Media Yu-Gi-Oh discussion

This thread is about anything pertaining to Yugioh. Discuss tournaments, deck types, and certain cards. You can post your decks here for advice, discuss trades you made, discuss the banlist, and discuss strategies.

We have an IRC channel called #yugioh, and we play on the simulator Dueling Network. Dueling Network requires no downloads, and can be used here http://www.duelingnetwork.com/.

RULINGS
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Card_Rulings

That has links to everything you'll ever need to know. In addition, if you have a question about card X vs card Y, just google "x vs. y rulings" and you'll find an answer most of the time!

INFORMATION

Shriek TCG - for new release information

Konami Blog - for tournament coverage

Konami Articles - solid articles

Yugioh Events - list of new events/regionals/faq

A list of people on Smogon's DN names. Let me know if you want to be added to this list.
Dr. Eyepatch - Speedwagon
Disposable Puppets - Disposable Puppets
JebusMcAzn - JebuzMcAzn
Alphaspade - Alphaspade20
Cubed - Cubed
Megan Fox - 'I'vemetMeganFox
reyscarface - reyscarface
J-man - TheJman
Whinesilencer! - Max
Bluecaptain - Analog
Ninja 13 - Ninja#13
Z-rex - Zed lep
Blarajan - Blarajan
pimpgangster - sayoonarabob
sheep - quality

Last edited:
i've been playing yugioh for way too long. like, 9 years i think? it's pretty much in my blood at this point. i've topped canadian nationals twice and i fancy myself a pretty good duelist!

i don't really enjoy the direction the game is going, and i haven't for a very long time. the game has so many egregious flaws that konami obviously cares little about remedying. oh well, i'm still going to ycs toronto in a month, first event of the new list is always kinda cool i guess.

glen i've been meaning to ask how you did at the wcq...

i remember seeing your name in one of the "round x standings" things but nothing besides that...

sams are the most average deck imaginable. i can't imagine why any non-cheating good player would ever use them. they are not malleable enough to let skill shine through in the way that decks like plants and whatever are. not to say such a trait is a deal-breaker in and of itself; i ran anti-meta for wcqs because, despite my build and the deck in general being incredibly linear, it gave me an edge that i dont think sams have. the only edge sams have is gateway, everything else is average average average.

i almost always run decks i built myself. this is my latest one:

3 x mist valley falcon
2 x card trooper
2 x dragunity darkspear
1 x summoner monk
1 x d.d. crow
1 x maxx "c"
1 x sacred crane
1 x blackwing - zephyros the elite
1 x neo spacian grand mole
1 x mist valley soldier
1 x sangan

3 x pot of duality
2 x mystical space typhoon
1 x giant trunade
1 x dark hole
1 x monster reborn
1 x mind control

3 x fiendish chain
3 x limit reverse
2 x safe zone
2 x solemn warning
2 x icarus attack
1 x solemn judgment
1 x call of the haunted
1 x torrential tribute
1 x mirror force

built it myself and its really, really cool. im at least 50/50 with every top deck (which is pretty much the best you can hope for with yugioh). i had a preliminary build before wcqs but the deck really needs xyzs to be competitive so i didnt run it.

deck is just falcon bouncing limit and chain and safe zone. target their guy with safe zone, swing and bounce it, their monster dies, you get safe zone back. the main combo is limit reverse on dragunity darkspear, tribute it for falcon, falcon swing bounce limit. infinite loop. its really fragile in theory but it works wonders. you also have answers to every top deck via infinitely looping crow/maxx c. limit reverse one of them, falcon swing bounce it back to hand, next turn falcon swing bounce the limit, do it over again. grand mole is just there for shi en, its pretty terrible vs like everything else but i dont have enough sam answers so i think im keeping it. this is the first deck ever im not using book in mainly because i found it just a worse version of fiendish chain, and chain is always bouncing back to hand. mirror force is pretty bad though, prolly cutting it.

tomorrow im gonna test a build with triple tour guide (bought em when they were 50 lol, feels good man) due to the new ruling on how sangan works with xyzs. tour guide for sangan, leviathan, remove sangan, search crow/maxx c, set limit, enjoy. leviair also has cheeky combos with your own crow and is in general a broken card (not to mention it solves the main problem with the deck which is falcon getting d prisoned or whatever).

the weird thing about the deck is that it never opens good. like, youll never draw a hand of 6 and think 'ok i am going to win this game'. it always starts off extremely slow but you'll just get one decisive turn mid-game and start getting like +2 every turn from then on and they aren't able to recover. fiendish chain bounce lets you control the game completely. also youre running fucking sacred crane.

edit: as for how i did at the wcq, i didnt even make day 2 sadly. i ran stun with double necrovalley triple commandant double royal tribute (only drew tribute twice all day, though one of the times i had a banisher of the radiance out which felt good) for the random auto-win turn 1. didnt do as well as i hoped. lost once to sams, guy had gateway g2 and g3. lost a second time to water synchro (which imo was the best deck g1, big trouble with maxx c and dfissure though) due to general bad draws, and lost round 9 to fairies (which is supposed to be a fantastic matchup). i misplayed g3 though setting a bluff smashing ground and he mst'd my valley and dropped hyperion and popped it, then eventually lost in time. so my fault there.

I used to play quite a lot of Yu-Gi-Oh when I was a kid - not competitive or anything, just with friends. Our main tactic was to just pick cards with lots of attack points, and besides the most basic rules (summoning and turn progression and such) we knew about nothing.

Me and my friends are from The Netherlands and since the cards were in English we had no idea what effects all cards had, so we just made things up. It was great fun :)

My favourite card is still the Chaos Command Magician, since he looks cool, haha. Never liked the regular Dark Magician, he was stupid IMO :)

I really hate the shit out of the current meta. Therefore, anti-meta deck I'm currently running.

Monsters
x3 Malefic Stardust Dragon
x3 Malefic Cyber End Dragon
x3 Fusilier Dragon
x2 Ancient Gear Gadjiltron Dragon
x2 Exiled Force
x1 Morphing Jar

Spells
x2 Mystical Space Typhoon
x2 Necrovalley
x3 Geartown
x3 Terraforming
x1 Allure of Darkness
x2 Upstart Goblin
x1 Dark Hole

Traps
x3 Skill Drain
x2 Bottomless Trap Hole
x1 Mirror Force
x2 Dark Bribe
x1 Solemn Judgement
x1 Eradicator Epidemic Virus
x1 Zing Zhen Hu

Extra
x3 Stardust Dragon
x3 Cyber End Dragon
x2 Chimeratech Fortress Dragon

Skill Drain is the real star. When it's on the field my Malefics just fuck shit up.

Just a little question do all players, do you actually have all cards yourself, or are most tournaments virtual? If you have to buy the actual cards, I can imagine playing Yu-Gi-Oh is quite an expensive hobby.

If you go out and buy reprints, then you could make an adequate deck for under 100 bucks.

Some staples of the game are criminally overpriced though. Cards like Solemn warning or Formula Synchron will cost you some hefty cash for a card.

I used to play quite a lot of Yu-Gi-Oh when I was a kid - not competitive or anything, just with friends. Our main tactic was to just pick cards with lots of attack points, and besides the most basic rules (summoning and turn progression and such) we knew about nothing.

Me and my friends are from The Netherlands and since the cards were in English we had no idea what effects all cards had, so we just made things up. It was great fun :)

My favourite card is still the Chaos Command Magician, since he looks cool, haha. Never liked the regular Dark Magician, he was stupid IMO :)
That is what the game is all about, having fun. ^_^

I really hate the shit out of the current meta. Therefore, anti-meta deck I'm currently running.

Monsters
x3 Fusilier Dragon
x2 Exiled Force
x1 Morphing Jar

Spells
x2 Necrovalley
x3 Geartown
x3 Terraforming
x1 Allure of Darkness
x2 Upstart Goblin
x1 Dark Hole

Traps
x3 Skill Drain
x2 Bottomless Trap Hole
x1 Mirror Force
x2 Dark Bribe
x1 Solemn Judgement
x1 Zing Zhen Hu

Extra
x3 Stardust Dragon
x3 Cyber End Dragon

Skill Drain is the real star. When it's on the field my Malefics just fuck shit up.
My friend runs something very similar to this at locals. Reborn Tengu, Spore, and Barbaros work well too if you want to try them. The deck always seems to beat me, so I must say Skill Drain is a major pain in the ass.

Oh, and Upstarts are good but Book of Moon and Torrential Tribute are better support for a deck like this in my honest opinion. The defense and removal are too hard to ignore, especially with the synchro halting ability of Book of Moon, and the big nuke in Torrential.

They still slow your opponent down, so it gives you time to stabilize your hand and make your key combos. I also think giving your opponent 1000 is rather disheartining and it definitly cannot replace Pot of Duality since it gets you get to choose one out of 3. Since you don't have Duality, just focus on making your deck more flexible with Book of Moon and Torrential.

Just a little question do all players, do you actually have all cards yourself, or are most tournaments virtual? If you have to buy the actual cards, I can imagine playing Yu-Gi-Oh is quite an expensive hobby.
Oh, most people here play virtual. I however and Glen play irl though, and buy the cards. :)

My friend runs something very similar to this at locals. Reborn Tengu, Spore, and Barbaros work well too if you want to try them. The deck always seems to beat me, so I must say Skill Drain is a major pain in the ass.

Oh, and Upstarts are good but Book of Moon and Torrential Tribute are better support for a deck like this in my honest opinion. The defense and removal are too hard to ignore, especially with the synchro halting ability of Book of Moon, and the big nuke in Torrential.

They still slow your opponent down, so it gives you time to stabilize your hand and make your key combos. I also think giving your opponent 1000 is rather disheartining and it definitly cannot replace Pot of Duality.
I run Upstarts because it's simply not an option to run Duality. My deck heavily relies on Special Summons and Duality will severely slow me down. With the attack power Malefics have, 1000 here and there isn't particularly bothersome. I don't find Book of Moon to be necessary at all. Torrential Tribute is an interesting option but the deck really has no need for it. Most of the time I'll have more monsters than my opponent out on the field, and I've got plenty of cards in the deck that already prevent Synchro heavy decks from getting much done.

I run Upstarts because it's simply not an option to run Duality. My deck heavily relies on Special Summons and Duality will severely slow me down. With the attack power Malefics have, 1000 here and there isn't particularly bothersome. I don't find Book of Moon to be necessary at all. Torrential Tribute is an interesting option but the deck really has no need for it. Most of the time I'll have more monsters than my opponent out on the field, and I've got plenty of cards in the deck that already prevent Synchro heavy decks from getting much done.
Compared to other decks which run Duality, you are looking really solid. X-Saber for example special summons alot more than your deck, and it is usually seen as a 2-3 of card. Dragunity is another example where people run at least one Pot of Duality, and they can synchro every turn once set up. Blackwings? Yes, them too.

Pot of Duality can be used turn one, and there will be turns where you will not special summon. The consistency is hard to ignore, and running a playset gets you 9 cards deep into your deck and smooths your draws out. If you have Pot of Duality, I would run them if I were you. If not, I guess you know the deck better than me.

I would go as far to say Pot of Duality is playable in every deck, but that is my bias and personal preference on the card. The Japanese have been running it in Samurai which is a testament to how powerful the card can be. Fair enough on Torrential and Book of Moon, but I would at least sidedeck Torrential Tribute for those faster decks.

I hope I helped a bit. I also agree that this format is pretty bad.

I run Karakuris at the moment, they're pretty badass. Sooo much draw power and swarming.
I used to run frogs but then Substitoad was forbidden... saddens me quite a bit. I didn't think it was so broken, but some other deck builds found some way to abuse it apparently.

I run Karakuris at the moment, they're pretty badass. Sooo much draw power and swarming.
I used to run frogs but then Substitoad was forbidden... saddens me quite a bit. I didn't think it was so broken, but some other deck builds found some way to abuse it apparently.
Karukuri is pretty underrated and they have huge OTK potential. I do not have much experience with them, so I do not understand why they haven't had much attention lately.

Karukuri is pretty underrated and they have huge OTK potential. I do not have much experience with them, so I do not understand why they haven't had much attention lately.
Other than the OTK, there isn't much else to do with the deck. It's satisfying to run through your deck first or second turn, but without key pieces, you are pretty much stuck while your opponent sets up.

With that in mind, the deck has few responses to big threats, a low spell/trap count that a majority of which tie in with increasing the speed of the deck rather than acting as crucial utility.

I stopped playing when LSS came out. I dunno, the game just got less interesting. Deck building basically became:
Warning? Check
Judgement? Check
BTHx2? Check
Trunade? Check
Reborn? Check
D-hole? Check
Pretty soon, half the deck was built before any creativity was put into it.
That's not even considering the extra deck, which was just ridiculous, both in price and sameness.

I have to admit, Falcon Control was one of my more favorite of underrated decks. My friend ran it, and it pissed a lot of people off.
Gusta FTK was a deck I had my eye on before giving up, alongside that one Jinzo-Karakuri-Librarian deck people were making.

If you have any ruling questions, feel free to ask. Yeah, I was one of those guys...

pookar

Banned deucer.
i used to play a long time ago, stopped, then "started" again last year in college when i found out my friend from HS was playing cards on campus. it was pretty fun, but all the good dudes used current shit like synchros and sams and everything fancy like that. my newest card in any deck i used was ghost knight of jackal lol so imagine how slow my decks were compared to theirs. this guy built me a dragon exodia deck but it was really hit or miss lol

I wanted to play for a little while, but then I realized my ten year old dragon deck, although fun, cannot match the new "tuner" cards they have nowadays. You can summon like three bloody guys on the first turn.

(and plus i don't want to buy new cards.)

I serioulsy hate tuners, i just don't like those new kind of monsteres where if you get the right card (i'm looking at you stupid bomb monter), you start spamming shyncros all day

I've been pleaying yugioh since my teens, and i actually had some awesome friends who helped me create my first deck (Crystal Beasts), which is actually my favorite one, i've loved them since i saw the artwork in them, so beautiful, they are seriously underrated, many people really laugh at you when they saw them, but after they see all their field banished y crystal abundance it's all worth it, that and Ruby Caruncle & Ametist Cat (my favorite cards) is the reason i enjoy playing, i really don't care if i lose, just to have a nice time

edit: as for how i did at the wcq, i didnt even make day 2 sadly. i ran stun with double necrovalley triple commandant double royal tribute (only drew tribute twice all day, though one of the times i had a banisher of the radiance out which felt good) for the random auto-win turn 1. didnt do as well as i hoped. lost once to sams, guy had gateway g2 and g3. lost a second time to water synchro (which imo was the best deck g1, big trouble with maxx c and dfissure though) due to general bad draws, and lost round 9 to fairies (which is supposed to be a fantastic matchup). i misplayed g3 though setting a bluff smashing ground and he mst'd my valley and dropped hyperion and popped it, then eventually lost in time. so my fault there.
:( too bad

i think the falcon control deck is really cool, and decks like that can really catch people off guard

anyway i'm thinking of whipping up my banlist thing really soon, though i can't decide yet whether i want to make a banlist "prediction" or a "hopes for the banlist" type thing

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I played from basically LOB till chaos, took a hiatus, came back right after cat synchro was nerfed (sep 09 iirc) played for like a year then left again. It was fun getting back into it but I had to learn so much. I kinda still miss the game but it is too expensive for me to play competitively irl. I might try to get back into it using simulators but I still would have to read up.

I have played plants for the last year and used them with a reasonable amount of success. I am selling them as it seems like they are going to get hit hard with the new ban list, just my prediction, so if you are interested Pm me haha. Other than that I have been playing since metal raiders, not competitively of course. I started playing in tournaments when Perfect circle was the best deck, all the way through Tele-DAD and Lighsworn. I played gadgets during DAD format and they worked out pretty well, but obviously nothing can compete with Tele-DAD. After that I started looking into Stun, with doom caliber and thunder king, but since we didn't actually have easy to find prints of those cards I gave up. during Cold Wave/Rescue cat format I played Caliber Cat and Flamvells, that was the most fun I have ever had playing this game. I took Glads to 2010 nationals and scrubbed out because of all of the X-Sabers which were not a great match-up for me, but Infernitys and Frog FTK were fine; but I didn't face a single one, of course. I plan to play Agents or X-sabers after the Pot of Duality/Krystia reprint, so we will see were that goes.

Monsters
x3 Fusilier Dragon
x2 Exiled Force
x1 Morphing Jar

Spells
x2 Necrovalley
x3 Geartown
x3 Terraforming
x1 Allure of Darkness
x2 Upstart Goblin
x1 Dark Hole

Traps
x3 Skill Drain
x2 Bottomless Trap Hole
x1 Mirror Force
x2 Dark Bribe
x1 Solemn Judgement
x1 Zing Zhen Hu

Extra
x3 Stardust Dragon
x3 Cyber End Dragon

I used to run a deck similar to this, how come there's no Barbaros love?? I know he's not a target for EEV like Fusilier can but he's better in pretty much every other way, and he's also a target for Trade-In (which is better than Allure in this deck IMO). You already have Malefic stardust and Ancient Gear (who is dead in the hand) who are targets for it and I found 3 trade-in speeds up the deck a whole lot.

Another card which can work great here is Meklord Emperor Wisel, who is S.summoned if a card is destroyed by a card effect (such as if they get rid of your field spell). He also bosses synchros (I always had trouble against synchro spam decks.....), counters nukes and traps, and has an amazing ability to negate spells.

Geartown is good for Gadjilitron but I didn't like having 3 because if it doesn't get destroyed it doesn't do much (unlike necrovalley), I run 1 malefic world because I just didn't seem to draw my malefics sometimes... Gravekeepers Commandant lets you search out necrovalley and can be used for defence on the field if you need so that could be a decent choice too.

And yeah Skill drain screws up so many decks, I just wish it would let you get 2 malefics out at a time....

Myself I'm learning to play Cloudian Synchro Spam. Since the T.G. cards (mainly Librarian) got involved, synchro spamming has been great, some of these lvl 1 monsters (thinking Treeborn Frog, Fishborg blaster etc) are so abusable!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)