A mild Smogon sociopolitical experiment (ignore the op do the compass instead)

According to the quiz, which typology group best suits you?

• Total voters
Are there any actual good political tests on the internet? The best I have seen is the one site from the 2012 election that had people like Jill Stein as people you might agree with. (who BTW I do not support, I like drone strikes)

Any quiz that changes your political affiliation based on your income can not be considered valid in any way
you shouldn't be letting a quiz like this change your affiliation anyways. just because i found my results to be accurate does not mean i believe this quiz is fair, but we have had plenty of threads in the past where you take a quiz to determine a whole bunch of shit, like whether or not you have aspergers, cancer, how much of an introvert you are, etc. taking quizzes like this to heart is just like putting "chest pain" into webmd. your results are not likely to be 100% accurate.

now while i don't think you're taking it to heart, i just think its dumb that everyone is hating on it. you took the time to take the quiz, so yes you have the right to point out it's faults, but when everyone is saying the same thing or complaining it just shits on the op. i usually don't defend stuff like either, but right now i find half of these posts really annoying.

a good thing about this quiz is that, even though the questions are awkwardly and often in a way that is beyond facile phrased between extremes (it does tell you to pick the one you think is more accurate though), it's short and people should know all of the issues (or nearly all), even if they are apathetic towards them. other, more comprehensive political tests are time-consuming and often include questions and issues people don't understand or consider relevant, and people always complain about that (and still complain about the results).

it's worth noting that i thought the abc vote compass for this australian federal election was a pretty good rudimentary quiz for the disengaged to find candidates who may share their views. (australian, obviously...)

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I haven't read this entire thread, but what I have read seems pretty close to how I felt. While my results were pretty accurate, the responses were kind of bad. There weren't very many questions where I felt entirely comfortable clicking either answer, such as:

This is just one example, but I feel as though both of these factors are nearly equal in importance. /shrug

remlabmez

@dacopboss
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
got solid liberal, which seems to be the majority on here and the website where the quiz was taken. expected this to be my result so shrug

Seeing as you're clearly in the minority here, what is the point in saying that? After all, the majority always wins. Always.

Give me 5 good reasons why conservatism is a good political stance, ok?

Oh wait you can't. That's because it's not.
Yes, because I said I was a conservative. Oh wait...
Liberals are mostly youngsters who don't know squat about politics and are making American's lazy, entitled, and too PC. At least conservatives base their politics on their experience, liberals are just ridding a wave. There are people all over America and surely ITT who don't know that Obama is the worst modern president of America.

Yes, because I said I was a conservative. Oh wait...
Liberals are mostly youngsters who don't know squat about politics and are making American's lazy, entitled, and too PC. At least conservatives base their politics on their experience, liberals are just ridding a wave. There are people all over America and surely ITT who don't know that Obama is the worst modern president of America.
Well if you're not conservative then what are you? A commie? Move to China. A fascist? Build a time machine. Apolitical? What you doing here?

Conservatives are older because conservatism is about traditions. Doesn't mean it's right. It was once traditional for wealthy white people to trade black people as slaves. If you look throughout history over a very long period (hundred of years here) you'll see a massive shift from right to left, so eventually conservatism as we know it will die out. Hallelujah. Conservatism is also about making the rich richer and increasing social inequality, as well as being anti-gay (to an extent) and pro-religion (governments should not use imaginary sky-friends and the likes anywhere in their manifestos. Be religious all you want on a personal level, but never at the top). All of which makes no sense at all in this day an age... Especially so given the hardships faced by americans on the breadline. Liberals are just riding a wave eh? Pretty long wave don't you think cough democrats oldest political party in the world cough. Typical of americans, you are incredibly self-centred. You think obama's crap because of all america's debt and unemployment and inflation and poverty and so forth. Explain to me how at least one of them would be better without making at least one equally worse under a conservative, republican government. You haven't factored in the worst global recession ever, meaning trade is automatically down and people save instead of spend.

Heck I'm not even old enough to vote and I'm English and it looks like I know more about american politics than you.

And I'd like to see a better comeback than that, ta ta.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Lets just get off topic here shall we? I thought this thread was about the quiz and not what political affiliation is better (and who could run America better, which for some reason is what these threads devolve into). Also I think the quiz is balls and paints everything black and white, which isn't how the world really is...

Well if you're not conservative then what are you? A commie? Move to China. A fascist? Build a time machine. Apolitical? What you doing here?

Conservatives are older because conservatism is about traditions. Doesn't mean it's right. It was once traditional for wealthy white people to trade black people as slaves. If you look throughout history over a very long period (hundred of years here) you'll see a massive shift from right to left, so eventually conservatism as we know it will die out. Hallelujah. Conservatism is also about making the rich richer and increasing social inequality, as well as being anti-gay (to an extent) and pro-religion (governments should not use imaginary sky-friends and the likes anywhere in their manifestos. Be religious all you want on a personal level, but never at the top). All of which makes no sense at all in this day an age... Especially so given the hardships faced by americans on the breadline. Liberals are just riding a wave eh? Pretty long wave don't you think cough democrats oldest political party in the world cough. Typical of americans, you are incredibly self-centred. You think obama's crap because of all america's debt and unemployment and inflation and poverty and so forth. Explain to me how at least one of them would be better without making at least one equally worse under a conservative, republican government. You haven't factored in the worst global recession ever, meaning trade is automatically down and people save instead of spend.

Heck I'm not even old enough to vote and I'm English and it looks like I know more about american politics than you.

And I'd like to see a better comeback than that, ta ta.
1) Modern conservatism has nothing to do with slaves, excellent strawman though.
2) Democraps, "the oldest political party" were the original Republicans, in that they were social conservatives
3) Republicans freed the slaves
4) Just like many Brit's when arguing with an American you resort to stereotypes, insults, and strawmen arguments
5) Obama is a neocon with his policies meaning he isn't very different from Bush
6) You (typical of youngsters) are confusing Social Conservatives with all Conservatives
7) You make a ton of assumptions about me
8) I'm not for conservatives as I had pointed out.

Am I supposed to take you seriously? I mean when you've debated one Brit, you've debated them all "hurr durr Americans so dumb and self centered hurrr"

Regan is the worst modern president.
Reagan was shitty, no doubt about it but Obama, Carter, and Bush Jr were worse. With Reagan he at least did some things right like fix our oil issue, inflation, help us out of a recession. Obama has had absolutely no upsides in his presidency, Bush is probably in the same boat but at least with Bush we know what we are getting, Obama is Bush in a Liberals clothing. Carter was awful but he got Egypt and Israel to sign a peace treaty... which is fucking crazy. Reagan can only arguably be the worst modern president if we consider the long term effects he had on American and Conservative mindsets which is arguably the reason the Republican party is such shit

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Although I'm not touching the rest of this argument with a 10 foot pole, the republicans were arguably the more socially liberal of the parties when the slaves were freed.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Twisted Kneebar, you realize that a lot of the people who got "Solid Liberal" in this thread are not in America and their beliefs reflect the different political systems of their own countries, right?

And you're fucking 19, don't use the term "youngsters" when you're not even old enough to drink (legally).

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Both of you are acting so childish my god

"Death to liberals! No wait I'm not conservative when did I say that!"

Maybe you don't realize that conservatism is actually the opposite of liberalism? Also, don't confuse republican and democrat with conservative and libral, they have both changed sides throughout history. As was said, the republicans were the more leftist party at the time of the civil war and the democrats were more conservative.

Conservatism is also about making the rich richer and increasing social inequality, as well as being anti-gay (to an extent) and pro-religion (governments should not use imaginary sky-friends and the likes anywhere in their manifestos. Be religious all you want on a personal level, but never at the top)
lol wut

With your fantastic summary about conservatism, I'd say you're definitely on track to be the next political science instructor for the world.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yeah, that one post Brap made is almost completely wrong at face value.

Especially when you consider that "conservative" and "liberal" can mean different things in different countries...

And you're fucking 19, don't use the term "youngsters" when you're not even old enough to drink (legally).
No I'm not. Someone else made me this account a long time ago but I can't change that info. It is also the reason I started up with a ridiculous username (was Poop69 iirc) although luckily I was able to change that.
Why exactly is Carter a bad president? Everything I have seen about him shows him to be a pretty swell guy.
Carter is a swell guy but that doesn't mean he was a good president. There is a reason people don't look at the 70s with nostalgia. High inflation, oil crises, poor economy, American's being taken hostage, poor presidents.

Twisted Kneebar, considering the shocking expansion of the world with the internet & better and better international airplanes (making warfare weaponry easier and easier to utilize), I personally believe that Jimmy Carter was entirely underrated. With how important diplomacy came, and how great he was at it, I honestly think the US might be in much better shape if he had another term to his name.

idk why people take a quiz like this only to bitch about it lol
It was legitimately fucking awful, given that every couple of questions entirely fucking replicated each other, it was basically a 10 question quiz? The racial questions and "do you have money questions" were some of the least nuanced things I have ever seen.

jumpluff I am indignant as fuck about my result. Post-modern???? That not only accuses me of being an evan tier human being, but I am a god-forsaking nihilist >:(

Last edited:
1) Modern conservatism has nothing to do with slaves, excellent strawman though.
2) Democraps, "the oldest political party" were the original Republicans, in that they were social conservatives
3) Republicans freed the slaves
4) Just like many Brit's when arguing with an American you resort to stereotypes, insults, and strawmen arguments
5) Obama is a neocon with his policies meaning he isn't very different from Bush
6) You (typical of youngsters) are confusing Social Conservatives with all Conservatives
7) You make a ton of assumptions about me
8) I'm not for conservatives as I had pointed out.
1) Modern conservatism in the Republican party is almost entirely built on the back of opposition to the 1964 Civil Rights Act, take a look into the Southern Strategy employed by Richard Nixon, which has been used by virtually every Republican Presidential candidate to this day.

2 and 3) Anyone with a brain can tell you that there was a large realignment after LBJ's presidency, it's not even worth discussing Republicans before Nixon in the context of today's Republican party -- Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln would be ashamed of what their party has become.

5) Realistically Obama isn't getting any of his own policies passed and hasn't since the 2010 midterms, the only thing he's achieving right now is moderating the batshit of the far right.

6) It's not exactly a wide gap, given social conservatism has been a calling card of the vast majority of conservative candidates for notable office.

Reagan was shitty, no doubt about it but Obama, Carter, and Bush Jr were worse. With Reagan he at least did some things right like fix our oil issue, inflation, help us out of a recession. Obama has had absolutely no upsides in his presidency, Bush is probably in the same boat but at least with Bush we know what we are getting, Obama is Bush in a Liberals clothing. Carter was awful but he got Egypt and Israel to sign a peace treaty... which is fucking crazy. Reagan can only arguably be the worst modern president if we consider the long term effects he had on American and Conservative mindsets which is arguably the reason the Republican party is such shit
Reagan took an economy that was on the mend from Carter and it was collapsing into what would become the early 1990s recession by the end of his second term. Bush Sr (who had as much trouble with his own party as he did with the Democrats) and Clinton are the only decent Presidents since LBJ and Clinton signed a lot of utter shit in his second term that should've been vetoed.

1) Modern conservatism in the Republican party is almost entirely built on the back of opposition to the 1964 Civil Rights Act, take a look into the Southern Strategy employed by Richard Nixon, which has been used by virtually every Republican Presidential candidate to this day.

2 and 3) Anyone with a brain can tell you that there was a large realignment after LBJ's presidency, it's not even worth discussing Republicans before Nixon in the context of today's Republican party -- Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln would be ashamed of what their party has become.

5) Realistically Obama isn't getting any of his own policies passed and hasn't since the 2010 midterms, the only thing he's achieving right now is moderating the batshit of the far right.

6) It's not exactly a wide gap, given social conservatism has been a calling card of the vast majority of conservative candidates for notable office.
Agree with most points except 5. Drone strikes, invasion of privacy, shutting down medical marijuana clinics, etc are all things Obama has no issue passing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)