind it.

1. Street Violin - Josh Vietti
The violin is hands down my favorite instrument, and I love how he shows the versatility of it. And its super catchy ;)

gonna make my ten fav song list now and then do a "one per band" list when im not drunk (youll see why)

10. One Foot On The Gas, One Foot In The Grave - Streetlight Manifesto
9. Day In, Day Out - Catch 22
8. A Moment Of Silence - Streetlight Manifesto
7. Blonde Lead The Blind - Streetlight Manifesto
6. Keasbey Nights - Catch 22
5. Point/CounterPoint - Streetlight Manifesto
4. On & On & On - Catch 22
3. Walking Away - Catch 22
2. This One Goes Out To... - Streetlight Manifesto
1. Failing, Flailing - Streetlight Manifesto

what can I say

You don't have the right to ask this until you have an avatar that isn't MLP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)