SM Doubles OU ZyGarde TailRoom

First post in these forums, nice to meet all of you :3

Now, a while ago I got interested in doubles, but since I'm not a fan of the current vgc format I opted for smogon doubles. It was a lot of fun and just earlier today I managed to reach top 50 in ladder, and so I wanted to share my team and maybe ask for some tips since honestly I'm still far from an expert in the format.

Now, without further ado...

Zygarde @ Misty Seed
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 244 HP / 164 Atk / 100 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 2 Spe
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Coil
- Protect

The star of the team, originally I was using a standard CB set, but while it worked well enough it felt limited in a bunch of ways that made me feel like it wouldn't work once I sarted facing better opponents: way too often an enemy would be able to resist his attack to outspeed and kill him next turn since he could't use extremespeed and wide guard basically killed the team, the set also had more speed than fini, which made using nature's madness unpractical. Overall this set gels really weel with the rest of the team and can easily sweep a whole team if left unchecked.

A -speed nature with 2 ivs reaches 177, which is just enough to outspeed thundurus and the base 110 mons under tailwind while being as slow as possible under trick room; honestly though I don't know if it does anything useful compared to having just enough speed to go after fini.

Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SpD / 0 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Icy Wind
- Heal Pulse
- Protect
- Nature's Madness

If Zygarde is the star then she's the lynchpin of the team, she pairs up incredibly well with him as she softens up his targets with nature madness, provides a third tool for speed control with icy wind (that also hurts a lot the ever annoying lando-T), drastically improves his longevity with heal pulse, protects him from status and removes psychic terrain so that him and Incineroar can use their priorities. I don't feel that the lack of an offensive stab has been too crippling, meanwhile protect is always great to have.

Right now I'm actually using 16 Spe evs over 16 SpD to outpeed kyurem-B post icy wind, but this is the spread I used to reach top 50

Gardevoir (F) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 248 HP / 142 Def / 118 SpA
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Protect
- Trick Room

With her stupidly powerful hyper voice she acts as a second zygarde that doesn't require as much setup and isn't bothered by intimidate, benefitting from the partnership with fini almost as much as he does; not only that though: being the "Room" in TailRoom she's extremely important both for removing opposing trick room and for turning around matches against opposing tailwind teams.

Genesect @ Assault Vest
Ability: Download
EVs: 192 Atk / 92 SpA / 224 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

The team member I'm most uncertain about, he kills Landorus, Diancie and hurts Tyranitar a lot, it's also a great pivot that helps bring zygarde and gardevoir in the opportune times, however it often feels a bit too slow, frail or weak; idk if he'd work better with a different item, a scarf maybe?

Him+Incineroar is my usual lead vs non trick room teams, they cover up each other's weakness rather well and can reposition with u-turn

Zapdos @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Static
EVs: 244 HP / 80 Def / 64 SpA / 56 SpD / 64 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Whirlwind
- Tailwind

Not much to say here, it sets tailwind, takes hits pretty well and hits hard; electric stab is particularly useful vs charizard-Y and opposing fini.

Whirlwind is mostly for Kommo-o, who's otherwise a serious issue for the team, but maybe it could be changed for defog or protect, idk.

Incineroar (F) @ Figy Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Atk / 20 Def / 116 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- U-turn

I don't think I have to explain what this mon does, do I? Let's just say I was missing both an intimidate and a fake out user, and she fits both roles while also being extra pivot and a really hard hitting physical attacker that works well under trick room

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)